GDT: Rams vs Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
980x420-lac-2LAC.jpg

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Game-Preview-Rams-Chargers-Face-Off-in-Week-3-of-Preseason/fcc4550a-0a40-49d5-ac48-62ad4ff72d90

Video: What to Watch: Rams vs. Chargers

The Rams will take the field at the Coliseum for the last time this preseason when they face off against the Chargers on Saturday. This game marks the first contest between two Los Angeles teams since Nov. 13, 1994. And while it is just preseason, the third exhibition often holds more importance than most.

Saturday’s contest may be the last for many of the Rams’ starters, who are likely to sit out of Week 4 in preparation for the regular season opener. After showing steady improvement in the first two exhibition matchups, the Rams’ offense will be put to the test against a strong Chargers’ defense.

“I think being able to practice against them twice, you have a little bit of a feel,” McVay said after practice on Wednesday. “[But] they’re an excellent defense and I expect them to do really good things...They’ve got weapons all around, so it’s going to be a great opportunity for us.”

In the Chargers, the Rams’ offensive line led by veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth and center John Sullivan will be up against the dynamic pass-rushing duo of Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram. Bosa was named Defensive Rookie of the Year last season after recording 10.5 sacks in 12 games, while Ingram has 18.5 sacks over the last two seasons.

With these two coming after him, quarterback Jared Goff will need to hold his own in the pocket as he did last week against the Raiders, making good decisions as a passer. In two preseason starts, Goff has completed 19-of-24 passes for 194 yards and one touchdown. This week, he will look to remain consistent.

Photo Gallery: PHOTOS: Rams vs. Chargers Week Practice

“If you can string together good decisions, throw the ball with great timing and rhythm and accuracy, [then] that’s going to give yourself a chance to play the quarterback position at a high level,” McVay said, “and I thought he did a good job of that last week. I want to see the same type of thing moving into this week against an excellent defense in the Chargers.”

While wide receiver Cooper Kupp will not play on Saturday because he is out with what McVay referred to as a “sore groin,” Goff will still have a solid arsenal of weapons at his disposal. Expect wide receivers Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, and Pharoh Cooper to take the majority of first-team reps alongside tight ends Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett.

The Rams’ defense, under the direction of Wade Phillips, will be challenged by a seasoned Chargers’ offense led by quarterback Philip Rivers. Rivers and company are expected to see their most extensive action yet in Saturday’s game and will test the abilities of the Rams’ defense with their strong run and passing attack.

Last season Rivers completed 60.4 percent of his passes for 4,386 yards and 33 touchdowns. His primary targets include wide receivers Keenan Allen and Antonio Gates as well as running back Melvin Gordon who rushed for 997 yards last year.

The Rams’ defense will be without linebacker Mark Barron as well as cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman. Outside linebacker Robert Quinn and cornerback Kayvon Webster did practice on Thursday, but their statuses have not been determined for Saturday’s game. McVay reiterated that the goal is keeping the starters healthy for the Sept. 10 game against the Colts.

But, the defense will still include the likes of veteran defensive tackle Michael Brockers and middle linebacker Alec Ogletree, as well as a variety of rotational options in the secondary, including cornerback Trumaine Johnson and safety Lamarcus Joyner.

Overall, McVay says the preseason contest with the Chargers will provide him with one last opportunity to evaluate his projected starters.

“I think it’s just looking to see good, productive football from our team as a whole, but especially those guys that we’re really counting on,” he said, “knowing that it probably will be the last time we see them with the approach we’ll take with the Green Bay game.”

And though there has been much made of a budding rivalry between the two neighboring teams, McVay is just hoping to present the fans with a good product that they “can be proud of.”

“I think what it does is it offers a great opportunity for two teams in a great market to try to put a sound product out there,” McVay said. “I think it would be a little bit different if we were both in the NFC. But, being that we’re AFC-NFC, have a lot of respect for them and what they represent. I’m hoping for nothing but the best for Coach Anthony Lynn and his team this year.”

