Greg Robinson on the bench to start the season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
How is saying Calvin Johnson doesn't start but if he's on the field for at least 40% of the snaps even remotely the same thing if Robinson sits on the bench the whole game?

Someone asked when was the last time a #2 overall pick didn't start. It was answered. And I again referenced my Stephen Hill/ Brian Quick example and remind you that this draft class is not just for this season. IMO, it's wonderful that the team doesn't have to force Robinson into the starting lineup this early. Why is that a bad thing? Many rookies in starting lineups all over the league have no business being there, but have to be by lack of other alternatives.

Robinson possibly sitting due to depth is not different than the rookie QBs who sit initially because a better alternative is available.

you were trying to make it sound like watkins wouldn't pose a threat here - yet the team got rid of a receiver who has been consistently better than what we had...speaks for itself

I'm not saying that Watkins wouldn't pose a threat here. I'm saying and have said that it's not a lock that he would have learned the offense and be starting over Quick and Britt this season. Buffalo is an entirely different team and their roster moves have absolutely nothing to do what would or could happen with the Rams. Why is that so hard to understand? Hell, the Raiders cut our starting RT for goodness sakes.

Last edited:

iced

Someone asked when was the last time a #2 overall pick didn't start. It was answered. And I again referenced my Stephen Hill/ Brian Quick example and remind you that this draft class is not just for this season.

I disagree - there's a difference between "not starting" and seeing still snaps vs "not starting" and riding the bench the whole game

I'm not saying that Watkins wouldn't pose a threat here. I'm saying and have said that it's not a lock that he would have learned the offense and be starting over Quick and Britt this season. Buffalo is an entirely different team and their roster moves have absolutely nothing to do what would or could happen with the Rams. Why is that so hard to understand? Hell, the Raiders cut our starting RT for goodness sakes.

Lol I don't think Watkins would have be behind them in any capacity, especially when you look at both of Britt's and Quick's past season...And so far, Quick has had a consistent rep of being a training camp monster but nothing on game day.. And don't get me wrong,I am stoked about quick this year - but that doesn't leave me to believe that watkins wouldn't be starting here... a team doesn't give up what buffalo did and then deal their veteran starter if they don't think he had the talent to play day 1 (which btw, fisher did say robinson take time, which is one reason why i didn't like the pick even after he said that pre-draft)...

I believe in impact players at the top, not projects based on athletic talent. That's why Quick went in the 2nd round and not in the first (and a lot think he was a reach as it is )..if he had the whole package with his measurables, he'd have gone higher (put watkins in his frame and he's probably a top 10 pick as well)

And I will continue to repeat this since watkins is the only name people like to remember - I also said many times I wanted Jake Matthews over Rob if we went o-line, and Watkins 1a for receiver with Evans as a 1b...And yea, I believe Matthews would be playing guard week 1 if he were drafted by us

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
you were trying to make it sound like watkins wouldn't pose a threat here - yet the team got rid of a receiver who has been consistently better than what we had...speaks for itself

Stevie Johnson - coming off an injury and a season that saw him gain half the yards he did the year before? THAT consistently better receiver? You really think that Watkins simply displaced him? I must have missed their extreme depth at the position. Could it be that they moved up because they knew a bit more about Stevie Johnson than any of us?

I decided to see how Johnson is fairing in Whiner land.

5 NFL players that could be released by Saturday
I thought it would be fun to compile a list of guys who could be released by their teams. These guys I feel are getting passed in their depth charts and I could see their teams cutting ties with them. Steve Johnson – We
said it yesterday, the 49ers are not getting what they were […] The post 5 NFL players that could be released by Saturday appeared first on NFL Draft Diamonds.

New to the San Francisco 49ers this season, wide receiver Stevie Johnson admitted that a disconnect exists between he and quarterback Colin Kaepernick, which the former Buffalo Bills player attributes to his own “unorthodox style“. Word out of Bay Area: @StevieJohnson13's unorthodox style is throwing off chemistry with @Kaepernick7. http://t.co/WDxY5JRCHy — Patrick Crawley...

