Jalen + ??? (The most intriguing camp battle)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Huge fan of the kid and if he played at South Carolina instead of South Carolina State, he would've went in the early 2nd round. Durant has confidence is not going to play scared and will get right in any receivers grill....I'll take that with hope that Robert Rochell & David Long continue to improve.

If Durant was an inch or two taller, I feel that he'd have gone in the first round. I feel that we got a steal.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
@RamsOfCastamere is our ROD English teacher and he gets his hair frizzed up when any of us spell 2nd year small school talent sensation Robert Rochell's last name incorrectly.

Yes Mr. Castamere, the correct name on his birth certificate is ROBERT R O C H E L L. So all of us need to quit spelling it (ROCHELLE)...

Thank you sir, for pointing out our sloppy ROD forum laziness.

Just playing my Rams brother, I have no issues with constructive criticism and spelling pet peeves.

R.d39e819283fc2d1c71cd8193291eef21
Thanks, someone gets it....now I can sleep at night lol.

I have typos in most of my posts and I'm constantly editing them. With the case of Mr. Rochell, I've seen it misspelled so many times by various posters that I think some believe his name ends with an 'e', so that's why I call it out.

If I really cared about spelling and grammar, I would have blocked So Ram a long time ago...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nobody on the roster has the ball skills Durant has. That is going to matter. He's going to lock up a spot.

It's been years since we drafted a ball skill guy with his kind of pattern match skills. Prob is we still need someone to lock down the outer hash as I'm assuming Durant's size will keep him in the slot.

Hill is insurance against all the other options there. He at least knows the calls and can plug right in and that is valuable.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

I have typos in most of my posts and I'm constantly editing them. With the case of Mr. Rochell, I've seen it misspelled so many times by various posters that I think some believe his name ends with an 'e', so that's why I call it out.

If I really cared about spelling and grammar, I would have blocked So Ram a long time ago...
I think I usually only use one "L", does that balance out the added "E"?:laugh1::laugh2:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That is a great a question @So Ram

The dime package is super important in today's NFL. Especially on obvious long yardage passing downs.

I don't have a strong guess at this time prior to training camp.

I'm deferring to the current depth chart, but when you add in all the possible dime packages with our DB group, it's very difficult to project at this time of the year.

They could have 2, 3 or 4 dime packages based on the strength of the other teams personnel.

Maybe...

CB - David Long
CB - Robert Rochell
CB - Troy Hill
CB - Jaylen Ramsey*
S - Jordan Fuller
S - Nick Scott

OR

CB - Robert Rochell
CB - Decobie Durant
CB - Troy Hill
CB - Jaylen Ramsey*
S - Jordan Fuller
S - Nick Scott

OR

CB - Robert Rochell
CB - Decobie Durant
CB - David Long
CB - Jaylen Ramsey*
S - Jordan Fuller
S - Nick Scott

OR

CB - Decobie Durant
CB - Troy Hill
CB - Jaylen Ramsey*
S - Terrell Burgess
S - Nick Scott
S - Jordan Fuller

OR

CB - Robert Rochell
CB - Decobie Durant
CB - Jaylen Ramsey*
S - Taylor Rapp
S - Jordan Fuller
S - Nick Scott

OR

CB - Troy Hill
CB - Decobie Durant
CB - Jaylen Ramsey*
S - Taylor Rapp
S - Jordan Fuller
S - Nick Scott

dime_defense.jpg

The way I see it is more

Wow - a lot of depth.The Rams will throw multiple looks at offenses though.Making it harder to pick on certain players.

The different rotations is going to be fun to watch. Shula will have his hands full.I wonder if The Rams will have make a trade?
I think T. Burgees is going to have more of an impact.Then again finding playing time is going to be difficult if everyone stays healthy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nobody on the roster has the ball skills Durant has. That is going to matter. He's going to lock up a spot.

It's been years since we drafted a ball skill guy with his kind of pattern match skills. Prob is we still need someone to lock down the outer hash as I'm assuming Durant's size will keep him in the slot.

Hill is insurance against all the other options there. He at least knows the calls and can plug right in and that is valuable.