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Getting off work at 0530. Heading home to pack up the truck, then off to Lot 4. GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I had a dream that Aaron Donald showed up and took in the game from the sideline with his teammates.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In Rams’ last real dress rehearsal before season opener, here’s what to focus on Saturday

rams-raiders-football_24355847_5391767.jpg

Rams quarterback Jared Goff passes as Oakland Raiders defensive end Khalil Mack applies pressure during the first half of an NFL preseason game in Oakland, Saturday, Aug. 19, 2017. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE

Take a good look at the Rams’ starters Saturday night when they host the Chargers at the Coliseum. Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, Sammy Watkins and all the rest of the first-stringers will play into the third quarter, as is the norm for NFL teams in the third game of the preseason.

But once they leave the field, it’ll be awhile before we see them again.

As in, Sept. 10 when the Rams open the season against the Indianapolis Colts.

That is assuming Rams coach Sean McVay resists the urge to get Goff a few more practice snaps before the season opener. If so, and that seems a safe bet, Goff and the rest of the starters will watch from the sidelines Thursday when the Rams play the Packers to conclude the preseason.
Saturday, then, becomes the final dress rehearsal.

That said, here are some things to focus on with the Rams.

JARED GOFF AND BUILDING ON MOMENTUM

To some, Goff’s performance last week against the Raiders was his official coming-out party as the quarterback prospect the Rams assumed they were getting upon drafting him first overall in 2016.

Goff looked poised and confident while directing the Rams to two touchdowns and a field goal in four drives, completing 16 of 20 passes for 160 yards in the process.

In a hostile environment that pushed him to use a silent count a handful of times, he looked smooth working from the consistent clean pockets provided by an improved offensive line, but also successfully managing the moments he played under duress.

Like when he hastened up his footwork with a pass-rusher barreling down on him, instinctively planted his back foot to create balance, then lofted a perfectly thrown 23-yard pass to Cooper Kupp for a touchdown.

The footwork, the poise, the arm strength and accuracy were rarely apparent during Goff’s rookie season, mostly due to the deficient talent around him and bad coaching. All too often, he played under major fire and had little help.

The Rams have addressed most of the pressing issues, and what we saw from Goff last Saturday is a reflection of those changes and the natural growth of a young quarterback.

Ideally, Goff and the Rams plant another foot in the right direction against the Chargers, enabling them to head into the regular season feeling as good as possible about things.

Much like the confident tone created by the Raiders game.

“I mean, just seeing it come to fruition a little bit and the way we were so efficient,” Goff said. “Like I said again, we were staying in great manageable downs. But, it wasn’t like it was shocking. It’s something that we expected to do. We expect to play like that. We expect to play well, and we expect to move the ball.”

OFFENSIVE LINE NEEDS TO KEEP IMPROVING
According to Pro Football Focus, the Rams’ starting offensive line has allowed just three quarterback pressures through two preseason games. That’s impressive considering the 20 sacks Goff suffered over six games last year and how he continually played under pressure.

The addition of All-Pro left tackle Andrew Whitworth has been a revelation, especially with him replacing one of the worst starting left tackles in the NFL in Greg Robinson. Veteran John Sullivan has been efficient as the new center and Rob Havenstein and Rodger Saffold have been solid at right tackle and left guard. Even Jamon Brown, the new starting left guard, took a positive step in the second preseason game.

“They’re starting to jell, and I think you saw that last Saturday,” Goff said of his offensive line. “The Oakland defensive line is no slouch. They’ve got some dudes over there, and they did a great job keeping them away and giving me a good pocket. It wasn’t just throw it and get hit; it was clean the whole night. It was. No one really around me.”

The Rams face a stiff challenge against the Chargers’ active, talented front seven that features pass-rushing demons Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa. It’s the ideal test for them in their final preseason tuneup.

TRUMAINE JOHNSON AND THE SECONDARY
Aside from safety Maurice Alexander, who had a breakthrough season, the Rams secondary took a bit of a step back last season after losing cornerback Janoris Jenkins and with fellow cornerback Trumaine Johnson falling short of his 2015 performance.

