Gerald Everett is 'maybe the best athlete' Wes Phillips has coached

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Gerald Everett is 'maybe the best athlete' Wes Phillips has coached

The tight end position is far more integral to NFL offenses nowadays, with players at that spot contributing not only as extra blockers on the ends of the line, but also as playmaking receivers. The Rams are fortunate to have two capable receivers in Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett on their tight end depth chart, giving Sean McVay options on offense.

Higbee emerged as a real threat last December, but Everett shouldn’t be forgotten in L.A. He’s still a playmaker with immense potential despite not having the breakout year so many have expected from him the last two seasons. Although he’s returning from an ankle injury that caused him to miss time late last season, Everett’s arrow should be pointing up.

Rams tight ends coach Wes Phillips, son of Wade Phillips, heaped praise on Everett in an interview with the team’s official site, specifically highlighting his athleticism and toughness.

“He’s a smart player, he’s instinctive, but extremely explosive,” Phillips said. “One of the best athletes, maybe as far as raw, athletic talent – maybe the best athlete that I’ve coached. From a tight end standpoint, he can run. He’s great with the ball after the catch. The first guy never brings him down. He’s strong. He’s explosive, from that standpoint running, but what a lot of people don’t always realize either is that in the run game, that same explosion, it applies, and he’s a tough, tough, tough man.”

McVay and Les Snead have hinted at using more personnel groupings this season, getting the tight ends more involved on offense. Snead even mentioned “exotic personnel packages” as a way to get rookie Brycen Hopkins involved.

Higbee and Everett are both good blockers and give their tackles help on the edges, which keeps the playbook open for McVay. Don’t be surprised to see Higbee and Everett on the field much more often together this season than they were in years past.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rams are gonna run a lot of tightend sets I wouldn’t be surprised if they carried 4 tightends on the 53

jap

Legend
The rams are gonna run a lot of tightend sets I wouldn’t be surprised if they carried 4 tightends on the 53

They should carry four TEs as an absolute minimum since they may have play designs involving as many as three TEs.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Would love to see it especially if Everett can step up. If he can block effectively when they run, and with Higbee now a serious threat as a receiver, they could be impossible for the defense to read in terms of who is the intended target on any given play or whether it is a run or a pass.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Best athlete is a nice label. Hands of stone is not. Too many times Everett doesn't come up with the catch when he's counted on to come through. Maybe moving forward his hands will catch up w/ his "potential".

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best athlete is a nice label. Hands of stone is not. Too many times Everett doesn't come up with the catch when he's counted on to come through. Maybe moving forward his hands will catch up w/ his "potential".
I don’t know what you’ve been seeing but Everett hands aren’t a problem

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Hey @CGI_Ram based on our conversation in a different thread, you spoke of Higbee not hitting 1000
because we have too many good targets.
Higbee broke out in year 4. This is gonna be Everette's 4th year,
You feelin a GE breakout this year?
Wouldn't that just make our 12 personnel plum nasty.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
One of the best athletes, maybe as far as raw, athletic talent – maybe the best athlete that I’ve coached.
What? I guess they're going to go with the back when Wes was coaching him, Vernon Davis was over the hill and a shadow, athletically, of his old self line?

Not that it matters. I don't think anyone here thinks that just because someone is a great athlete that they're going to make it in the NFL. The fact that the article ran with "best athlete" in the headline probably shows the demo the article was aimed at and/or what theramswire thinks of us.

Vernon_Davis_RAS.png

C-C6PPFUQAAE7TG

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
His hands aren’t bricks and he isn’t Kendricks. Whoever thinks Everett has questionable hands needs to watch him more. Dude is a beast of an athlete with good hands.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hey @CGI_Ram based on our conversation in a different thread, you spoke of Higbee not hitting 1000
because we have too many good targets.
Higbee broke out in year 4. This is gonna be Everette's 4th year,
You feelin a GE breakout this year?
Wouldn't that just make our 12 personnel plum nasty.

I am almost afraid I’ve been too “over the top” with my admiration for Everett.... Because, on the field he has not totally put it together. Impacted by injury, and our reluctance to mix in more 12.

