Jalen + ??? (The most intriguing camp battle)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I like the Rams' depth at CB.

That said, I'm hardly certain of the depth chart.

On one side, we have All-Pro Jalen Ramsey. His presence impacts the entire defense.

The other two primary spots (neither of which can be truly called a "slot" position given the way the Rams move Ramsey around) have many candidates (in no particular order):

David Long, Jr.
Robert Rochell
Troy Hill
Decobie Durant
Grant Haley
Derion Kendrick

The guy I think the Rams are hoping will emerge - and I agree with that sentiment is - Rochell. He has good size (6'0, 195) and is an elite athlete, having run a 4.39 forty and hitting 43" on the vertical jump at his Pro Day. If he can put those tools to work, he could become a long-term starter.

Troy Hill is the safe choice for the CB3 spot, and I feel comforted by his presence on the roster. Still, if one of the two rookies (Durant, Kendrick) can beat him out, all the better.

Long played better down the stretch than expected, but he still needs to show the consistency necessary to make him a viable long-term option. Given that he's on the final year of his contract, though, it might be better if a younger player beats him out.

Thoughts?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think it's a lot to hope that any of our late draft rookies earn a starting role by start of season or even by mid season this year but not impossible. Rochelle most likely will still need some seasoning to be a down to down starter on the outside. Hill's probably the odds-on-favorite for the starting spot at outside and then nickel with someone else taking the outside. But...

Long played better down the stretch than expected, but he still needs to show the consistency necessary to make him a viable long-term option. Given that he's on the final year of his contract, though, it might be better if a younger player beats him out.

... this to me is intriguing. If Long could provide the play game-in-and-game-out that he did down the stretch last year then we'd be in really great shape this year. But it's that consistency that's the key. Him taking the next step probably offers us the highest ceiling of play across from Ramsey next year.

Nick Scott has a similar issue it seems, when he's exhibiting consistent play he should be a starter at safety but his play is so streaky that even with a strong finish to 2020, he was unable to take the starting safety spot in 2021 from Rapp until injuries took hold.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jalen Hill and Rochel will be the three.

With a lot of David Long.

If you go back to 2020 when The Rams DB group was one of the tops in The NFL you can see a lot of similarity With this group now that Troy Hill is back.

First OFF imo Troy Hill is such an excellent pick up & Mcvay knows what Troy Hill means to The Rams.

1.Just a player that helps Jalen be Jalen even that much more by his Leadership.(I can go on)

2.The way David Long has the same kind of skill set only makes Offenses unsure of the coverages.

3. RR31 just has another veteran to learn from & trust.It allows him to play the island for the most part.He also gets to see Troy Hills work ethic.

The CB slot group has been good under Mcvay.Sean Mcvay has turned more to the defensive side of the ball.
—Shula is the new DB’s coach & Raheem Morris is a Great Mentor himself as a Old DB coach & HC for all that matters?

Like I said I can go back into it.

The Safety group is a whole nother Thing!!! The Rams depth is pretty solid & this only adds to The Rams special teams as well.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know that the OP meant positional battles, but I look forward to offense vs defense in practice. I understand that Ramsey and Robinson used to go at it in practice in Jacksonville. Also want to see Kupp rip everyone with his precise routes.....

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Listed by primary position/secondary position after bye week and going forward.

Ramsey RCB/Star
Rochell LCB/RCB
Durant SCB/LCB
Long Boundary backup/Nickel
Hill zone scheme nickel
Deayon Dime

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Listed by primary position/secondary position after bye week and going forward.

Deayon Dime
I don't think Deayon is coming back. Durant and his oily hips (fluidity) will showcase why Deion Sanders raved about him.

TexasRam

Legend
I would love to see one of the rookies play so well that he forces them to make him a starter. But that seems so unlikely.

I fully expect Long and Hill to get starter roles until beaten. Rochell would probably get lots of looks as well.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
For some reason I feel that Long will make a big contract year jump, and be gone next year (4th round comp. pick?).