The coaching change from Jeff Fisher to McVay also meant a defensive shift from Greg Williams’ 4-3 to Wade Phillips’ 3-4. And with it, an entirely new approach in how the Rams cornerbacks are being used.

It would be unfair to categorize it as going from passive to aggressive, but there is no doubt the cornerbacks are much more active and in attack mode under Phillips. And even while injuries and proactive “maintenance” have meant starters and rotational players such as Kayvon Webster and Nickell Robey-Coleman missing preseason games, they’ve both looked good in practice and their backups have played well in the games.

Opposing quarterbacks have challenged Johnson just one time this preseason, and he came up with an interception after easily diagnosing the route and throw by Raiders wide receiver Michael Crabtree and quarterback Derek Carr.

Robey-Coleman has been ruled out for Saturday while Webster’s status will be decided before the game. The group that does take the field will get challenged by veteran Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who is itching to play after making a brief appearance in the preseason opener and then sitting out all of the second game.

If Webster does play, it’s a good opportunity to see him operating alongside Johnson in what, on paper and thus far schematically, looks like a better, deeper position than last year.

[www.ocregister.com]

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm jazzed! :help:Going to the game, courtesy of my nephew who, sadly, is a Charger fan:violin:. Great seats! :hiding: 35yd line, 28 rows up from the field.
Beer :cheers: (limit 2) and brats at Alpine Village, then a 20 minute ride on the MetroLink to Exposition Park and a short walk to our seats.:homercrawl:

I'll be posting my impressions of the game tomorrow morning :icare: (I'm up early, all those years in the Army getting up at 5am to run PT). :lifting: I'll be keeping a close eye on the OL, the weakest position group IMHO.:effemine:

BEAT LA!

:banana::yay::rolllaugh::help::football:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm jazzed! :help:Going to the game, courtesy of my nephew who, sadly, is a Charger fan:violin:. Great seats! :hiding: 35yd line, 28 rows up from the field.
Beer :cheers: (limit 2) and brats at Alpine Village, then a 20 minute ride on the MetroLink to Exposition Park and a short walk to our seats.:homercrawl:

I'll be posting my impressions of the game tomorrow morning :icare: (I'm up early, all those years in the Army getting up at 5am to run PT). :lifting: I'll be keeping a close eye on the OL, the weakest position group IMHO.:effemine:

BEAT LA!

You know you're gonna have to groin punch your nephew midway through the game, to set the precedence right? Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My nephew is a Long Beach cop, I'll take my chances and "nut punch" him anyway.:boxing:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One stat line I'll be especially interested in watching in this game. So far in the pre-season the Rams are +2 in the give/takeaway Dept. and the Chargers are Minus 4!! I'm Looking for our "D" to create some takeaways!
"THIS FEELS LIKE A 27-17 WIN FOR THE RAMS!!"(y):yay::pillowfight::yess::football:
GO RAMS!!

-dancing-rams-2.gif

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Anybody have a clue when McGregor Mayweather will actually be in the ring in relation to Rams game?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

BEAT LA!

I'll be looking forward to your report. I hope your able to report Zero Sacks on Goff and No picks thrown by him in this WIN!!(y):D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will watch the first drive or two then have to head to the soccer match. It's already set to record though so I'll be up past midnight tonight watching it when I get home.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
la_ufo10.jpg
awesome @Florida_Ram

True header....they still don't know what they were shooting at that day....

Big day for Whitworth & Havenstein....Bosa and Ingrahm will give us a good look. Huge day for Cooper...and Spruce...who's gonna win the backup slot position? Will KD Cannon ever play? At least he beat Webster in that race....Speaking of Webster, is he gonna ever play? How about Lance Dunbar? Could you imagine how we'd be reacting if this was Watkins & Woods?

Are the defensive "starters" gonna get ran over like last week? Yeah, we're missing everybody....I have a feeling that if Aaron Donald were here, playing, and all the others STILL sat out, our defense would still get 3 and outs....Something about being stout up the middle...just can't replace it.