Is Jo Jo Natson on the Bubble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
  • After flashing sensational quickness and earning a spot as Punt Return man, the diminutive Wide Receiver was unable to break as many returns as hoped. With Henderson on the squad, I wonder whether Jo Jo is vulnerable. I hope not. He certainly hasn't peaked yet.
Whadya think
RAIDERS_RAMS_FOOTBALL_26634243-1.jpg
, Rambros?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's May, everyone is on the bubble. Natson IMO, did a very good job with the exception against Philadelphia, but besides that, he did not cost the Rams a game and had some good returns and also played it smart when returning kicks.

Nick Scott 7th round pick, has returned kick offs at Penn State, but not punts, which is very different. The Rams have quite a few UDRFA WR's in camp along with some holdovers like Austin Proehl for example, but many of them have very limited experience returning punts during their collegiate careers.

Everybody would like to see a roster spot given to an actual WR who can return punts, but IMO, we won't know until camp starts and preseason to see who else is getting the reps. Other WR's that have returned punts, but very small sample size in college are Proehl, Alex Bachman of Wake Forest and Nsimba Webster of Eastern Washington, who only returned 4 punts in his collegiate career for 73 yards and a touchdown.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly think that Natson gets phased out with the addition of Henderson. I think that with enough practice, he can field punts. He can already field kickoffs, so fielding punts would be another way to put him on the field.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I believe he's on the bubble.... with Nick Scott and Henderson around now.. we look like we have a couple of solid potential return men…

and having them return kicks means you can use JoJo's spot for an extra guy at another position

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's really hard to devote a roster spot to a punt returner who isn't a pro bowl caliber returner. There are always tough decisions on who to have active, especially if injuries set in. I don't see Natson as being somebody the Rams want to play other positions unless truly desperate, so I think they will give others real shots at winning the spot.

Ram65

Legend
What about Henderson? He had some experience as a returner.

I liked Natson. Given space and he is so quick he gets great yards. May not be the best to make the first guy miss. Someone has to beat him out. Until then he gets his chance to stay on the team. I guess he is on the bubble because his only real value is returning punts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He can already field kickoffs, so fielding punts would be another way to put him on the field.

Big difference returning punts to kick off, big difference and they might want to keep Henderson fresh, however, Nick Scott, your man, might be an interesting option. He is a former running back, so his hands might be dependable, however, have a feeling the guy is going to be Alex Bachman of Wake Forest.

Decent size at 6-0 190, ran a 4.4 at his pro day and @Boston Ram posted good things about him and that is good enough for me. Might be able to fill in for Kupp and seems to have the right attitutude and dare I post "Moxie" for McVay.

Wake Forest WR Alex Bachman ran an unofficial 4.40 40-yard dash at his Pro Day.
Bachman (6'0/190) was reportedly the best athlete at the Pro Day, also recording a 10-foot, 7-inch broad jump. He impressed in front of the 31 NFL teams in attendance and even outperformed likely draft-pick Greg Dortch. Bachman had just 370 receiving yards on 30 receptions during the regular season prior to his nuclear 7/171/0 outing in the Birmingham Bowl. He'll likely have to work his way onto an NFL roster as an undrafted free agent.

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/48742/alex-bachman

Ram65

Legend
He is a former running back, so his hands might be dependable, however, have a feeling the guy is going to be Alex Bachman of Wake Forest.

Decent size at 6-0 190, ran a 4.4 at his pro day and @Boston Ram posted good things about him and that is good enough for me. Might be able to fill in for Kupp and seems to have the right attitutude and dare I post "Moxie" for McVay.

Bachman (6'0/190) was reportedly the best athlete at the Pro Day, also recording a 10-foot, 7-inch broad jump. He impressed in front of the 31 NFL teams in attendance and even outperformed likely draft-pick Greg Dortch. Bachman had just 370 receiving yards on 30 receptions during the regular season prior to his nuclear 7/171/0 outing in the Birmingham Bowl. He'll likely have to work his way onto an NFL roster as an undrafted free agent.

Didn't know he was that big. I like his has a chance to stick as a WR/Punt Returner as he does fit the McVay/Rams WR type. Rams have to look at Henderson too. He needs touches and if he can handle the punt return duties they need to let him. He is explosive which is what the Ram are looking for in a Punt Returner as well as protecting the ball.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Big difference returning punts to kick off, big difference and they might want to keep Henderson fresh, however, Nick Scott, your man, might be an interesting option. He is a former running back, so his hands might be dependable, however, have a feeling the guy is going to be Alex Bachman of Wake Forest.

Don't know if Bachman makes the team, but he does look intriguing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if he's on the bubble but I'd be he's got one foot out the door.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if he's on the bubble but I'd be he's got one foot out the door.

He was solid, but overall nothing special. He had a 60 yard return - stopped before the end zone - and otherwise averaged only 8.8 yards per return, with a couple of fumbles. A decent returner, but not so good that he can't be replaced or upgraded, with somebody they wouldn't mind backing up at another position. Which would leave slightly more room on the active roster on Sundays. Oh, and save the Rams a little space against the cap, since Natson counts as a third year player.

If he's clearly the best returner, that's one thing. But a virtual tie has to go to the cheaper, more versatile player.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was solid, but overall nothing special. He had a 60 yard return - stopped before the end zone - and otherwise averaged only 8.8 yards per return, with a couple of fumbles. A decent returner, but not so good that he can't be replaced or upgraded, with somebody they wouldn't mind backing up at another position. Which would leave slightly more room on the active roster on Sundays. Oh, and save the Rams a little space against the cap, since Natson counts as a third year player.

If he's clearly the best returner, that's one thing. But a virtual tie has to go to the cheaper, more versatile player.
Average punt returner, below average kick returner and offers nothing in coverage teams or offense. I would imagine he's easily replaced.

dang

Legend
His only value is as a PR. Zero value as a WR. PR competition includes Austin Proehl, Mike Thomas, Nick Scott?, Greg Gaines? - so I would say he in the outside looking in.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I can't see him making the team, he just doesn't offer anything besides being an average returner.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I really thought Blake Countess did a nice job when given the opportunity, he had other ST value that Natson didn't: we let him go.
Hope Mr JoJo is working on his route running and other ways to stay on the team. At 5'7"/153 lbs I don't see him sticking around (on this team anyway).