Here’s a list of Rams mysteries that defy explanation or understanding…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
All you can hope is that they learned their lessons from last year and don't repeat them.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Another Ram mystery...

Why does the OP never seem to get the hint that relentless over-focus on negativity and second-guessing is irritating to the majority of posters?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another Ram mystery...

Why does the OP never seem to get the hint that relentless over-focus on negativity and second-guessing is irritating to the majority of posters?
Are you saying that you’re not the least bit interested in the answers to some of those questions?

That we should just shut up and accept dumbass decisions right under our noses?

Like the Bobby Evans decision, for example?

Sorry, I’m not wired that way, and I’ll bet over 90% of fans aren’t either.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Are you saying that you’re not the least bit interested in the answers to some of those questions?

That we should just shut up and accept dumbass decisions right under our noses?

Like the Bobby Evans decision, for example?

Sorry, I’m not wired that way, and I’ll bet over 90% of fans aren’t either.
Actually I agree with you in that I find most if not all of the questions you raise to be legit and interesting.

For me, it's just a subtle question of tone and emphasis.

We are a Ram family, and although constructive criticism is warranted, I believe the underlying themes of supportiveness and appreciation are important, too.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I have a sneaking suspicion we know the unspoken answer to a lot of those questions. "We fucked up".
Exactly. I'd guess that McVay and Snead would say the same as the answer to many of these...."we fucked up."

Running a pro football team is HARD. Thousands of decisions need to be made, and inevitably many of those decisions will be mistakes. The question is, can you make fewer mistakes than your competitors?

McVay and Snead have been on an enviable run of great success, with 2 NFC Championships and 1 Lombardi in the last 5 years. Yeah they made some mistakes in 2022, but given their track record, they've got a good chance to turn things back around.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As for the decisions. I agree that we as fans can second guess…to a point. McSnead has been incredible for us. Last year was our first losing season under McVay, and there were tons of injuries, all to key players or depth.

I don’t think this season is where we get competitive for Super Bowls, but we sure as hell will learn how our young players play, to separate the wheat from the chaff. It could be a good season or a bad one, but it certainly won’t be boring.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ve got my conspiracy theories, but will just hit the bell and call it good.

Attachments

• 295AB18A-9DD6-4A11-A512-0A401D30352E.gif
    295AB18A-9DD6-4A11-A512-0A401D30352E.gif
    61.8 KB · Views: 16

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As far as Wolford and Perkins, I can only guess that maybe they came cheaper than an experienced vet? Maybe he thought they wouldn't be needed?

Tutu over Creed has everyone scratching their heads over that one. But its possible he felt they didn't need a center as much as they needed a deep threat. Allen did play well enough to justify that thought in 2021. And how many people thought a late second round rookie would play as well as Humphrey did? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should have drafted Brock Purdy.

DJ1 was signed,so the head scratcher was why draft Tutu Atwell in the 2nd. He still would have been there in the 4th rd,unless The Rams took him in the 3rd.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's what I would *almost* guarantee.

If McVay and Snead sat you down and explained their rationale before each one of those decisions you would have been totally sold.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
There isn't a team in the NFL that has not made a bad decision on draft day.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I believe there are these types of questions every year. When you win they arent so big a deal. When you loose, well this is what happens.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why is spiking the ball intentionally to stop the clock not intentional grounding?

Child Take GIF

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually I agree with you in that I find most if not all of the questions you raise to be legit and interesting.

For me, it's just a subtle question of tone and emphasis.

We are a Ram family, and although constructive criticism is warranted, I believe the underlying themes of supportiveness and appreciation are important, too.
Good reply, man.

I will say that questioning dubious moves and loving McSnead and our Rams are not mutually exclusive.

Good fans can do both at the same time quite easily.

One would be hard pressed to find a more fervent Ram fan than yours truly, fwiw.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I offer these up in the spirit of entertainment and promotion of discussion and in no particular order:

WTH did McVay see in Wolford and Perkins as backup QB’s?

What was McVay thinking in drafting Atwell over Humphrey? And then not using Atwell?

Why did McVay at times last year try to run against good run D teams that were poor on pass D? And vice versa against poor run D teams that had good pass D?

Why was Brown made TE coach?

What, exactly, did coach Samples say or do to get hired as RB coach? (Brown personally chose him, btw).

What really caused the friction between Akers and Samples/McVay?

Why did Bobby Evans keep getting starts long after both Aboushi and Skura had learned the playbook?

Why did Rams start season with only 2 TE’s?

