How concerned are you with our WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
Or they are giving them the time to develop into more.
That's why I said, "if". I sure hope they develop into more. If they don't, there's an issue with the OC, WR coach, and/or scouts.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Not really no. Could there be upgrades? Yeah of course there could be upgrades there. I don't think Britt is more than a stopgap personally, but if he has a big year then I expect an extension. Quick could be on his last year if the light doesn't turn on, and Pettis is what he is, if they find a guy with a similar skillset to him, but better, then he's probably the first to go.

Do I want them to improve the position next year in the draft/free agency? Of course.

Am I worried going into this season though? No.

You can't seriously be asking why Stacy over Pead? They switched to a POWER rushing attack, more suited for a bigger RB. Same as for Cunningham. But yet, when they were in a 3rd down, or passing situation, it was PEAD, not either one of the rookies who was on the field for pass protection. But I suppose that is totally insignificant to you, because he wasn't given the carries.

Quick's snap counts weren't effected one way of another by Bailey's emergence. In fact, the biggest factor on Bailey's snaps increasing was Austin's injury.

Either you don't understand that different players serve different roles within an offense, or you are just looking for an argument. Just because they are listed as WR's doesn't mean they play the same position, or serve the same role in this offense. I would guess you are smart enough to know that already, so that leaves the latter.

Well Quick's snaps reduced as Bailey's increased, it may not be causal but it happened.

Pead played 9 snaps offensive against the 49ers, over the other 11 of the final 12 games he played on average less than 1 offensive snap per game, I haven't gone back and watched every snap of every game so the snaps he did play could have all been when they were in a 3rd down, or passing situations.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I actually think Tavon will be even better this year and I think Givens has really rededicated himself to coming back strong. Quick is the wildcard for sure. I think he was on his way with Sam but digressed a bit when Clemens took over. Britt is also a big ? but could turn into a huge addition. Lot of what if's I know.

That all being said, I really think if we dominate with the running game the passing game should open up even more.

I still think we need a true go to #1 but I'm not down on the core we have as much as some.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Lived up to WHOSE expectations? How about just about EVERYONE'S expectations for the #33 overall pick in the draft.

And no one is ignoring all the other picks, they did well with the others, but let's not go overboard just yet, not one of them has made the Pro Bowl just yet. And there were Pro Bowl players that they passed on.

We are trying to win a Super Bowl, are we not? Just being better than the previous regimes isn't all that impressive to me. And I do love how they've handled the draft since 2012, so this isn't about instant gratification. I'm just pointing out that they were a bit shaky in their first draft and it's understandable with a rookie GM.

I guess we just differ on what the draft is supposed to accomplish. I want players who can develop and be long term solutions to making this a better football team. I for one, (and I know I am in the minority here), don't get all caught up with when a guy is picked. I see it as taking the guy that you want, when you think you need to, not what the others seem to slot him in terms of perceived value.

They went up and took Austin, because that is the guy they wanted, and they knew they couldn't wait on him. Obviously, they sit back and roll the dice and lose out on some guys they may want, and then they adjust and take the "next" guy on THEIR board. It doesn't matter to me in the least that Quick was taken at #33. Would your feeling about him be any different if he had been taken where Givens was taken and the results were the same?

Kinda like the whole Pead/Richardson debate. Or Stacy/Cunningham for that matter. Didn't seem to matter to them which was taken higher. But it does say something about who they think has more ability to help this team moving forward.

Until they cut bait with either of them, I will maintain they still feel these guys can develop into the players they drafted them to become. But draft status should not have any bearing on when that is.

V3

Hall of Fame
That's not all they can do with them. That's what they choose to do with them. And where is this written rule about how, when, or why you take receivers?

If they choose to have them be nothing but role players, they're idiots(and they aren't). There's nothing written about when you take role player WRs because everyone knows you don't take those in the top rounds. There's nothing written about not taking kickers in the top rounds but everyone knows that, too. The Rams didn't take these WRs with the idea that they'd be role players. When they talk about them, they describe them as more than that. They just haven't developed into what they thought they'd be...yet. If that's all they turn out to be, then they got horrible value for where some of these guys were taken.

