Jared Goff to be inactive for Rams' season opener/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

per rotoworld.

Case Keenum - QB - Rams
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos "kept tabs" on Rams QB Case Keenum this summer, and that the sides had trade talks.

It's highly unsurprising, as Keenum broke into the league under coach Gary Kubiak, making eight starts in 2013. Talks presumably broke down once the Rams realized No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff wasn't going to be anywhere near ready for Week 1. Keenum isn't many things, but he's definitely a better option than Trevor Siemian.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Then why make the move? I mean if we're comfortable with Keenum for the year, why not wait until next year? There were other positions we could have addressed.

Because they ARE thinking of next year. Wouldn't surprise (or disappoint) me if he didn't play this year.
I think the underlying complaint/sentiment is that if he's drafted #1, he should be a combo of Elway, Montana and Marino.
Just not reality in today's NFL. If he ends up as competent and durable as say, Andy Dalton, it's a huge win.
It's been analysed, so I won't repeat it, but the Rams did NOT give up the farm to move up.
I also think, that had they been guaranteed Lynch would have been available at 15, they'd have stood pat.
And USUALLY, when a QB is taken at #1, the team sucks. Luck really is all that - but lucked out (intended) being in the same division with HOU, JAC and TEN.

fearsomefour

Legend
I liked your post. The only quibble I would have is time frame. I would do cart flips and dance a gig o the riverfront is the Rams were better than 1-3 after the first 4 games. I think the the real point in the season is the bye week. If they are 3-4 or 4-3 they are not making a change, they still have a good chance given the last nine games. if it is 2-6 it will be Mannion. Anything worse (1-6 or 0-7) it will be Goff.
Fair enough.
I was just randomly selecting a slow start record. The bye week certainly makes sense.
I would say bye week or when he is ready or when the team is realistically out of a playoff run.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Broncos, Rams talked Case Keenum trade in August

• 0ap1000000222748.jpg
  • By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Sept. 8, 2016 at 07:26 p.m.
  • Updated: Sept. 8, 2016 at 07:42 p.m.

Trevor Siemian will make his first professional start in Thursday night's 2016 NFL Kickoff.

If not for a few twists and turns last month, it could have been Case Keenum starting for the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl 50 rematch with the Carolina Panthers.

Denver kept tabs on Keenum during the preseason, going as far as to conduct trade talks with theLos Angeles Rams, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source informed of the discussions.

The Rams would have required a "huge pick or player compensation" to move their Week 1 starter, Rapoport added, but the Broncos never offered a high enough draft pick or a talented cornerback such as Aqib Talib or Bradley Roby.

Broncos coach Gary Kubiak has a familiarity with Keenum going back to their days with the Houston Texans, when the former University of Houston standout started eight games over Matt Schaub during the 2013 season.

Once Siemian showed enough in training camp and preseason action to instill confidence in Denver's coaching staff, though, the Broncos pulled the plug on trade talks.

It's hard to imagine general manager John Elway surrendering a high draft pick or a valuable chip on his dominant defense for a physically limited quarterback who was winless in eight starts under Kubiak three years ago. The same quarterback was free for the taking in November of 2014 when Keenum was a street free agent for nearly two months after being waived by the Rams.

Even if rookie Paxton Lynch ends up displacing Siemian as the starter within the next couple of months, Kubiak and Elway ultimately reached the sensible conclusion on Keenum's value.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...oncos-rams-talked-case-keenum-trade-in-august

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ummm.... Goff had the 2nd strongest arm in last years draft .

Goff ball velocity 58
Sean Mannion 57
Case Keenum 55

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2016/03/02/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

So not sure about all those "myths"

There are also these things called facts that nfl scouts and coaches know about players.

