Has the NFL Free Agency pool Dried Up?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Top remaining NFL free agents at each position: James Conner, Larry Fitzgerald headline big names left
A look at all of the best players that are still unsigned
By Cody Benjamin

Almost all of this year's top NFL free agents have found new homes or re-signed to familiar ones, but most teams peruse the market all the way through summer and up to the start of the season.

Once the draft comes and goes, plenty of squads turn back to the pool of lingering veterans to fill remaining holes and gather competition for training camp.

With that in mind, here's a look at the top remaining free agents at each position (players' previous teams in parentheses):

QBs
Others available: Blaine Gabbert (Buccaneers), Robert Griffin III (Ravens)

With former Giants backup Colt McCoy expected to join the Cardinals as Kyler Murray's No. 2, it's slim pickings at QB. Smith would be a fine mentor but offers little in terms of arm talent these days. Everyone else is a replacement-level No. 2, if not No. 3.

RBs
Others available: Jerick McKinnon (49ers), Wayne Gallman (Giants), Rex Burkhead (Patriots)

WRs
Others available: Alshon Jeffery (Eagles), Damiere Byrd (Patriots), Dede Westbrook (Jaguars)

Still a few notable names left from a deep free-agent WR class. Both Brown and Fitzgerald could be high-floor No. 2s and are best suited for contenders. Taint probably has a little more in the tank than most realize. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot for reserve depth.

TEs
Others available: Ricky Seals-Jones (Chiefs), Luke Willson (Jaguars), Jeremy Sprinkle (Washington)

Don't come here looking for a starter. This is a bunch of old or oft-injured vets who, frankly, might stay unsigned into August. Burton is underrated when healthy, and Rodgers finished well in Philly, but there's a reason this crop is still unsigned.

OL
Others available: Jason Peters (Eagles), James Carpenter (Falcons), Bobby Massie (Bears)

The elite blockers are all gone, but if you're desperate for short-term starting experience, you can do a whole lot worse. Schwartz, Fisher and Villanueva would make for decent Day One tackles. Plenty of mid-tier emergency options in this group.

DL
Others available: Christian Covington (Bengals), Steve McLendon (Buccaneers), Danny Shelton (Lions)

Much like the other spots, we've got a lot of older or oft-injured vets here, albeit with plenty of starting experience. Teams won't want to dip in here until exhausting draft options, but guys like Casey, Peters and Jones can still be quality 4-3 DTs or 3-4 DEs.

EDGE
Others available: Aldon Smith (Cowboys), Everson Griffen (Lions), Trent Murphy (Bills)

This might be the strongest remaining group of any free-agent position. Clowney has not lived up to his name for a while, but everyone else here could easily be added as a starter in 2021. Vernon, in particular, probably isn't getting enough love for his return to form.

LBs
Others available: Kwon Alexander (Saints), L.J. Fort (Ravens), Sean Lee (Cowboys)

The edge rushers offer more upside, but this group isn't bad, either. Wright and Williams are both short-term solutions at 31, but they can start pretty reliably. Younger options like Wilson and Campbell, meanwhile, should certainly be in starting lineups come fall.

CBs
Others available: Quinton Dunbar (Seahawks), Gareon Conley (Texans)

If you need a quick fix on the outside, there are plenty of options here. Sherman is a risky bet because of his age and health, but the floor is high if he's healthy. Breeland and Nelson could easily be one-year flyers and give you 14-16 adequate starts.

Safeties
Others available: Ricardo Allen (Falcons), Kenny Vaccaro (Titans), Sean Davis (Steelers)

Not a whole lot of certainty here. The best gamble would be Hooker, who has struggled mightily with injuries but flashed play-making ability earlier in his career. If you need an experienced No. 3 or something, this wouldn't be a bad group to pick from.

unsigned nfl free agents 2020 - Bing

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
iu

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is wrong with Center Free Agent Austin Reiter?

Former Team, Kansas City Chiefs

6'3 300 lbs
DOB: 11/27/1991 (29 years old)

Austin Reiter is a better pass blocker than he is in the run game, with PFF grades of at least 78.0 in every season until 2020.

In 2020 Reiter received a PFF grade of 70.9.

