Greg Robinson - Rams Top Pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
As much as I like Jedeavon Clowney and Sammy Watkins I am really hoping the Rams select Greg Robinson with their top pick (Preferably, with a slight trade down!)! This player could end up being Sam Bradford's and Zac Stacy's new best friend! And, I have to admit that it is a close call between him and Watkins but this Draft seems to be very deep with WR's so the Rams should be able to get a quality WR with their 13th pick or even later in the Draft.

Attachments

• Greg-Robinson-Auburn-Derick-E.Hingle.jpg
    Greg-Robinson-Auburn-Derick-E.Hingle.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 360

MFaulk107

The Realness
I also hope we take Robinson first, with some sort of a trade down(all though I'd settle for Mathews). It's really what we need.

jjab360

Legend
I really want to come away with one of either Robinson or Clowney from this draft. Clear cut two best players in the draft, imo.

Ram_of_Old

Maybe a Cleveland trade would do that. But I doubt Robinson makes it past the 8th pick.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I don't think Robinson is in anyway one of the 2 clear cut best players. He is not ready to play LT in the NFL right now with his foot work and pass blocking. He needs improvement before he is ready to start. That is why he was ranked 5 or 6 for most the season until he caught fire at the end of the season and into the bowl season. I am personally not in favor of Robinson at 2, Yes he is talented but to draft that high to play G until he is ready to play LT would be the highest a G has ever gone in the draft. Matthews to me is a better fit for the immediate future

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
I don't think Robinson is in anyway one of the 2 clear cut best players. He is not ready to play LT in the NFL right now with his foot work and pass blocking. He needs improvement before he is ready to start. That is why he was ranked 5 or 6 for most the season until he caught fire at the end of the season and into the bowl season. I am personally not in favor of Robinson at 2, Yes he is talented but to draft that high to play G until he is ready to play LT would be the highest a G has ever gone in the draft. Matthews to me is a better fit for the immediate future
If you look at it as far as just next year or the immediate future, then no, you probably wouldn't have Robinson as one of the 2 best players. That's not how I look at it, though.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Robinson certainly is an exciting prospect. Just watch the Auburn Missouri game.

I expect some sort of trade down by Snead. But I also expect them to have their guy that they are targeting.

It all comes down to how Snead assesses the draft unfolding. He's seems to be really good at that.

If he believes that the 3 QBs are gonna go in the first 5 picks, then there's a high probability that Robinson will be there at #6.

jap

Legend
Robinson has the quick feet already. What he needs is the footwork and pass protection discipline, and we have arguably the best OL guru in the industry in Coach Bou. How many times have we seen Coach Bou take marginal NFL OL players whose careers were languishing and turned them into serviceable NFL players? I always hoped Coach Bou was for once given a player with (near) blue-chip talent to mold, and he gets that in either Robinson or Matthews.

Like his old man, Jake Matthews can play any OL position and is the most NFL ready player. However, Greg Robinson has arguably the highest ceiling of them all. Right now he can step in and be a devastating road grader at guard, while taking notes on tackle pass protection techniques from Coach Bou and Big Bad Jake Long. Matthews may not be the road grader that Greg is, but he will get the job done with techniques acquired from his old man and further refined with Coach Bou & Jake Long.

I am still hoping Fish and Kevin convince Beetlejuice to return with a contract beneficial to both parties. Like Bonifay and others pointed out earlier, with Greg chosen, our OL could look like this:

RT: Joe
RG: Beetlejuice
C: Tim Barnes/Barrett Jones
LG: Greg Robinson
LT: Jake

With Jake Matthews as the high pick, our roster could be:

RT: Jake
C: Tim Barnes|Barrett Jones
LG: Barrett Jones|?
LT: Jake Matthews

We have a QB who threw for 8,403 yards at a 67.6% clip for 88 TD's vs 16 INT's behind a dominant offensive line at Oklahoma. he has yet to enjoy that type of OL dominance at the pro level. If the Rams are serious about a 2014 playoff push (and I seriously think they are!), they will want to get him that dominant OL. That's why Beetlejuice is their #1 FA consideration.

Furthermore, it's very possible we can obtain either Jake Matthews or Greg at a pick lower than the #2 overall pick while picking up other picks.

While having the proverbial #1 WR is always nice, Sam seems like the type of player who can win with #2|#3 WR's. He sprayed the ball around to the receivers he can trust at the collegiate level and tends to do the even now. Besides, we can probably add a solid receiver in this draft as well.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If you look at it as far as just next year or the immediate future, then no, you probably wouldn't have Robinson as one of the 2 best players. That's not how I look at it, though.

He may never be good against speed rushers. They only get faster in the NFL. Dude needs to lose about 15 pounds.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Robinson has the quick feet already. What he needs is the footwork and pass protection discipline, and we have arguably the best OL guru in the industry in Coach Bou.How many times have we seen Coach Bout take marginal NFL OL players whose careers were languishing and turned them into serviceable NFL players? I always hoped Coach Bou was for once given a player with (near) blue-chip talent to mold, and he gets that in either Robinson or Matthews.

