Home Brewing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Sub. This is great. I have always wanted to brew. I mean, I have done some Mr Beer kits and such, but I want to try something more like what you guys are doing and talking about. A lot of my friends are big into it. Also..... I really like beer.

Cheers!
Depending on what your budget is, you can get started with a turkey fryer kit, propane, buckets, capper, bottles and an extract starter kit. Or if you're serious and can afford it, you can purchase an all grain system.

It's a great hobby and Mrs Faulk likes it as it keeps me at home to help her take care of the little Faulks.

• High Five
Reactions: Faceplant

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Depending on what your budget is, you can get started with a turkey fryer kit, propane, buckets, capper, bottles and an extract starter kit. Or if you're serious and can afford it, you can purchase an all grain system.

It's a great hobby and Mrs Faulk likes it as it keeps me at home to help her take care of the little Faulks.
Yep. @Faceplant I would suggest you try extract first and play with the malt, hops, and yeast before diving into all grain. A lot of the stuff you buy can be used with both processes.

Guess it depends on how fast you want to jump in, how much room you have for brewing and how much you want to spend. All grain costs more to get started but is far cheaper in the long run.

You can find inexpensive systems if you look hard. A lot of people buy the, use them once, and they sit in their garage until they get tired of tripping on them.

Join a couple home brew forums. They are often fun and you get a scoop on other people's mistakes. The members also tend to find great deals or are selling their stuff to upgrade.

• High Five
Reactions: Faceplant

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My entire 6 gallon set-up is mostly used equipment, I bought cheap from a friend. It’s a good way to get started if you can find clean used stuff.

You can always resell it, too, if the hobby flames out.

I bought 1 gallon bottles for these mini brews. Reusing a lot of old gear for wine to do what I am doing now.

I will post pictures after I finish a few steps today. 5 gallons on go.

2 gallons traditional mead, one of them I will finish with pumpkin (likely)
1 gallon blueberry mead
1 gallon ginger mead
1 gallon apple cider

Those two bottles I posted earlier are into bulk aging now. I was surprised how good they both tasted after 4 weeks. I’ll give them another 4 weeks before considering a move to dispensing bottles.

• 2Like
Reactions: FaulkSF and Faceplant

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here they are.

The two on the right, are the two from my earlier posts. One of them I will leave as plain traditional honey mead. It’s starting to clear. Looks like 12-13% on that one, the blueberry slightly less, tad more sweet.

Both of those are conditioned. I can back-sweeten more if need be at bottling.

The cider I started yesterday. It will move to a jug in 4-5 days.

The ginger I chopped and boiled then added the boiled water to the must. Smells awesome!

The last one is another traditional that I will flavor later. (y)

F99B6D9D-7416-4B94-AAC0-2CA3D18B728A.jpeg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was shocked at how good the one far right already tastes. That’s just 4wks old.

So, I don’t think they need much time.

I will keep them another 4 weeks like that. Depending on the rate they clear (a lot of meads don‘t clear good) if they look to be flattening out in 4 weeks I will move to bottles, likely. But they could sit 8 more weeks or longer if I want.

My guess is I’m drinking one of those in a month or so.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I was shocked at how good the one far right already tastes. That’s just 4wks old.

So, I don’t think they need much time.

I will keep them another 4 weeks like that. Depending on the rate they clear (a lot of meads don‘t clear good) if they look to be flattening out in 4 weeks I will move to bottles, likely. But they could sit 8 more weeks or longer if I want.

My guess is I’m drinking one of those in a month or so.
Right before you bottle, I suggest dropping the temp to about 50F for a day or two. The yeast will drop to the bottom and should help clear your Mead a bit.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Apple cider. This photo is sort of cool as it shows the color change in fermentation. It’s very active right now.

It sits like this (bottle below) at least 4 weeks.

EDB441D7-377A-44EF-9956-C47BFD3A7926.jpeg