How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams contended with near $50 mil. in dead money during our present season to get us into the Super Bowl, the comparable small fraction that Woods would cost will be easily manageable. I happen to really like Woods, but I'll go with OBj every time, and happily pick up a draft pick along the way should we trade him.
Which isnt what was discussed. My point was and is that its not saving money by cutting Woods post June 1. Its like someone selling you your own car but you feel like you got a good deal
It costs the Rams 12+ mill to not have Woods on the team next year no matter how you slice it. When you add the cap hit of the player who replaced him, it blows the number out of the water.
Whether its the right move or not? Im not having that discussion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OTC NFL Salary Cap and Contracts LogoTrending Pages:

Los Angeles Rams Potential Transactions By Team​

This table lists the total 2022 cap savings or cost that can be had by executing any eligible transaction on all players on the Los Angeles Rams. Restructure and extension figures represent the maximum number of cap dollars that can be saved executing those transactions.

Select a team:​

Leaguewide Transactions

PlayerTransaction TypeCap SavingsDead Money
Matt StaffordCut, Post June 1 Cut, Trade$23,000,000$0
Matt StaffordExtension$17,504,000$0
Andrew WhitworthCut, Post June 1 Cut, Trade$15,500,000$1,666,668
Aaron DonaldPost June 1 Cut$14,250,000$12,500,000
Leonard FloydExtension$12,372,000$0
Andrew WhitworthExtension$11,504,000$0
Jalen RamseyExtension$11,172,000$0
Cooper KuppExtension$11,072,000$0
Matt StaffordRestructure$10,940,000$0
Aaron DonaldExtension$10,572,000$0
Jalen RamseyRestructure$10,473,750$0
Cooper KuppRestructure$10,380,000$0
Leonard FloydRestructure$10,310,000$0
Robert WoodsPost June 1 Cut$10,000,000$5,700,000
Robert WoodsExtension$9,904,000$0
Leonard FloydTrade$9,500,000$10,500,000
Robert WoodsRestructure$9,285,000$0
Aaron DonaldRestructure$8,810,000$0
Jalen RamseyPost June 1 Cut$7,500,000$15,700,000
Cooper KuppPost June 1 Cut$7,375,000$11,300,000
Rob HavensteinPost June 1 Cut$7,250,000$2,348,000
Robert WoodsTrade$7,100,000$8,600,000
A'Shawn RobinsonPost June 1 Cut$7,000,000$2,500,000
Tyler HigbeePost June 1 Cut$6,625,000$1,425,000
A'Shawn RobinsonTrade$6,500,000$3,000,000
Cooper KuppTrade$6,475,000$12,200,000
A'Shawn RobinsonCut$5,500,000$4,000,000
Aaron DonaldCut, Trade$5,250,000$21,500,000
Tyler HigbeeCut, Trade$5,200,000$2,850,000
A'Shawn RobinsonExtension$5,172,000$0
Rob HavensteinCut, Trade$4,946,000$4,652,000
Rob HavensteinExtension$4,904,000$0
Rob HavensteinRestructure$4,597,500$0
Tyler HigbeeExtension$4,472,000$0
Robert WoodsCut$3,600,000$12,100,000
A'Shawn RobinsonRestructure$3,232,500$0
Tyler HigbeeRestructure$2,795,000$0
David EdwardsCut, Post June 1 Cut, Trade$2,790,000$66,130
Greg GainesCut, Post June 1 Cut$2,540,000$156,653
Taylor RappCut, Post June 1 Cut, Trade$2,540,000$354,762
Greg GainesTrade$2,540,000$156,653
Johnny HekkerPost June 1 Cut$2,500,000$692,000
Johnny HekkerCut, Trade$2,050,000$1,142,000
Johnny HekkerExtension$1,704,000$0
David EdwardsExtension$1,460,000$0
Greg GainesExtension$1,260,000$0
Taylor RappExtension$1,260,000$0
Cam AkersPost June 1 Cut$1,171,186$512,371
Van JeffersonPost June 1 Cut$1,120,104$410,207
Johnny HekkerRestructure$1,065,000$0
Darrell HendersonCut, Post June 1 Cut, Trade$1,060,601$272,664
Terrell LewisPost June 1 Cut$1,031,690$233,381
David LongTrade$965,000$243,265
Justin HollinsCut, Trade$965,000$0
Bobby EvansCut, Post June 1 Cut, Trade$965,000$205,545
Grant HaleyCut, Post June 1 Cut, Trade$965,000$0
Matt OrzechTrade
Congrats, you found the link. Now read it.
Woods has a 3.5 roster bonus guaranteed and has 8.6 mill in dead cap. If they cut or trade him post June 1, that means they've paid the 3.5 mill and the 2022 restructure dead money of approx 2.3 mill. So he hits them with "only" about 6 mill in 2022. The other 3 years of restructure money becomes due in 2023. There isnt a savings. It's 12 million in cap space to not have the player on the team

