If RB drafting trend continues, could Rams make a play for Bijan Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
One of the more interesting shifts in drafting trends in recent years has been at the running back position.

From 2015-2018, the average spot for the first RB taken was pick #5 (Todd Gurley – 10, Ezekiel Elliott – 4, Leonard Fournette – 4, Saquon Barkley – 2). In the last four drafts, however, the average spot of the first back taken was #29 (Josh Jacobs – 24, Clyde Edwards Helaire – 32, Najee Harris – 24, Breece Hall – 36).

This year, the consensus top RB prospect is Texas’ Bijan Robinson. He is, by all accounts, an elite prospect who can excel in both the run and pass game.

So how high will he be drafted? Will the success of backs taken on Day 2 or later in recent years once again push the position down the priority lists of teams drafting early, or will Robinson be the next RB taken at the top of the draft?

If he does drop… is there a point at which the Rams get interested?

While I don’t think RB is the top priority for the Rams by any means (particularly if Cam Akers can play as he did late in the season), would the availability of a truly elite prospect sway them? Let’s say Robinson gets into the 20s... would the Rams be tempted to make a move, packaging the #36 pick with a 2024 selection (probably would have to be yet another first rounder) to get Robinson? Or, asked another way, does Sean McVay miss having a Gurley (when healthy)-type of threat at the RB position to motivate him to do this as the next “all-in” move?

I go back and forth on this one. I think there are some very good prospects who could be had much later in the draft. Then I think about Gurley’s highlight reel, and I think… maybe?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Absolutely no trading up into the 1st round for a RB. For many reasons:

-We lack premium draft assets as it is, shipping them out for a RB would be a terrible idea
-Akers was showing exactly why we drafted him in the 2nd at end of the season. I think he may have finally recovered from injury
-IF we are looking to add another RB, this draft and free agency are loaded with potential and proven guys
-We have far and away bigger needs then a RB, even if that RB is a true blue chip guys (which I think Robinson is)

In short, love Robinson as a prospect but can't validate moving up to grab him. I mean, if he were to fall to our pick (where it sits now), I'd think McVay could not resist. He won't fall out first though, so no worries. He will likely end up closer to the end of the first with a already good team IMO. Gibbs though, I could see being there at our pick and McVay getting to excited about him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's one of those backs who would probably need a poor 40 time to fall. But I would love to see him fall to us. That's the kind of pick we need, one that has potential to be an impact player.

Rams need to hit on that second rounder. No bullshit reach for a toy to placate McVay, they have to ensure value is there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One of the more interesting shifts in drafting trends in recent years has been at the running back position.

From 2015-2018, the average spot for the first RB taken was pick #5 (Todd Gurley – 10, Ezekiel Elliott – 4, Leonard Fournette – 4, Saquon Barkley – 2). In the last four drafts, however, the average spot of the first back taken was #29 (Josh Jacobs – 24, Clyde Edwards Helaire – 32, Najee Harris – 24, Breece Hall – 36).

This year, the consensus top RB prospect is Texas’ Bijan Robinson. He is, by all accounts, an elite prospect who can excel in both the run and pass game.

So how high will he be drafted? Will the success of backs taken on Day 2 or later in recent years once again push the position down the priority lists of teams drafting early, or will Robinson be the next RB taken at the top of the draft?

If he does drop… is there a point at which the Rams get interested?

While I don’t think RB is the top priority for the Rams by any means (particularly if Cam Akers can play as he did late in the season), would the availability of a truly elite prospect sway them? Let’s say Robinson gets into the 20s... would the Rams be tempted to make a move, packaging the #36 pick with a 2024 selection (probably would have to be yet another first rounder) to get Robinson? Or, asked another way, does Sean McVay miss having a Gurley (when healthy)-type of threat at the RB position to motivate him to do this as the next “all-in” move?

I go back and forth on this one. I think there are some very good prospects who could be had much later in the draft. Then I think about Gurley’s highlight reel, and I think… maybe?

