Jalen + ??? (The most intriguing camp battle)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I didn't want to be too mean

Edit - So Ram posts reminds me of getting a C in 5th grade Art class when I should have gotten an F because I did put in the effort on each task
Fair enough.Just glad you& Dang are getting a long.

Speaking of Long? David Long Imo is still the starting at least slot guy.Having Troy Hill back should really work in both players favor.Very similar in there playing style,plus the knowledge (experience) in The Rams defense.

I understand all the hope for 5th & 6th rd draft picks.If your doing 4th grade math from an NFL standpoint?
Well I’d say a 3rd rd pick with 3 years in The NFL as a starter from a SuperBowl winner vs. a 5th rd rookie is hard to forecast.

I know back in the day a 1st rd. QB would make more than most Veteran
QB’s over 5 years.A lot of that guaranteed(lol).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams secondary will be one of teams strongest groups in upcoming season​

By CliffJackson@CliffJacksonn Jun 4, 2022
1654355801606.png

This offseason, the Rams lost starting corner Darious Williams to the Jacksonville Jaguars in free agency. However, this move was expected, as the team simply could not afford to match the money Williams was able to get on the open market. With the loss of Williams, the Rams were forced to address the need to fill out the corner position opposite that of Jalen Ramsey.

During day 3 of the NFL draft, the team drafted Decobie Durant and Derion Kendrick, two corners to help bolster the depth of the corner back room. Those weren’t the only corners the Rams got on draft night, as they reunited with Troy Hill in exchange for a future late round pick. I expect Hill to get most of the snaps, however, with David Long Jr, Robert Rochell, and fan favorite Donte Deayon on the roster, the Rams will have a plethora of options in terms of fielding corners not named Jalen Ramsey.

In addition to the corners on the team, the Rams have young and solid safeties to help secure the back end of the defense. Young yet mature leader Jordan Fuller will assume the starting free safety spot, with fourth year players Taylor Rapp and Nick Scott battling out the right to be the strong safety. Sprinkle in third year man Terrell Burgess to add depth to the group, a man I am sure most Rams fans would like to see get more opportunities in the upcoming campaign.

The defensive backs get a massive boost as a whole due to the simple fact that they possess the best in the entire league in Jalen Ramsey. Fuller will only get better in year 3, and the competition between Nick Scott and Taylor Rapp will surely bring the best out of both men. The trade for Troy Hill will prove to be massive, as I believe he will pick up right where he left off in the 2020-2021 season. Do not be surprised when this young and hungry group makes a huge impact on the Rams defense next season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For some reason I feel that Long will make a big contract year jump, and be gone next year (4th round comp. pick?).

Really happy that Hill is back. I feel Rams are entering this season better set at CB than last.
I agree with you on Hill having a veteran return is huge in my eyes.

I do not see David Long being involved in any of the outside positions meaning covering the inside Slot receiver as the Nickle unless injuries come in hard.
I would love to see one of the rookies play so well that he forces them to make him a starter. But that seems so unlikely.

I fully expect Long and Hill to get starter roles until beaten. Rochell would probably get lots of looks as well.
Robert Rochell has more talent than Long & Hill...if healthy I would expect him getting a larger % of the defensive snaps after Jalen

Jalen Hill and Rochel will be the three.
Agreed these will be the main 3 corners going into the regular season.

I see rookies Decobie Durant & Derion Kendrick pushing David Long to the bench later in the season. Many recall that Long came on the good in the postseason but I believe that was due to the positive direction & info provided by veteran DB Eric Weddle.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I see rookies Decobie Durant & Derion Kendrick pushing David Long to the bench later in the season. Many recall that Long came on the good in the postseason but I believe that was due to the positive direction & info provided by veteran DB Eric Weddle.
Interesting take on Long, I felt his confidence got better, but I concur on Rochell having more upside, but Long seems to understand the scheme and his experience will be a plus. Durant IMO will be special as to Kendrick, I believe it will take a few years because he needs to adjust to the speed of the game because he doesn't have the make up speed when he's beat.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting take on Long, I felt his confidence got better, but I concur on Rochell having more upside, but Long seems to understand the scheme and his experience will be a plus. Durant IMO will be special as to Kendrick, I believe it will take a few years because he needs to adjust to the speed of the game because he doesn't have the make up speed when he's beat.
David Long is now much more favored here in ROD overall since this time last season. He did far better in his 3rd season most noticeably in the later stages of the 2021 season.

Many have Long cemented in as a starter with Ramsey on the outside corners. I see a pure Nickle in him very little more. As much playing time, David Long received last season & it was vast...... he had ONLY 1 INT. Long has played 3 seasons with the Rams & has only 1 INT for 3 seasons. Not much of a playmaker when he is on the field.

