How concerned are you with our WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Philly5

Rookie
Good thread.

Fisher/Snead must think we have at least an average group of WRs for them not to attempt improving the position via the draft. They know we have a ton riding on the position.

I wanted Watkins, so am very concerned with the position.

Britt doesn't seem like much more than a lottery ticket at this point. Lots of issues. Hopefully he can at least help out the young guys.

If we had our emphasis on running the ball before the 2013 draft, would we have even picked Tavon in the first round? Hopefully we get him downfield in space more to take advantage of his big plays.

Who knows with Quick. He should have shown more by now. He needs to be at least an average NFL WR this year.

Bailey is my favorite of the group, and of course he gets suspended.

Tough to play Givens a lot if he only excels at home runs.

Pettis is Pettis. On most teams a 3 or 4.

I hope we have a couple guys that step up and make plays. We should look better with Bradford back and a year of experience. Hard to believe we still have this much uncertainty.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just got back from being outside, and despite conflicting reports, I'm happy to report that the sky is not falling.

Ladies? What's it look like in your neck of the woods?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good thread.

Fisher/Snead must think we have at least an average group of WRs for them not to attempt improving the position via the draft. They know we have a ton riding on the position.

I wanted Watkins, so am very concerned with the position.

Britt doesn't seem like much more than a lottery ticket at this point. Lots of issues. Hopefully he can at least help out the young guys.

If we had our emphasis on running the ball before the 2013 draft, would we have even picked Tavon in the first round? Hopefully we get him downfield in space more to take advantage of his big plays.

Who knows with Quick. He should have shown more by now. He needs to be at least an average NFL WR this year.

Bailey is my favorite of the group, and of course he gets suspended.

Tough to play Givens a lot if he only excels at home runs.

Pettis is Pettis. On most teams a 3 or 4.

I hope we have a couple guys that step up and make plays. We should look better with Bradford back and a year of experience. Hard to believe we still have this much uncertainty.
Yo! Philly! Sup dude!

I just got back from being outside, and despite conflicting reports, I'm happy to report that the sky is not falling.

Ladies? What's it look like in your neck of the woods?

Not yet but I' beginning to see cracks in it...they may just be clouds though :confused:.

lockdnram21

Legend
Here are the receivers projected stats over 16 games with Bradford as QB:
Tavon Austin:
66 Catches
450 Yards
4 TDs

Chris Givens:
41 Catches
674 Yards
0 TDs

Austin Pettis:
57 Catches
573 Yards
9 TDs

Brian Quick
20 Catches
448 Yards
2 TDs

Jared Cook
59 Catches
786 Yards
4 TDs

Pettis was the biggest loser of Sam getting hurt.

i think Pettis stats wouldn't look like that. He was starting to loose snaps. I also think Quick would have had between 25-30 catches and at least 2more tds

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hey X, good site. Wish I could access it at work.

Unfortunately on our WRs the sky is still mostly falling in my world.
Well, you know what that means...

You have to change jobs.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Here are the receivers projected stats over 16 games with Bradford as QB:
Tavon Austin:
66 Catches
450 Yards
4 TDs

Chris Givens:
41 Catches
674 Yards
0 TDs

Austin Pettis:
57 Catches
573 Yards
9 TDs

Brian Quick
20 Catches
448 Yards
2 TDs

Jared Cook
59 Catches
786 Yards
4 TDs

Pettis was the biggest loser of Sam getting hurt.
Interesting stats. And it makes me think about Austin in particular.

He started off leading the league in dropped passes. But he cleaned that up. Then Bradford went down. So I wonder if this is based on last year's stats with Bradford. If so I have really good reason to be optimistic here, because I really don't think that will be an ongoing issue for Tavon.

I also don't expect Pettis to get that many targets, especially when Bailey comes back.

F. Mulder

Starter
I AM concerned about the WRs but I break it down this way--We need 3 to become solid NFL WRs. I don't know who that 3 will be and am putting T Austin in there because to me he is a slam dunk but I don't care if it is Givens, Quick, Bailey, Britt, Pettis,, as long as 3 of them develop they will be fine and we can evaluate the "lower 2-4" next year. For me it really is make or break for projects like Quick, teases like Givens, blue-collar guys like Pettis, and guys trying to find a rebirth in Britt. Regardless, they are going to run a ton of 2 TE sets with obviously 2-3 WRs max. You won't see this group going 4 WR with no TE. My concern/hope is that 3 of them grab the bit and become who the Rams personnel office thought they could become. I don't care what trio that ends up being but if it is one of those roller coasters where a new trio is in every other week due to ineffectiveness then I AM worried.

