Gerald Everett is 'maybe the best athlete' Wes Phillips has coached

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's why I call Higbee...Higbeast. :D

I was also questioning the re-signing (hell, was questioning the draft pick because I was concerned about character), but Higbee's proved himself to be a top option; even when he wasn't getting thrown to, he was either getting open on his routes (the most glaring example being the seam route on Kupp's touchdown against the Bengals) or blocking extremely well in the run game. He obviously worked hard on his hands in the offseason. they're now solid rather than average.

If Everett takes a similar jump in this season (particularly blocking), we'll have the number one offense again.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’ve read that Higbee is very popular among his teammates.

Always a nice quality in a football player.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn’t change the fact that they chose to re-sign Higbee. They felt he was worth the investment.
This isn’t about Monday morning QBing about other contracts. It’s about commitment.
They showed it with Higbee, who wasn’t even drafted by McVay
Everyone doubted the Higbee extension when it happened. Myself included. But the back half of the season, it was proven worthwhile. I cant day whether Everett will make the same leap. But I think he is at least physically capable of doing so. I'm fine with a Woods/Kupp/Higbee/Everett stack.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
FILED UNDER:
Recapping the development of Los Angeles Rams TE Tyler Higbee
How did Higbee suddenly flip the switch? Let’s take a look.
By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Feb 5, 2020, 9:00 am CDT
0 Comments
Share this story
NFL: Arizona Cardinals at Los Angeles Rams
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
The four-year $29m contract extension General Manager Les Snead handed to Los Angeles Rams TE Tyler Higbee was one of the more random and shocking extensions handed out over the course of the current regime.
Higbee — who had a very minimal impact through three seasons — was rewarded on the eve of the 2019 NFL Season, proving the Rams knew they had something in the former fourth-round pick that not many were aware of.
The tight end position is notoriously known to be one of the positions that requires a longer transition period from the college game to the professional level. Typically, tight ends are expected to breakout and reach their potential in their third or fourth season, as opposed to other positions that may reap their rewards at a much quicker pace.
Higbee’s 2019 season was his fourth season in the NFL and his age-26 season, meaning it was put-up or shut-up time. And, well, Higbee took his game from merely being on the field to being one of the most productive tight ends in football.
Let’s recap his season (stats from Pro Football Reference):
Weeks 1-11:
9 games, 27 targets, 21 receptions, 192 yards, 1 touchdown, 77.8% catch percentage, 7.11 yards-per-target

Weeks 12-17:

6 games, 62 targets, 48 receptions, 542 yards, 2 touchdowns, 77.4% catch percentage, 8.74 yards-per-target
Let’s take a look at some in-depth statistics (per Player Profiler):
Snap share:
66.6% (6.4% slot)

Targets:
89 (7th in league)
Target share:
15.9% (12th in league)
Completed air yards:
366 (12th in league)
Yards after catch:
368 (4th in league)
Red zone receptions:
14 (1st in league)
Yards per pass route:
2.80 (4th in league)
True catch rate (Total receptions divided by total catchable targets):
94.5% (3rd in league)
QB rating when targeted:
107.6 (18th in league)
As you can see from the boatload of stats I presented, Higbee managed to turn the page somewhere in the middle of the season, going from another middling/disappointing season, to becoming one of the best tight ends in the league. Not only was he featured and productive in his raw numbers, but he was incredibly efficient with his touches, he was productive at gaining extra yards post-catch, and he was an incredibly dependable security blanket for QB Jared Goff.

Why did it happen?

We can’t pinpoint the exact reason, but one thing to note is that Higbee — and the tight end position as a whole — hasn’t been featured in L.A. under Head Coach Sean McVay.
Here are the combined TE targets compared to passing attempts by year under McVay since joining the Rams:

2017: 518 pass attempts, 88 TE targets, 17.0% of attempts targeted to TE’s
2018: 561 pass attempts, 85 TE targets, 15.2% of attempts targeted to TE’s
2019: 632 pass attempts, 156 TE targets, 24.7% of attempts targeted to TE’s

As you can see, a major reason for the lackluster production from the tight end position stemmed from a lack of usage. Often times as viewers of the game, we fail to understand that opportunity is half the battle to producing. The usage of the tight ends nearly doubled in 2019 from the two prior seasons.

Why? Who knows.
There are a handful of potential reasons. From the running game struggling to produce, to the lack of time in the pocket for Goff to find wide receivers working the deeper parts of the field, the injury to WR Brandin Cooks opening some targets, and even the possibility of McVay simply feeling the need to expand his horizons and utilize more of the available weapons on his roster (similar to his work in Washington).
Projecting the usage among positional groups — and even players within those positions — is nearly impossible. The Rams are evidently loaded at every offensive skill position. The team has three receivers capable of 1,000-yard seasons, multiple talented running backs, and two tight ends that have been the source of big plays (particularly in 2019).
The conclusion is to not strictly judge players by basic statistics such as receptions, yards, and touchdowns. The more effective way to use statistics is to look at the efficiency of said players, and to compare how they perform within their role (be it large or small) to other players. It’s even feasible to attempt to extrapolate what a player might be in a larger role, though projection is a whole different animal.
When the Rams handed Higbee the questionable extension, many (including myself) fans and media members were confused and believed the decision would ultimately result in a regretful mistake. Yet, through one season, Higbee and the Rams have proven to be one step ahead of the game with Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper reaching the open market this free agency period, and talented youngsters like O.J. Howard, Evan Engram, and George Kittle slated for free agency in 2021.
So far, so good.

