Game Thread: Vikings @ Rams (2014 Game 1)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 talking about size:
Giving Tavon Austin a few carries a game out of the back-field seems like a great idea to me. If he can survive the WR position, he can certainly survive 3-5 carries as a HB.
I agree with that but it's tough for anyone to say that he was used to his full potential yesterday. I think that needs to be addressed and sooner rather than later IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with that but it's tough for anyone to say that he was used to his full potential yesterday. I think that needs to be addressed and sooner rather than later IMO.

Ya know, in terms of results, this is true. But in reviewing the plays, we were really close to two big plays. As I said in the other thread, if one guy executes their assignment better on each of those plays, Tavon has at least 10+ yard pick-up with a very real chance of breaking off a long TD. Hopefully our guys can shake off whatever it was plaguing them. Because they were well designed plays and we were oh so close to breaking a big one. When coach's film is released tomorrow, I'll be happy to post some shots that will allow better explanation.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Ya know, in terms of results, this is true. But in reviewing the plays, we were really close to two big plays. As I said in the other thread, if one guy executes their assignment better on each of those plays, Tavon has at least 10+ yard pick-up with a very real chance of breaking off a long TD. Hopefully our guys can shake off whatever it was plaguing them. Because they were well designed plays and we were oh so close to breaking a big one. When coach's film is released tomorrow, I'll be happy to post some shots that will allow better explanation.
With schotty, it seems, we are always close but no cigar..

Alan

Legend
jrry32 promising sweets:
When coach's film is released tomorrow, I'll be happy to post some shots that will allow better explanation.
I look forward to it. (y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With schotty, it seems, we are always close but no cigar..

Maybe, maybe not. But as an OC, you can't execute the plays. You can only draw them up. Those plays were drawn up perfectly well. They just weren't executed.

Now, if you asked me about my opinion on the way he designs his routes, I'd feel differently. Because I don't think he does as good of a job as he should at scheming guys open using the team concept with his routes and route tree on a given play. I see other teams do it extremely well and I think Schotty doesn't put as much emphasis on it as he should.

For example, Tavon's 81 yard TD last year came in a bunch formation where we had WRs running routes such that it made it difficult for the man defender to work his way through traffic to cover Tavon. And yet I don't recall ever seeing that type of play run since. It worked...why aren't you designing more plays like it?

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Maybe, maybe not. But as an OC, you can't execute the plays. You can only draw them up. Those plays were drawn up perfectly well. They just weren't executed.

Now, if you asked me about my opinion on the way he designs his routes, I'd feel differently. Because I don't think he does as good of a job as he should at scheming guys open using the team concept with his routes and route tree on a given play. I see other teams do it extremely well and I think Schotty doesn't put as much emphasis on it as he should.

For example, Tavon's 81 yard TD last year came in a bunch formation where we had WRs running routes such that it made it difficult for the man defender to work his way through traffic to cover Tavon. And yet I don't recall ever seeing that type of play run since. It worked...why aren't you designing more plays like it?

His play calling is so god awfully boring IMO. I was watching the game at a sports bar and i was more interested in watching other teams...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His play calling is so god awfully boring IMO. I was watching the game at a sports bar and i was more interested in watching other teams...

Probably would be a little more exciting if the offense/QB were better.