Long way of saying; I think he’s ripe to be a 2020 surprise on offense.

I love him as a receiver... Strong-strong hangs snatching the ball... and when he runs with the ball... he runs angry.

He stands to steal yards from Higbee.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont know, when I hear a compliment of "great athlete", it kind of sounds like the "She's got a great personality"
I like Everett, and dont necessarily want him gone, I just could understand if he was let go or traded

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I dont know, when I hear a compliment of "great athlete", it kind of sounds like the "She's got a great personality"
I like Everett, and dont necessarily want him gone, I just could understand if he was let go or traded

Yeah... also... Fendi Onobun, Brian Quick, etc. We’ve heard these labels.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Everett was our "tell" in the SB. The other team's D knew what we were running whenever he was on the field. GE HAS to be a more complete TE, athlete or no athlete. I'm encouraged that Wes thinks his blocking has improved but we've seen him miss assignments more than once. He can block, sure, but if he's blocking the wrong man he might as well be a turnstile.

I'm still glad he's a Ram, he's made some killer plays for us, but I'm hoping his overall play improves to the point where the other team can't know what's coming.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
He stands to steal yards from Higbee.

I'm hoping the light comes on and GE puts it all together this year. All the talent is there, we've seen flashes
of it many times.The threat of a two headed monster at the TE position would be huge.

I think these flashes we've seen from GE have made us all very encouraged of his potential,
so don't give me this "over the top" talk. I am the king of "over the top" @Elmgrovegnome
has already had to bring me back to earth on Van Jefferson. VJ hasn't even stepped on the
field and I was comparing him to Woods. SMH. lol.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Everett just needs the time on the field to get the nuances of the position down. After the catch, he is like a monster runningback with speed, power, moves, instincts.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams make an emphasis to feature him early and often this year, but it's Higbees job to lose at this point.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm hoping the light comes on and GE puts it all together this year. All the talent is there, we've seen flashes
of it many times.The threat of a two headed monster at the TE position would be huge.

I think these flashes we've seen from GE have made us all very encouraged of his potential,
so don't give me this "over the top" talk. I am the king of "over the top" @Elmgrovegnome
has already had to bring me back to earth on Van Jefferson. VJ hasn't even stepped on the
field and I was comparing him to Woods. SMH. lol.

The reality is I Posted about Gerald Everett before this thread. So I was first on the cliff. Not sure if anyone can still hear the echoes!!

I think Everett is a Big Part of what Mcvay wants to accomplish. He had Everett & Higbee running a lot of routes 2019 Training Camp!! Everett had a couple 10 look days.

I also say Van Jefferson will TAKE a BACK seat to Josh Reynolds this season. Jefferson will be a sold 3rd outlet for Jared Goff,maybe as early as this season.
Woods & Copper Kupp are going to be so much better in 2020. Goff’s completion rate should go way up this season.

—Add the offensive Line should be solid. Cam & Henderson should get up in the whole quicker.

Long story short, Gerald Everett should be a lot better. He still feels the hurt from dropping that pass against the Hags.

Ram65

Legend
Ram Bot posted this article which only got one comment so I thought here would be a good spot. It gives a little more than the best athlete storyline.

Countdown to Camp: Rams TEs coach Wes Phillips says group gives team "a lot of options"

What does Rams tight ends coach Wes Phillips like about his group?

"What don't I like is really the better question," Phillips said with a laugh.

With the official start of Rams Training Camp presented by UNIFY Financial Credit Union on the horizon, it's easy to see why Phillips sees few, if any flaws in his group.

The tight end room currently consists of fifth-year pro Tyler Higbee, fourth-year pros Gerald Everett and Johnny Mundt, second-year pro Kendall Blanton and a "steal" of a draft pick in fourth-round rookie Brycen Hopkins from Purdue. Collectively, it's a unit regarded by scouting service Pro Football Focus as the fifth-best in the NFL.

Phillips, who is in his third season overseeing the Rams tight ends, saw Higbee, Everett and Mundt each play critical roles for Los Angeles in his second.