A55VA6

Legend
My concern level is a 3/10. So I'm not all too concerned.

I think Jared Cook will have a good year and Tavon Austin could go for a TD anytime he touches the ball. We all know what Givens is capable of but he just needs to rebound from last year. Britt is a ? since he's been very good and very bad all at the same time, Quick could take a step forward, we know what we'll get from Pettis. And after the 4 game suspension, I think Bailey will start to become Sam's favorite target.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I AM concerned about the WRs but I break it down this way--We need 3 to become solid NFL WRs. I don't know who that 3 will be and am putting T Austin in there because to me he is a slam dunk but I don't care if it is Givens, Quick, Bailey, Britt, Pettis,, as long as 3 of them develop they will be fine and we can evaluate the "lower 2-4" next year. For me it really is make or break for projects like Quick, teases like Givens, blue-collar guys like Pettis, and guys trying to find a rebirth in Britt. Regardless, they are going to run a ton of 2 TE sets with obviously 2-3 WRs max. You won't see this group going 4 WR with no TE. My concern/hope is that 3 of them grab the bit and become who the Rams personnel office thought they could become. I don't care what trio that ends up being but if it is one of those roller coasters where a new trio is in every other week due to ineffectiveness then I AM worried.
That's a good point about the new trio every other week, FM. We need continuity. It's been a revolving door of mediocrity since Holt left.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd like to see Kendricks get way more involved this year. Some teams make a living off of the TE's (Saints, patriots), and I think we could be one of those teams. Cook and Kendricks should be able to FEAST on opposing defenses, IMO. Seriously, it wouldn't bother me one bit of those two became the top 2 receivers on this team this year.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'd like to see Kendricks get way more involved this year. Some teams make a living off of the TE's (Saints, patriots), and I think we could be one of those teams. Cook and Kendricks should be able to FEAST on opposing defenses, IMO. Seriously, it wouldn't bother me one bit of those two became the top 2 receivers on this team this year.

I think Kendricks is underrated. He's not a pro bowler, but he's a legitimate threat who can beat single coverage consistently. And he's catching the ball better each year.

A55VA6

Legend
Didn't Sam love throwing to his TE's in college? I really think Cook and Kendricks could make a huge impact in the passing game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Didn't Sam love throwing to his TE's in college? I really think Cook and Kendricks could make a huge impact in the passing game.
That's what I'm talking about. He and Gresham were a great tandem. Both Kendricks and Cook are enormous targets, and both can get downfield & get open. I really hope he starts keying on those guys this year. If Cook was better at blocking, those two in an Ace formation would be awesome. Hope Cook really gets down to business on improving in that area. I'd love to see those two more involved.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

I'm actually excited about our WRs this year. Scott Mitchell is the reason why.
If God forbid anything happens to Sam again this year, we aren't going to have to break stride like we did with Clemens last year. Mitchell is get the ball down the field and keep defenses honest
And as long as Sam Bradford stays healthy it will be even better.
We have the weapons with Tavon, Bailey, Givens, Quick, Britt, Pettis and in our TE's and RB's and we look rather stacked on paper. I think we are still the youngest team in the league again this year.
And then with our reinforced Oline with the likes of Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale and mix in all the added depth we picked up and are still acquiring like the Bond kid from UNC -- anyway, the WRs are gonna benefit from the extra protection Sam gets. I'm excited and happy we have a solid backup with a strong arm this year

Ramatik

Starter

I'm actually excited about our WRs this year. Scott Mitchell is the reason why.
If God forbid anything happens to Sam again this year, we aren't going to have to break stride like we did with Clemens last year. Mitchell is get the ball down the field and keep defenses honest
And as long as Sam Bradford stays healthy it will be even better.
We have the weapons with Tavon, Bailey, Givens, Quick, Britt, Pettis and in our TE's and RB's and we look rather stacked on paper. I think we are still the youngest team in the league again this year.
And then with our reinforced Oline with the likes of Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale and mix in all the added depth we picked up and are still acquiring like the Bond kid from UNC -- anyway, the WRs are gonna benefit from the extra protection Sam gets. I'm excited and happy we have a solid backup with a strong arm this year

I'm going with this.

NO need to be concerned at this point.

This is the hand dealt, so we'll just play it.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

And there it is, it has been written - I do believe that that might just be the truth written on this wall...