Jared Goff to be inactive for Rams' season opener/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
This is a tough situation, but I will continue to say Goff coming from an offensive system that compares to Kelly's in Philly/SF is causing much of the problem. He's having difficulties with those details/facets of being an NFL QB. Talent aside, it's going to take time for him to understand, let alone master what it takes to be a top level QB. I want to see him play as much as anyone, but I cannot see them forcing him into a situation where he fails. It's a very long season and anything can happen between now and February. He will continue competing on the practice field, in the meeting room, etc., etc. I believe he has the talent to be a great one, but not at the expense of having him start before he's ready.

I think that's the point. With Fisher, it's always HIS overriding philosophy on offense, damn the offensive pieces he drafts.

He started out drafted guys for a speed O. More Detroit or Falcons. Half-asses it then gave up.

Square peg. Round hole. Over and over again.

You adapt your O to your QBs skills. And system familiarity and go from there. Titans did it with Mariota. Hags with Wussell. You think he'd be successful with them trying to turn him into Brees? He'd fail! Hard! So they let him manipulate and escape and break from the pocket.

I don't think Fisher, between Sam and Goff, have done much adapting what skill set they have or design a system around the QB. Square peg round hole.

Goff was put in a position to NOT start from day one. The delusion is thinking he'd have started regardless.

Would Keenum look good or like shit playing with 2s and 3s?

Would Goff look better with more time spent with players he will actually be playing with? Fisher made sure fans etc would never know the answers to those questions.

Man can't handle offense. He's totally clueless.

He sure knows how to stop it tho. Including his own.

Athos

Legend
Name one other than Foles.

You can't..........because the Fisher/QB thing is a HUGE myth.

Who said I was referring to just a QB. I take the QB as the orchestra director of the entire show. It's QB experiments and it's also experiments WITH QBs. Experiments with offense. Musical chairs. Musical chair coordinators. Coordinators who want nothing to do with Fisher. The experiments of wonder boy smart guys to raise the Rams from mediocrity.

It's all encompassing around the QB tho.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah, they could do that, but why would the coaches want to take away a large chunk of what they can do in the passing game just to accommodate one guy? I mean, that doesn't really seem smart - or fair to the other players who have been there longer and are ready to embrace the whole of the playbook.

If he gives you a better chance at winning due to more talent, then I say go for it. I think that Goff's talent is high enough that he gives us a good chance to win, plus it helps him digest and learn the speed of the game. I'm okay with Keenum, I think he'll be fine as a QB, but if thought enough of Goff to give up that much to move to number one, then we know that Keenum isn't the answer.

That's exactly what I was proposing had they drafted Wentz. I don't think that's a smart move with Goff though.

I agree, that's not the type of QB he is, but there's always a way to make a QB more comfortable, especially when we have a back like Gurley.

I don't think they're going to wait on him to digest the whole playbook before we see him. I think they just want him to be able to recall all of the plays so that they can be comfortable with him having the specific plays for the following game memorized and repped. Aside from that, a couple more games of film and studying defenses would help him a lot. JMO.

I guess it depends on how much they want him to digest. I have to imagine he's smart enough that he has gotten enough down that he could play next Monday, it's just not at a level that makes it worth it (to the coaches eyes) to play over Keenum... I'm just curious what the threshold is.

Mannion earned his spot right now though. I know Goff is allegedly this second-coming, but he's also mortal and as green as The Hulk's balls. He hasn't looked great this preseason (which is fine, and closer to the norm than not), and the coaches are discovering that their plans to bring him along slowly are actually warranted. They didn't expect a no-huddle shotgun-exclusive QB to come in and immediately fit into their offense, And that's fine too. If they can get him more comfortable (see Fisher's comments about 'feeling'), we'll see him soon enough. None of this is on the coaches. None of it. They knew ahead of time what they were getting, they knew ahead of time how they were going to develop him, and so Goff's ability to get up to speed (on the coaches' timetable within the structure of the time they give him) is solely on Goff. Honestly, I'm glad they're making him earn it. I could give a crap where he was drafted. Still have to earn it.

I think he needs to earn it to, but if he was good enough to make that trade, then he should be good enough to play. I don't think that Mannion looked awful, but I don't think he looked great.. I don't like his movement in the pocket or his throws. He knows the playbook better, but talent wise I'm not comfortable with him leading the team, I think you'd see another Keith Null vs the Titans if he needed to play.. So I'd rather Goff get those snaps and help his development. Obviously his development is ultimately on him, but the coaches need to ensure they do him right. If they don't give him all the tools to succeed then that's on them, right now I'm not 100% sure they're giving him all the tools to succeed. I don't know what's going on behind closed doors obviously, but I'm not convinced at this point they're doing the best thing for his development. He could still develop into a great QB, obviously, but it could lengthen the time it takes for, in my opinion, no real reason.

But none of us are NFL coaches, so what the fuck do we know anyway?

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Relax.

Fish is like a modern day version of George Allen with an aversion to playing rookies until they "prove" to him they are more than ready.

Hopefully, Gurley and Cunningham will churn through the Sanny Frannies for 250 yards rushing and the qb is an after thought.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't care how you look at it: Fisher screwed up preparing Goff, Goff doesn't know the offense, Goff actually isn't a good QB... this is a clusterf*** of epic proportions and just does not look good for a pick we traded a ransom for to get.