Why did Rams allow Von Miller to stall them until all good FA Edge players were gone?

Why did Morris keep starting Kendrick for 5 games after doctors had cleared Durant to play?

Why didn’t Rams protect sidelines during Brady’s last drive with no timeouts?

Why did Morris have to run the absolute softest zone (prevent) D with 3 HOFer’s on the field? Some soft zone, sure, but far and away the softest? C’mon…

Why haven’t Rams STILL not learned their lesson about Allen’s inability to stay healthy?

We will probably never know the real reasons behind any of the above although I do think that McVay was ‘distracted’ for much of the season and consequently not himself.

Anyway, just some food for thought and/or discussion for y’all…

WTH did McVay see in Wolford and Perkins as backup QB’s?

McVay liked what Wolford did against the Cardinals and how he was competing against the Seahawks before the injury, Perkins showed the ability to run with the ball and the Rams did not have a QB like him on the roster and Perkins prepared the defense against running QB's during practice.

What was McVay thinking in drafting Atwell over Humphrey? And then not using Atwell?

McVay felt he needed a home run threat plus they felt Atwell would be able to handle the punt & kickoff duties and they truly felt they had their Center in Austin Corbett.

Why did McVay at times last year try to run against good run D teams that were poor on pass D? And vice versa against poor run D teams that had good pass D?

It has been reported McVay was having some personal issues with his wife going through quite a bit with her family plus his grandfather's death, so IMHO, that clouded McVay last year and he was not on his game.

Why was Brown made TE coach?

McVay wanted to give Thomas Brown an opportunity to showcase more of his talents involving him more in the passing game. McVay started out as a TE Coach, which involves the combination of the running & passing game, so the move seemed like a natural progression and a golden opportunity for Brown.

What, exactly, did coach Samples say or do to get hired as RB coach? (Brown personally chose him, btw).

This was solely on Brown and I believe he liked Samples passion plus being younger felt that would translate well to younger players, but it didn't because Samples just did not have enough experience overall. Sometimes you swing & miss on assistants and again, McVay was trying to empower Brown.

What really caused the friction between Akers and Samples/McVay?

Nobody really knows, but IMO, McVay was backing his coach because he was taking a laid back approach, but after conversing with maybe Akers & Brown and getting Brown back with Akers, who shared a good rapport, it reenergized Akers, thus putting Brown back in the RB room, which sealed the fate of the first year RB Coach Samples.

Why did Bobby Evans keep getting starts long after both Aboushi and Skura had learned the playbook?

I was asking this question last year too, but it could have been former OL Coach Kevin Carberry trusting Evans more or trying to challenge him more hoping for better results. It was obvious to everyone that Evans did not belong on the field, but then again, is it possible that Evans practiced well as the others were trying to still get up to speed? Regardless, both Evans & Carberry are no longer with the Rams so again, maybe there is the answer to your question.

Why did Rams start season with only 2 TE’s?

This one is hard to figure, however, Brown was the TE Coach then he was moved back to RB Coach so the TE's were being handled by Zak Kromer so it might have been they only trusted Higbee & Hopkins and that nobody else was developed. That is why actually having someone coaching the TE's this year in Nick Caley has to be an upgrade.

Why did Morris keep starting Kendrick for 5 games after doctors had cleared Durant to play?

Again many of us asked this, but I do know Kendrick did impress them early and they liked his size so that played into their decision plus maybe protecting Durant until they truly felt he was 100% back.

Why didn’t Rams protect sidelines during Brady’s last drive with no timeouts?

It was a bad year last year and the decisions went south like the year before everything worked out.

Why did Morris have to run the absolute softest zone (prevent) D with 3 HOFer’s on the field? Some soft zone, sure, but far and away the softest? C’mon…

It was obvious that Morris had no confidence in his pass rush, which led to the cushion, hopefully this year, he believes in his younger talent to get to the QB more often with Donald on the field more.

Why haven’t Rams STILL not learned their lesson about Allen’s inability to stay healthy?

They love Allen for his leadership ability & to make the proper line calls plus Allen has an excellent rapport with Stafford. That is why he is still in horns. Quite frankly, I believe he is more durable then Noteboom. Keep in mind, Allen really bailed them out during the Super Bowl run after the Bobby Evans experiment at RG was an epic fail.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
Here's what I would *almost* guarantee.

If McVay and Snead sat you down and explained their rationale before each one of those decisions you would have been totally sold.
On most of them

But Playing Evans and Picking Tutu over Creed would have been a really hard sell to me