Inside the NFCW; Let’s talk Kyler Murray

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Kyler the player and person (I'm an OU fan).

But yes, overhyped AF. One good game against a team that gave up (Dallas) does not a QB make.
Bradford homer

DVontel

Rookie
He's overrated.

Before the season, people who rank QBs will have him over Stafford. They'll look foolish by week 5 IMO.

Not scared at all and why should we be? Under McVay we've beaten the Cardinals 8/8 times, 7 (seven!) times by double digits and in the one game we only beat them by 7 we were up 14 late in the game.

I refuse to take the Cardinals seriously until they at least compete with us.

They went 2-4 in the division last year when:

Niners had historic injuries
Seahawks had a historically bad defense for half the season
Goff had a poor season

All of these things are likely to flip next year, so I'd imagine they would need JJ Watt, Quinton Nelson, Xavien Howard and Christian Mccaffrey to compete.
Are they really?

Seattle has had bad to historically bad defenses the past couple of years now. Like ours, their drafts, especially on the defensive side have been bad for multiple years now.

Yea, SF had a lot of injuries last season, but.....that’s a product of their already own injury-prone players. Bosa, Deebo, Mostert, Jimmy G, Trent...these dudes were already injury prone before they even landed with the 9ers. Even Kittle has been playing through injuries the past few years. I’m not sure if they have another injury ravaged season, but I’m totally not writing it off.

Even though I think Stafford is highly overrated myself(not because he’s a Ram, I just always thought that about him), I think the Rams are the clear-cut front runner because even though you guys lost A LOT of coaches, McVay is too much of a genius to make up for it even though I hate it. You guys have the least amount of concerns.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, we keep being told how the QB position has changed, and that (Insert Running QB Here) is the new prototype, yet these guys keep getting figured out, and the Pocket QBs, keep winning SuperBowls. It has been going on for what, 30 years now?

Some guys, like Rogers, and Wilson, combine the 2, and maybe that is where the future lies, Maybe.

But here is what I know, or at least what I think I know. Running QBs, run when they get uncomfortable; whether that is their first or 2nd read isn't there, the pocket breaks down, the clock in their head runs out, whatever. They don't ever seem to take their game to the next level. When it breaks down they run, period. They don't ever develop those other skills, because in those situations where other guys are forced to develop those skills, they run. In other words, when Defensive Coordinators take away what they do best, they don't ever seem to be able to adjust. And make no mistake, DCs in the NFL will figure it out, whether it is a QB, or a new wrinkle like the wildcat etc. Those guys are Brilliant, and there are 32 of them that all watch, learn, and incorporate what works.

The only Running QB, that I can remember, that truly transformed himself and turned into a good pocket QB was McNabb. I can't remember a single other QB doing that in the 40+ years I have been watching football.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are they really?

Seattle has had bad to historically bad defenses the past couple of years now. Like ours, their drafts, especially on the defensive side have been bad for multiple years now.

Yea, SF had a lot of injuries last season, but.....that’s a product of their already own injury-prone players. Bosa, Deebo, Mostert, Jimmy G, Trent...these dudes were already injury prone before they even landed with the 9ers. Even Kittle has been playing through injuries the past few years. I’m not sure if they have another injury ravaged season, but I’m totally not writing it off.

Even though I think Stafford is highly overrated myself(not because he’s a Ram, I just always thought that about him), I think the Rams are the clear-cut front runner because even though you guys lost A LOT of coaches, McVay is too much of a genius to make up for it even though I hate it. You guys have the least amount of concerns.

I agree that the Niners have injury prone players and that Seattle's defense has been bad.

I could be wrong but it seemed like the Niners injuries were bad even by their standard. Same with Seattle's defense.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, we keep being told how the QB position has changed, and that (Insert Running QB Here) is the new prototype, yet these guys keep getting figured out, and the Pocket QBs, keep winning SuperBowls. It has been going on for what, 30 years now?

Some guys, like Rogers, and Wilson, combine the 2, and maybe that is where the future lies, Maybe.

But here is what I know, or at least what I think I know. Running QBs, run when they get uncomfortable; whether that is their first or 2nd read isn't there, the pocket breaks down, the clock in their head runs out, whatever. They don't ever seem to take their game to the next level. When it breaks down they run, period. They don't ever develop those other skills, because in those situations where other guys are forced to develop those skills, they run. In other words, when Defensive Coordinators take away what they do best, they don't ever seem to be able to adjust. And make no mistake, DCs in the NFL will figure it out, whether it is a QB, or a new wrinkle like the wildcat etc. Those guys are Brilliant, and there are 32 of them that all watch, learn, and incorporate what works.

The only Running QB, that I can remember, that truly transformed himself and turned into a good pocket QB was McNabb. I can't remember a single other QB doing that in the 40+ years I have been watching football.

Wilson was as much of a runner as McNabb. I'd say he did it. And he's a much better passer than McNabb ever was.