Total snaps 1,044
Played in 16 games: 5 holding penalties: 2 penalties declined

Total snaps 867
Played in 15 games: 1 holding penalty: 1 penalty declined

What is wrong with this veteran center not getting any attention after the the first few waves of free agency have ended?

Surely he could be had for a cheap 1 year veteran contract.

Since 2018, Reiter has appeared in 42 games for Kansas City, including 32 total starts.

He’s surrendered just 3 sacks and 16 total pressures during his regular-season career with the Chiefs per Pro Football Focus.

You have to go all the way back to Super Bowl LIV to find the last time that he surrendered a sack.
2021 free agency: Chiefs interested in re-signing center Austin Reiter (usatoday.com)

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Ive singled in on him

6'3 300 lbs

Austin Reiter is a better pass blocker than he is in the run game, with PFF grades of at least 78.0 in every season until 2020.

Total snaps 1,044

Total snaps 867

What is wrong with this veteran center not getting any attention after the the first few waves of free agency have ended?

Since 2018, Reiter has appeared in 42 games for Kansas City, including 32 total starts.

He’s surrendered just 3 sacks and 16 total pressures during his regular-season career with the Chiefs per Pro Football Focus.

You have to go all the way back to Super Bowl LIV to find the last time that he surrendered a sack.
2021 free agency: Chiefs interested in re-signing center Austin Reiter (usatoday.com)

I've singled in on him for a while now. I don't get it. To me he is better than Blythe.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Sorry bout the double post guys don't even know how that happens lol...point being I like Reiter!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Lot’s of pass rushers with big names but not a lot of recent production (Clowney, Ingram, Houston, Kerrigan, Vernon). I suspect that some, if not all of them, have set their price WAY above the market. If they come back to Earth, there could be a short term gem in that group.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Not much money leftover in the league. Most these guys gonna sign low one year deals. Would say let’s get an OL - but yeah right. So...sure wouldn’t mind about $4M total spent on one of Ingram/Houston and an iLB as depth additions to the roster.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Would love to have justin Houston or kj Wright. But idk the cost. I imagine the rams are done and will use remaining cap space for draftees and resigning players.

dang

Legend
So admittedly a lot of my desire for some FA action is due to boredom. Beyond that, with the loss of Johnson, Brockers, Hill, Fox and Ebukam - I feel the Rams could benefit from adding a couple FAs on defense for experience and leadership. Adding one of KJ Wright, Eric Wilson, Kwon Alexander, Avery Williamson, Engram or Justin Houston on a one year deal would boost the Rams defense.

dang

Legend
So admittedly a lot of my desire for some FA action is due to boredom. Beyond that, with the loss of Johnson, Brockers, Hill, Fox and Ebukam - I feel the Rams could benefit from adding a couple FAs on defense for experience and leadership. Adding one of KJ Wright, Eric Wilson, Kwon Alexander, Avery Williamson, Engram or Justin Houston on a one year deal would boost the Rams defense.

Then find a decent FA CB/DB to round out the D along with any defensive draftees.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

6'3 300 lbs

Total snaps 1,044

Total snaps 867

I'm on the Reiter bandwagon. Known-quantity center who has started the last two seasons and seems excellent in pass pro (but mediocre in run game).

Can be had for a short term deal similar to the one Blythe signed.

Really makes sense, kinda surprised the Rams haven't signed him yet. I guess for now the Rams are content to continue the stare-down waiting game.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think Reiter wants to workout a deal still w/ KC.. I too would be hot after him as well. Also I would add Brian Poole as a slot CB on the cheap. Houston appears to want too much cheddar but I would be okay adding him for a max of 2 more season if the numbers were not high.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The lack of interest in Reiter or at least lack of public interest may be a sign that the run game is a priority
for our new OL regime

fearsomefour

Legend
I like the edge guys and a couple of the CB and that’s about it.
Signing Patterson would be nice just to put an end to the return game struggles.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Edge Justin Houston
Linebacker Eric Wilson
Corner Steve Nelson
Center Austin Reiter

All major holes filled going into the draft.

dang

Legend
Edge Justin Houston
Linebacker Eric Wilson
Corner Steve Nelson
Center Austin Reiter

All major holes filled going into the draft.
I’m resigned to the belief the Rams feel they have the vets needed for the OL. Would love to add either an ILB/OLB and a CB.