Goff Trade Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Best trade the rams have made since the faulk trade. Could end up being even better than that trade.

The Sammy Watkins trade wasn't half bad either. Once those two start connecting regularly on the deep balls the sky is the limit for the rams.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What happened to this board?
I dunno we typically spent time coming up with reasons why our poor play was better than the results showed.
Now we are hitting on all cylinders and some feel the need to say we aren’t as good.
Hmmmm.
I don’t remember this board ever being about knocking down our team.

I don't remember that either.

But, what is really sad is that through the euphoria of this season to date (blinders), you cannot see that I haven't knocked down our team or said that the team wasn't as good as others.:ROFLMAO: In this thread alone I've praised the McVay/LaFleur offense, the OLine, and all the weapons and merely pointed out how Goff wasn't the clear difference in the offense's success at this point which apparently is now considered blasphemy here. I also pointed out how circumstances of the opponents can have an affect on outcomes which seemed to be completely ignored. Is that not true?

Hmmm.....o_O

But I get it. It's the way of the world today.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I don't remember that either.

But, what is really sad is that through the euphoria of this season to date (blinders), you cannot see that I haven't knocked down our team or said that the team wasn't as good as others.:ROFLMAO: In this thread alone I've praised the McVay/LaFleur offense, the OLine, and all the weapons and merely pointed out how Goff wasn't the clear difference in the offense's success at this point which apparently is now considered blasphemy here. I also pointed out how circumstances of the opponents can have an affect on outcomes which seemed to be completely ignored. Is that not true?

Hmmm.....o_O

But I get it. It's the way of the world today.

It’s football. There are circumstances every week that affect every team positively and negatively over the course of the season. In 5 of Wentz’s games the opposing team was missing their top player in the secondary. Anyone harping on that? Of course not because at the end of the day Wentz is still a great player. All the things you point out regarding why Goff is playing well is true but at the end of the day anyone who knows football can see that Goff is also going to be a great player.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So the first thing I will say is I wanted Wentz and still think he is the better QB but I will also eat crow and say it isn't by much. McVay is incredible and has done a great job in every aspect for our boys.

But that is not the theme of this thread.
At the time we traded up there were many who said we made a terrible trade and gave up so much. At the time of the trade, forget about who we would take, I thought it was a great move as we would never have been able to get a franchise QB if we stood pat, not withstanding a Dak type of hit along the way.
Yes we gave up a lot but I thought it was the only way for us to get that guy no matter who we took.

I'm curious if there are still many out there who think the trade up was a bad move and that we gave up way too much?

Would you do it all over again or do you think we should have taken the players and looked for a QB elsewhere?

When you don't have to move up because you were bad enough to get the top pick, You normally don't have much to put around your franchise quarterback in the early years. LA and Philly weren't bad enough for that pick so they traded up. They were in a position to give their QB's the support they need. In the Rams case they didn't have support with coaching but they had some talent, especially on defense. But they rectified that in year two.

As far as Goff vs Wentz, it depends on what you want in your quarterback. I believe Goff is the better passer while Wentz has more athletic ability. So you build your offense around your quarterback's strength. The Rams went out and improved the blocking and installed a system that can maximize Goff's strengths.

Who turns out to be the better QB when its all said and done is anyone's guess right now. But it sure looks like both teams and their fans are pretty happy with what they got.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This discussion has been going on in Philly on the radio. One host got it right in that he feels Eagle fans do not want to give the Rams props because then that somehow gives Goff some props and that somehow takes away from Wentz in some Eagle fan's minds.

I agree with that and I see that in some sense here. You can like Wentz and still give Goff credit for having a very good season for a 2nd year QB. I don't think anyone here is saying he is Brady or Rogers or even Wentz, but he has been a big part of this team's success just from the stand point of being efficient, making enough big plays, and limiting turnovers.

Then to put that into the context of him being one of the youngest starting QBs, who was poorly coached last year, and now responding to a much better environment and coaching this year.