McVay loves to use early picks on athletic skill players. If he was available I could totally see the Rams picking Bijon.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'll go 1st round easy.
I'd say somewhere between 15-20

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If by some miracle Bijan Robinson falls to our pick in the second round, we should take him, no ifs, ands, or buts. He reminds me of Gurley without the injury issues.

Could we make a play for him? Absolutely! Would he be a welcome addition to our running back stable? Absolutely! But I doubt he falls out of the first round, and like dieterbrock said, he's likely a top fifteen/twenty pick.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Absolutely no trading up into the 1st round for a RB. For many reasons:

-We lack premium draft assets as it is, shipping them out for a RB would be a terrible idea
-Akers was showing exactly why we drafted him in the 2nd at end of the season. I think he may have finally recovered from injury
-IF we are looking to add another RB, this draft and free agency are loaded with potential and proven guys
-We have far and away bigger needs then a RB, even if that RB is a true blue chip guys (which I think Robinson is)

In short, love Robinson as a prospect but can't validate moving up to grab him. I mean, if he were to fall to our pick (where it sits now), I'd think McVay could not resist. He won't fall out first though, so no worries. He will likely end up closer to the end of the first with a already good team IMO. Gibbs though, I could see being there at our pick and McVay getting to excited about him.
I agree. My reasoning is that OLines make RBs not the other way around. Until we start dominating on OL it would be a wasted pick.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
There's no way we can go into the season trusting Akers to be the primary back. We should be able to address the RB position later in the draft though. Maybe hire some scouts from the Chiefs, as they seem to know what they're doing.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Generally speaking, I wouldn’t trade up in this draft. Certainly not for a RB.

Trading down makes a to of sense, however, given the draft strengths matching Ram needs.

Trading premium picks for proven studs is a winning strategy, too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The question is if Gurley was healthy for a much longer amount of time, would we feel differently about moving up for a Bijan? Especially if he is Gurley-like? Cam will never equal a healthy Gurley. If Bijan IS that guy, hell yes move up into the bottom half of the first round!
If you think all RB's are the same, please go back and watch Gurley again when he was healthy and remember how freakin' good Todd was....If Bijan is that, grab him and don't look back.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The biggest issue in this draft for the Rams will be when some player drops unexpectedly to the top of the second round. A player many posters/pundits deemed a sure fire 1st rounder. It happens all the time. Say that person isn't a position of need in comparison to my 4 needs - OlB, LT, LG or C, and 2nd CB what do you do do you take him (RB/WR/ILB as an example) vs one of our needs hovering around the same area.

Me I say take need. I seriously doubt someone is that much better than one our projected needs at #36. There will never be any of the top 15 players that fall to 36 it will be the late 20s players most likely it always happens. Anywhere from 6-12 slots higher our team may have on their board is NOT worth the lack of filling a need.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, no more equivocations! Let's get Bijan and OBJ, you vacillating bastids! ~ @AvengerRam

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The biggest issue with our OL last year was health however IMO. A fully healthy line, particularly with the experience some of the back ups got last year, and I think we have a average line, which is what your shooting for most of the time.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After the Combine, Robinson is clearly a first rounder. Jahmyr Gibbs also seems pretty likely to go on day 1.

Would any others tempt the Rams at No. 36? Zach Charbonnet, maybe?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
After the Combine, Robinson is clearly a first rounder. Jahmyr Gibbs also seems pretty likely to go on day 1.

Would any others tempt the Rams at No. 36? Zach Charbonnet, maybe?

Devon Achane is who I think they're going to take if they do take a running back in the second round. I'd hate the move as much as I hated the Atwell move, but it's what I think they'll do. Personally, I want Sean Tucker. He's bigger than Achane, and I think he's a better running back.

Robinson and Gibbs don't seem like options anymore, unless we have a first round pick, like you said.