GDT: Rams vs Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
A tough night dumped a bucket of cold water on Rams fans. I'm still optimistic. Goff looked great at the start. I think he would have worked his way through the struggles if we kept him in the game.

I ain't worried, I'm treating this as year 1 for Goff. He's younger that Trubisky is, he's got a long career ahead of him.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Least we came out relatively healthy. Let's hope Hemingway is ok. Looked like an ankle sprain though.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
19 unanswered points; not bad for the 2nd teamers, showed some grit
Your right, BUT ... With all the starter's that didn't start this game. I question If McVay wanted to Win, or if he got over protective, and was looking too far ahead to the Colts game! JMHO!
I hate Losing, I don't think he put his team in a position to win, because of the Players he started! BUT the Player's played there hearts out!!

Rambo

UDFA
I actually think its good that some bad stuff happens and they lose a game. You don't want to be perfect going into the regular season because then you can only go downhill.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those two catches----the grab before the knockout blow and the TD reception just clinched Reynolds' status on the final 53. Mannion is manning up!
Mannion gets receivers jobs

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seriously though only 3/11 defensive starters and it showed right from the outset. Great first drive and Goff has to sense that pressure and needs to protect the football. Goff had a high number of fumbles in college and not to beat a dead horse, but small hands don't help in those scenarios. The interception was a wounded duck and IMO, I feel once it became 21-0 McVay was upset so featured Malcolm Brown on Goff's final drive with only one pass play called, kicked the FG and then sat Goff who was in there with the 2nd string offensive line with the exception of Havenstein.

Once the Chargers brought in their 2nd unit offense I knew the Rams would get back into the game because the 2nd & 3rd team defense for the Rams was out there all night, for example, who in the hell is Andy Mulumba? He was not drafted or a high profile UDRFA and the guy played on every series with the exception of the first, unreal. Also Joyner & Countess got torched on the first TD and for the most part, Joyner looked really bad, but the defense as a whole did not play well until the playing field was leveled.

Is Sean McVay turning Sean Mannion into Kirk Cousins 2.0? IMHO, McVay is not going to be the type of Coach that sticks with his QB no matter what. Now I might be wrong and McVay might change during the regular season, but Goff's gaffes led to 14 points and either McVay had seen enough or maybe he was thinking by bringing in the second unit the Chargers would too in order to give the defense a break as well. Either way, Goff needs more reps and maybe against the Packers with most starters sitting, he'll have Goff play longer, either way I will be interested to see what happens come September Morn.

I knew Coons would miss the 30 yard FG because he hit the 53 yard FG and IMO, the Chargers first team played much better and deserved the game. I'm am hoping the Rams can get everyone healthy on defense and clean up making mistakes on offense. The wide receiver unit is actually a strength now, so that is a good thing and I do hope Hemmingway is okay, but the Rams have depth at that position with Harkey & Wilson too. Justin Davis is a find, but he still needs to work on ball security as he bobbled the ball once and could not turn it lose on one play because he was keeping two hands on the football so a big gain was reduced to 6 yards because of not being able to secure the rock.

DT Casey Sales worth keeping on the PS as the guy never quits and is the only defensive lineman that made a play donning horns. Chargers blitzed far more than the Rams, but Rams have only two sacks or so this preseason and that is a concern IMO. Overall I'm thankful the score evened out a bit and there is still plenty of work to do as many of us forget McVay took over a 4-12 team. I'm not upset he did not stick with Goff, I'm trusting McVay knows more about Quarterbacks than yours truly.

BTW, OT Darryl Williams has played extremely well this preseason and will make the team along with Center Austin Blythe, Guard Cody Wichmann has some nice run blocking as well, but quite frankly, Pace Murphy got beat badly and if he and Michael Dunn switched jerseys, could you really tell the difference? In fairness, Dunn outplayed Murphy albeit a smaller sample size.

Last edited:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Every time I saw Murphy on the screen he was just standing there watching his man run by him.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn you Eric Dickerson! You might be right.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Whitworth is the only one who chased him all the way.
I saw that....G-Rob used to really look good chasing defenders.....that's leadership...hopefully it'll open some eyes when they watch the film....
It hurt Whit....needs to hurt some others...

This sucks! Lets see what this coaching staff is worth!!
I think resting the starters is wise...plus we got some good tape on our backups....and some questionable starters...Like I could look good playing next to Quinn and Donald and Brockers....now, try me with Smart, Lonacre, Fox, and Westbrooks...different picture. This way, the bottom of the roster is more solid.

I want to see Mannion get some love on this site after this game for a change. No disrespect to Goff.
Exactly...never thought I'd say this...but Goff could lose his job to Mannion....he's no Marino either...but I see some things that I don't in Goff....It'll be and interesting game against the Packers...I wanted the Rams to draft Hundley....now he'll start against the guy they did take, Mannion.

No one hates mannion ... he just isn't gonna be the starter
IDK....you can't have guys giving games away....lose the team.

What a piece of crap McCoil is.
I thought he made several winning plays....if he's cut, I'd love to have a safety like that. Dude was ballin.
I have no desire to watch a guy run around a ring all night. Hope he gets knocked the f out
LOL...he did almost knock Connor out...pretty good fight for pay per view...thought I'd win a lil more with my bets....oh well

Time for Sean Mannion to inspire whispers of QB controversy by bringing the Horns back using his new weapon, Reynolds!
He opened some eyes for sure...he keeps playing well...consistently....I don't think he's a longterm answer tho.
I question If McVay wanted to Win, or if he got over protective, and was looking too far ahead to the Colts game! JMHO!
I hate Losing, I don't think he put his team in a position to win, because of the Players he started!
Dave....DAVE....it's not about winning NOW DAVE! It's how did they perform...and we got some good...a lot of bad...and some in between...that's good and bad....I want to see who our final 16 players are....
and it better not be Murphy, Williams...
Helll, I'm almost ready to cut Joyner, Havenstein, and Brown...
" I feel you pain, he cost me a lot more than that!!"(y);):(
Dude, told you this felt like a trap game! See....that's why I like to wait til the last minute to bet...Holding guys out....I didn't know GURLEY wasn't playing...he's the key...
Goff took a huge step back....consistency is key...it shows he KNOWS what the hell he's doing. He looked good...then as soon as some...anything goes wrong...he goes into tank mode...quitting...curr shit...that fumble was terrible...ok...then to follow it up with a TERRIBLE PICK....now guys are saying before the fumble, he missed a wr. Oh boy.