I see Long NOT being a Ram in 2023 since he will be a UFA in March & signed elsewhere this time next year. I see a possible longer future with UFA Troy Hill in 2023 than Long. Hill in his last 3 seasons with the Rams as a part-time player had 7 INT's compared to Long's 1.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
he had ONLY 1 INT. Long has played 3 seasons with the Rams & has only 1 INT for 3 seasons. Not much of a playmaker when he is on the field.
Well, 1 against the Bears and 1 against the Cardinals in postseason and the one against Kyler Murray & the Arizona Cardinals was a beauty.

1654442168690.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Sure appears this below article, offers up some facts on Corner David Long that would indicate that you are highly keen in your observations!:clap::thumbsup1:

Jalen Ramsey and David Long Jr. both ranked among top slot defenders, but who was higher?​

"Long who came in higher in the rankings."

"Long actually allowed the lowest opponent passer rating in the league last season for any slot defenders who played at least 20% of the team’s snaps."

oldnotdead

Legend
The secondary will evolve during the season. Long, Rapp and Scott will be FA and I think only Scott gets extended. After the Rams win their second Lombardi the secondary will be:

CBs Ramsey, Rochell, Durant
Safeties Fuller, Scott, Burgess, Lake, Yeast

IMO Fuller and Burgess have to have breakout seasons. The talent is there they just need to put it all together. Scott simply needs to stay on his current developmental projection. He has speed and is a thumper, which is a great combination for a FS.

Considering how much zone they play, Scott is like having another CB on the field.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Young yet mature leader Jordan Fuller will assume the starting free safety spot, with fourth year players Taylor Rapp and Nick Scott battling out the right to be the strong safety.

how does this make any sense? scott was so much better than fuller at the back. his range is much further than fuller's due to his great speed.

look at the big plays he made in the playoffs. fuller doesn't make those. the blowing up of aj green for an incompletion so murray could throw a pick 6 the very next play, intercepting the golden boy just before the half to put the rams in position to have an even bigger lead, blowing up dweebo in an instant, and just the threat of blowing up boyd in the superbowl forced a drop on 3rd down late in the game. these all were possible due to his speed back there, physically and in diagnosis.

the way i see it scott should have the free safety spot locked up right now. unless he doesn't transfer his form to this season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
how does this make any sense? scott was so much better than fuller at the back. his range is much further than fuller's due to his great speed.

look at the big plays he made in the playoffs. fuller doesn't make those. the blowing up of aj green for an incompletion so murray could throw a pick 6 the very next play, intercepting the golden boy just before the half to put the rams in position to have an even bigger lead, blowing up dweebo in an instant, and just the threat of blowing up boyd in the superbowl forced a drop on 3rd down late in the game. these all were possible due to his speed back there, physically and in diagnosis.

the way i see it scott should have the free safety spot locked up right now. unless he doesn't transfer his form to this season.

I have been questioning this line of thought for a long time now....and as of late we have been reading about this lately about the Rams 3rd yr safety Jordan Fuller.

You bring up just a few very good valid points on why Nick Scott should have won the lead position for the usual playing deep safety in this 2022 defense.

I have seen a few attempts (feebly) to fling up JF back in that same deep/free safety position. I have put up numerous posts on this past season easily found by searching. Sure looks like a nonconcern for most all Ram fans.

None of the articles written on JF have even slightly touched on this. JF has the talent to be a very good strong safety playing up in this defense. But JF lacks what is needed to make any plays deep. The fact is he rarely does. His plays are made up closer to the LOS.

It's obvious that DC Morris is fond of Taylor Rapp who is a decent strong safety type playing up close & is a much better force against the run vs the pass in coverage.

It's my hope that NS is the starting safety & is given the majority role of playing the back end of our secondary It would be a much better defense if JF is playing in the safety role that Taylor Rapp filled for DC Morris in 2022 regular season.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I feel good about our DBs. Mostly young and plenty of talent. We just need the chemistry to shine through.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The secondary will evolve during the season. Long, Rapp and Scott will be FA and I think only Scott gets extended. After the Rams win their second Lombardi the secondary will be:

CBs Ramsey, Rochell, Durant
Safeties Fuller, Scott, Burgess, Lake, Yeast

IMO Fuller and Burgess have to have breakout seasons. The talent is there they just need to put it all together. Scott simply needs to stay on his current developmental projection. He has speed and is a thumper, which is a great combination for a FS.

Considering how much zone they play, Scott is like having another CB on the field.
I will take it as a sign from Snead that he is looking forward with draft two safeties in this latest draft.

Quentin Lake sure appears to be close to what Nick Scott has in his backpack but not deep speed. QL is a strong deep coverage prospect who can play several types of deep coverage and has the range to be an effective ball hawk. However, QL has an outstanding high football IQ and impressive ball skills.

Playing behind deep safety Nick Scott this season should provide him the experience to be ready for a much bigger role when a large cadre of Ram DB's Rapp/ Scott/ Long/ Gervase & Hill enter free agency.

The other drafted Ram safety Russ Yeast played a ton of CB & Nickle in addition to safety. Yeast is also more of a deep safety that a box safety type like Taylor Rapp. So these two new safeties make this Ram secondary appear well blended.