Here’s a list of Rams mysteries that defy explanation or understanding…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I offer these up in the spirit of entertainment and promotion of discussion and in no particular order:

WTH did McVay see in Wolford and Perkins as backup QB’s?

What was McVay thinking in drafting Atwell over Humphrey? And then not using Atwell?

Why did McVay at times last year try to run against good run D teams that were poor on pass D? And vice versa against poor run D teams that had good pass D?

Why was Brown made TE coach?

What, exactly, did coach Samples say or do to get hired as RB coach? (Brown personally chose him, btw).

What really caused the friction between Akers and Samples/McVay?

Why did Bobby Evans keep getting starts long after both Aboushi and Skura had learned the playbook?

Why did Rams start season with only 2 TE’s?

Why did Rams allow Von Miller to stall them until all good FA Edge players were gone?

Why did Morris keep starting Kendrick for 5 games after doctors had cleared Durant to play?

Why didn’t Rams protect sidelines during Brady’s last drive with no timeouts?

Why did Morris have to run the absolute softest zone (prevent) D with 3 HOFer’s on the field? Some soft zone, sure, but far and away the softest? C’mon…

Why haven’t Rams STILL not learned their lesson about Allen’s inability to stay healthy?

We will probably never know the real reasons behind any of the above although I do think that McVay was ‘distracted’ for much of the season and consequently not himself.

Anyway, just some food for thought and/or discussion for y’all…

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
scanners-ironside.gif

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As far as Wolford and Perkins, I can only guess that maybe they came cheaper than an experienced vet? Maybe he thought they wouldn't be needed?

Tutu over Creed has everyone scratching their heads over that one. But its possible he felt they didn't need a center as much as they needed a deep threat. Allen did play well enough to justify that thought in 2021. And how many people thought a late second round rookie would play as well as Humphrey did? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should have drafted Brock Purdy.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I offer these up in the spirit of entertainment and promotion of discussion and in no particular order:

What was McVay thinking in drafting Atwell over Humphrey? And then not using Atwell?

Why did McVay at times last year try to run against good run D teams that were poor on pass D? And vice versa against poor run D teams that had good pass D?

What, exactly, did coach Samples say or do to get hired as RB coach? (Brown personally chose him, btw).

Why did Bobby Evans keep getting starts long after both Aboushi and Skura had learned the playbook?

Why did Rams allow Von Miller to stall them until all good FA Edge players were gone?

Why did Morris keep starting Kendrick for 5 games after doctors had cleared Durant to play?

Why did Morris have to run the absolute softest zone (prevent) D with 3 HOFer’s on the field? Some soft zone, sure, but far and away the softest? C’mon…

Why haven’t Rams STILL not learned their lesson about Allen’s inability to stay healthy?

We will probably never know the real reasons behind any of the above although I do think that McVay was ‘distracted’ for much of the season and consequently not himself.

Along with several of the numerous instances mentioned above, I was quite pissed that McVay missed so many great opportunities to get our only FB/TE involved since it was beyond warranted that our needs for blocking at both the FB & TE positions were so incredibly desperate. Roger Carter was allowed one offensive snap last year, and I'm happy to say he made the most of it attempting to knock some sense into our H.C. Makes me wonder just how vindictive McVay truly is ?

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
As far as Wolford and Perkins, I can only guess that maybe they came cheaper than an experienced vet? Maybe he thought they wouldn't be needed?

Tutu over Creed has everyone scratching their heads over that one. But its possible he felt they didn't need a center as much as they needed a deep threat. Allen did play well enough to justify that thought in 2021. And how many people thought a late second round rookie would play as well as Humphrey did? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We should have drafted Brock Purdy.
Brock Purdy would still be Mr Irrelevant if he was drafted by the Rams. He’s was in self driving car with the Niners until it ran over a curb in the NFC Championship game. Last year with the Rams he would have been in a Pinto with gas cans in the back seat.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.

Why bother asking ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why can't I wear white after labor day?
Because you should be wearing a dark wool suit and a dark fedora, if you want to be stylish like @den-the-coach . Plus, if you wear your straw hat after Labor Day, kids will knock it off your head and ruin it!

oldnotdead

Legend
You can knit-pick any and every coach on their decisions. Hindsight may be 20/20 but hindsight is looking for excuses. I prefer to look at the totality of things and the ultimate end results. Only one losing season in 6 years, two Super Bowl appearances with one win. Sorry but I will take that over all the other things.

I accept that in designing a passing scheme McVay is a genius, but not so much in the run game. The only real head scratcher is why purge so many coaches for poor performance but retain Morris who took a #1 defense and dropped it to a 19th ranking in just a couple of years with 3 potential HOF players on that defense. McVay like Morris plays favorites when it comes to personnel decisions. Morris is a friend so he overlooks his shortcomings. Case in point, Goff wasn't McVay's choice for QB so he sabotaged the guy to keep him from developing. In Detroit Goff has blossomed into a top 10 QB. The same way Morris benched Rochell to play Kendrick who looked like a scrub out there but he kept Rochell on the bench while Kendrick stunk up the stadium. Beginning to see the pattern?

Hopefully, the hiring of Jimmy Lake and Pleasant will mitigate Morris' piss poor coaching. Let Raheem call the plays on gameday but keep him the hell away on the practice field. Zone defensive schemes can be very effective if played properly, as Staley showed, by properly I mean aggressively. In Staley's zone he wanted every catch contested. In Morris' zone he's only concerned about limiting big plays. That's why he and Ramsey got into a shouting match during Raheem's first TC.

As long as Morris is DC the Rams will have to win with offense. Fortunately the Rams have the offense to do just that. This offense IMO is better and deeper at key positions than their Super Bowl winning team. Looking at what I project as their depth chart this year it's actually better overall.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Many examples of coaches being human, and not above reproach, no matter how successful they’ve been.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
"What did we see in Drew Bennett? And why didn't we stick with Klopfenstein?"~ AvengerRamos

Hey, I actually thought Klopfenstein would be good!

…I’ll go cry in a corner now.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
"You can spend years months, days, analyzing a situation. Wondering what could of, should of, happened...or you can leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on" 2pac