I'll suppose that they won't have they money at the end of 2021, but it would be interesting if they signed Engram. I recall the Rams really liking Evan Engram in the draft. He didn't reach them of course.

One thing that made the Tyler Higbee contract a head scratcher was reports that the Rams offered him to the Vikings around the draft for a seventh round pick, supposedly. A seventh is like giving him away. It would have clearly indicated that they favored Everett.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As you can see, a major reason for the lackluster production from the tight end position stemmed from a lack of usage. Often times as viewers of the game, we fail to understand that opportunity is half the battle to producing. The usage of the tight ends nearly doubled in 2019 from the two prior seasons.

Good article (y)

I'm fine with a Woods/Kupp/Higbee/Everett stack.

Yeah... Looks AWESOME to me.

One thing that made the Tyler Higbee contract a head scratcher was reports that the Rams offered him to the Vikings around the draft for a seventh round pick, supposedly. A seventh is like giving him away. It would have clearly indicated that they favored Everett.

I sort of forgot about that... it WAS a weird series of events, with that rumor mixed in.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sort of forgot about that... it WAS a weird series of events, with that rumor mixed in.

what event took place which showed that the rumour was a pile of shit? the rams signed higbee to a huge extension. for a player that hadn't really broken out yet as a receiving te. is that what a team would do if they were happy to get a 7th round pick in return for him?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
what event took place which showed that the rumour was a pile of shit? the rams signed higbee to a huge extension. for a player that hadn't really broken out yet as a receiving te. is that what a team would do if they were happy to get a 7th round pick in return for him?

Yeah... it turned out to be bogus. Just odd timing it was mixed in around that time?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah... it turned out to be bogus. Just odd timing it was mixed in around that time?

i'm not sure if the rumour was spread before the draft but they may have been trying to get a team or two to take a te before their pick in a certain round if they were after another player that those teams could also have an interest in.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone doubted the Higbee extension when it happened. Myself included. But the back half of the season, it was proven worthwhile
That's nice, but has nothing to do with my point. The Rams didnt doubt the extension, they gave it to him. And as of right now, Everett doesnt have one, but the Rams did draft a potential replacement for him. If Hopkins can replace Everett, they'd beable to save some cap dollars

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Everyone doubted the Higbee extension when it happened.
You can't include me in that collective perspective. I remember stating that teams tend to prioritize blocking when you have a running back like Todd Gurley on your team.

I'm sure I've also tried to state that a tight end has to earn his targets with good blocking, otherwise why not simply cover him with a safety instead of a linebacker?

Kupp is a big guy, and he's a great slot receiver, but if I could have two tight ends on the roster who are both great blockers and receivers, well you know, who has the linebackers to cover both or don't just eat the run?

I think Everett hasn't seen the field as much only because Higbee is such a great blocker, and McVay prefers to open things up for Goff through play action.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
So is 12 Higbee, Everett, Woods and Kupp better than 11 Woods, Kupp, Reynolds/Jefferson, Higbee?
I think Everett > Reynolds. but Jefferson may be better than those two. (I said MAY)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So is 12 Higbee, Everett, Woods and Kupp better than 11 Woods, Kupp, Reynolds/Jefferson, Higbee?
I think Everett > Reynolds. but Jefferson may be better than those two. (I said MAY)
Kind of an ambiguous question. In a run play of course having 2 TE is advantageous, not sure about 11 as we dont know how effective Akers will be at pass pro, something Gurley was good at, and Henderson not so much.
That said, the offense was clicking in the last 5 games with an ineffective Cooks in 11, and Mundt taking Everett's snaps in 12

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I kind of smell pumping up a player for a trade. I hope he turns it on this season because you can see the potential. I just think they may be priming the pump to get a team to jump at a trade scenario.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Its a very odd rumor for someone to start in the first place. If Snead started it then okay, then it's strategy. If a reporter started it, then it's kind of a weak rumor. How much attention would it get them? At that point Higbee wasn't anything special. I recall thinking that a 7th round pick sounded too low for Higbee's blocking ability, but thought maybe the Rams weren't going sign him. But it was hardly newsworthy at the time. So my point is that if someone was to make up a lie for clicks, why not make up a better one? It sounded to inconsequential to be made up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its a very odd rumor for someone to start in the first place. If Snead started it then okay, then it's strategy. If a reporter started it, then it's kind of a weak rumor. How much attention would it get them? At that point Higbee wasn't anything special. I recall thinking that a 7th round pick sounded too low for Higbee's blocking ability, but thought maybe the Rams weren't going sign him. But it was hardly newsworthy at the time. So my point is that if someone was to make up a lie for clicks, why not make up a better one? It sounded to inconsequential to be made up.
It wasnt even a rumor. Some Minnesota sports writer floated an ambiguous tweet that the Rams and Vikings discussed a trade a year earlier. Was one of those "rumors" where different writers would use the same tweet but seemingly look as if it was a different article.