I don't know much about Johnson but it doesn't look like he is impressing many in the Bay area.

iced

Stevie Johnson - coming off an injury and a season that saw him gain half the yards he did the year before? THAT consistently better receiver? You really think that Watkins simply displaced him? I must have missed their extreme depth at the position. Could it be that they moved up because they knew a bit more about Stevie Johnson than any of us?

I decided to see how Johnson is fairing in Whiner land.

5 NFL players that could be released by Saturday
I thought it would be fun to compile a list of guys who could be released by their teams. These guys I feel are getting passed in their depth charts and I could see their teams cutting ties with them. Steve Johnson – We
said it yesterday, the 49ers are not getting what they were […] The post 5 NFL players that could be released by Saturday appeared first on NFL Draft Diamonds.

New to the San Francisco 49ers this season, wide receiver Stevie Johnson admitted that a disconnect exists between he and quarterback Colin Kaepernick, which the former Buffalo Bills player attributes to his own “unorthodox style“. Word out of Bay Area: @StevieJohnson13's unorthodox style is throwing off chemistry with @Kaepernick7. http://t.co/WDxY5JRCHy — Patrick Crawley...

I don't know much about Johnson but it doesn't look like he is impressing many in the Bay area.

Stevie Johnson in 3 straight seasons put up 1,000 yards. 2010,2011,2012...

Only Rams receivers that have broken 700 yards since 2007 was Torry Holt and Brandon Lloyd - yes I'd say he's better than the corps he was being compared too

Memphis Ram

Legend
I know iced.

Sammy Watkins is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Despite his college limitations, he would have picked up Schottenhiemer's offense just like that, always been in the right place on his routes, and no improvement/connection/experience of the players on hand would have been able to keep him out of the starting lineup as he began his future Hall of Fame career.

You can discount a QB not starting or having playing time due to a better, more experienced, alternative player on the roster, but not another position player? Again, I guess Clowney, if selected, would probably even be a disappointment for not beating out Long and Quinn.

I believe in impact players at the top, too. However, I don't believe that they all have to start immediately if there are better alternatives on the roster given the that draft is not JUST FOR THAT SEASON. And that isn't the case for all teams dependent upon the selection (BPA vs.need). Especially for teams WHOSE ACTUAL RECORD, not talent level, provided them with the top 5 selection in the first place.

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
People forget Orlando Pace only started 9 games as a rookie. Granted, he missed training camp, but he was also more pro-ready coming out of college.

Give the man some time.

Jackie Slater didn't become a full time starter till year 3. Seeing Robinson push DTs & DEs around like hay bails and LBs like pillows will be a lot of fun for the next 15 years. IF the Rams develop into a power run team by 2015, Robinson will be a key anchor once he gets acclimated.

iced

I know iced

Sammy Watkins is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Despite his college limitations, he would have picked up Schottenhiemer's offense just like that, always been in the right place on his routes, and no improvement/connection/experience of the players on hand would have been able to keep him out of the starting lineup as he began his future Hall of Fame career.

You know what - my bad.

I forgot Kenny Britt wasn't benched last year half way through the season and replaced by a rookie. I forgot we haven't heard for the past 3 straight years that Quick has been a monster in training camp.. And no body has been saying "Bradford needs more weapons around him" - because that would surely mean we have such highly regarded receivers and no rookie would be able to come in and win a starting job;that position is a lock for us.
You can discount a QB not starting or having playing time due to another alternative player on the roster, but not another position player? Again, I guess Clowney, if selected, would probably even be a disappointment for not beating out Long and Quinn.
Clowney would atleast in on passing downs... Hell atleast Aaron Donald is going to be playing

I believe in impact players at the top, too. However, I don't believe that they all have to start immediately if there are better alternatives on the roster given the that draft is not JUST FOR THAT SEASON. And that typically isn't the case for all teams dependent upon the selection. Especially for teams WHOSE ACTUAL RECORD, not talent level, provided them with the top 5 selection in the first place.

The problem is that there is a better alternative - I would hope my #2 overall pick would atleast be able to start day 1, especially when his competition is a free agent who's had last gametape showed some lack luster play. That's the problem..

