How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think they're totally off the hook for not drafting OL. Even with multiple injuries and COVID issues.. they performed.

That doesn't mean the Tutu pick was good.

They seem to understand what they have on the roster and what they're developing.

Yes, they performed well enough to get us to a Super Bowl entry, and kudos for that, although that isn't the issue as little would have changed had Humphrey been the top pick. My tiny degree of scorn focuses on our depth, and whether either Allen or Corbett will be affordable in the same free agency period where guys like Noteboom, Von Miller, OBj & Michel are also trying to fit under our CAP, much less any quality outside free agents which come available. Had Humphrey been drafted last year, it's one BIG headache that doesn't raise its ugly head.
I don't know whether TuTu will become a good pick, but he now has a history for injury while with the NFL, and why we spent our top draft pick on him following the acquisition of DeSean Jackson remains a head scratcher. I won't argue the merits over understanding what they have in regards to player development, McSnead are a proven commodity at what they do, but even they aren't going to be completely infallible.
jmo.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yes, they performed well enough to get us to a Super Bowl entry, and kudos for that, although that isn't the issue as little would have changed had Humphrey been the top pick. My tiny degree of scorn focuses on our depth, and whether either Allen or Corbett will be affordable in the same free agency period where guys like Noteboom, Von Miller, OBj & Michel are also trying to fit under our CAP, much less any quality outside free agents which come available. Had Humphrey been drafted last year, it's one BIG headache that doesn't raise its ugly head.
I don't know whether TuTu will become a good pick, but he now has a history for injury while with the NFL, and why we spent our top draft pick on him following the acquisition of DeSean Jackson remains a head scratcher. I won't argue the merits over understanding what they have in regards to player development, McSnead are a proven commodity at what they do, but even they aren't going to be completely infallible.
jmo.
They won't keep Michel. I mean you have Akers out all yr and he comes back and is getting 85% of the touches.

I'm unless its a cheap deal, he will move on.

I see Noteboom, Corbett or Allen, OBJ, abd Miller coming back or at least doable and wanted back.

They can get to 35-40 of cap room with some restructuring and Whit retiring.

In fact I just saw that now Over the Cap shows Whit as $15M savings if he is released, before it was $13M. I wonder if he quietly took a pay cut by moving money around so they would save more next yr?

In any event they can keep Miller, OBJ, and Noteboom at the very least unless they really want to max out their contract's and I can see the two vets at least taking a little less. Don't blame Noteboom though if he gets the best deal possible, he gas waited for this opportunity, but they should be able to pay him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
jmo.

Like I said.. I'm not defending Atwell, but I can certainly understand what they hoped they were doing, they just picked the wrong guy. They hoped he could be a guy who occasionally blew off the top of a defense and could return kicks. I think they were absolutely wrong on him as a returner, but it remains to be seen if he can be a decent WR. He was pretty good at that in preseason.
They were trying to address two needs.. deep speed and returns. It took until past midseason to get kick returns right.

They had all the depth they needed for this season. We can talk about long-term.. but that is absolutely a "next year" problem for them to solve and they keep solving that problem, year to year.

So, what I'm saying is that for this season, I don't have ANY problem with them not drafting a lineman.. and can also say that the Tutu pick looks pretty bad right now.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
They won't keep Michel. I mean you have Akers out all yr and he comes back and is getting 85% of the touches.

I see Noteboom, Corbett or Allen, OBJ, abd Miller coming back or at least doable and wanted back.

In fact I just saw that now Over the Cap shows Whit as $15M savings if he is released, before it was $13M. I wonder if he quietly took a pay cut by moving money around so they would save more next yr?

In any event they can keep Miller, OBJ, and Noteboom at the very least unless they really want to max out their contract's and I can see the two vets at least taking a little less. Don't blame Noteboom though if he gets the best deal possible, he gas waited for this opportunity, but they should be able to pay him.
They can do extensions to other contracts if they really want to go "all in" next year as well. I think it's a real possibility. From a team-finances standpoint, not a cap point, per se... spending a bunch of up front bonus money in 22 looks a lot more doable because they don't have $40 million in dead money, which they had to pay out immediately. They'll have more cash on hand.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Woods is a must keep. He is the best overall receiver I've seen in a long time until Kupp came along. OBJ will want to stay in LA and so will Miller. A lot of people think the Rams are top heavy but they have some really good young players. If OBJ wants to stay he and the Rams will make it work without blowing up the cap. Same with Miller. Tampa Bay and now the Rams have shown you can build a super bowl team without high draft picks.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Tampa Bay and now the Rams have shown you can build a super bowl team without high draft picks.

