It's getting ridiculous

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Might as well run a 1-1-9 Defense.
Sure, it's a tongue in cheek comment.
But an ameoeba front, with one down lineman (but not 9 dbs), would be different.
Yeah, it was bigger 5-10 years ago, and is probably a bit obsolete now, but hey, it'd be . . . interesting (?).

capture-e1543859144409.jpg

Defensive end Trey Flowers was the only down lineman. He was lined up over the center. Behind him, seven players — linebackers Kyle Van Noy, Dont’a Hightower and John Simon and safeties Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon, Patrick Chung and Obi Melifonwu — formed an ever-moving blob, bouncing from left to right, toward the line and away from it as Cousins and Minnesota’s offensive linemen went through their pre-snap checklists.

Malibu

Pro Bowler

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course nobody in any organization would come out and say “the expectation is not to be competitive” but it goes without saying based on the moves that have been made. McVay is always going to try his best to compete (just like last season) but the organization isnt giving him the tools in 2023 to actually win games.

For McVay to come back for this season means he is in it for the long haul. 2024 is our next legitimate shot.
The 'Hags were supposed to suck this year. They nailed their draft and the rookies performed at a high-level and they challenged for the division.

Not likely but it's not out of the question that the Rams could perform similarly...

oldnotdead

Legend
If they nail just the first three picks this team will be a competitive team. The remodel won't be complete until next year but nail those picks and this will be a winning season.

2nd rd. Edge
3rd rd. CB, ILB

5th rd. QB2, PK, RB3
6th rd. P, OLB, DT
7th rd. LS, DB

People are in an uproar but we haven't seen their draft or final roster yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The 'Hags were supposed to suck this year. They nailed their draft and the rookies performed at a high-level and they challenged for the division.

Not likely but it's not out of the question that the Rams could perform similarly...
Yes and it was clear that was a strong draft right away but even after admitting I liked their draft I didn't think they would get decent QB play. They did though.

Problem for them is will that continue. I doubt it. But they are a great example for us here.

Tano

Legend
If they nail just the first three picks this team will be a competitive team. The remodel won't be complete until next year but nail those picks and this will be a winning season.

2nd rd. Edge
3rd rd. CB, ILB

5th rd. QB2, PK, RB3
6th rd. P, OLB, DT
7th rd. LS, DB

People are in an uproar but we haven't seen their draft or final roster yet.
You have stated that Stafford may not be ready next year. Are you saying we will still have a winning season next year without Stafford?

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
You have stated that Stafford may not be ready next year. Are you saying we will still have a winning season next year without Stafford?
We probably don't have a winning season with him. Absolutely no shot without him.

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Its interesting to me that Wagner, Robinson and Floyd all remain unsigned.

Perhaps the Rams' valuation of these players is consistent with the rest of the league?

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m looking forward to the new on field camp reports for 2023 from Vet and Bubba as the way things are going they’ll be needed to play. Hopefully they’ll be able to get them out of the beer tent though.

dang

Legend
I know it’s beating a dead horse but WHO on this forum thought the Rams would be a viable playoff team next year by staying the course. It’s painful but apparent McVay didn’t see that happening and he’s not the kind of person that is satisfied with that. Especially having tasted the ultimate glory of a Super Bowl win. My recommendation is give him 2 years to retool/rebuild. If that fails at least he tried but he will be rightfully subjected to serious doubt. Until then let THE MAN do his job!!

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
While we might not get the #1 pick, we almost assuredly will have a top 10, if not top 5 pick. I'm not sure how we won't at this point. I'm not all doom and gloom either, I'm just using the facts as I see them. Have we improved since our 5 win team last year? I guess that is subjective because our main issue all year long was injuries. Mainly the OL and Stafford/Kupp. Has anyone heard if Stafford is even cleared to practice yet? That spinal injury that he suffered is reported to often have over a year recovery and is increasingly likely to reoccur, particularly in a violent game like football. It is entirely possible that the organization is well aware of this and know that we aren't going anywhere without Stafford in the lineup, thus moving all our assets to '24, knowing we are not contenders this season.

In reality, isn't it the smartest and best decision for the franchise going forward if the above might be true?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
While we might not get the #1 pick, we almost assuredly will have a top 10, if not top 5 pick. I'm not sure how we won't at this point. I'm not all doom and gloom either, I'm just using the facts as I see them. Have we improved since our 5 win team last year? I guess that is subjective because our main issue all year long was injuries. Mainly the OL and Stafford/Kupp. Has anyone heard if Stafford is even cleared to practice yet? That spinal injury that he suffered is reported to often have over a year recovery and is increasingly likely to reoccur, particularly in a violent game like football. It is entirely possible that the organization is well aware of this and know that we aren't going anywhere without Stafford in the lineup, thus moving all our assets to '24, knowing we are not contenders this season.

