Greg Robinson - Rams Top Pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
No doubt Robinson would do amazing things for the run game. I also believe that Yankey or the OG from UCLA can be very good OG as well. Is it really worth taking an OG with a top 10 pick? I don't think so.

The rams are paying Long big bucks. Saffold will probably cost 5-7 million to keep. Now the dilemma is at RT. Joe becomes a FA after the season. With two OL already (assuming Saffold stays) eating away at the cap, do the rams pony up the cash for Joe as well?

If I were to guess, I would say the rams will trade down 2-4 spots where either Robinson or Mathews may still be available. Draft one of the OL mentioned above and start him at LG with idea of moving Long to RT in 2015 and one of the rookies to take over at LT. Barksdale will end up getting at least 4 million if he has a solid season in 2014. Doubt the rams will have the cap space to pay a 3rd OL 4+ million.

Im happy with the rams selecting Robinson/Mathews but only after trading down and using it to fill other holes on the roster. Rams need immediate help on the OL in 2014 and 2015
Robinson has future pro bowl tackle potential, but like I said, with Long and Barksdale right now, I'd start him out at guard. Worked well for
Jonathan Ogden and the Ravens.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
One year at Guard to open running lanes for Stacy...and then slide out to either LT or RT is a solid plan. I'd rather grab in in a trade down,however.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Robinson's problems in pass protection come from a lack of experience. He has it all as far as his physical skillset goes, including quick feet, therefore there's no reason for him to lose weight.

Similiar to Jason Smith. Robinson MAY be able to develop as a pass protector, and he may not. That is why I want Matthews. I think inevitably Robinson ends up as a ORT. I would like them both though, just like Jerry said. Matthews at OLT Robinson at ORG and Jake Long at ORT. Now that is an instantly upgraded OLine. Resign Saffold and then Fisher can run on ANYONE.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the bloodlines of Mathews.

May not have the Robinson ceiling, but an all-pro for the next 15 years.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In the movie, Beetlejuice, the title character (played by actor Michael Keaton) attempted to trick an African witch doctor near the end of the movie. For his evil effort, the witch doctor sprinkled some exotic dust over his head which caused Beetlejuice's head to shrink. The joke is that Rodger Saffold has bulked himself up so much now in the weight room to over 330 pounds that his head appears "shrunken" with respect to his massive shoulders---much like the shrunken head of the Beetlejuice character.

Its in the family genes...Saffold is a powerful tank now its always been hard for him to keep his nearly 6-5 frame down in the 310 to 315 range. After loosing his OLT post to Jake...Rodger thinking he could put on some pounds @ ORT cut it loose in the off season in the weight room and when photos of the OL appeared early in training camp Rodger was thick real thick...so thick that his head well looked like it belonged on a WR.

Boudreau knowing how strong and massive Rodger has gotten inserted him into the OG post asap when Harvey got hurt. Well Harvey was never seen again &...Rodger....just destroyed & blew up interior DL's from his OG post!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like the bloodlines of Mathews.

May not have the Robinson ceiling, but an all-pro for the next 15 years.

Matthews is OT ready now GR is not. JM could play all five OL post NOW! GR could do maybe two....this season anyway. If there is no trade down and Jake Long is still an Unknown with Barksdale a UFA in a year....Jake Matthews brings more to the Ram team now! He is the better player now. If Jake Long is able to play OLT Matthews becomes our starting OLG and our swing OT when season starts. I have questions if Robinson could be a swing OT or play on the Right side. If GR was drafted & Jake Long was able to play OLT then GR is our starting OLG day one. Mot much difference.

If Fisher continues with a run and run and run maybe pass then GR would be a perfect fit if Fisher wants to become more balanced & use some of the weapons he has sitting on the sideline on offense then Jake Matthews is far the better choice. With Sam Bradford in the mix of thought ...Jake Matthews is more Sam friendly player.

fearsomefour

Legend
Maybe a Cleveland trade would do that. But I doubt Robinson makes it past the 8th pick.
I think Robinson, Clowney, Watkins, Mack and three of the QBs are making up the top 7, Matthews could fall to 8 or may instead of Robinson as he is more complete.

jjab360

Legend
Similiar to Jason Smith. Robinson MAY be able to develop as a pass protector, and he may not. That is why I want Matthews. I think inevitably Robinson ends up as a ORT. I would like them both though, just like Jerry said. Matthews at OLT Robinson at ORG and Jake Long at ORT. Now that is an instantly upgraded OLine. Resign Saffold and then Fisher can run on ANYONE.
More like Larry Allen who only started two years at a Division II college, Walter Jones who also only started two years in college, or Jason Peters, who was actually a TE in college. Those guys are of the same physical skillset that Robinson has, it's a much better comparison. I've said it before but there is no physical comparison between Smith and Robinson, it's not even close.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
More like Larry Allen who only started two years at a Division II college, Walter Jones who also only started two years in college, or Jason Peters, who was actually a TE in college. Those guys are of the same physical skillset that Robinson has, it's a much better comparison. I've said it before but there is no physical comparison between Smith and Robinson, it's not even close.
I was having a really hard time finding anyone like him, he is bigger than Allen, and Allen was a guard, of course, but brute strength, and good feet, and his ability to absolutely dominate the run game in his conference, known for good defensive lineman. To me, he is a freak. Allen is a good comparison, as far as him destroying guys on the line, unlike I've ever hardly seen. He looks like he'd be a dominant defensive lineman, if he switched sides, he'd collapse the pocket every time. I'm not suggesting he should do that, just that he could.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Jason Smith was a TE coming into college and had quick feet and supposedly was a good run and pass blocker. Thing is he was in a spread, so didnt have to hold blocks long, and also was relatively new to the position. His comparison is just as fair as the Larry Allen one since nobody has seen Robinson in the NFL yet. And you ignored the rest of what I said btw.

