How concerned are you with our WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Tavon Austin:
40 Catches
418 Yards
4 TDs

Chris Givens:
34 Catches
569 Yards
0 TDs

Austin Pettis:
38 Catches
399 Yards
4 TDs

Brian Quick
18 Catches
302 Yards
2 TDs

Stedman Bailey
17 Catches
226 Yards
0 TDs

Kenny Britt
11 Catches
96 Yards
0 TDs

This is why I'm nervous about our WRs. I'm not saying that they can't or won't improve. I'm saying the track record isn't there and most teams league wide have guys who have done more in the league.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tavon Austin:
40 Catches
418 Yards
4 TDs

Chris Givens:
34 Catches
569 Yards
0 TDs

Austin Pettis:
38 Catches
399 Yards
4 TDs

Brian Quick
18 Catches
302 Yards
2 TDs

Stedman Bailey
17 Catches
226 Yards
0 TDs

Kenny Britt
11 Catches
96 Yards
0 TDs

This is why I'm nervous about our WRs. I'm not saying that they can't or won't improve. I'm saying the track record isn't there and most teams league wide have guys who have done more in the league.
QB for the last 9 games was..... ?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can dig up the stats for their first 7 games and project them over a 16 games and I'm sure it won't be impressive either.
That would be nice. Because Bradford projected to 32 TDs and over 3800 yards. Somebody had to catch them.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Tavon Austin:
40 Catches
418 Yards
4 TDs

Chris Givens:
34 Catches
569 Yards
0 TDs

Austin Pettis:
38 Catches
399 Yards
4 TDs

Brian Quick
18 Catches
302 Yards
2 TDs

Stedman Bailey
17 Catches
226 Yards
0 TDs

Kenny Britt
11 Catches
96 Yards
0 TDs

For the umpteenth time,,, you are basing all of this off the Fantasy Football mentality of RAW STATS without even acknowledging any of the reasons why.

I really thought you understood the game more than this. But you seem to be lost or just looking at stats to form your every opinion on.

So, based on this logic, the LA Angels should replace Albert Pujols because he was nowhere close to the production they expected him to have when they signed him. Or more importantly, just because he was the greatest RH hitter in the modern era, means he will ALWAYS be the same hitter he was 3 years ago?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm officially out of this discussion. Its starting to feel too much like the previous forum in here, and I don't want to contribute anymore to that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm officially out of this discussion. Its starting to feel too much like the previous forum in here, and I don't want to contribute anymore to that.
But ... who's gonna have my back on this? :oops:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
But ... who's gonna have my back on this? :oops:

Its like "arguing" with someone who doesn't want to even consider an alternative. And they are basing all of their opinion on raw statistics that have no bearing on the true reasons why they are what they are.

Its fantasy football mentality through and through

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair, we really don't know how well Jeffrey would be performing with this team minus Cutler, Forte, and a veteran tutor and player in Brandon Marshall drawing coverage away opposite him. For all we know Quick might even look a lot better in Chicago under those circumstances, too.

Jeffery is Jeffery. Yes, circumstances absolutely matter but Jeffery would be productive here. He could catch a cold in the desert. Doesn't matter where you are, hands like Jeffery's, body control like Jeffery's and vertical separation skills like Jeffery's will show up.

In fact, I would have loved to see Sam with Jeffery. We all saw how much Sam liked having Lloyd with his ability to attack the football...Jeffery is an even better version.

FRO

Legend
I was worried about our RB position last year because while I liked what I saw out of Richardson as a rookie, we didn't have a guy on the squad that did it before. For the first 4 weeks my fear was realized until Stacy stepped up and played well. That's my same feeling about our WRs. I'm not saying they can't be good, I'm saying that none of our guys have shown they can be anything but role guys. I understand the committee approach, but do we have a guy that will do what Golden Taint did for the Seahawks? Do we have a Troy Brown or Deion Branch? Somebody(s) needs to emerge from the pack.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't seriously be asking why Stacy over Pead? They switched to a POWER rushing attack, more suited for a bigger RB. Same as for Cunningham. But yet, when they were in a 3rd down, or passing situation, it was PEAD, not either one of the rookies who was on the field for pass protection. But I suppose that is totally insignificant to you, because he wasn't given the carries.

Quick's snap counts weren't effected one way of another by Bailey's emergence. In fact, the biggest factor on Bailey's snaps increasing was Austin's injury.

Either you don't understand that different players serve different roles within an offense, or you are just looking for an argument. Just because they are listed as WR's doesn't mean they play the same position, or serve the same role in this offense. I would guess you are smart enough to know that already, so that leaves the latter.

