Giants' Janoris Jenkins tweets insult to fan during practice/ Giants Release Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Since 2012, EVERY SINGLE Seahawks thread has contained someone or multiple people calling Russell Wilson a midget. Not a single person on this board has ever been offended by others calling an average sized human a derogatory name for a little person. If you get offended or find the word retard offensive but have no problem with midget, you should probably stop talking. Or typing in this case.

#midgetlivesmatter
He is NOT a midget. He is a Umpa Lumpa. Or the Ewok with a Fro. But midget, nah.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Nice trope but doesn't address what is at issue, namely our Freedom of Speech and the SJW effort to weaponize words to gain advantage. Freedom unlike authoritarianism is messy. It starts and can end with words. JJ used a word you don't like yet attending an NFL game these days subjects people to many words they won't like. What's next Thought Police?

it amounts to a different perspective.

You and others seem to be arguing for a greater coarseness in our discourse under the banner of “freedom” which is more accurately described as a lack of responsibility toward our fellow man.

I’m arguing that our freedom isn’t diminished when we embrace a more aspirational and responsive approach.

I’m clear that I’m not changing anyone’s mind here, but I chose my avatar with much thought.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Actually you’re not IMO.
And @Mackeyser crossed the line with his “when those in authority encourage this type of behavior” horseshit.
Nice try Mac. Write a 2000 word essay based on a false premise.
Kinda like what’s happening in DC these days, which scares the fuck out of me.
Except I won’t be here when it all turns to shit. Thank God. ✌

Im not sure you understand what I'm arguing, but the data supports concretely any assertion I’m making. It’s science at this point.

I dunno anyone who’s happy from either end of the spectrum so maybe we have that in common?

I’m arguing that we lose nothing by loving one another and truly living the Golden Rule. There is nothing political or nefarious at the root of what I’m saying.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This isn't a case of the government controlling speech. You are coming out against a private business choosing to discipline an employee for gratuitous speech which is blatantly offensive against part of their customer base.
That’s an important distinction, and really the only one that matters in the case of freedoms or amendments about them. If/when the gubmint starts to take up that mantle, THEN we have something to be concerned about. Sure it’s illegal to yell “fire” in a crowded blah blah blah, but the line where something you say is determined to be *socially acceptable* is getting blurrier. And now there are penalties involved for people who cross that subjective line.

THAT is retarded.

…..

Legend
Well, from a civics perspective that's not what freedom means in the American context. Typically, it's meant freedom from tyranny, be that monarchy or tyrannical government. The founding fathers wrote of the people as a more unitary, coherent "citizenry" focusing on attacks of "freedom" external to that group.

Moreover, every single right upon which we are bestowed has limits. Every. Single. One.

You do not have the right to simply declare that you are Sui Juris.

You do not have the right to not participate in the laws of the land, including taxation or recognizing the authority of the government.

You do not have the right to have your rights encroach on the rights of others. Now, where that line is has moved in various directions over time, but no one's rights are supreme.

Also, this argument you make is pretty weak because you make an argument based on a principle and then use your personal experience and/or behavioral inclinations as the bulwark. How does that address the people who want that freedom expressly to hurt or incite actual violence? There are sadly a LOT of people like this.

If freedom truly meant the ability to say whatever we wanted then a) insurrection wouldn't be a crime, b) treasonous speech wouldn't be a crime, c) incitement (to riot or commit violence) wouldn't be a crime... etc.

Also, it is beyond disingenuous to think that it's SOLELY about people getting their feelings hurt. Consistently, around the world, when hateful or hurtful speech has been allowed, encouraged or engaged in by those in authority, serious violence up to and including some pretty horrific deaths against the subject of that speech have increased dramatically. And it doesn't matter what group it is, from indigenous peoples to trans people.

Part of the American aspiration has been protecting the weak. Everything from the Statue of Liberty to the many foreign aid, NGOs and charities speak to that. And historically, once past a landmark, we teach the history of overcoming from the suffragettes to civil rights marchers and more as a positive and that THOSE folks are examples of the best of America.