jjab360

Legend
Jason Smith was a TE coming into college and had quick feet and supposedly was a good run and pass blocker. Thing is he was in a spread, so didnt have to hold blocks long, and also was relatively new to the position. His comparison is just as fair as the Larry Allen one since nobody has seen Robinson in the NFL yet. And you ignored the rest of what I said btw.
Larry Allen: 6-3, 325 lbs, 4.85 40
Walter Jones: 6-5, 325 lbs, 4.70 40
Jason Peters: 6-5, 328 lbs, 4.93 40
Greg Robinson: 6-5, 332 lbs, 4.92 40
Jason Smith: 6-5, 309 lbs, 5.09 40

The first four guys are all in the same class of athletes, massive guys who are light on their feet and able to translate initial quickness into massive power. You have these guys at the top of the athletic foodchain and then somewhere along the road you have guys like Jason Smith who, sure, are quick and fast for their size when compared to the average college football player, but when put beside the first four guys, it's not even a comparison worth mentioning. As athletes, it's as ridiculous as comparing Glenn Dorsey to Dontari Poe or Roy Williams to Calvin Johnson.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
No doubt Robinson would do amazing things for the run game. I also believe that Yankey or the OG from UCLA can be very good OG as well. Is it really worth taking an OG with a top 10 pick? I don't think so.

The rams are paying Long big bucks. Saffold will probably cost 5-7 million to keep. Now the dilemma is at RT. Joe becomes a FA after the season. With two OL already (assuming Saffold stays) eating away at the cap, do the rams pony up the cash for Joe as well?

If I were to guess, I would say the rams will trade down 2-4 spots where either Robinson or Mathews may still be available. Draft one of the OL mentioned above and start him at LG with idea of moving Long to RT in 2015 and one of the rookies to take over at LT. Barksdale will end up getting at least 4 million if he has a solid season in 2014. Doubt the rams will have the cap space to pay a 3rd OL 4+ million.

Im happy with the rams selecting Robinson/Mathews but only after trading down and using it to fill other holes on the roster. Rams need immediate help on the OL in 2014 and 2015

I'd be good with Robinson AND one of them OG's, actually. We'd be the new Niners in the running department. No, we'll be better!!!

If we don't get Watkins then we shouldn't draft a WR.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
On the NFL site, it says 5.22 40, with 24" vert and 96" broad jump. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jason-smith?id=71471
Greg Robinson: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/greg-robinson?id=2543458 4.92, 28 1/2 vert, and an amazing 113" broad jump.

Besides all that, because Lewan even tested better, it's the tape that impresses me, and the competition he went against every game in his conference.

In Jason Smith's defense, try to find one scouting report that said he was going to be a bust, but I didn't like his tape. In that draft I had Monroe rated over him. I read scouting reports that said he'd be a 10 year player, an All Pro by his second year, etc. It's not an exact science, or nobody would ever miss. I can see no comparison between Robinson, and Smith. Not just now, but when I watched both players prior to the draft.

jjab360

Legend
On the NFL site, it says 5.22 40, with 24" vert and 96" broad jump. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jason-smith?id=71471
Greg Robinson: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/greg-robinson?id=2543458 4.92, 28 1/2 vert, and an amazing 113" broad jump.

Besides all that, because Lewan even tested better, it's the tape that impresses me, and the competition he went against every game in his conference.

In Jason Smith's defense, try to find one scouting report that said he was going to be a bust, but I didn't like his tape. In that draft I had Monroe rated over him. I read scouting reports that said he'd be a 10 year player, an All Pro by his second year, etc. It's not an exact science, or nobody would ever miss. I can see no comparison between Robinson, and Smith. Not just now, but when I watched both players prior to the draft.
It's not even that Robinson's numbers are way more impressive, it's that Robinson's numbers are way more impressive despite having 30 pounds on the guy. That's why I don't think Lewan tested better, either. If two WRs run a 4.3 but one guy weighs in at 200 lbs, and the other guy at 230 lbs, can you honestly say that the smaller WR was more impressive? No way.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hate the idea of picking someone because of their potential upside whatever the heck that is, and who knows who might have more of it than another player?????o_Oo_O Especially if there is another player that all of these same experts agree is more ready to play in the league right now and will likely be probowl material for at least the next 10 years.

Matthews > Robinson right now by all accounts and no one this side of God knows who will be better over their career.

jjab360

Legend
I hate the idea of picking someone because of their potential upside whatever the heck that is, and who knows who might have more of it than another player?????o_Oo_O Especially if there is another player that all of these same experts agree is more ready to play in the league right now and will likely be probowl material for at least the next 10 years.

Matthews > Robinson right now by all accounts and no one this side of God knows who will be better over their career.
Projection is a part of any talent evaluator's job. Every draft pick is a gamble, and if you're confident enough in your evaluation, why not go for the jackpot? If you're not confident in your ability to project a player's skillset into the next level, then you probably won't be working in the NFL for very long.