Greg Robinson on the bench to start the season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
Wow guys. Not digging this AT ALL.
Why? It's the truth. Not saying they're bad players or people. Some people can handle football. Others can't. That doesn't make them any less of a person. Knowing who is fragile allows the team to better plan for the future.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Always fun to see people whine about draft picks before their rookie year has even begun. The Rams didn't pick your guy...oh well. You can still support the guys they picked...even if they aren't developing as quickly as your arbitrary/ridiculous schedule demands.

Greg Robinson may not have been my guy but I support him. And I believe in him. If he's not starting, the Rams have good reason for that. His career is not over if he doesn't start week 1. Guy has plenty of time to develop into a studly player. People forget that this is how it used to be done. You used to take time to develop players. But every year, people complain when a rookie doesn't get thrown in the line-up quickly enough or they complain when he gets thrown in the line-up too quickly and struggles. It's a lose-lose with fans.

THEY'RE ROOKIES, BE PATIENT.

/rant :LOL:

Athos

Legend
Would have preferred him learning just one position to start.

But I too, would prolly trade Robinson for Bortles straight up now.

iced

It's also a different animal when discussing a team making a selection that high whose record didn't reflect such a selection. Better team / more talented team. BPA also comes into play. And sometimes the BPA doesn't play a position with an immediate need.

In the end, chances are that if the Rams hadn't acquired former Pro Bowler Davin Joseph, then Robinson would have been in the starting lineup ready or not. Would that have made him any better selection? Hardly.

That's pure speculation at it's best - and it's not like Joseph was some stud Free agent last season either. He played horrible last year..

But the point is you measure it based on the other guys around him at that pick - and there were several other players that would be in the lineup opening day..that aren't projects..

Robinson looks to be the only one drafted in the top 10 that doesn't have a previous starter to compete with that will not start week 1.

Like I said, this was a reason I wasn't on board with the pick when it was made.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I still think they drafted the best OL and DL available.When theyve played twenty or thirty games I guess we will know. Until than it's a little soon to be critical of the 2014 draft.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I still think they drafted the best OL and DL available.When theyve played twenty or thirty games I guess we will know. Until than it's a little soon to be critical of the 2014 draft.
Sane post. Well done.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Now we are playing for keeps. If he isn't ready then he sits. I'm okay with him sitting until coaching staff is convinced he's ready to go.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's pure speculation at it's best - and it's not like Joseph was some stud Free agent last season either. He played horrible last year..

But the point is you measure it based on the other guys around him at that pick - and there were several other players that would be in the lineup opening day..that aren't projects..

Robinson looks to be the only one drafted in the top 10 that doesn't have a previous starter to compete with that will not start week 1.

Like I said, this was a reason I wasn't on board with the pick when it was made.

Pure speculation? Perhaps? But it's no more speculation than your belief that Sammy Watkins would have learned the Rams offense and be starting over veterans Quick and Britt this soon now is it? Pure speculation at best.

And you don't measure selections prior to the season starting and versus, again, guys in entirely different circumstances. Or at least one shouldn't as that's makes little sense. If the Rams would have drafted Clowney, would he have been starting? No. Would that have made him a lesser player? No.

BTW, who do you think would be starting at guard if the Rams didn't bring in Joseph and/or he was still struggling in his comeback attempt from that prior season's injury?

Last edited:

cracengl

Rookie
I'm just glad we have 5 veterans that are playing better than our rookie who has 4 preseason games over 2 positions of experience. That wouldn't have been the case a few years ago. If Greg gets time to learn without being rushed and the line doesn't suffer because of it, that's fine. But I fully agree with the rest of you who have pointed out that the health of the others makes him pretty likely to see a lot of action regardless.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
6large.jpg

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
season hasn't started and ppl are already trashing Robinson for not mastering 2 positions his first offseason and the thought of trading him with our injury history and lack of solid depth just floors me. And then a shot at Fisher entering only his 3rd season now without his starting QB. some real short term memories going on around here on how bad we were just 3 years ago. and ppl better stop abusing the inappropriate button it's not a damn dislike button

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but even the "mighty Quinn" didn't break in as a "starter" in fact he was inactive (100% healthy) opening week at the ED vs Philly. (the year of the Cadillac Williams utter debacle)

We should be singing praises that we have enough talent NOT to rush him at this point.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hope it means Davin Joseph will stay healthy throughout the season while Robinson spends the season learning pass protection at LT.

Philly5

Rookie
Hope he starts at guard. Not the end of the world, but not a good thing if we used pick 2 on a bench guy.

Jake Matthews after a slight trade down would look nice

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Robinson was drafted as a LT. The Rams have a LT for 2014, in Jake Long. Your premise is wrong.

Between moving him to LG for the season only, giving him a bunch of reps at LT still, AND signing a former pro bowl OG who looks to finally be healthy again, the Rams MAY not start Robinson in game 1.

Don't panic.