Really happy that Hill is back. I feel Rams are entering this season better set at CB than last.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Long Jr showed up the final 4 games of the season and the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if he started beside Ramsey. I'd bet he beats out Rochel

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Long Jr showed up the final 4 games of the season and the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if he started beside Ramsey. I'd bet he beats out Rochel
That's very possible as Long did seem to improve and gain more confidence.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Hill & Long provide some decent experience at CB while we wait for Rochell to take over and the rookies to prove out. This may take all year. But I fully expect Long to play a lot in 2022 - and be playing elsewhere in 2023. Same with Hill.

This years secondary heavy draft is more about 2023+.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I expect Long to be the #2 CB out the gate with Rochell battling for it. I bet the Rams would love Rochell to win it coming out of camp.

Regardless, Long is going to be super important as will Hill.

Unless a young guy surprises in camp, my guess is the Rams plan is to bring them along slowly.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Hill & Long provide some decent experience at CB while we wait for Rochell to take over and the rookies to prove out. This may take all year. But I fully expect Long to play a lot in 2022 - and be playing elsewhere in 2023. Same with Hill.

This years secondary heavy draft is more about 2023+.

Whos waiting for Rochel to take over? I'm a bit confused here. What game or season was anyone watching that gave anyone the idea that Rochel was even close to starting next to Ramsey? I'm just being honest here, I saw absolutely nothing last season that gave me the idea that he was able to start let alone play well enough to start above Hill or even Long.

Is there even cool,-aid to drink at this point?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whos waiting for Rochel to take over? I'm a bit confused here. What game or season was anyone watching that gave anyone the idea that Rochel was even close to starting next to Ramsey? I'm just being honest here, I saw absolutely nothing last season that gave me the idea that he was able to start let alone play well enough to start above Hill or even Long.

I think it has to do with his physical tools, which are superior to Long's and Hill's. He got a taste of NFL play last year and, hopefully, he'll make a jump in year 2.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The best-case scenario is Rochel leapfrogs Hill and Long. If this happens we will have a stronger secondary.
I saw some flashes from RR and some rookie mistakes but he was getting real in-game experience which Long didn't aside from special teams in his first season(s). It took Hill a while to become the player he is as well. RR has a lot more athleticism than the former and is likely to get every chance to increase his on-field time. Personally Long I am cautiously optimistic about and I am hoping Hill is close to what he was in a slightly different role. All 3 are appx 5'11-6' but you can't teach 4.39

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

In training before he broke his hand he looked good.He showed cover skills at an early state.
When RR31 came in and was healthy he proved good CB skills.He had a nice INT that helped The Rams win.He had some bad luck injuries.
I saw enough that showed me he can be a cover CB.Of course he still has to prove it,but D. Williams struggled last season until he settled in.
It sucked when RR31 dove into the end zone to make a special teams play that meant nothing at the time.It just showed his talent &will giving up his body.
I don’t know how closely you watched last season.If nothing else he talks a good game in his interviews.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I am suspect about this group I feel we are one defender short. Long has never impressed me. 2020 we had DWill w Long that combo is better than any combo we currently have. DWill was playing lights out and Hill was good not great. Now we are missing a stronger db to mix in with what we got.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly feel that Hill is merely insurance in case one of our rookies or Rochell and/or Long can't go. Ramsey's obviously the starter on one side, but you've got guys like Rochell, Long, Durant, and Kendrick, all of whom I feel will make the team, unless someone really impresses - either an undrafted rookie (like Caesar Dancy-Williams, Daniel Isom, Duron Lowe, T.J. Carter) or a returning vet (Tyler Hall or Grant Haley).

That would be fine and dandy for Hill if we were only keeping four safeties. I think we keep five. Scott and Fuller are obvious, as are - in my opinion, Lake and Yeast. Then you have Rapp and Burgess, as well as an undrafted safety in McVea.

That's not even mentioning the fact that we're likely keeping ten total linebackers and possibly six defensive linemen.

With all of that, I don't see Hill making the team. I just don't. He's insurance in case Kendrick or Yeast backslide and/or if Burgess and/or Rapp are cut/traded, nothing more.