Statistically, the chances are we've already screwed the pooch here. Ah well, what's 10 more years of misery with this team!

RamWoodie

Legend
It's ok by me. Actually Fisher would have made me question him more if he would have had Goff over Mannion. The fact that he ranked Goff 3rd string let me know he's about this team winning first.

The question for me now is how the offense attacks. I know Fisher is a ball control guy...and that doesn't bother me. What will bother me is if the passing attack remains so predictable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think he needs to earn it to, but if he was good enough to make that trade, then he should be good enough to play.
I don't really have a problem with anything you said, but this does deserve a little more attention and/or scrutiny. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression here, but who says he was good enough to make that trade? In a QB starved market and the Rams out of reach of the consensus top two (in a semi-weak class, IMO), then it really was just a matter of supply/demand. Giving up that much capital should be reserved for someone of Elway's or Peyton's caliber. Hell, I saw a few early mocks that had Goff falling to the Rams based on his intangibles and projected success. And again, I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression here, but what he isn't as great as people think he should be right now? What if he really does need the time the Rams had planned on giving him? What if the coaches, scouts, and GM were right? If they were, then easing him into the role makes perfect sense.

At any rate, you're right. The fuck do we know? lol. We're not exposed to a fraction of what they see every day.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Relax.

Fish is like a modern day version of George Allen with an aversion to playing rookies until they "prove" to him they are more than ready.

Hopefully, Gurley and Cunningham will churn through the Sanny Frannies for 250 yards rushing and the qb is an after thought.

Yeah, Coach Sutter of the Kings is the same way... So we had a guy that scored over 50 goals and 100 points in juniors his final two years, a little over 60 games per year, and he doesn't give him top 6 time until after his rookie deal ended and he resigned for two years, and he scored 31 goals in the season, highest for the team.. So the Kings get two years of that type of player before he breaks the bank, instead of five.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't really have a problem with anything you said, but this does deserve a little more attention and/or scrutiny. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression here, but who says he was good enough to make that trade? In a QB starved market and the Rams out of reach of the consensus top two (in a semi-weak class, IMO), then it really was just a matter of supply/demand. Giving up that much capital should be reserved for someone of Elway's or Peyton's caliber. Hell, I saw a few early mocks that had Goff falling to the Rams based on his intangibles and projected success. And again, I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression here, but what he isn't as great as people think he should be right now? What if he really does need the time the Rams had planned on giving him? What if the coaches, scouts, and GM were right? If they were, then easing him into the role makes perfect sense.

At any rate, you're right. The freak do we know? lol. We're not exposed to a fraction of what they see every day.

Then why make the move? I mean if we're comfortable with Keenum for the year, why not wait until next year? There were other positions we could have addressed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Then why make the move? I mean if we're comfortable with Keenum for the year, why not wait until next year? There were other positions we could have addressed.
I don't know if I wanna get into that right now. I have some theories.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I dont give a crap about the media, I'm worried about what all this negative attention does to our young QBs confidence.

If that shakes the young man's confidence, there are much bigger problems than not seeing the field week 1.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Next week we'll flip 'em."
Fisher has no intention of keeping Goff at the #3 spot. Just taking his time is all.
So, yeah.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Fisher-Goff-is-probably-going-to-be-inactive-Week-1/5b619cb2-3194-418b-a2d5-df1da9779c45
I'm sorry I was going to avoid this discussion because everything said in here has been said in a dozen other threads. But anybody who sees Fisher say this and not think less of him? This is beyond idiotic to swap 2nd and 3rd stringers for no reason? If Goff would be capable of being the #2 next week vs Seattle he sure as hell is ready to be #2 this week @Whiners. He keeps proving how inept he is with the offense.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Hey! I got a prediction right!

It's no big deal, let the kid learn and earn.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well that was enjoyable a few well thought out responses and a lot of laughs reading through the whole thread.

My first question would be where do you guys get all the inside information? It sounds like some of you know what the plan was on Goff's development and are very disappointed that he isn't looking like a veteran starter.

And others thinking Fisher just wants to fuck with him because he's a rookie, that's brilliant.

I don't have a clue what their plan was. I do know the CBA sucks ass and has taken the teaching aspect out of the hands of the teams and it needs to be corrected. I also understand college are not obligated to develop palyers for the NFL so thinking they should come out ready to play in the NFL, ridiculous. Universities have their own problems getting the majority of these guys through classes and keeping them on the field while dealing with all the cry babies looking for a safe place to get their philosophy degrees.

Goff is going to be good. Fisher says he has progress well but that he isn't up to speed for calling the plays. How does that equate to he's fucking up our new toy????? It may take a few extra weeks maybe even until 2017 before he's handed the reigns. BFD

Said it before, this is not the LA Goffs, I want to see this team win and Goff isn't ready, was never going to be ready and there is no one here who has anything more than their opinions about why and when he'll start.

Relax and root for Keenum and the rest of the LA RAMS to win, that is the bottom line.

It takes a talented self taught musician time to learn how to read music if they haven't yet. Give Goff some slack. Some of ya'll are jumping to conclusions way to fast. If our late rounders and undraftees all bust then ya we should be worried.