In reality, isn't it the smartest and best decision for the franchise going forward if the above might be true?
Absolutely if Stafford is done, it's a smart move.

But for the sake of discussion, let's say he's not. You don't think with a healthy Stafford & Kupp, as well as a healthy O line.....even if we don't add to it in free agency.....this team can't improve significantly on the 5 wins? Does that equate to 9 or 10 wins? Less? I'm sure if it does, the young defense is being factored into the equation as being unlikely to play a decent game. What do we need them to 'average' to get there? 21 pts a game (like the 2022 D @ 20.7)? Less? A little more?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Significantly? I'm not sure about that. IMO, our 2 rival divisional opponents have improved by a fair amount and one of them has a lot of draft capital to improve even more. As it stands now, I see it (with a healthy Stafford, Kupp, OL, Donald):
HOME
Seattle Seahawks L
San Francisco 49ers L
Arizona Cardinals W
Philadelphia Eagles L
Washington Commodes
New Orleans Saints
Cleveland Browns L
Pittsburgh Steelers
AWAY
Seattle Seahawks L
San Francisco 49ers L
Arizona Cardinals W
Dallas Cowboys L
New York Giants
Green Bay Packers
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals L
Indianapolis Colts W

That's 3 fairly confident wins only, I'm a bit torn on the games where I didn't indicate W/L, because we need to see what we have and what they do. By all accounts, our defense currently is bottom 10 at least on paper. There are only a few that I'd rank lower honestly. Luckily, we have all world HOF talented Donald, but, he will get tripled teamed with currently starting front.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Absolutely if Stafford is done, it's a smart move.

But for the sake of discussion, let's say he's not. You don't think with a healthy Stafford & Kupp, as well as a healthy O line.....even if we don't add to it in free agency.....this team can't improve significantly on the 5 wins? Does that equate to 9 or 10 wins? Less? I'm sure if it does, the young defense is being factored into the equation as being unlikely to play a decent game. What do we need them to 'average' to get there? 21 pts a game (like the 2022 D @ 20.7)? Less? A little more?

Thing is it's extremely hard to do it that way at this moment we haven't seen improvement on the offense and yes getting a healthy Stafford will be improvement but if the o-line struggles or is sub par a healthy god bk there wouldn't make a difference.

Then the defense if it was same defense from last year and we got Stafford bk then chance to win a few more games with a weaker schedule but again o-line pivotal. However the defense RT now seems to be constructed to give up 35 PTS a game and with no offensive upgrade and a questionable o-line it's impossible to answer that til we see this plan unfold.

Tano

Legend
as anyone heard if Stafford is even cleared to practice yet? That spinal injury that he suffered is reported to often have over a year recovery and is increasingly likely to reoccur, particularly in a violent game like football. It is entirely possible that the organization is well aware of this and know that we aren't going anywhere without Stafford in the lineup, thus moving all our assets to '24, knowing we are not contenders this season.
This is my very concern as well

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Losing about 20 players after going 5-12 and expecting to do better is a tall order. There is still time to add players but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we get spanked this season. Our defense will get schooled with the current players we have. That alone puts massive pressure on our offense to score every drive. I just don't see that happening without players making unexpected massive improvement plus hitting big in the draft.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Thing is it's extremely hard to do it that way at this moment we haven't seen improvement on the offense and yes getting a healthy Stafford will be improvement but if the o-line struggles or is sub par a healthy god bk there wouldn't make a difference.

Then the defense if it was same defense from last year and we got Stafford bk then chance to win a few more games with a weaker schedule but again o-line pivotal. However the defense RT now seems to be constructed to give up 35 PTS a game and with no offensive upgrade and a questionable o-line it's impossible to answer that til we see this plan unfold.
The last 2 seasons, the worst defense in the NFL allowed 27.2 (Chicago; 2022) and 29.6 (NYJ; 2021) but you think we're "constructed" to give up 35 PPG? Seems a bit of an exaggeration. We're not even done being constructed yet. And any defense with Aaron Donald on it WILL NOT be the worst defense in the league. I would be willing to bet on that.

Your point "its extremely hard to do it that way" meaning what way? Rebuilding the offense by getting the OL healthy, the QB and WRs healthy and adding a little to the whole thing? Rebuild the defense by keeping your best overall defender, your best young defender and adding to it with new talent? Both?

I know you're probably in that camp, "the OL sucked before injuries began", so I won't convince you of anything there. Maybe just settle for you being surprised. On the defense, they have a way to go but thankfully, it's March 24th and all the available free agents haven't been signed by everybody else nor have all the good draft picks been taken.

Truth is right now we're in the same boat as half the league. If you don't believe that, take a look around.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ILB might be the last thing on my list to draft in our first few picks.