Disagree. Bailey's snap count started to increase before Austin was injured.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was worried about our RB position last year because while I liked what I saw out of Richardson as a rookie, we didn't have a guy on the squad that did it before. For the first 4 weeks my fear was realized until Stacy stepped up and played well. That's my same feeling about our WRs. I'm not saying they can't be good, I'm saying that none of our guys have shown they can be anything but role guys. I understand the committee approach, but do we have a guy that will do what Golden Taint did for the Seahawks? Do we have a Troy Brown or Deion Branch? Somebody(s) needs to emerge from the pack.

Yes. We have Tavon Austin, Jared Cook, and when he gets off his suspension...Stedman Bailey.

Givens can be Givens. Pettis can be Pettis. Kendricks can be Kendricks. Quick is...well...who knows. As long as Austin, Bailey and Cook are what I think they can be...we'll be just fine. Especially considering it seems we're going to be running a power offense again. Which means a lot of play-action passing and power running. That opens up passing lanes and makes things a whole lot easier on the WRs...especially Givens.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Its like "arguing" with someone who doesn't want to even consider an alternative. And they are basing all of their opinion on raw statistics that have no bearing on the true reasons why they are what they are.

Well, I get the concerns. It's a common practice to use past performances as future indicators, especially in relation to football. You or I may not subscribe to that, but it's our job to take up the other side of the debate and present our arguments with sound logic and reasoning. I don't get all the "he's a bust" or "he's a bum" talk, but there's nothing I can do about that kind of standoffish and lazy analysis. Best to avoid those kinds of absolutes. I'd prefer you stayed, remained calm, and continued to share your opinions with those who appear to be more susceptible to rational discussion. Your opinion means a great deal to me because of your close proximity to these guys during the evaluation process (camp), and your ability to zero-in on what the coaches are trying to accomplish.

FRO

Legend

No it's not. Has Quick passed the look test for you constantly in an NFL game? Did Givens pass the look test? According to Tennessee fans, they haven't seen worse WR play than they saw with Britt. To me Bailey was our best looking WR last year and Austin got hurt when he was getting it.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so did Quick's, in fact Quick's was higher than Baileys UNTIL Austin got hurt.

I'm not really arguing over Quick. Just pointing out that Stedman's increase in snaps didn't come because of Austin's injury.

Although Quick's snap count remained pretty steady over the entirety of the year.

However, Bailey STARTED the game that Austin was hurt in. It wasn't Austin's injury. If anything, Austin's injury gave Givens more snaps.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No it's not. Has Quick passed the look test for you constantly in an NFL game? Did Givens pass the look test? According to Tennessee fans, they haven't seen worse WR play than they saw with Britt.
To me they have. Early on they looked one dimensional and lost, but I can actually *see* the progress and the improvement in their development. I can't speak about Britt intelligently, but they said Cook was useless too. He then proceeded to set a TE record with the Rams (not an impressive one, but still). I understand the reluctance to believe they'll all of a sudden become brilliant, but isn't there a chance they will become very good this year? Is it that far out of the realm of possibility?

FRO

Legend
Yes. We have Tavon Austin, Jared Cook, and when he gets off his suspension...Stedman Bailey.

Givens can be Givens. Pettis can be Pettis. Kendricks can be Kendricks. Quick is...well...who knows. As long as Austin, Bailey and Cook are what I think they can be...we'll be just fine. Especially considering it seems we're going to be running a power offense again. Which means a lot of play-action passing and power running. That opens up passing lanes and makes things a whole lot easier on the WRs...especially Givens.
After the first game of the year I felt like we struck good with Cook. I was terribly disappointed for most of the year with him. Maybe that first game skewed my expectations to unreasonable levels. I'm a huge Bailey and Austin fan. My concern is will the suspension put Bailey in a hole he can't get out of, and will we use Austin correctly ?

FRO

Legend
To me they have. Early on they looked one dimensional and lost, but I can actually *see* the progress and the improvement in their development. I can't speak about Britt intelligently, but they said Cook was useless too. He then proceeded to set a TE record with the Rams (not an impressive one, but still). I understand the reluctance to believe they'll all of a sudden become brilliant, but isn't there a chance they will become very good this year? Is it that far out of the realm of possibility?
I was just very disappointed in the group last year. Maybe I expected too much. I'm not asking for superstars, I just want solid play and to be at the league average in the drops department. If we can do that I see a playoff team.