Is Jo Jo Natson on the Bubble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
PR competition includes Austin Proehl, Mike Thomas, Nick Scott?, Greg Gaines? - so I would say he in the outside looking in.
My first thought was to agree that JoJo would be on the outside looking in. ONLY way he can make the team is as a PR.

OTOH... who the heck else can be our PR? No freaking way I want Thomas back there, he had a major case of the dropsies during his limited reps. Nick Scott will be a ST ace for sure, but does it have to be as a PR? Don’t see much experience from David Long as a PR?

Under normal circumstances I think JoJo would be out... just don’t know there are many other viable PR options on this roster right now.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My first thought was to agree that JoJo would be on the outside looking in. ONLY way he can make the team is as a PR.

OTOH... who the heck else can be our PR? No freaking way I want Thomas back there, he had a major case of the dropsies during his limited reps. Nick Scott will be a ST ace for sure, but does it have to be as a PR? Don’t see much experience from David Long as a PR?

Under normal circumstances I think JoJo would be out... just don’t know there are many other viable PR options on this roster right now.

And there's still time.

Natson made the team because of Cooper's injury. Not because the Rams felt that it was worthwhile out of training camp to carry a one trick pony, whose one trick wasn't that good.

I'm sure a number of picks and UDFAs are going to do all they can to replace him. It's not like Natson was a star returner - just better than the other options, but to save $150k and add versatility, I'm sure the team will consider going with one of the other options. IOW, he has to clearly win the position. Based on 2018, I'm not sure he can be clearly better than more versatile players.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jo Jo Natson gives the Rams an average 6th wideout maybe however he is a quick Punt Returner with a very average middle of the road results:sleep::sleepz:.

What does safety Nick Scott bring to ST's?

....Running back turned safety with eye-popping speed
....Explosive burst in his lateral charge
....a 4.43-second 40-yard dash with 41-inch vertical leap and 10-foot, 8-inch broad jump
.....Looking to close in and smack ball carriers:sneaky:
....Had 19 kick return attempts his first two seasons and can cover them
....Very good special teams potential
....Play demeanor is set on aggressive
....A two-time captain and noted team leader
.... He makes coach Bones :);)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Jo Jo's pretty much a one trick pony. His only contribution is returning punts. If you're only doing one thing, you better be darn good at it. He's ok, but not darn good. I don't see him making the roster in 2019 unless other guys get hurt. A dangerous returner is nice, but if you can find a guy who takes care of the ball and does some smart things like knowing when to let it bounce in the endzone or knowing when to fair catch it, that is really all they need.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Being on the bubble means you are on the team, but are at risk of losing your spot. Jojo would love to be in that position.
He's nothing more than a camp invite who at least has a shot, but in no way is an incumbent

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Watching Jojo returning punts for us terrifies me. He's too damn small.

I literally stopped watching our punt returns with him just like I did with Tavon. It's a big accident waiting to happen.

I don't watch our field goal kicks either. Not that I feel they are an accident... I just hate kickers having such a huge effect on the game. Those fuckers aren't even real people.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
He's nothing special, I sure hope they have someone to replace him. I'd like to see Nick Scott be given a shot.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He just hopes he is on the bubble. My guess is he is on the wrong side of the bubble considering Kupp is back and they will have multiple options in the return game.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
i like him, but JoJo better get back to where he belongs, i dont think he will be a Ram
train

Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner
But he knew it couldn't last.
Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona
For some California grass.

There you have it, he'll be released due to pot, so Get Back.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
No way will they let Kupp do any returns.

I am not saying Kupp will return punts, but he is back on the roster, so one less spot AND they have other options in the return game like Nick Scott or Henderson and other UDFAs that could offer more at WR.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Big difference returning punts to kick off, big difference and they might want to keep Henderson fresh, however, Nick Scott, your man, might be an interesting option. He is a former running back, so his hands might be dependable, however, have a feeling the guy is going to be Alex Bachman of Wake Forest.

Agreed. Bachman was our best UDFA acquisition in terms of scheme fit IMO. But for him to make this roster he will need to win a teams job of some kind.

Also I have to say that Natson isn't the only wideout on the bubble. They made room for Hodge based on his size and hands, but he needs a lot of work in his routes and that is something that a guy like Bachman brings right out the gate.

I feel like Bachman has a really good chance to make this roster considering that he is a UDFA addition.

Psycho_X

Legend
Having only one role on special teams and nothing else will have you on the bubble yearly. Sometimes you get lucky and no main roster talent shows ability to do your job or injuries happen and you squeak a few more years out. But you’re always going to be one of the first players they are looking to upgrade.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He is, but he isn't the only one. Any returning player that isn't expected to get playing time is on the bubble. I'd say Davis, Thomas. Hodge, Natson, Mundt, Smart, Hager, Hill, Hatfield, and Peterson are all on the bubble.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I trust Coach Bones has a plan for PR/KR. I believe the Rams will be conservative (good hands, fair catch punts, touchback kickoffs) vs aggressive for their return team. They don't need turnovers or giving up yardage in hopes of breaking a rare big one.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Don’t even think he’s on the bubble. He’s almost certainly gone, imo

Natson is gone. If it really comes down to it, Kupp can fair catch punts. KOs can be ran back by our RB crew.
Don't get me wrong, I loved watching Natson, but we're trying to win a title. Roster decisions are now on another level.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’m gonna go against the grain and predict that Jojo is our PR for 2019. Yes, despite the fact that he’s a one trick pony and adds no value as a WR.

Rams are looking for three things in a PR, and Jojo checks all the boxes: 1. Sure hands. 2. Makes good decisions. 3. Speed and elusiveness to break one.

Rams are going on another title run, and they want an established vet who has proven he can take care of the ball in a high-pressure moment. Just hard for me to imagine the Rams putting that much trust into a rookie or an UDFA.

No big deal if I’m wrong, I’d be happy if a good PR emerges. But for now, Jojo has the job, and someone will have to take it from him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If it really comes down to it, Kupp can fair catch punts.

Yes he certainly could. However I would be very surprised if he ever sniffs special teams again, given the status of our offense once he went down. That dude is the beating heart of our passing attack IMO.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m gonna go against the grain and predict that Jojo is our PR for 2019. Yes, despite the fact that he’s a one trick pony and adds no value as a WR.

Rams are looking for three things in a PR, and Jojo checks all the boxes: 1. Sure hands.

Two fumbles on 26 punts - one lost. How is that sure hands?