@-X- are you still working on your "all of the drops" video? Probably going to be a really depressing video, but I'm curious to see it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If they choose to have them be nothing but role players, they're idiots(and they aren't). There's nothing written about when you take role player WRs because everyone knows you don't take those in the top rounds. There's nothing written about not taking kickers in the top rounds but everyone knows that, too. The Rams didn't take these WRs with the idea that they'd be role players. When they talk about them, they describe them as more than that. They just haven't developed into what they thought they'd be...yet. If that's all they turn out to be, then they got horrible value for where some of these guys were taken.
So is it the term role players that you're hung up on here? Because I didn't use that term. I merely opined on how the offense is structured with specific personnel groupings and how every receiver has a specific role in which they excel. If they want to get a receiver to cater to their offensive philosophy, then they target one and position themselves in the draft to get him without losing him. If that means going up or dropping down, that's what they do. That's all. And if it ends up that they got horrible value for where they were taken (not a subscriber to slot value), then they got horrible value. There just seems to be a whole lot of hand wringing over this group of receivers before even seeing what they can do with a strong run game and better offensive line play. Past performances don't always have to be indicators of the future. And besides that, I've gone through a lot of the games from last year and it's not nearly as bad as people are making it seem right now.

But yeah ... we'll see.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The bottom line here, for me, is these guys have the talent, and the only thing that is lacking is the experience and development of that talent to be CONSISTENT performers. When does that happen? Who knows, but it sure seems the coaching staff, and organization are more than willing to find out.

Disagree.

You gotta have heart and attitude to be the best. Pead is a genuine head case. And the jury is out on Quick having the mental toughness to live up to his physical talent.

I remember a poster saying he went to all the practices when Jason Smith was playing and saying he looks fine. I never bought that line of garbage either.

I can watch all the games either live or on tape and make up my own mind. And I know a bust when I see one. Pead is a certifiable bust and Quick is prayer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
@-X- are you still working on your "all of the drops" video? Probably going to be a really depressing video, but I'm curious to see it.
Nah. I went in another direction instead. The last few videos I made were in support of the idea that the wait it over. Any video I make going forward is going to be along the same lines. Sorry.

Isiah58

UDFA
In the Carolina game, Quick had 97 yards receiving and, truthfully, should have had a lot more. But it appeared that he was starting to be used more and starting to make big plays. Then Bradford got hurt, and Clemens took his place. Over the remaining 9 games, Brian Quick got a total of 10 passes thrown his way. Of those 10, he caught 9.

As Coach O has pointed out, Clemens simply could not, or would not, throw Quick's way. For all we know, Quick could have made dramatic improvements and no one would ever known. During that same time frame (the last 9 games of '13), Alshon Jeffery received 91 targets. Quick caught 90% of those passes thrown his way during that time - what would he have done if he had been thrown 91 passes instead of 10? Maybe people would be talking about Brian Quick being a break out player for 2014?

The Rams passing attack when Bradford went down basically deteriorated, and it is unfair to judge these guys based on the second half of '13. That said, they will probably get this year to show they are starting NFL receivers or they will be replaced with someone else.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I guess we just differ on what the draft is supposed to accomplish. I want players who can develop and be long term solutions to making this a better football team. I for one, (and I know I am in the minority here), don't get all caught up with when a guy is picked. I see it as taking the guy that you want, when you think you need to, not what the others seem to slot him in terms of perceived value.

They went up and took Austin, because that is the guy they wanted, and they knew they couldn't wait on him. Obviously, they sit back and roll the dice and lose out on some guys they may want, and then they adjust and take the "next" guy on THEIR board. It doesn't matter to me in the least that Quick was taken at #33. Would your feeling about him be any different if he had been taken where Givens was taken and the results were the same?

Kinda like the whole Pead/Richardson debate. Or Stacy/Cunningham for that matter. Didn't seem to matter to them which was taken higher. But it does say something about who they think has more ability to help this team moving forward.

Until they cut bait with either of them, I will maintain they still feel these guys can develop into the players they drafted them to become. But draft status should not have any bearing on when that is.

I couldn't disagree with you more on what the draft is all about. I really don't even know where to start.