Rodgers/Mahomes/Watson - maybe the latter two moreso - are what I think people mean by the future of the QB position (with Rodgers being older).

None are running QBs, but all have athleticism to move in the pocket.

People are grouping Kyler and Lamar with them which is a mistake IMO. They rely too much on their legs to be effective and eventually that will catch up with them.

Josh Allen is more like a Cam, and he will need to become more of a pocket passer or risk suffering the same type of broken down body.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Apparently sniffing battery acid in high school wasn't such a good idea after all.
Who knew.....

~ArkyRamsFan~

well James Harris was a pioneer. Murray is a pure 2 sport athlete. Dion Sanders was amazing. Times always changing. Whatever it takes to keep myself going. Cheers

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
wow
Were you ever part of any studies?
View attachment 44049

yes I took social studies & it wasn’t online it was with mutual cultured class of students.

Not actually offended. I laughed my ass off when I read it. I know you didn't mean anything fucked up by it.

Well I remember knowing when Doug Williams won the SuperBowl. The long time Grambling coach was pretty stoked. Truth is I’m not a Patrick Mahomes fan & I think Stafford is going to be really good with The Rams.
I do look forward to seeing Bryce Perkins as a Ram in the preseason.Hope he gives Wolford a run for his money.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No need for blue font man. I always liked Sam Bradford. He got put in the worst situation here.

I’ll agree, but that said he lost interest in being a NFL QB. Highest paid Rookie Player in NFL history still till this day.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
well James Harris was a pioneer. Murray is a pure 2 sport athlete. Dion Sanders was amazing. Times always changing. Whatever it takes to keep myself going. Cheers
Jim Thorpe says, "Hold my beer.". Gold medals in the Olympics, Pro football player, Pro Baseball player, etc...

There have been multi-sport athletes of all creeds throughout history. Jim Brown, John Elway, Hershel, Danny Ainge, Bob Hayes... It's not really a new thing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jim Thorpe says, "Hold my beer.". Gold medals in the Olympics, Pro football player, Pro Baseball player, etc...

There have been multi-sport athletes of all creeds throughout history. Jim Brown, John Elway, Hershel, Danny Ainge, Bob Hayes... It's not really a new thing.

I guess my point was now a days you have to pick one sport. So yes your right.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
One of the top 5 most overrated players in the NFL.
See, i wouldn't go that far. He's overrated by the media specifically because he's mobile which translates to exciting to watch.

I've seen most of his games. He's got skills throwing the ball. He doesn't always try to play hero ball with his legs either like Jackson in BAL. He tries to play smart football.

I think @Elmgrovegnome summed it up best in his earlier post though. He's too small. Average impacts affect this guy more than other bigger QB's. He's toughed it out so far but getting dinged and having lingering issues are just the beginning for him.

They need to get him some more legit targets like a stud ace TE. Or even a solid TE. Maybe spend FA money on a guy like Austin Hooper a year ago for example. Beyond Hopkins there's nothing there. Throwing cash at old future HOF pass rushers won't move the needle for Murray's development.

Better protection too obviously. IMO the HC is in over his head but what do i know?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You are the star of Arizona sports fan network. mojorizen is an absolutre star....
I haven't logged in there in almost a year. I made the mistake of skimming thru their politics forum and felt like strangling everyone. Fucking echo chamber of nonsense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That’s an interesting take. (y)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
See, i wouldn't go that far. He's overrated by the media specifically because he's mobile which translates to exciting to watch.

I've seen most of his games. He's got skills throwing the ball. He doesn't always try to play hero ball with his legs either like Jackson in BAL. He tries to play smart football.

I think @Elmgrovegnome summed it up best in his earlier post though. He's too small. Average impacts affect this guy more than other bigger QB's. He's toughed it out so far but getting dinged and having lingering issues are just the beginning for him.

They need to get him some more legit targets like a stud ace TE. Or even a solid TE. Maybe spend FA money on a guy like Austin Hooper a year ago for example. Beyond Hopkins there's nothing there. Throwing cash at old future HOF pass rushers won't move the needle for Murray's development.

Better protection too obviously. IMO the HC is in over his head but what do i know?

This might be where my head is at.

He‘s a good player, and smart. Not sure I trust his durability and that’s a big one for me.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wilson was as much of a runner as McNabb. I'd say he did it. And he's a much better passer than McNabb ever was.

Rodgers/Mahomes/Watson - maybe the latter two moreso - are what I think people mean by the future of the QB position (with Rodgers being older).

None are running QBs, but all have athleticism to move in the pocket.

People are grouping Kyler and Lamar with them which is a mistake IMO. They rely too much on their legs to be effective and eventually that will catch up with them.

Josh Allen is more like a Cam, and he will need to become more of a pocket passer or risk suffering the same type of broken down body.

No, I am talking about all the people saying that the L. Jackson, K. Murray, etc. are the future. I think mobile QBs who can extend plays can be very good, which is why I mentioned Rogers, Wilson, etc. But those guys can be pocket QBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.