Goff says"Mike Thomas has found a role"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As I recall that was the very reason he fell in the draft (bad hands).

He had everything else figured out pretty well.

From the scouting reports I read on him that was the one problem for him. Capable of making highlight reel catches but also capable of dropping routine catches. That drop against the seahags last year was an example of that.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I see where YOU say he has "exceptional hands".

I read every report I could find on the guy and some mentioned that he would sometimes drop easy catches.

Thomas is a "worker bee" WR with exceptional hands. His late draft position is a result of his inability to separate. He'll get a chance to compete for one of the Rams' last receiver spots. --Mark Dulgerian

PFF ranks Thomas as the No. 7 receiver overall. "He plays bigger than his 6-1 height on tape, making contested catches better than any of the other top receivers in the class," Steve Palazzolo wrote. "Thomas will also dabble with the spectacular catch, turning poor throws into productive plays.

"Thomas has the size to survive in the NFL, and his combination of technique and ball skills allows him to play even bigger..." Luke Easterling

Tell me the Rams couldn't benefit from a guy that does this ;)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Look guys, I'm in the UK and don't have the luxury of watching college games, I get to watch highlights of games etc, whatever I can online, so my vies are always going to be driven by what information I get from the media sources I have. So forgive me if I'm talking out of my hat.

Dropping easy catchable passes has been a Ram WR problem for years, there's nothing new there really. The guy seems to have ability and if the Rams coaches can work on that Focus issue then I really do think we're on to a winner with Thomas. The fact that he has a high motor and brings enthusiasm and has seemingly shined in OTAs has to be a good thing for the Rams - and from what I read and deduct McVay and the rest of the coaching team hold that in high regard. Shit I'm still super pumped after watching that Ted Rath video a few weeks back!!! If guys like that can't help focus these athletes - then they should just find something else to do.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The difference is that Fisher would hype guys for reasons like helping them get the next job. McVay seems to be much more straightforward in that regard.

Honestly, as hard as it is to admit, I thought Higbee looked pretty good in TC. Obviously the regular season didnt show what I saw in TC, or thought I saw. I was also high on Duke, but he dropped everything thrown to him in the preseason games. This TC I am going to expect more from the team than what I saw last TC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We did? It is?

Yes. Those of us who watched Rams football did. It was clear as day when he was on the field, especially when he was operating as a gunner.

Of course, we also have Jared Goff confirming that. Although, I'm sure he doesn't know what a fast WR really looks like. :LOL:

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's been getting Tavon's snaps.

That said, Thomas being one of the fastest WR sounds nice.

On the other hand, while he perhaps plays faster than his 4.53/40 pro day time on the field, such a statement may also speak to a potential lack of speed at WR from the other main players constantly mentioned.
453???m he ran a 448 if I'm not miataken

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Those of us who watched Rams football did. It was clear as day when he was on the field, especially when he was operating as a gunner.
This.
Totally this

I didn't particularly like the drafting of him, I was much more in the corner of Spruce, Cooper and admittedly Duke Williams. But like you said, when Thomas was on the field, he stood out. Clear as day. Cant always quantify things with stats, but to the eye, he was playing at a different speed.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe the 4.53 was just an off day for him because he does look a little faster.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Maybe the 4.53 was just an off day for him because he does look a little faster.

For some people, it's just awkward running the 40. The way they force the setup and go. Game speed is faster then hunched over, one arm up in the air, now run, speed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

40 time just isn't a perfect indicator of speed. I know all of y'all remember Brandon Lloyd. He became quite a good deep threat later in his career despite being a 4.6 40 guy coming out. It was because Lloyd was a strider who disguised his routes well and had an extra gear on the field that allowed him to exploit CBs who didn't get out of their backpedal in time.

Thomas is similar in that regard.(as is Josh Reynolds) He sneaks up on you in the first 10 or so yards. This causes guys to underestimate his speed.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
This.
Totally this

I didn't particularly like the drafting of him, I was much more in the corner of Spruce, Cooper and admittedly Duke Williams. But like you said, when Thomas was on the field, he stood out. Clear as day. Cant always quantify things with stats, but to the eye, he was playing at a different speed.

Totally agreed with this.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
40 time just isn't a perfect indicator of speed. I know all of y'all remember Brandon Lloyd. He became quite a good deep threat later in his career despite being a 4.6 40 guy coming out. It was because Lloyd was a strider who disguised his routes well and had an extra gear on the field that allowed him to exploit CBs who didn't get out of their backpedal in time.

Thomas is similar in that regard.(as is Josh Reynolds) He sneaks up on you in the first 10 or so yards. This causes guys to underestimate his speed.

And this too!

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Don't want to jinx anything because i've been a Mike Thomas fanboy since Day 1... but...

*knocks on wood* I think Thomas has already locked in a spot for himself on this team.