Like his old man, Jake Matthews can play any OL position and is the most NFL ready player. However, Greg Robinson has arguably the highest ceiling of them all. Right now he can step in and be a devastating road grader at guard, while taking notes on tackle pass protection techniques from Coach Bou and Big Bad Jake Long. Matthews may not be the road grader that Greg is, but he will get the job done with techniques acquired from his old man and further refined with Coach Bou & Jake Long.

I am still hoping Fish and Kevin convince Beetlejuice to return with a contract beneficial to both parties. Like Bonifay and others pointed out earlier, with Greg chosen, our OL could look like this:

We have a QB who threw for 8,403 yards at a 67.6% clip for 88 TD's vs 16 INT's behind a dominant offensive line at Oklahoma. he has yet to enjoy that type of OL dominance at the pro level. If the Rams are serious about a 2014 playoff push (and I seriously think they are!), they will want to get him that dominant OL. That's why Beetlejuice is their #1 FA consideration.

Furthermore, it's very possible we can obtain either Jake Matthews or Greg at a pick lower than the #2 overall pick while picking up other picks.

While having the proverbial #1 WR is always nice, Sam seems like the type of player who can win with #2|#3 WR's. He sprayed the ball around to the receivers he can trust at the collegiate level and tends to do the even now. Besides, we can probably add a solid receiver in this draft as well.

Very solid write up. I agree on every one of your points

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Robinson has the quick feet already. What he needs is the footwork and pass protection discipline, and we have arguably the best OL guru in the industry in Coach Bou.How many times have we seen Coach Bout take marginal NFL OL players whose careers were languishing and turned them into serviceable NFL players? I always hoped Coach Bou was for once given a player with (near) blue-chip talent to mold, and he gets that in either Robinson or Matthews.

I like the second line over the first, I am in complete agreement like I stated in the post above. Robinson needs better footwork and better pass protection skills. We need LT protection for Sam NOW. Matthews provides that, so maybe he may not make 5 straight pro bowls. I think he will be a top 5 LT that doesn't give up many sacks and whose name is only mentioned at game introductions and contract years otherwise the consummate Pro. The bloodlines mean something, especially in that family. Jake will be light years ahead in maturity and don't be mistaken he did quite well at the combine himself, he is no slouch as an athlete.

jjab360

Legend
He may never be good against speed rushers. They only get faster in the NFL. Dude needs to lose about 15 pounds.
Robinson's problems in pass protection come from a lack of experience. He has it all as far as his physical skillset goes, including quick feet, therefore there's no reason for him to lose weight.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Drafting an interior OL'man in the top ten isso last year. There were actually 2 guys worthy of those high picks. Not to mention he's not even polished. ----------------

He's a T... no wait, he's not ready to play T. Lets just stick him at LG after we pick him 4th overall... fail proof. *BLUE FONT*!!!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Robinson's problems in pass protection come from a lack of experience. He has it all as far as his physical skillset goes, including quick feet, therefore there's no reason for him to lose weight.

Mathews is polished.

Let's just get Watkins and not put him in the slot. Ever Since Saffold moved to G everyone's been hell bent on using T's as G's. It's so lame...

jap

Legend
OK... I don't get the Beetlejuice thing...

In the movie, Beetlejuice, the title character (played by actor Michael Keaton) attempted to trick an African witch doctor near the end of the movie. For his evil effort, the witch doctor sprinkled some exotic dust over his head which caused Beetlejuice's head to shrink. The joke is that Rodger Saffold has bulked himself up so much now in the weight room to over 330 pounds that his head appears "shrunken" with respect to his massive shoulders---much like the shrunken head of the Beetlejuice character.

A55VA6

Legend
I'd be okay with Robinson, but I think he needs to start to playing Guard. Dude is a beast run blocker. Zac Stacy would love him for sure.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I'd be okay with Robinson, but I think he needs to start to playing Guard. Dude is a beast run blocker. Zac Stacy would love him for sure.

No doubt Robinson would do amazing things for the run game. I also believe that Yankey or the OG from UCLA can be very good OG as well. Is it really worth taking an OG with a top 10 pick? I don't think so.

The rams are paying Long big bucks. Saffold will probably cost 5-7 million to keep. Now the dilemma is at RT. Joe becomes a FA after the season. With two OL already (assuming Saffold stays) eating away at the cap, do the rams pony up the cash for Joe as well?

If I were to guess, I would say the rams will trade down 2-4 spots where either Robinson or Mathews may still be available. Draft one of the OL mentioned above and start him at LG with idea of moving Long to RT in 2015 and one of the rookies to take over at LT. Barksdale will end up getting at least 4 million if he has a solid season in 2014. Doubt the rams will have the cap space to pay a 3rd OL 4+ million.

Im happy with the rams selecting Robinson/Mathews but only after trading down and using it to fill other holes on the roster. Rams need immediate help on the OL in 2014 and 2015