You do know that velocity and arm strength are too different things and check the scouting report on Mannion too.57-58 is not a big difference at all so i hope you wasnt using that to make your point. I haven't heard Fisher or any scout compare Mannion against Goff when it comes to arm strength and last i check Mannion wasn't in last years draft so are we really talking facts or opinion, because its my opinion if Mannion was in that draft class he would have been in discussion as 1 of the top qbs in that class

Ellard80

Legend
You do know that velocity and arm strength are too different things and check the scouting report on Mannion too.57-58 is not a big difference at all so i hope you wasnt using that to make your point. I haven't heard Fisher or any scout compare Mannion against Goff when it comes to arm strength and last i check Mannion wasn't in last years draft so are we really talking facts or opinion, because its my opinion if Mannion was in that draft class he would have been in discussion as 1 of the top qbs in that class

Ball velocity and arm strength are not two different things....

Yeah not a huge difference but you said mannion clearly had a stronger arm.. which is false.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said it was the same or stronger which clearly you just supported. Velocity measures how fast a ball travels not how far which is what analyst and coaches use to describe arm strength. So yea two different things

Ellard80

Legend
I said it was the same or stronger which clearly you just supported. Velocity measures how fast a ball travels not how far which is what analyst and coaches use to describe arm strength. So yea two different things

No its not.. its what they use to measure arm strength...

find me a link that says its not.

So if I throw 100 mph I don't have a stronger arm than a guy who throws 91?

I think you must be trolling me....

Justin15w

UDFA
Name
justin15w
Every time I hear Goff speak, it makes me sad. I hope his football intelligence comes through.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No its not.. its what they use to measure arm strength...

find me a link that says its not.

So if I throw 100 mph I don't have a stronger arm than a guy who throws 91?

Velocity is a measure of speed not distance you have it confused you can throw it 100 miles per hr but how far can you throw it. Its like a cheetah running its very fast but it cant run for long. While velocity is good for shorter throws and fitting the ball into tight spaces its not good for deep balls.

ve·loc·i·ty
vəˈläsədē/
noun
  1. the speed of something in a given direction.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Mind over matter...If your mind isn't in the game. Everything else is irrelevant.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

No he isn't. He is a regular, and as you can see there is a variety of different opinions here on ROD. Alot of people here will bump heads, but in the end we all want winning results for the Rams.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No he isn't. He is a regular, and as you can see there is a variety of different opinions here on ROD. Alot of people here will bump heads, but in the end we all want winning results for the Rams.

Thanks brother and @Ellard80 i hope you didnt think I was trolling you at all thats definitely not what i do I love having discussions agreements, disagreements thats what ROD is about. I spent time on other boards were a disagreement turns into a full fledge war, were as here we actually talk it through and sometimes opinions can be changed sometimes not but it always stays classy and respectful.

Ellard80

Legend
Velocity is a measure of speed not distance you have it confused you can throw it 100 miles per hr but how far can you throw it. Its like a cheetah running its very fast but it cant run for long. While velocity is good for shorter throws and fitting the ball into tight spaces its not good for deep balls.

ve·loc·i·ty
vəˈläsədē/
noun
  1. the speed of something in a given direction.

My dude...

I figured you would probably keep arguing this. Ball velocity is how NFL scouts measure arm strength. This velocity is different them arm strength theory you have... there is no one saying that anywhere. Find me any article the differentiates between the two. I can't find any... they all talk about velocity and arm strength as related/the same thing.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My dude...

I figured you would probably keep arguing this. Ball velocity is how NFL scouts measure arm strength. This velocity is different them arm strength theory you have... there is no one saying that anywhere. Find me any article the differentiates between the two. I can't find any... they all talk about velocity and arm strength as related/the same thing.

I guess my understanding of velocity is different maybe webster needs to include nfl language too because they seem just as confused as me. Anyway his 58 is greater than Mannion 57 so you win.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol what took you so long.

Trying to decide if it's worth the fight. Decided it is worth a minimal fight. Mannion's arm is unimpressive. Ball doesn't jump out of his hand like it does Goff's.