So I still don't get the back handed compliments regarding Goff and the constant comparing to Wentz in terms of using that to knock Goff.

Wentz is two years older, so a little more mature, he has 9 more NFL games under his belt, and is in the same offense for almost two years now.

So let Goff be Goff and on his own schedule. I am sure he will have some rough moments here and there... it happens. Heck, vets like Rivers, Manning, Stafford, Newton, and even Brady have their rough games and certainly a 2nd year QB will as well. Of course as soon as that happens I am sure we will get the agenda driven threads popping up here to make their points. I mean if this discussion rages on at 6-2 with the highest scoring offense in the league, then I hate to think what happens after he throws in a crappy game. Yikes!!

Memphis Ram

Legend
It’s football. There are circumstances every week that affect every team positively and negatively over the course of the season. In 5 of Wentz’s games the opposing team was missing their top player in the secondary. Anyone harping on that? Of course not because at the end of the day Wentz is still a great player. All the things you point out regarding why Goff is playing well is true but at the end of the day anyone who knows football can see that Goff is also going to be a great player.

Why would anyone harp on Wentz? Wentz has absolutely nothing to do with discussion on my part as I've never even mentioned him. And IMO, anyone who knows football will tell you that it's too early to say how Goff is going to turn out. We can hope for the best, but it's not a lock either way.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But, Wentz has absolutely nothing to do with discussion on my part as I've never even mentioned him. And IMO, anyone who knows football will tell you that it's too early to say how Goff is going to turn out. We can hope for the best, but it's not a lock either way.

There are a lot of people who know football here and elsewhere who don't feel the way you do.

nighttrain

Legend
But, Wentz has absolutely nothing to do with discussion on my part as I've never even mentioned him. And IMO, anyone who knows football will tell you that it's too early to say how Goff is going to turn out. We can hope for the best, but it's not a lock either way.
wow, i know a bit, been watching the Rams since frank Ryan was slingin it, and Jon Arnett was the toast of town, Goff is lookin like the real deal and that;s a for sure. He could get hit by a plane tomorrow and never play again, but he sure is off to an amazing start to his career
train

Memphis Ram

Legend
There are a lot of people who know football here and elsewhere who don't feel the way you do.

And they can be wrong just as I can be wrong. We are all human. Please take no offense, but I remember even you touting Bortles and Bridgewater a few years back. And I'm still waiting for them to do something and/or turn out as good as you were projecting at the time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And they can be wrong just as I can be wrong. We are all human. Please take no offense, but I remember even you touting Bortles and Bridgewater a few years back. And I'm still waiting for them to do something and/or turn out as good as you were projecting at the time.

Bortles hasn't panned out like I hoped. Although, he's been playing better football under a new coaching staff, is on pace for a solid year, and the Jaguars are on pace to make the playoffs. Bridgewater hasn't played a down due to a near-career ending injury. I'm not really sure what we're supposed to glean from that. Yea, we're all aware that Goff can get seriously injured playing this game.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Bortles hasn't panned out like I hoped. Although, he's been playing better football under a new coaching staff, is on pace for a solid year, and the Jaguars are on pace to make the playoffs. Bridgewater hasn't played a down due to a near-career ending injury. I'm not really sure what we're supposed to glean from that. Yea, we're all aware that Goff can get seriously injured playing this game.

Bridgewater hasn't played a down since his near-career ending injury. But, he played a couple years prior to the injury and didn't look as good as you were touting before. Just average at best. Maybe he lights it up some this year. I'm rooting for him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BridTe00.htm

I dunno, his stats don't look bad for a young QB... 65% comp, 28 TDs, 21 Ints. 87 QB rating in 28 starts.... and his offense was not exactly loaded with skilled talent. Not even sure he played much with Peterson due to his suspension.

Again, kind of puts Goff into perspective for this year because Bridgwater was generally considered a promising ascending young QB when he got hurt.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm

BTW, Pro football Reference is a great site. Kind of adds even more perspective when looking at other QBs and their stats early in their careers.

