Goff says"Mike Thomas has found a role"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's the only downfield threat with speed other than TA who isn't participating in active drills?
I would guess that Reynolds, Woods....and some other camp bodies COULD do this...but Mike is the most effective....maybe more talent....maybe picking it up quicker. 2nd year is when most wr's start to pop out...and trust me, Mike was popping at practice last year, he just couldn't show it on game day.

I'm still waiting for a Marquez North report...he must can't get healthy...he has excellent speed, body control, and soft hands.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would guess that Reynolds, Woods....and some other camp bodies COULD do this...but Mike is the most effective....maybe more talent....maybe picking it up quicker. 2nd year is when most wr's start to pop out...and trust me, Mike was popping at practice last year, he just couldn't show it on game day.

I'm still waiting for a Marquez North report...he must can't get healthy...he has excellent speed, body control, and soft hands.
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I wonder who was the talk of OTA/Minicamp last year, and if it translated in to them getting a spot on the team.
I like Thomas a lot. I was a huge Cooper supporter (still am but don't have much to go on) but ST is a factor, and Thomas came on last year as gunner. I don't see any way Marquez gets a spot, he offers nothing as a WR
But to your point, lets get the pads on, let these cats get hit and see if they hear footsteps....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I wonder who was the talk of OTA/Minicamp last year, and if it translated in to them getting a spot on the team.
C'mon!?!? You don't remember the Spruuuuuce hype train??? LOLOLOL Probably a bunch of Quick & Britt & Tavon too....and we see where that's going as of 6/2017

Pads...then some preseason games....will tell the tale.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'mon!?!? You don't remember the Spruuuuuce hype train??? LOLOLOL Probably a bunch of Quick & Britt & Tavon too....and we see where that's going as of 6/2017

Pads...then some preseason games....will tell the tale.
I was on the Spruce hype train, but feel like that was after the Dallas game, could be wrong though
I liked Spruce as a prospect, still do. But that was in comparison to the Marquez of the world

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Michael Thomas sure sounds like he has the inside track for that 5th WR position.

It would be great for the Rams if he's overcome that "drops" problem. He would be a welcome deep threat weapon to add to McVay's arsenal. And he's been an outstanding ST player, to boot.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The all star in camp last year to my eye at least was Higbee. Also remember Quick making some impressive plays, and of course Tavon has impressed in every camp it seems. Goff made some beautiful throws too even if he didn't know wtf he was doing with protections. None of them, of course, did squat really come the season.

But since Higbee was a rookie last year I don't hold it against him, and since he's got a top-level TE coach running the team and offense in McVay, things could not be more aligned for him to have a breakout season. Also the fact that the good TEs in this league seem to start showing it in year two means if he's gonna be a difference maker now's the time.

Thomas was wowing everyone on special teams all through camp and what he did translated all season too. As with Higbee I'm not going to hold his rookie season against him in terms of his production, it is what it is and we knew he would need some time plus this entire offense was a damn joke. Under this staff he has a chance to be something because he is not only talented physically but he's also a hard worker. That stuff can get you far in the NFL.

Lastly Tavon needs to translate camp to the season this year. Otherwise he's gone, be it through cut or trade.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
One thing I didnt know(or remember) was that Thomas has a huge arm length(33 3/8) and big hands(10 1/2). I think TA has 28 inch arms. Hell, most players outside of OT dont have arms that long. Hopefully he worked those big ass mitts to the bone to be able to hold onto the damn ball. If Everett has hand 2 inches smaller, but hasnt had issues in college with it. Let hope the Thomas issues was rookie jitters. (crosses fingers).
I noticed something in the OTA photos/video, Thomas needs to place his hands a little closer together, the tip of the ball gets too deep on him still. Catch the tip. Mike, catch the tip, Lol.

One thing that I really like about him, besides his speed, and length, he has great feet, which is what helps him to get separation, consistently.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

North isn't a great route runner tho

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I suspect that Mike Thomas's drops attributed to the fact that Boras complicated our middle school scheme. Hard to concentrate on catches when you're overthinking. We'll see how he performs in the regular season but he looked like a steal in the 6th round to me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Excellent, remember the sandlot days, gentlemen? Go deep Mike, go deep!

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I suspect that Mike Thomas's drops attributed to the fact that Boras complicated our middle school scheme. Hard to concentrate on catches when you're overthinking. We'll see how he performs in the regular season but he looked like a steal in the 6th round to me.
Thomas has had dropped pass issues going back to Southern Miss. I think they are lapses in concentration, similar to some of the issues he had as a returner. Despite that, I think he has the ability to be something special as a receiver. As an outside receiver he gets better separation than anyone else on the roster except possibly Reynolds. We'll see.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
On the other hand, while he perhaps plays faster than his 4.53/40 pro day time on the field, such a statement may also speak to a potential lack of speed at WR from the other main players constantly mentioned.

Great point @Memphis Ram and could be some concern, but they have signed a couple of speed guys as UDRFA's like Shakeir Ryan and Marquez North is a 4.48 guy, so there are receivers in camp that have plenty top end speed, which makes Thomas and his "growth" somewhat promising, again I'm anxious to see Thomas in preseason action.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Great point @Memphis Ram and could be some concern, but they have signed a couple of speed guys as UDRFA's like Shakeir Ryan and Marquez North is a 4.48 guy, so there are receivers in camp that have plenty top end speed, which makes Thomas and his "growth" somewhat promising, again I'm anxious to see Thomas in preseason action.

And contrary to popular belief, speed can be taught. Otherwise tens of thousands of track coaches across America would be useless and Olympic track athletes wouldn't need to work out.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I noticed something in the OTA photos/video, Thomas needs to place his hands a little closer together, the tip of the ball gets too deep on him still. Catch the tip. Mike, catch the tip, Lol.

One thing that I really like about him, besides his speed, and length, he has great feet, which is what helps him to get separation, consistently.

You can improve hands and route running but size and speed is what it is.