How concerned are you with our WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
That's fine regardless of where you pick him. Just get the pick right.

That's how I draft. I don't make my big board based on who will get drafted where or who others think are the best talents. I identify players that stand out to me that I think will be special and that fit the scheme as well as needs. I put those players on the draft board. The others? I don't. I don't care if Marqise Lee is considered a top 40 talent and most people think he'll be productive. I'm going to draft the guy I feel will be special. And if that's not Marqise Lee, I'm not drafting him.

So I don't disagree with that approach. You trust your evaluative ability and pick the guys you feel strongest about...regardless of where others ranked them. If you're a good evaluator, in the end, it won't matter. Drafting well is simple. It's just about evaluating talent. Who cares if you drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd when he would have fallen to the 5th? Certainly nobody will be complaining if the guy turns into a quality player. Evaluate talent, trust your gut, and trust your board. Trying to figure out where players are slotted and whether you can get them at different points in the draft is pure guess-work. And it's risky. If you feel strongly about a guy, take him where you can get him.

FWIW, rumor was that the Jets wanted Quick and would have taken him instead of Stephen Hill.
I also heard the Browns were in on Quick too. You never know where a guy is going to get picked, so if you love him, get him. No need to get Bobby Wagoner mad when you don't need to. To date Quick hasn't worked out. If only we would have had Jrry32 pick our second round. You nailed it before hand. I didn't. If I were drafting we would have ended up with Fleener, Jenkins, and Randle. A little better than Snead, but still pretty underwhelming.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
For the rookies I understand your point. It's fair. And for those expecting Watkins to come in and be a 1,000 yard guy, it probably won't happen because rookies just don't put up those types of rookie numbers. I wanted Watkins because long term I feel like he will be an elite WR. I am also more than fine with the Robinson pick. The disconnect between me and you is over Quick. Your on the optimistic side, I'm on the pessimistic side. I pray to God that you are right and I am wrong. I just feel like we should have seen more out of him in 2 years than we have. The talent is definitely there. Not denying that, but will he get it mentally. That's the 100 million dollar question.

Obviously, I am a huge fan of his ability. I guess that is from what I have watched throughout training camp. I am as frustrated as anyone when it comes to his lack of development. But I have seen him do things in practice (and seem glimpses of it in games) that no one else on this roster can do. I just think at some point, they need to show the confidence in him and just let him play. IF he cannot get it done, then cut your losses and move on.

But IMO, the worst thing they can do as they move into his 3rd year, is continue to give him spot duty, and mess with his confidence any more than they have already. I am optimistic that if he goes into camp with the idea that its his job to lose this year, as opposed to having to prove he can handle the load, he will impress. He's just too talented.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Quick pick at #33 was a head scratcher for every draft guy I read, heard, or spoke with. I challenge you to find one resource that had Quick anywhere near #33. You see it all the time, a team falls in love with a "secret" player and just has to have him regardless of what his value is. That's fine, but not at the top of the 2nd round.
Didn't answer my question. How do you know he would have been there a full round later?

FRO

Legend
Obviously, I am a huge fan of his ability. I guess that is from what I have watched throughout training camp. I am as frustrated as anyone when it comes to his lack of development. But I have seen him do things in practice (and seem glimpses of it in games) that no one else on this roster can do. I just think at some point, they need to show the confidence in him and just let him play. IF he cannot get it done, then cut your losses and move on.

But IMO, the worst thing they can do as they move into his 3rd year, is continue to give him spot duty, and mess with his confidence any more than they have already. I am optimistic that if he goes into camp with the idea that its his job to lose this year, as opposed to having to prove he can handle the load, he will impress. He's just too talented.
It's never been about the physical with him. It's there. If we could combine Pettis' mental attributes and his toughness and fearlessness and combine them with Quick's athletic ability and upside we would be set. The NFL is such a mental league that you have to be pretty sharp to succeed. I'm hopeful in year three the lightbulb goes off. By not drafting a receiver he has to realize that it's his turn to snatch a starting role and run with it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You have a fair shot then and with Watkins being a rookie you may have the advantage. I hope you win.
That, and his QB is anything but proven + the average temp in Buffalo is about 9.

FRO

Legend
That, and his QB is anything but proven + the average temp in Buffalo is about 9.
You know I actually like Manual, maybe more as a person than a QB and I don't know the guy. He just comes off well in interviews.

You have a fair shot then and with Watkins being a rookie you may have the advantage. I hope you win.

Hey :mad:...I hope he wins also, mainly due to both of them having good seasons rather than all 3 sucking.

If Robert Woods can out produce those two with EJ Manuel, Thaddeus Lewis and Jeff Tuel both Cook and Britt will have to do better.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If Robert Woods can out produce those two with EJ Manuel, Thaddeus Lewis and Jeff Tuel both Cook and Britt will have to do better.
Just get your money ready. I prefer 4 piles of $500K each.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
To be fair to me, I have been total doom and gloom. I shared my concern for our receiving corps. I think it's a legitimate concern. While I'm not as optimistic as some, I don't believe I have been overly negative. I believe I have been fair. I am also biased towards myself and I could be acting like a real A-hole and just not realizing it.

That's why I set apart and underlined this part in my post: "According to the purveyors of gloom and doom(none here at ROD of course:cool:)" so that everyone knew it was not directed at anyone in this thread or at ROD.

Why post it here then? Because every once in a while it's good to remind ourselves that negativity just for the hell of it is not only tiresome, it is contagious.

Btw I also have concerns about certain aspects of this team but realize that we're now in the post-Linehan/Spags era and that there is reason for great optimism that this owner, GM, and coaching staff have a plan and know what they're doing.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Didn't answer my question. How do you know he would have been there a full round later?

I could say I just know, and it couldn't be disproven. But that's not the point. The point is that if they were worried that he wouldn't be there a full round later, you don't just use #33 on the guy. You can pick up a 5th rounder moving from #33 down just a few spots. The Rams gave up a 5th to go from 44 to 41. High 2nd rounders are premium picks.

wrstdude

Rookie
I could say I just know, and it couldn't be disproven. But that's not the point. The point is that if they were worried that he wouldn't be there a full round later, you don't just use #33 on the guy. You can pick up a 5th rounder moving from #33 down just a few spots. The Rams gave up a 5th to go from 44 to 41. High 2nd rounders are premium picks.
Lolwut?

Sure, if you're 12 & arguing w/ 8 year olds...