Is Matthew Stafford a HOFer in Waiting?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Hard to justify him being in the hof with a losing record. Not many qbs in the hall with a losing record.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Think about Torry Holt, 2 All- pros, 7 Pro bowls. Several records and a Lombardi. 10 years of eligibility and cant get in.
WR in the Hall is backed up worse than @Loyal after a cheese festival. If he was a WR the conversation would be different yeah.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Hall of Fame has become the Hall of Very Good so I think the argument for yes/no is more towards Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers & Carson Palmer than it will be for Stafford.
I think Stafford is in if he never threw another pass

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Hard to justify him being in the hof with a losing record. Not many qbs in the hall with a losing record.
He's 98-107-1. If the Rams can go 11-6 the next 2 years he'd be 120-119-1.

Namath: 62-63-1 / 1 Lombardi
Sonny Jurgensen: 69-71-1 / 0 Lombardi's
Dan Fouts: 86-84-1 / 0 Lombardi's
Warren Moon: 102-101 / 0 Lombardi's

I think the keys are either winning record or Lombardi. And I think the Lombardi outweighs the record.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
But the lack of Pro Bowls/all-pros and any MVPs is going to be a problem. He’s going to be stacked up vs 8-10 year pro bowl guys that were recognized as the best at their positions for several years.

Had it been Mahomes, Allen, Dak or Brady at the time instead of Stafford, they win Super Bowl MVP over Kupp…I thought Stafford won that game down the stretch without a running game as you mentioned.

Not disagreeing with your points, just emphasizing that it could have gone another direction and Stafford’s induction to the HOF is more a no-brainer.

jap

Legend
No NFL QB in history had a more epic postseason run than Matthew did, punctuated by that incredible no-look toss on the game-winning drive!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Another Super Bowl ring would cement it IMO

Or possibly…
Play another 2-3 years and put up big numbers and winning records

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If QB win % matters, then Jim McMahon and Danny White should be in since they both are in the top 10 highest win %

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
I think Stafford is great. But I don't think gets in without another SB win. A SB MVP would help a ton too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The production and longevity combined with the clutch play during the Super Bowl run and ultimately a Lombardi, has Stafford in the conversation.

But the lack of Pro Bowls/all-pros and any MVPs is going to be a problem. He’s going to be stacked up vs 8-10 year pro bowl guys that were recognized as the best at their positions for several years.

Think about Torry Holt, 2 All- pros, 7 Pro bowls. Several records and a Lombardi. 10 years of eligibility and cant get in.

Realistically, I think Staffords only chance for the Hall would another Lombardi or a few MVP/All pro seasons.

The Good news is we have a beefed up Oline, and top notch skilled players for Stafford to have an MVP type season. Not to mention boy genius burning the late night candle in his lab.
Comparing the log jam at WR for the HOF and the QB position is apples and oranges. I think the Story that Matthew has puts him over the top already, but another Lombardi or two wouldn't suck!

View: https://i.imgur.com/xAgHhfM.gif

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think Stafford has the credentials to be a Hall of Famer right now. But is he a first ballot Hall of Famer? Probably not. Play 3 more years and win another championship would probably seal the deal. A Superbowl MVP and he's first ballot hands down.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
His problem is the era he played in. How many QBs had their prime the last 15 years who either are or will be in the Hall?

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees...then the next tier with Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan, maybe Eli Manning. All those guys have more yards and TDs than Stafford.

Losing record as a starter, only two Pro Bowls and no All Pros.....He needs an MVP season or another Super Bowl run for him to be a serious candidate.
This is pretty much it. He is a HOF talent for sure. But that is not enough. The Rams have really fortified the offensive line this off-season. So I think Matthew's individual stats will stay very productive if not only increase with age given that level of protection. If the Rams can win another Super Bowl with him at the helm, or if he has a career year individually and can snag an MVP, I think he gets in. Otherwise, I don't think he makes it even if after watching him I think he'd deserve it - too many irrelevant losing seasons in Detroit, with too many of those strong statistical campaigns being considered mere stat padding outings. Remember the "Stat Padford" jokes? If he came to LA sooner he might be a lock.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Stafford is (IMO) a lock for the HOF. The arm talent is too great to keep him out. He was the QB for 2 of the greatest WR seasons in history (3 if you count Puka, which I do come to think of it).

He battled through injury after injury..... And terrible team management. Never complained. The dude has been a football legend since high school and has a Superbowl winning drive to boot. Can't deny him a jacket.

Does anyone here really think Eli Manning or Matt fucking Ryan is really as good a QB as Stafford? I just don't see it.

Last edited:

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very simply YES he is in. Lucky for us that if the stats are needed he plays another 2 or 3 years in the HORNS!

jap

Legend
If this Horns OL gels very early, all opposing defensive coordinators should be very, very afraid. Are you kidding me, the Soul Stealer shielded by a Battering Ram OL? How do you expect to win?

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Has a chance. Still needs to do more. What he does over next few years will make the difference.

HOF talent, elite traits, but also had one or two poor traits. .. but the SB win is the best thing on his resume. Then the comebacks.
Up and down in Detroit.

He's not in just yet, but is moving that way