GDT: Chargers at Rams - Preseason Game 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can’t really judge the running backs with how the run blocking looked. But Jones is the best out the bunch. Good news I’m pretty sure the starting oline plays next week

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Staley blitzed more than you would expect for preseason. Both Alaric Jackson and Anchrum looked pretty good in this game. With teams needing help at OT there is no way Alaric clears waivers now. It looks like Evans' roster spot might be in jeopardy.
I thought the entire left side, including Alaric Jackson, was atrocious.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good news I’m pretty sure the starting oline plays next week

after seeing the backups there's no way mcvay is gonna risk the starters in preseason.

i get it, it's difficult to make any assessment of any of the rbs when the oline can't block anyone but mcvay is risk averse in preseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I thought the entire left side, including Alaric Jackson, was atrocious.
Yeah. I can't get my head around the idea that Jackson is amazing and Evans is a cut waiting to happen. Haven't even really looked at the tape yet either but I know without looking that Jackson struggled because I know he's raw as hell and I saw some of the plays.

Evans had some bad moments but he's gonna get a lot of good snaps in preseason and should improve. These are really good snaps for linemen, full go to the ground like they can't get in camp any more. I would guess we see some juggling of the options at multiple spots in the next game and I would hope the OL improves a bit in this next game. Especially the first group out.

jjab360

Legend
Can anyone here imagine lining up vs that SF defense with Jones, Funk or Calais in the backfield? Yikes. Even with starters blocking it would be run to the sideline and get crushed over and over.

Funk looks like a guy who "might" develop i guess, but i don't see it fellas. Not fast, not shifty, not strong. Showed some good hands and effort. Jones looks like JAG to me. Calais is a ST guy maybe.
I was underwhelmed as well, but you have to admit the run blocking was absolutely abysmal tonight. I'd have to see how these guys run with a little bit of daylight before writing them off completely.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even blurry this sideline reaction to the hurdle is priceless.

iuubftm9cgh71.jpg

MachS

Hall of Fame
Very hard to evaluate our running game with the OL playing as bad as it did. Very very disappointed in our run blocking, it was just horrendous. New OL coach with zero new talent, I really dont understand the OL strategy.

But I think Xavier Jones showed the best out of the backup RBs. Do think we definitely need to add a veteran back to that room. If Hendo goes down (history tells us he will at some point) I think our running game will be non existent. Funk is a practice squad body at best, Calais will be a ST weapon. Jones has potential but its not enough IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Enjoyed reading this thread and comments. :thumbsup1:

I haven’t watched the game yet... Will watch soon. 11pm start time here is brutal.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like Justin Lawler had a good game. Good for him - he's been through a lot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Five takeaways from Rams' preseason opener vs. Chargers​

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – While the Rams fell to the Chargers 13-6 on Saturday at SoFi Stadium, the contest still featured plenty of bright spots, including rookie linebacker Ernest Jones, the speed at punt returner, tight end Jacob Harris and more.

Here are five takeaways from the contest:

1) Linebacker Ernest Jones gets a big opportunity

Starting alongside Jake Gervase at inside linebacker, Jones wore the green dot for the Rams defense – meaning, he was their on-field defensive signal-caller – against the Chargers.

It's a responsibility that naturally carries a lot of weight, but it also says a lot about how much the Rams trust Jones.

2) Explosive speed at punt returner

Rams special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis said in February that "we've got to get a guy that can ring the bell and drop the ball over the goal line."

While none of the Rams' punt returners brought one back for a touchdown, they did display speed that would fit the above criteria.

Rookie wide receiver Tutu Atwell had a 20-yard punt return that, while negated by a holding penalty, still displayed the speed that was behind a reported 4.32-second 40-yard dash recorded at his pro day.

Similarly, running back Raymond Calais displayed the same speed and explosiveness that Rams general manager Les Snead called a "superpower" last September that made him an appealing addition to their roster with a 46-yard return that set the Rams up near midfield, and eventually, their first points of the game.