If you don't see the difference between moving up to pick Austin at #8 because the Jets were ready to pick him at #9, from picking a 3rd round value at #33 overall then I can't help.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It is really a lot simpler than that. All they had to do was to do what many on this board said to do, pick Jeffery instead of Quick.

Sure, it's water under the bridge now. But it just goes to show how critical it is not to take surprise projects at pick #33. You take those guys after the 3rd round. I chalk that mistake up to a rookie GM going nuts. And Snead went Martzian again trading down and picking Pead. I got the sense that Fisher had enough of that when he said he'd get Bobby Wagner mad if they missed on Joyner.

Thankfully, I think they've found their footing after the 2012 craziness.

To be fair, we really don't know how well Jeffrey would be performing with this team minus Cutler, Forte, and a veteran tutor and player in Brandon Marshall drawing coverage away opposite him. For all we know Quick might even look a lot better in Chicago under those circumstances, too.

In the Carolina game, Quick had 97 yards receiving and, truthfully, should have had a lot more. But it appeared that he was starting to be used more and starting to make big plays. Then Bradford got hurt, and Clemens took his place. Over the remaining 9 games, Brian Quick got a total of 10 passes thrown his way. Of those 10, he caught 9.

As Coach O has pointed out, Clemens simply could not, or would not, throw Quick's way. For all we know, Quick could have made dramatic improvements and no one would ever known. During that same time frame (the last 9 games of '13), Alshon Jeffery received 91 targets. Quick caught 90% of those passes thrown his way during that time - what would he have done if he had been thrown 91 passes instead of 10? Maybe people would be talking about Brian Quick being a break out player for 2014?

The Rams passing attack when Bradford went down basically deteriorated, and it is unfair to judge these guys based on the second half of '13. That said, they will probably get this year to show they are starting NFL receivers or they will be replaced with someone else.

Carolina was a funny one, usually 97 yards is fairly decent, but watching it back it left a lot to be desired for me.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Disagree.

You gotta have heart and attitude to be the best. Pead is a genuine head case. And the jury is out on Quick having the mental toughness to live up to his physical talent.

I remember a poster saying he went to all the practices when Jason Smith was playing and saying he looks fine. I never bought that line of garbage either.

I can watch all the games either live or on tape and make up my own mind. And I know a bust when I see one. Pead is a certifiable bust and Quick is prayer.

Not sure what's in your craw today, but you obviously think you know all there is to know. You have determined that Pead is a "genuine head case". And that Quick's problems are all related to lacking mental toughness.

Then I guess we don't need to watch anymore of them or trust that this staff actually has a better handle of these guys than you do, because you WATCH THE GAMES and can decide for yourself. Either that, you have a direct pipeline to the meeting rooms, or have had direct contact with the trainers, either way, I think I'll choose not to take your word for it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I couldn't disagree with you more on what the draft is all about. I really don't even know where to start.

If you don't see the difference between moving up to pick Austin at #8 because the Jets were ready to pick him at #9, from picking a 3rd round value at #33 overall then I can't help.

You just said the exact same thing as I did with regards to Austin. They knew they had to move up to get him. And as far as Quick is concerned, in THEIR opinion he wasn't going to last to the 3rd round, as you obviously do.

And what makes you think I would ever ask you for help in any way shape or form? its one thing to have differing opinions, but I have never come on here and claimed mine is the only RIGHT one, as you seem to be doing a lot on here today.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
picking a 3rd round value at #33 overall then I can't help.
You know he would have been available at 65 overall (Rams first pick in the third round), even though 4 other receivers went off the board before that? How could you possibly know that? For all you know, he could have been gone before their second 2nd round pick.

FRO

Legend
To be fair, we really don't know how well Jeffrey would be performing with this team minus Cutler, Forte, and a veteran tutor and player in Brandon Marshall drawing coverage away opposite him. For all we know Quick might even look a lot better in Chicago under those circumstances, too.
Do you think he would have more than 29 career catches at this point and 4 TDs?

Let it be known I wasn't a Jeffrey guy and for me to sit here and say that's the guy they should have taken is silly of me. Others could make that point. I can't.