Its official... we draft Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

"Keep Sammy upright!" - by drafting the Guard that excels in run blocking but struggles with pass pro! :D Love the irony.

If the battle cry is "Keep Sammy upright" , then you'd want matthews.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get this notion that drafting watkins/clowney = we can't possibly also protect sam...we still have another top 15 pick guys

iced

I don't get this notion that drafting watkins/clowney = we can't possibly also protect sam...we still have another top 15 pick guys

it's the extremist view... there is no question that we need a guard - which I think we take one with the 2nd pick...

the other opinion is drafting a tackle *if* Long and Saffold can't stay healthy to play LT...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it's the extremist view... there is no question that we need a guard - which I think we take one with the 2nd pick...

the other opinion is drafting a tackle *if* Long and Saffold can't stay healthy to play LT...

Yup this is exactly what I'm saying. we can still get a pretty elite talent with the 13th overall or even 2nd rounder

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A small trade down with Atlanta. Likely for less than people think. Draft Mathews.

^ my prediction

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Robinson, Mathews, and Taylor Lewan are all solid tackles. I got to believe we trade back for extra picks if we want a tackle. In a very deep draft we need those extra picks. Sammy Watkins caught 101 passes last year, and dropped 5.

Also worth pointing out that 70 or 71 of the 101 were either screen passes or caught within 5 yards of the LOS.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Keep Sammy upright!" - by drafting the Guard that excels in run blocking but struggles with pass pro! :D Love the irony.

If the battle cry is "Keep Sammy upright" , then you'd want matthews.

Well, you are also glossing over a few things:
1. This assumes that Robinson does struggle in pass pro...there are some out there that would disagree
2. This assumes that Robinson would struggle at pass pro at OG...which is a horse of a different color when compared to LT
3. This assumes that Robinson won't significantly improve with Paul Boudreau

I actually do favor Matthews...but I'm just saying those are all fair arguments a person could make.

And your logic could be flipped if someone wanted to by saying that why should we draft a WR that seemed to only catch screens and short passes in college? Just saying.

SierraRam

Recreational User
A small trade down with Atlanta. Likely for less than people think. Draft Mathews.

^ my prediction
An extra pick and Matthews would be nice, but Watkins looks like an exceptional player. This draft is deep at OL and WR but which positions drops off faster? I think there are O lineman in the 2nd-4th round that can help us immediately. The WR's after Watkins and maybe Evans look like guys we already have.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

^ my prediction
I'm willing to bet the Rams don't do that trade for at least a second round pick. Otherwise, the Rams will take Greg Robinson. Robinson just seems like the type of guy that Boudreau would want

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm beginning to wonder. Lewan's latest legal woes might very well make him available at #13 now.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Also worth pointing out that 70 or 71 of the 101 were either screen passes or caught within 5 yards of the LOS.

Sammy caught 10 passes from 6-10 yards. 10 passes from 10-20 yards. And he caught 10 passes that went at least 20 yards downfield. Sammy's drop rate was 4.49 and he average 8.48 yards after the catch.

Compare that to Kelvin Benjamin. His drop rate was 9.68 and he averaged 4.89 yards after the catch.
Benjamin caught 13 passes from 10-20 yards and 13 passes over 20 yards down field.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sammy caught 10 passes from 6-10 yards. 10 passes from 10-20 yards. And he caught 10 passes that went at least 20 yards downfield. Sammy's drop rate was 4.49 and he average 8.48 yards after the catch.

Compare that to Kelvin Benjamin. His drop rate was 9.68 and he averaged 4.89 yards after the catch.
Benjamin caught 13 passes from 10-20 yards and 13 passes over 20 yards down field.

Interesting that one would choose the raw Benjamin to make a comparison.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So he caught 30 passes over the entire season that were 6+ yards down the field.

Why compare it to Kelvin Benjamin? Why not compare it to his closest competition in Mike Evans?

Mike Evans caught 12 passes from 6-10 yards, 10 passes from 11-20 yards, and 17 passes that were 20+ yards down the field. Evans's drop rate was 4.29% and he averaged 7.63 yards after the catch.

So why would we favor Watkins over Evans who dropped less passes while making more difficult catches?

And couldn't someone easily claim that Watkins struggles catching passes 6+ yards down the field because he only caught 30 passes in that range this year despite having over 100 catches? That's the logic a lot of people use when they say Robinson isn't a good pass blocker.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm beginning to wonder. Lewan's latest legal woes might very well make him available at #13 now.

As I said in the other thread, want nothing to do with Lewan. Dirty, out of control player on the field and a problem off of it. Plus, I don't think he's as good as he's made out to be.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Since its "official" - here's what we're really going to do....officially;

Trade down with Atlanta at 6.

With the sixth pick of the 2014 NFL draft the St Louis Rams select - Sammy Watkins, Wide Receiver, Clemson.

And then - just as we've watched a few youtube highlight reels watched and got another beer out of the fridge because we went crazy and the last one turned into foam that's now all over the couch.....

With the thirteenth pick of the 2014 NFL draft the St Louis Rams select - Greg Robinson, Offensive line, Auburn.

Cue me going nutz....

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I guess I missed the Rams announcement that this is officially who they're going to pick. Been offline for a while.

GO RAMS!!!!

The Bus

UDFA
Name
Chad
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since its "official" - here's what we're really going to do....officially;

Trade down with Atlanta at 6.

With the sixth pick of the 2014 NFL draft the St Louis Rams select - Sammy Watkins, Wide Receiver, Clemson.

And then - just as we've watched a few youtube highlight reels watched and got another beer out of the fridge because we went crazy and the last one turned into foam that's now all over the couch.....

With the thirteenth pick of the 2014 NFL draft the St Louis Rams select - Greg Robinson, Offensive line, Auburn.

Cue me going nutz....

When do we put the joint down?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think i'll start a thread with the title "Its official...Rams win Super Bowl XLIX"

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
So what your saying is....You prefer Mack?