3) Justin Lawler shines at EDGE

In his first live game action since 2018 because of preseason injuries each of the previous two years, Lawler quickly made an impact. He was disruptive on the opening drive, pressuring Chargers quarterback Chase Daniels on 2nd and goal from the 2 to help the Rams defense hold them to three points.

On the Rams' second defensive series, he again pressured Daniels, then tackled Chargers running back Joshua Kelley for a three-yard loss on 3rd and 13, forcing the Chargers to punt from deep in their own territory.

Overall, Lawler finished with five total tackles (one for loss) and two QB hits.

4) Quarterback Bryce Perkins shines

Perkins was excited about the chance to showcase his arm and his legs, and he didn't disappoint Saturday night.

Helped by Calais' aforementioned punt return, he led the Rams on their first scoring drive, finding wide receiver Trishton Jackson for a four-yard touchdown pass.

In the fourth quarter, he used a stiff-arm to ward off one defender, then leapt over another with a hurdle to get a third-down conversion.

He completed 7 of 10 pass attempts for 42 yards in addition to that passing score, also rushing four times for 23 yards.

5) Tight end Jacob Harris translates training camp and OTAs to live game setting

As mentioned in Friday's Five Players to Watch piece, Harris was a standout during organized team activities, but Rams head coach Sean McVay also emphasized the importance of that showing up when the pads came on.

Well, against the Chargers on Saturday, Harris logged a team-high four catches for 43 yards, including a 13-yard grab where he spun out of a tackle to get the first down. He also showed good ball tracking on a deep pass from Hodges in the third quarter that, had he not caught it out of bounds, would've been a touchdown.

oldnotdead

Legend
Staley was overloading alternately both sides knowing Kolone was never going to see it or make the correct calls. There were free runners all over the place, the QBs didn't have time to read. I watched individual players ignoring the free runners. Jackson was showing much-improved footwork and technique. With continued coaching, he's going to be pretty good. There is no way I see Alaric Jackson not making the roster.

Anchrum showed a lot of improvement as well, with better technique. Brewer, Kolone, and Evans were getting overwhelmed and it was obvious they weren't ready for what Staley threw at them. It will be interesting to see what combinations Carberry will put out there. He's limited by McVay who will continue to hold out the top 35. Remember only 18 of the players in the game are going to make the roster. The game was played by mostly the bottom of the second string and then the rest of the roster cobbled together game by game.

McVay continues to think he can get a lead blocker out of a TE as he used Markway in his power runs with mixed results. I think they will look for a big RB or a FB on the release waiver wire to play short-yardage and as a lead blocker. Markway has the size but a lead blocker needs to hit the hole hard and he didn't. They need to coach him up or look for someone else. If McVay wants to use a TE size player, then Benny Sko would be a better fit. He's faster and quicker and a willing blocker. Using a LB would actually be the better option. Max Roberts would be a perfect example. He plays with power and knows how to use it to make bone-jarring hits and to play with leverage. He's got the quickness that you want in a FB and is the perfect size at 6'1" 256 lbs. Convert him to a FB as he's not likely to make the roster as a LB. You need someone used to playing with power and contact. If anyone can create a hole a LB like Roberts is who you want. Garrett flashed a couple of times so I'm pretty sure he's going to make the roster.

For the most part, the pieces look to be there, it simply has to be assembled and coached up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The good thing about not signing any one to help the RB room? You could have had an in his prime Marshall Faulk out there last night, and he wouldnt have done anything. O-line was atrocious and I think Staley dialed up the defense for this game much more than McVay dialed up the O
What I saw last night:
- ST on returns was great
- Kicking game was awful
- Funk showed some spunk
- Harris showed us the complete package, the good, the great, and the raw
- Koski made some grabs
- Atwell has speed to burn, and can be knocked over with a feather