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Congrats, you found the link. Now read it.
Woods has a 3.5 roster bonus guaranteed and has 8.6 mill in dead cap. If they cut or trade him post June 1, that means they've paid the 3.5 mill and the 2022 restructure dead money of approx 2.3 mill. So he hits them with "only" about 6 mill in 2022. The other 3 years of restructure money becomes due in 2023. There isnt a savings. It's 12 million in cap space to not have the player on the team

Don't be a condescending dweeb man no need for that first part as if your above it all. Chill out knowledge is power.
I put the link up not only for woods but to show all different options in which the Rams can manipulate the cap howeve "IF" you are correct then wonderful. As posted above we just made a Super Bowl with a shit ton of dead money and 184 million dollar cap. There are ways which the chart shows. We all talk about it daily not everyone Is a capologist such as yourself. I appreciate back and forth conversation even if it's in disagreement but we need to work on people skils a bit.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Which isnt what was discussed. My point was and is that its not saving money by cutting Woods post June 1. Its like someone selling you your own car but you feel like you got a good deal
It costs the Rams 12+ mill to not have Woods on the team next year no matter how you slice it. When you add the cap hit of the player who replaced him, it blows the number out of the water.
Whether its the right move or not? Im not having that discussion.

And I don't want to really pursue the discussion you are pressing.
While Woods is deservedly a fan favorite, his function isn't all that different from Kupp, ... OBj offers a serious new wrinkle to our offense though. The Rams have Van Jefferson and new developmental WR's in Tutu Atwell, Jacob Harris & Ben Skowronek who can compete at #3 & #4 WR quite inexpensively, and we don't know what the 2022 draft might yet bring. Woods is an expensive luxury who was already dissatisfied with the amount of targets he was receiving, and this before OBj arrived. Woods has nearly $70 mil in Cap hit against our team between 2022 and 2025, his trade value will also shrink with every one of those years, and as it is he's coming off an ACL injury. Our developmental players aren't meant to all become bench warmers, we need to see what they've got and move forward.
jmo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
One of the big factors in playing with the cap is bonus money.
If you convert salary to bonus.. you can spread the hit out over several years, but the cash is due immediately.
I can’t imagine Kroenke won’t fork over whatever is necessary if they win it all, to keep everyone possible. I also see a lot of gimmicks used, because the cap is set to explode in 23 & 24.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Appreciate it River. Damn so if we trade Woods after June 1st, he's only got a 2.2M cap hit and we save 13.5M??? Thats pretty insane. If we are planning to keep OBJ around and move Woods this would be the route I think.

MachS

Hall of Fame
While Woods is deservedly a fan favorite, his function isn't all that different from Kupp, ... OBj offers a serious new wrinkle to our offense though.
The other part of OBJs game that hasn't been utilized really is his deep game. I think like 4 of Staffords INTs have been deep shots to OBJ where they weren't on the same page with a route, or dont have that chemistry built yet. And I remember Stafford overthrew him at least once on an easy TD. With a full year and off-season he'll only continue to get more explosive plays and long TDs.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
So looking at the cap situation for 2022 which already appears to be updated to $208M by Sportstrac, where can we trim some fat??

Whit is gone, thats $17M. To me Leonord Floyd is not worth $20M. No fucking way, but we cant do anything with that dead cap hit until after 2022. He'll be gone a year from now. Love the way A'shawn Rob has played especially in the playoffs, but is he worth $10M? Parting ways saves us $6M. Johnny Hecker gone? That would be another $2M. Taylor Rapp?? To me he's not a starting safety in the NFL, $2.5M saved if we traded him.

I know we will extend Stafford and use other creative ways to create some more cap room, but there will definitely be some tough decisions made.

View attachment 51811
A'Shawn is totally worth $10m. You want to beat the Niners or not? Not sure how we would easily replace him.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Nice. it looks like Tutu put on some weight, he must be hitting the weight room.
Tutu doesn't get much love on this board.... but there have been a long ling of players and coaches who posters wanted to get rid of but turned out to be ballers.

Give the kid a chance. A few 50 yard TD catches might change some minds.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Tutu doesn't get much love on this board.... but there have been a long ling of players and coaches who posters wanted to get rid of but turned out to be ballers.

yeah I was only joking about the picture posted but it would be great if Tutu becomes a weapon for this offense. I would think the majority of us want to see him succeed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't be a condescending dweeb man no need for that first part as if your above it all. Chill out knowledge is power.
I put the link up not only for woods but to show all different options in which the Rams can manipulate the cap howeve "IF" you are correct then wonderful. As posted above we just made a Super Bowl with a shit ton of dead money and 184 million dollar cap. There are ways which the chart shows. We all talk about it daily not everyone Is a capologist such as yourself. I appreciate back and forth conversation even if it's in disagreement but we need to work on people skils a bit.
Chill out? What a hypocrite. Why dont you read what others post before being condescending to them. You realize that YOU posted a screen shot in a condescending fashion.
Whatever
Go Rams

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They worked the heck out of the kid in pre-season, clearly they had plans for him. I'd give the kid next pre and reg season before putting him out to pasture

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I don't want to really pursue the discussion you are pressing.
While Woods is deservedly a fan favorite, his function isn't all that different from Kupp, ... OBj offers a serious new wrinkle to our offense though. The Rams have Van Jefferson and new developmental WR's in Tutu Atwell, Jacob Harris & Ben Skowronek who can compete at #3 & #4 WR quite inexpensively, and we don't know what the 2022 draft might yet bring. Woods is an expensive luxury who was already dissatisfied with the amount of targets he was receiving, and this before OBj arrived. Woods has nearly $70 mil in Cap hit against our team between 2022 and 2025, his trade value will also shrink with every one of those years, and as it is he's coming off an ACL injury. Our developmental players aren't meant to all become bench warmers, we need to see what they've got and move forward.
jmo.
All fine and reasonable, I just dont want to talk downside on any of our players, save that till after the season is over. Enjoy what we got now

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Chill out? What a hypocrite. Why dont you read what others post before being condescending to them. You realize that YOU posted a screen shot in a condescending fashion.
Whatever
Go Rams

No not at all dude you interpreted that way but not at all. Wasn't some sort of plot to attack you. You know by now if I have something to say I will just say it. Most times even if I disagree I'm still civil or polite about it. This was just more information and if it was strictly woods I would have put just woods I put the entire chart up the important options to show different ways different players. Even if I had come back with my point being woods and thought you were wrong its still not the way to go about it. We can disagree without talking down to one another. All good man

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like having continuity on the OL but don’t see a need to pay Corbett. I think keeping Allen and having Shelton has worked well for OC and don’t see paying for a free agent OG. I do hope Carberry sticks around I think he’s made a difference this year.

Von, Beckham, Allen, Michele would be my top 4 to keep.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I like having continuity on the OL but don’t see a need to pay Corbett. I think keeping Allen and having Shelton has worked well for OC and don’t see paying for a free agent OG. I do hope Carberry sticks around I think he’s made a difference this year.

Von, Beckham, Allen, Michele would be my top 4 to keep.
Corbett has certainly been very much a liability this post season. Not sure if he's hurt or what but man, he's really fallen off.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

This isn't a criticism, only a question : The Allen/Shelton duo at Center seems mostly pretty effective, so I can live with it, although Allen too had his share of struggles, both on the field & getting dinged up. My question is if you don't see paying Corbett or an outside free agent at RG for 2022, just who will be starting ? Has either Evans or Anchrum shown you starting capability, or is it just a hope that one of them ultimately steps up ? Also, how do we reconcile both Edwards & Evans becoming free agents in 2023 ? Will we be replacing two starting OG's in the same year ? Has Edwards shown a skill level at LG which is all that superior to Corbett at RG, or might he have some value also as an OT somewhere down the line ?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This isn't a criticism, only a question : The Allen/Shelton duo at Center seems mostly pretty effective, so I can live with it, although Allen too had his share of struggles, both on the field & getting dinged up. My question is if you don't see paying Corbett or an outside free agent at RG for 2022, just who will be starting ? Has either Evans or Anchrum shown you starting capability, or is it just a hope that one of them ultimately steps up ? Also, how do we reconcile both Edwards & Evans becoming free agents in 2023 ? Will we be replacing two starting OG's in the same year ? Has Edwards shown a skill level at LG which is all that superior to Corbett at RG, or might he have some value also as an OT somewhere down the line ?
Good questions, I don’t think anyone else has had a chance over the year to put a lot on tape that would indicate they can step in. Preseason Evans looked like he should have been cut but apparently they saw enough to keep him around.

With the Cards game and all of the covid list players did we see enough?? I can’t recall who played guard, maybe that’s a good thing. Jackson seemed to play well, if Boom is the new LT, maybe he slides into one of those spots.

As bad as they “seemed” to be, we’re going to the Super Bowl. So I trust Carberry and McVay to know a hell of a lot more than anyone else.