Freedom is not chaos, unbound by rules or strictures. Rather, it is an ideal that our harmony can be congruous and unfettered by the wanton imprisonment of that ideal by a singular authority governed by nothing more than its own capriciousness.

Also, JJ is a cover corner with scheme discipline issues and diminishing physical attributes. I dunno. I just thought I should include some football in here somewhere...
That was amazing. Mack this post really makes you appear ...scholarly.

Nice touch there adding football talk at the end.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Look how many posters want to hit back at Mack...

Feels like some of yalls political animosities are fired up and that this has become a surrogate for a larger national conversation.

People are acting like being an insensitive prick is somehow like an endangered species these days but look around. They are thriving.

Abort thread. There are no winners here.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I’m arguing that we lose nothing by loving one another and truly living the Golden Rule. There is nothing political or nefarious at the root of what I’m saying.

tenor.gif

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
it amounts to a different perspective.

You and others seem to be arguing for a greater coarseness in our discourse under the banner of “freedom” which is more accurately described as a lack of responsibility toward our fellow man.

I’m arguing that our freedom isn’t diminished when we embrace a more aspirational and responsive approach.

I’m clear that I’m not changing anyone’s mind here, but I chose my avatar with much thought.
I disagree. Lack of responsibility? In what way? What you view as aspirational and responsive is not shared by many who are tired of being reproached or worse. Imagine if these people decide to use the same tactics in response. What a noisier bitchier world would result.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Also, it is beyond disingenuous to think that it's SOLELY about people getting their feelings hurt. Consistently, around the world, when hateful or hurtful speech has been allowed, encouraged or engaged in by those in authority, serious violence up to and including some pretty horrific deaths against the subject of that speech have increased dramatically. And it doesn't matter what group it is, from indigenous peoples to trans people.

Indeed you are correct.

Yeah, when he's not posting a message that the whole world can see.

I swear "social" media contains so much antisocial shit.

It's the toilet of the internet.

If I was an agent I would constantly urge clients to avoid it.

And @Mackeyser crossed the line with his “when those in authority encourage this type of behavior” horseshit.

It's not horseshit at all. In fact much of the ethnic cleansing and genocide we've seen in our lifetimes stems from exactly what he said.

Even in the land of the free (and truly that's true) citizens have elected George Wallace. Let's not forget McCarthy.

What Mac said there is hitting it right on the screws.

1576426957975.png

That was amazing. Mack this post really makes you appear ...scholarly.

Nice touch there adding football talk at the end.

He said "bulwark". Look at the big brain on Mac!!!

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
If growing in humanity makes me soft, the I’ll be soft.

If embracing the teachings and philosophies of Social Justice Warriors like MLK, Gandhi and so many others makes me soft, then I’ll be soft.

It still boils down to someone saying, “no one should take offense because *I* don’t take offense.” The lowest common denominator of that amounts to a complete abandonment of our humanity.

I’ll never understand the virtue of defending being less kind to a fellow human being.

At what point do we aspire to lift up everyone such that everyone can exist with humanity and dignity?

Or is the only virtue to devolve society into an emotional Thunderdome?

We either love one another and our actions signify that or we don’t. It’s really as simple as that.

Nah you're mixing up human rights with social justice. Two different things my friend. MLK wasn't blasting people on social media because someone used the word gay or retard. He was standing up to oppression, violence, and downright hate.

It's your right to say or not say whatever you want. And as long as people aren't violating your civil rights people are pretty much allowed to say what they please. It's what defines our freedom of speech.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Indeed you are correct.

I swear "social" media contains so much antisocial shit.

It's the toilet of the internet.

If I was an agent I would constantly urge clients to avoid it.

It's not horseshit at all. In fact much of the ethnic cleansing and genocide we've seen in our lifetimes stems from exactly what he said.