Looking at Brady for example, Goff is on pace to exceed Brady's numbers in Brady's 3rd year, 2nd as a starter. So that is even a much older Brady because he came out as a senior (possibly a 5th yr senior not sure)... Anyway, just saying this kind of adds some context to what were seeing now. Granted rules today help the passing game even more today then they did 15 years ago, but not a dramatic difference. Not like it was back in the 70's and early 80's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bridgewater hasn't played a down since his near-career ending injury. But, he played a couple years prior to the injury and didn't look as good as you were touting before. Just average at best. Maybe he lights it up some this year. I'm rooting for him.

Yea, he played two years. He had a successful rookie season and a solid second season. In his second season, Bridgewater put up solid numbers, his team went 11-5, and he made the Pro Bowl. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. He was a young QB who looked good prior to that injury. Many people believed he was going to have a breakout third season after his stellar preseason play that year

Hell, Teddy's numbers over his first two years aren't that different than Matt Ryan's. Ryan had a little more volume. Teddy had a little more efficiency. I'm not sure why you expected him to be an elite QB at such a young age. That's very rare. It makes what Goff and Wentz are doing this year all the more impressive.

I'm looking forward to seeing Teddy play again. Although, people will have to be patient because 1.5 years is a long time to go without playing football.

TexasRam

Legend
In Brady’s first 6 years he averaged:

26 TD
13 INT

First 6 years people. For the “GOAT”.

Goff is on pace for 26 and 8 in his first
Full season. Let it sink in.

Brady without Gronk averages 17 ppg.
Goff is averaging 32.

So yea, we have reason to be positive about Goff. Geez.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

26 TD
13 INT

Goff is averaging 32.

Shhhhhhhhhhh that doesn't fit the narrative!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yea, he played two years. He had a successful rookie season and a solid second season. In his second season, Bridgewater put up solid numbers, his team went 11-5, and he made the Pro Bowl. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. He was a young QB who looked good prior to that injury. Many people believed he was going to have a breakout third season after his stellar preseason play that year

Hell, Teddy's numbers over his first two years aren't that different than Matt Ryan's. Ryan had a little more volume. Teddy had a little more efficiency. I'm not sure why you expected him to be an elite QB at such a young age. That's very rare. It makes what Goff and Wentz are doing this year all the more impressive.

I'm looking forward to seeing Teddy play again. Although, people will have to be patient because 1.5 years is a long time to go without playing football.

Sorry, but I don't recall his pre-injury preseason play being much different than what he did in prior preseasons. But, I do recall some were questioning if he were the answer at the position as he had thus far proven only to be a game manager as the Vikings top rated defense & rushing attack carried the team to that 11-5 record. C'mon, the popularity contest, Pro Bowl injury replacement, threw 14 TDs vs. 9 INTs that sophomore season. And I do recall how many saw Bradford as clearly the better QB prior to his injury.

And sure, he's still young. And again, I'm rooting for him. I'm just saying the the expectations you presented back then (not mine) when you would have had the Rams select him #2 overall in that draft class hadn't shown up yet. That's all.

Memphis Ram

Legend

26 TD
13 INT

Goff is averaging 32.

Please forgive me if I'm mistaken as I haven't read the entire thread. But, has anyone really said that their isn't a reason to be positive about Goff? Anyone at all?

If not, this brings me back to an original point. It appears that anything that isn't blindly offering praise to the kid here seems to be viewed as bashing him somehow.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
As far as Goff vs Wentz, it depends on what you want in your quarterback. I believe Goff is the better passer while Wentz has more athletic ability. So you build your offense around your quarterback's strength. The Rams went out and improved the blocking and installed a system that can maximize Goff's strengths.

Who turns out to be the better QB when its all said and done is anyone's guess right now. But it sure looks like both teams and their fans are pretty happy with what they got.

Yep, McVay says he adapts system to players, but I don't think Wentz is nearly as suited to the types of things McVay wants to do.