Durant was what ? A 5th rd draft pick?
He has shown NOTHING as a NFL player.Hill & Long will be on the field a lot together.
RR31 was coming on late in the season.He got that broken wrist.My guess(better than any else’s) was he broke it doing that stupid slapping at the ball because Funk continues his running after the whistle. I could see that happening & it did.It was never really brought up,but best guess was that was how it happened.
Expect The Rams offensive line to wear there blue helmet paddings again. Looks goofy though & harder to see who is who from inside the helmets.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Durant was what ? A 5th rd draft pick?
He has shown NOTHING as a NFL player.Hill & Long will be on the field a lot together.
RR31 was coming on late in the season.He got that broken wrist.My guess(better than any else’s) was he broke it doing that stupid slapping at the ball because Funk continues his running after the whistle. I could see that happening & it did.It was never really brought up,but best guess was that was how it happened.
Expect The Rams offensive line to wear there blue helmet paddings again. Looks goofy though & harder to see who is who from inside the helmets.
Rochell missed time with a chest injury. I think you are thinking of Nick Scott, who played through a broken thumb.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rochell missed time with a chest injury. I think you are thinking of Nick Scott, who played through a broken thumb.

Good thing about the internet sometimes? Anyways I was at training camp & saw D.Williams trust his ankle when it happened. No one was paying attention.Right in front of me Reggie Scott had him over on the sidelines trying to figure out what happened.
RR31 was a surprise to me early.I thought he was going to take time in the NFL. Right away he was ahead of DD21.
Here is the injury & I’m sure I know what happened? I was not there & didn’t read the article.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Bobby Brown thing was interesting.I thought he would have had an impact free OTA’s never happened.
Greg Freaking Gaines played with a broken (wrist) something.He just showed such Toughness!!! There are some players that take it to the next level.
I think both RR31 & Bobby Brown are tough players.Just only asked to do so much.Reggie Scott & staff do such an excellent job taking care of players.
I think T. Lewis would have played hurt if Von Miller wasn’t a Ram.IMO The Rams try to set time tables on things & give players chances as well as taking care of others.

HENDO & E.Jones both cameback for The SuperBowl & made key plays to help The Rams win it.Without those 2 it would have made things a lot tougher.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree Hill is insurance against the kids - but can’t get on board with Hill not making the team. Hill will make the team out of TC, will play a lot and will be somewhere else in 2023.

I wonder if The Rams make a trade? They still drafted 3 more DB’s even after Durant & then the Hill trade.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think Durant can possibly become the starting SCB at some point after the bye. Durant allows Morris to go back to playing Ramsey at star or RCB. Rochell can lock down his LCB position this year. This will give the Rams about the fastest secondary in the NFL.
Ramsey, Rochell, & Durant all timed 4.3 with Nick Scott timed in the very low 4.4 range.

People forget how raw Rochell came in as a rookie and how fast he developed into a starter. He also has a reputation as a ball hawk. The Rams starting CBs are very fast as is their FS safety, Scott.

At this point their secondary looks good.

Tano

Legend

Sometimes So Ram makes my head spin

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'm going to temper my hopes for a rookie CB. I expect Durant to flash but also struggle at times. I highly doubt he'll be a lockdown CB year 1 and will be fighting for playing time between himself, Rochell, and Long. I however hope I'm wrong and he's the next Darrelle Revis lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a good way to look at Durant is to say he needs to show that he can play outside the hash or in the slot in order to win a starting job. Because McVay said they still want to move Ramsey around for matchups. Hill ensures they have someone to allow them to do that. Durant is the guy they are probably hoping can do it, so they can use Hill in packages moreso than as a primary in the scheme.

Re: Durant playing outside I am not sure he'll be able to do that. But when I compare him to the other choices he stands out. So we'll see, and bottom line for me is I'm high on this guy due to the ball skills which is something this secondary lacks, and the fact that he's got some cover skills on top of that which tell me he has a good chance to play early.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think a good way to look at Durant is to say he needs to show that he can play outside the hash or in the slot in order to win a starting job. Because McVay said they still want to move Ramsey around for matchups. Hill ensures they have someone to allow them to do that. Durant is the guy they are probably hoping can do it, so they can use Hill in packages moreso than as a primary in the scheme.

Re: Durant playing outside I am not sure he'll be able to do that. But when I compare him to the other choices he stands out. So we'll see, and bottom line for me is I'm high on this guy due to the ball skills which is something this secondary lacks, and the fact that he's got some cover skills on top of that which tell me he has a good chance to play early.
You've seemed to have tempered your enthusiasm of Durant a little bit.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I can’t imagine they are planning (or even hoping) Durant starts day 1 - let alone this year. If he kills it and forces their hand, sure they will love it. But I gotta figure they look at Hill (& Love along with RR) for this year and next year is when they plan the rookies to possibly make their mark.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You've seemed to have tempered your enthusiasm of Durant a little bit.
I think he's a slam dunk in the slot so still think he'll win that job. But certain matchups they may prioritize movement of Ramsey and when that happens he'll have to come off the field. Unless he can show he can play outside.

So yeah maybe a bit based on those unknowns. But I love this dude's game and we're going to feel him rookie season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just glad Hill is back. Quack QUACK quack quack