Even in the land of the free (and truly that's true) citizens have elected George Wallace. Let's not forget McCarthy.

What Mac said there is hitting it right on the screws.

View attachment 32804

But Les who decides what is offensive?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
But Les who decides what is offensive?

typically the person or group being described.

It boils down to respecting one another.

Short story. Early in boot camp, me being very casual and from CA, I walked up to three guys who were talking who were in my company and greeted them, "hey fuckers, what's up?" Anyone from SoCal has heard that greeting a bunch of times. Well, these fellas were from the deep south and they stood up. One stepped forward and squared up on me and very seriously said, "don't you NEVER curse me again!"

I was confused. To me, it wasn't a big deal. To him and his fellow southern compatriots, what I said was highly offensive.

Now, I could argue that they were being "too sensitive" or I could simply respect their request to be referred to in a manner that they feel comfortable with.

Trust me. When my youngest came out as non-binary trans, I had feelings, especially about all the language changes. I quickly got over that when I realized that putting my feelings first inherently meant disrespecting and creating stress for my child and I'm not about that. I've gotten to the point that when their friends see how I treat my child, they are in tears wishing their dads could be like that.

Change can be scary, but not changing and thus not growing in love, humility, respect and dignity is far worse and more scary to my mind.

I really don't know if I wanna go into this, but I might need to bring out my Thor story...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

I read that 2nd to last paragraph and I was like, "who wrote THAT???" I think I was channeling someone much smarter than me...

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

Oh really. Well some might say that allowing these freedoms to be taken away now might be described as irresponsible toward our future fellow man.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
typically the person or group being described.

It boils down to respecting one another.

Short story. Early in boot camp, me being very casual and from CA, I walked up to three guys who were talking who were in my company and greeted them, "hey fuckers, what's up?" Anyone from SoCal has heard that greeting a bunch of times. Well, these fellas were from the deep south and they stood up. One stepped forward and squared up on me and very seriously said, "don't you NEVER curse me again!"

I was confused. To me, it wasn't a big deal. To him and his fellow southern compatriots, what I said was highly offensive.

Now, I could argue that they were being "too sensitive" or I could simply respect their request to be referred to in a manner that they feel comfortable with.

Trust me. When my youngest came out as non-binary trans, I had feelings, especially about all the language changes. I quickly got over that when I realized that putting my feelings first inherently meant disrespecting and creating stress for my child and I'm not about that. I've gotten to the point that when their friends see how I treat my child, they are in tears wishing their dads could be like that.

Change can be scary, but not changing and thus not growing in love, humility, respect and dignity is far worse and more scary to my mind.

I really don't know if I wanna go into this, but I might need to bring out my Thor story...

Actually the important part of your story is that you had the freedom to choose what you wanted to say and weren't kicked out of boot camp and sent home because you said an illegal word determined by the future you.

And by the way I have never heard anyone walk up to someone they don't know and say "hey fuckers, what's up?" here in SoCal where I have now lived for 52 years.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Oh really. Well some might say that allowing these freedoms to be taken away now might be described as irresponsible toward our future fellow man.

Maybe...

However, the younger generations are pretty clearly embracing respecting one another.

Instead, maybe it's about simply not wanting to change? That's not a criticism as I think every generation at some point trends toward socially inelasticity.

I find I struggle with some of the new things all the kids are embracing as "normal"...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Actually the important part of your story is that you had the freedom to choose what you wanted to say and weren't kicked out of boot camp and sent home because you said an illegal word determined by the future you.

And by the way I have never heard anyone walk up to someone they don't know and say "hey fuckers, what's up?" here in SoCal where I have now lived for 52 years.

Well, actually, in boot now, I might have been sanctioned, but that wouldn't have risen to expulsion.

I'm 51 and lived half my life in SoCal and I heard it all the time. Different circles, I guess? I wasn't trying to infer that my experience was ubiquitous....

Status
Not open for further replies.