And if it becomes necessary, they have shown that you don't need a Woods to build a Super Bowl team either.

MachS

Hall of Fame
There's a weird obsession there. Hav was a beast against the 9ers last week.
Hav has been tremendous this year, his best year as a pro IMO. He was good last year too. We can't get rid of him he's our best lineman. Not sure why people suggest that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I've also noticed on Spotrac how our dead money for 2022 has grown from nothing to over $8 mil. as play-off bonuses start to kick in. A win next Sunday and those bonuses are going to take another uptick, not that I'd be complaining.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I've also noticed on Spotrac how our dead money for 2022 has grown from nothing to over $8 mil. as play-off bonuses start to kick in. A win next Sunday and those bonuses are going to take another uptick, not that I'd be complaining.
Yeah.. there will be a lot of salary cap games played by the Rams next season, I feel.

Good catch on this info, btw.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
A lot of wishful thinking in this thread.
There is.

But.. between what Demoff said about prolonged excellence.. and the opportunity to do something special, I think it's possible. They gave assets to get Von.. are they really going to let him walk and take all those resources out the door for just a half-season? I have a hard time believing it.

The "no dead money" thing could be a difference-maker, imo... and the fact the cap is supposed to take a big jump in 23 is another. They can weather a one-year gimmick storm, imo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Woods is a must keep.

While I try to stay away from the 'must keep' debate, my focus is aimed on what it might take to win at the next level. Every year every NFL team changes personnel, it's just part of the process. Keeping favorite players can't always have the same consideration when trying to move forward. Woods has been good for L.A. and the Rams, and he may continue to do so, but I can't let that get in the way of future potential for winning at an even higher degree. While I certainly like Woods, I believe Noteboom, Von Miller, OBj and a quality outside free agent are currently more important to the team, and this is just half my argument as Woods should bring good trade compensation in a year where we have limited draft picks above the very late 3'rd round. Woods complained during 2021 about being targeted enough, and this prior to OBj joining us, how is he going to feel in 2022 when competing for snaps with Van Jefferson, Atwell, Harris & Skowronek ? And when McVay operates his 12 personnel, which WR is likely coming off the field most ?
jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams draft and develop OL so they don't mind taking them mid to late rounds.

There are also some positions they can find in any draft mid to late rounds. Among those are positions like Safety, ILB, and RB. Yes there are outliers, but in general you can say "we're gonna draft these positions as a rule" even when you're out of day one year to year.

WR like any other position does have guys who slip through due to workouts, like Kupp or Rice. But overall not picking high means you're gonna be missing out on a lot of shots at rare traits, which IMO is magnified with wideouts. You're not gonna find a Beckham in round 3. It ain't gonna happen. This is why I figure they prioritize him.

Same goes for OLB. Pass rushers are a cornerstone need. High priority. Good luck finding Von Miller in round 3. Again there are outliers but in basic teambuilding approach you gotta admit that's something you give up by not having round 1 picks. Von's a fucking thoroughbred of a pass rusher, guys like that don't slide. The reason I think he walks however is that he's up there in age and teams are going to push his price up because he's playing his ass off and part of the reason we're a favorite in this SB.

If the Rams win this Super Bowl they would be wise to make the hard decisions now not later. I don't want to see them try to do like Tampa and bring the satisfied pack of vets back. What you do is trim some of that shit, and go forward with the younger guys who are ready to do the work to go get another one.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
And if it becomes necessary, they have shown that you don't need a Woods to build a Super Bowl team either.
Woods doesn't save anything, has a big dead cap hit.

Saves $3.6M this upcoming season, w/ $12M dead cap number if released, but saves $10m if they move him in 23'.

So thinking if they move on from him it will be next offseason when Jefferson is entering his last yr.