-sigh- you're not gonna change my mind on this. Just agree to disagree. Like I said before, him being too raw to start is just one more reason why I didn't like the pick. I'm allowed to have my own opinion right?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Stevie Johnson in 3 straight seasons put up 1,000 yards. 2010,2011,2012...

Only Rams receivers that have broken 700 yards since 2007 was Torry Holt and Brandon Lloyd - yes I'd say he's better than the corps he was being compared too
And you think the Bills gave that up because they KNEW a rookie would be better than that and they had way too many 1,000 yard receivers anyway? Really? Cuz that makes perfect sense. Who gives up a sure fire 1,000 yard receiver for a 4th round pick because they drafted another receiver? There is something missing in the whole Stevie equation. You also think the Whiners are considering cutting such a fine talent? Something is just not right there.

iced

And you think the Bills gave that up because they KNEW a rookie would be better than that and they had way too many 1,000 yard receivers anyway? Really? Cuz that makes perfect sense. Who gives up a sure fire 1,000 yard receiver for a 4th round pick because they drafted another receiver? There is something missing in the whole Stevie equation. You also think the Whiners are considering cutting such a fine talent? Something is just not right there.

It's actually a 4th that can become a 3rd - i'd say that's actually a lot for a 28 year old receiver.

We gave up less for Brandon Lloyd.

and the bills also got mike williams for a 6th rounder

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's actually a 4th that can become a 3rd - i'd say that's actually a lot for a 28 year old receiver.

We gave up less for Brandon Lloyd
And he is doing what in Whiner land? At this point, he is actually behind Lloyd on the depth chart. How many teams get rid of a sure fire 1,000 receiver for no reason? Anyone?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah iced we aren't going to change each others mind.

Kenny Britt's career is sunk based upon everything that has happened in the past. His quality training camp was a mirage and should automatically be discounted. No such thing as a player coming back and getting his career on track once things have gone south. The comeback player of the year award doesn't really exist. And Brian Quick can't be any better. Players don't improve. What you see from day one is what you get.

BTW, just for the record. I never said that Watkins couldn't have come here and been an immediate starter. My point was that such an outcome wasn't the lock you seem to believe it to be and that what happens elsewhere has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what happens at Rams Park.

You are allowed to have your own opinion, just as I am allowed to have mine.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So I actually went and read that article. All it was was over-speculation over a couple tweets and selected quotes.

It means nothing. Even if he doesn't start or play this Sunday.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So I actually went and read that article. All it was was over-speculation over a couple tweets and selected quotes.

It means nothing. Even if he doesn't start or play this Sunday.
That's what I was talking about earlier. All this and I don't recall Fish EVER saying that G-Rob wasn't going to play week one.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Coaches and GM's don't always agree on talent or the time frame which they should be starting, how can we expect to with a whole lot more people involved. At work where I am usually teamed with anywhere from 3-10 or more guys we can't even agree on where to go for lunch. It is not outlandish to be a little disappointed about the starter situation from this past years draft. We are a sub 500 team for a decade and people are ready to win now it doesn't always come down to black and white when OPINIONS are involved. I believe in our coach and front office and it is certainly to early to worry about the 2014 draft classes long term effect on the team. Due I wish that GRob soaked up the position either LT or LG and unseated any comer by sheer ability and play well of course but so be it we have a monster in waiting on the bench and I won't be terribly surprised if he came in and played on short yardage situations due to his well documented run blocking abilities. Yes a little unorthodox but you never no.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Coaches and GM's don't always agree on talent or the time frame which they should be starting, how can we expect to with a whole lot more people involved. At work where I am usually teamed with anywhere from 3-10 or more guys we can't even agree on where to go for lunch. It is not outlandish to be a little disappointed about the starter situation from this past years draft. We are a sub 500 team for a decade and people are ready to win now it doesn't always come down to black and white when OPINIONS are involved. I believe in our coach and front office and it is certainly to early to worry about the 2014 draft classes long term effect on the team. Due I wish that GRob soaked up the position either LT or LG and unseated any comer by sheer ability and play well of course but so be it we have a monster in waiting on the bench and I won't be terribly surprised if he came in and played on short yardage situations due to his well documented run blocking abilities. Yes a little unorthodox but you never no.
Sounds reasonable. What's for lunch?