Both Higbee and Everett had career seasons in 2019. In Higbee's case, it set franchise single-season records for receptions (69) and receiving yards (734) for the position. Though Everett missed three games due to injury, he still produced career-bests for receptions (37) and receiving yards (408) in a single season. Meanwhile, with Everett out, Mundt ascended into a bigger role that helped him become a key contributor as a run-blocker.

"We've got just an excellent group that is not only talented as far as they've all shown what they can do, obviously, particularly Tyler and Gerald in the pass game, but also their attention to detail and their physicality in the run game," Phillips said. "So they really give us a lot of options."

For Phillips, Higbee's breakout play last season didn't come as as a surprise.

"Everyone who has been around our football team, players and coaches included, I think we all knew that he was capable of doing those types of things," Phillips said. "It was just about getting the opportunity and, you know, in this league, someone goes down with injury and someone's role increases, and Tyler was more than ready to step up what his number was called, for sure."

The opportunity, of course, came when Everett was unfortunately dealing with a knee injury. Now that he's healthy, Phillips is eager to have Everett back in the fold.

One might assume it's because of how valuable Everett is as a receiver, but Phillips reminded that Everett is also a capable blocker. When Higbee missed the Rams' Week 3 game against the Browns, Everett was tasked with blocking players like Pro Bowl defensive ends Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon and "did a great job," according to Phillips.

"He's a smart player, he's instinctive, but extremely explosive," Phillips said. "One of the best athletes, maybe as far as raw, athletic talent – maybe the best athlete that I've coached. From a tight end standpoint, he can run. He's great with the ball after the catch. The first guy never brings him down. He's strong. He's explosive, from that standpoint running, but what a lot of people don't always realize either is that in the run game, that same explosion, it applies, and he's a tough, tough, tough man."

Just because the Rams tight end room already returns a lot of experience entering training camp doesn't mean Hopkins won't be able to contribute to the rotation. However, Like any rookie entering the upcoming NFL season, getting acclimated will take a little bit longer than normal due to the absence of on-field work during the offseason program – valuable time used for honing footwork technique, for example.

"He's been very studious, he's been studying everything, but it's still a lot for a young guy," Phillips said. "So right now, his job is just to make sure he knows his assignments. We're trying to work with the technique on the fly here and make sure he catches up to those other guys, because right now, he's behind. But, when you see him out there and you see him move, and when he does do a technique correctly, you see what he brings to the table. He's very athletic, he's strong, he's physical."

Like fellow rookie Terrell Lewis, though, that gradual transition for Hopkins should be smooth based on how well his college duties translate to the Rams.

"One of the reasons we liked him is that we could see him on tape at Purdue doing all the things we're really going to ask him to do," Phillips said. "He's just got to switch over that terminology and then kind of learn our technique the way we do it."

Ram65

Legend
ROD-BOT said:
One might assume it's because of how valuable Everett is as a receiver, but Phillips reminded that Everett is also a capable blocker. When Higbee missed the Rams' Week 3 game against the Browns, Everett was tasked with blocking players like Pro Bowl defensive ends Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon and "did a great job," according to Phillips.

Everett is a much better blocker than given credit for.

ROD-BOT said:
"He's a smart player, he's instinctive but extremely explosive," Phillips said. "One of the best athletes, maybe as far as raw, athletic talent – maybe the best athlete that I've coached. From a tight end standpoint, he can run. He's great with the ball after the catch. The first guy never brings him down. He's strong. He's explosive, from that standpoint running, but what a lot of people don't always realize either is that in the run game, that same explosion, it applies, and he's a tough, tough, tough man."

He is great after the catch and can block. Higbee and Everett make a great pair of TEs.

I'll add this to my original comments above on the Ram Bot thread.

McVay needs to mix things up in each game. Get some more 12P in every game. Keep defenses off balance. He can use Everett as both a TE and WR and then not allowing defenses to switch personnel. Move Everett around. He did use Henderson as a WR split wide which with Everett can create some nice mismatches. When McVay drafted Everett that's what I thought he would do but, he went more 11P. Let's see what McVay does this year. He keeps saying he has to use Everett more but, seems to back down from using him.

Last edited: