How about a draft crush megathread/tracker?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
H
Roche has maturity issues, his motor runs too cold for me, and he's underweight. Used to like him, but I watched more film. Not a player I'd take with a second round pick.
Yeah the more I look the less high I am on this edge group.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Considering position, rawness, and competition, I'd say rolling the dice on one of the pass rushers makes the most sense. Pass rushers can be raw and still have success right away.

Going from a AAA school and being able to start at Center in the NFL is not likely right away. I love how Meinerz plays but he wouldn't likely fix the Rams center problem this year. They could stick him at guard and hope he learns I guess. At the very least he looks like he could become a good guard.
Have you noticed that there doesn't seem to be many zone linemen in the draft? Or is that just me. Everything I see suggests that these guys are power lineman.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Have you noticed that there doesn't seem to be many zone linemen in the draft? Or is that just me. Everything I see suggests that these guys are power lineman.

I think the problem lies in college recruitment and roster building. They don't run zone schemes. So if a guy has good movement skills he is an OT, or on the defensive line. Defensive line is where the best athletes are needed and for many colleges finding a larger kid that can move well is not so easy. So there are less of them and when you find them they've got little experience in a ZBS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. That's what I gather from watching the Big Ten.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the problem lies in college recruitment and roster building. They don't run zone schemes. So if a guy has good movement skills he is an OT, or on the defensive line. Defensive line is where the best athletes are needed and for many colleges finding a larger kid that can move well is not so easy. So there are less of them and when you find them they've got little experience in a ZBS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. That's what I gather from watching the Big Ten.
I think you're exactly right. I remember hearing about how it takes about 3 or 4 years for offensive lineman to really get acclimated to the NFL game. A lot of this is probably for reasons that you just mentioned. That's why I'm not a big fan of being in a super bowl window and wanting to draft an offensive lineman to take on such a big responsibility.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think you're exactly right. I remember hearing about how it takes about 3 or 4 years for offensive lineman to really get acclimated to the NFL game. A lot of this is probably for reasons that you just mentioned. That's why I'm not a big fan of being in a super bowl window and wanting to draft an offensive lineman to take on such a big responsibility.

But you have to start somewhere. I have been hoping that they would draft a good center for years. If they had he’d already be on the roster. Most centers these days start as guards then move to center. Some can make the jump right to Center.

I wonder if having a veteran QB might help the transition of a college center into the NFL.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But you have to start somewhere. I have been hoping that they would draft a good center for years. If they had he’d already be on the roster. Most centers these days start as guards then move to center. Some can make the jump right to Center.

I wonder if having a veteran QB might help the transition of a college center into the NFL.
I think we'll see what we saw before. They may draft linemen late to develop but probably won't use premium picks. Personally I think we just need to add a center. I think Stafford's ability to get the ball out quickly and read blitzes will help them tremendously.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think we'll see what we saw before. They may draft linemen late to develop but probably won't use premium picks. Personally I think we just need to add a center. I think Stafford's ability to get the ball out quickly and read blitzes will help them tremendously.

I was so hopeful that McVay would prioritize the Oline every year, when he got Whitworth and Sullivan. A good Oline can make a huge difference. As many here know, I’ve been disappointed with the way this staff has addressed the Oline. The only good thing they’ve done recently was draft Edwards and they never sniff him if he had been healthy.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers could be a cap casualty. Might be time to finally be time to add some beef up front. And he has pass rush potential. Massive dude. Maybe a 4th or 3rd?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Just found out that Jah-Maine Martin's going back to school. Shit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.
Yeah someone earlier posted a decent explanation. Who do you see that fits the zone scheme?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just found out that Jah-Maine Martin's going back to school. Shit.
Damn. Didn't realize that the declaration date hasn't passed yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah someone earlier posted a decent explanation. Who do you see that fits the zone scheme?

There are a bunch of tackle converts in this class who will fit well. If we remove the guys who appear to be definite first round picks, I'd say (in no real order):
Alex Leatherwood
Wyatt Davis
Quinn Meinerz
Jaylon Moore
Royce Newman
Robert Hainsey
Liam Eichenberg
Creed Humphrey
Sam Cosmi
Landon Dickerson
James Hudson
Drake Jackson
Brenden Jaimes
D'Ante Smith

This isn't an exhaustive list. There are still a lot of guys I need to evaluate.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still high on Radunz but there are others who aren't far behind.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are a bunch of tackle converts in this class who will fit well. If we remove the guys who appear to be definite first round picks, I'd say (in no real order):
Alex Leatherwood
Wyatt Davis
Quinn Meinerz
Jaylon Moore
Royce Newman
Robert Hainsey
Liam Eichenberg
Creed Humphrey
Sam Cosmi
Landon Dickerson
James Hudson
Drake Jackson
Brenden Jaimes
D'Ante Smith

This isn't an exhaustive list. There are still a lot of guys I need to evaluate.
I see a lot of names I haven't seen before. Linemen are increasingly hard for me to get a read on

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Thoughts on Luke Easterling? Would say he's a good fit being our LT of the future. He's a raw prospect but will have a good opportunity to complete with Noteboom by year 2 if we draft him.

2021 NFL mock draft: Rams grab potential long-term solution at LT in 2nd round
6ca4455a718a46eb8f0e553d2e83b544.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

February 8, 2021 11:15 am

All signs point toward Andrew Whitworth returning to the Rams for the 2021 season, so long as they’ll have him back. He seems intent on playing a 16th season in the NFL at the age of 40 and being under contract through 2022, it only seems logical that the Rams would welcome him back.

But regardless of whether Whitworth returns in 2021, the Rams need to begin searching for his eventual replacement. In Luke Easterling’s new two-round mock draft for Draft Wire, he has the Rams finding a potential heir to Whitworth’s throne.

At No. 57 overall, Easterling has the Rams selecting Cincinnati left tackle James Hudson. He’s a raw left tackle prospect with a somewhat limited sample size playing the position in college, but he’s a talented player with a high ceiling. He performed well at the Senior Bowl and has the requisite size teams look for at left tackle (6-foot-4, 302 pounds).

Hudson is projected to be a second- or third-round pick in April and whichever team selects him will be getting a promising player, but maybe not one ready to contribute right away as a starter. Fortunately for the Rams, they don’t need an immediate starter.

Whitworth should be back in 2021 and with Joe Noteboom only having one year left on his contract, he’s not certain to be a long-term option to replace Whitworth. Hudson would give the Rams yet another player to compete for the position down the road, along with Bobby Evans and possibly even Tremayne Anchrum.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still high on Radunz but there are others who aren't far behind.
I've heard some rave reviews about him. Apparently people questioned whether he could compete with the big school prospects but he silences all doubters at the senior bowl

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thoughts on Luke Easterling? Would say he's a good fit being our LT of the future. He's a raw prospect but will have a good opportunity to complete with Noteboom by year 2 if we draft him.
Just a heads up, his name is James Hudson. Easterling is the guy doing the mock lol

I love me a developmental tackle though. He has all the athletic tools it sounds. Although I'm still scarred by the robinson pick of 2014.