Frustration with Sammy Watkins and Other Thoughts Heading into the Bye

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I remember that play, and i said the same thing. What i think happened was he was beating peterson, but not by much. If he ran his route correct than the route might have entailed him to take that right sooner and Into the corner of the end zone. Peterson was a few steps behind him on his right and he may have feared that taking that right at that moment would close the gap between them, so he tried to fake him. Ended up slowing him down, but we don't know if he had not made the stutter if Peterson would have been even closer.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hate to make a complaint thread after a win, but if y'all bare with me, I think you'll see it's something more. As some have noticed, I've grown a bit frustrated with Sammy over the past few weeks due to his mental miscues. There was one specific play today that I griped about earlier, and I wanted to explain what I saw in hopes people will understand.

On our first drive after half, we had a 3rd and 6 from the Arizona 16. Goff lofted a pass into the end-zone, and unfortunately, nobody was there. It was clear the pass was intended for Watkins. The replay showed Watkins beating Peterson off the LOS badly with a great move when Peterson tried to jam him. Watkins then attempted to run a stutter-and-go while Goff threw the fade. This play forced us to settle for a FG.

I am not privy to the play-call on the play, so this is solely my opinion based on what I know of passing schemes and NFL offenses. It is my belief that Watkins ran the wrong route on the play. The route originally did call for Watkins to run a stutter-and-go, but that was if Peterson played off coverage. If Peterson pressed, my educated (or uneducated) opinion is that Watkins was supposed to convert his route to a fade. This is a pretty typical read that NFL WRs (and college WRs) are asked to make. If the defender comes down and presses you, you convert your route to a go route or a fade route (depending on where you are on the field). Goff threw it as if that was what he expected. It only makes sense because a double move just isn't that effective against a defender in press coverage.

My frustration stems from my belief that if Watkins had run that route based on how badly he beat Peterson off the LOS, he's got an easy TD. I think Sammy still hasn't gotten the offense down fully. I am hopeful that after the bye, he will have everything down and be comfortable.

I do want to make clear that I'm not frustrated with Sammy because I think he's a bad player. It's much the opposite. I have high expectations for him. I think he's one of the five most talented WRs in the NFL. I think he can be a true #1 and difference-maker for us if he gets it all together. He has a rare skill-set. I want to see that guy in our offense. That's why I'm so frustrated he hasn't appeared except for the SF game. I wasn't as high on Sammy coming out of college as a few on the board (*cough* RFIP *cough*), but I still thought he was one of the top talents in that stacked class (I just thought Evans and OBJ were closer in terms of talent to Sammy than some of his biggest fans did).

I still think Sammy is that same guy. He has blazing speed, he can win 50/50 balls, he runs like a HB with the ball in his hands, and he has the strength and agility to be a lethal route runner. I think if he catches up mentally, he can be a game-changer for us over the second half of the year. My hope is that during the bye, Goff and two reliable WRs (Kupp and Woods) will work with Sammy on the offense, and Goff will work with Sammy on building up some chemistry. Our offense is already dominating. Imagine what we could do with Sammy Watkins playing up to his potential. That will open up the deep ball and give us a major target in the red-zone. Also, I'd love for us to get Gerald Everett more involved in the offense in the second half of the season. He's such a talent.
Thanks for this ^^ Jrry32, I was wondering what happened on this play too! I noticed during the Play, That Watkins was Wide-Open when Goff thru it into the endzone, and I thought ' Why couldn't Watkins get further down field on the Plaay!?!' . I wondered IF Watkins was Doggin' it or what!

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Since when have we devolved into such delicate flowers that we can't handle it when someone explains what we're doing right or wrong? No, that's not too harsh, and I think that kind of talk would do him good. When you stop hearing constructive criticism and your role starts diminishing is when you ought to be concerned. At least that's how I take it.

I was being a bit facetious. I've read that he's unhappy with his number of targets. To me, it's just a matter of put up or shut up. If I'm Goff, I just tell him to start running the routes the way they're designed, and I'll start throwing the ball to you more often.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I think they focus on Watkins, Everett and Higbee alot during this bye week. We need them to be 100% from here on out, especially since our remaining schedule is much more favorable than what we've already gone through. If Higbee can use his size to create plays, Everett getting plays and creating those extra YAC's that he's known for, and Sammy being our #1 and deep threat...we'll be primed for a playoff run.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Now, I know that Sammy is a legit downfield threat and a good WR, but why don't we just get the ball in his hands? Scheme him some more screens and quick passes - he is lethal after the catch.

If that was so easy, there's this other guy we have...

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I remember that play, and i said the same thing. What i think happened was he was beating peterson, but not by much. If he ran his route correct than the route might have entailed him to take that right sooner and Into the corner of the end zone. Peterson was a few steps behind him on his right and he may have feared that taking that right at that moment would close the gap between them, so he tried to fake him. Ended up slowing him down, but we don't know if he had not made the stutter if Peterson would have been even closer.

when running a streak or fade vs press, once you beat the press you ideally want to stack the defender. meaning dont be inside or outside of the CB but directly in front of him so hes forced to move at your speed and have to go through your body (PI) to make a play on the ball if you position yourself correctly.

if Watkins stacks peterson after making him miss on the press, he not only is getting upfield and to the sideline faster, but in a position where peterson couldnt make any legal play on the ball with the way it was thrown. to me is was a very bad mistake by Watkins and really something he shouldnt have messed up, but maybe im out of my depth here

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK... I'll say it first... Sammy may be a bit of a head case. Just like in Buffalo. He's got 9 more games to figure it out, or he will be looking for another team next year. Personally, I think Josh Reynolds or Mike Thomas can take his place and be just as productive.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
when running a streak or fade vs press, once you beat the press you ideally want to stack the defender. meaning dont be inside or outside of the CB but directly in front of him so hes forced to move at your speed and have to go through your body (PI) to make a play on the ball if you position yourself correctly.

if Watkins stacks peterson after making him miss on the press, he not only is getting upfield and to the sideline faster, but in a position where peterson couldnt make any legal play on the ball with the way it was thrown. to me is was a very bad mistake by Watkins and really something he shouldnt have messed up, but maybe im out of my depth here
I watched the play about 6 times on the condensed game thread old school started (22.30 is the time where the play starts). He did get ahead of him, but it wasn't by much. Peterson was on his ass pretty much until the ball was thrown and then he cut off to the left making it look like watkins was wide open. I think if Sammy high tailed it, he may have out ran peterson to get open, but the only thing I can think of was Sammy didn't want to get tripped up on the route. So you are correct he could have beat Peterson and made him miss the press, but he didn't really pursue the endzone fast enough to beat the press.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
There was at least one time yesterday when Goff was flushed from the pocket and Watkins stopped his route and just stood their. Didn't even try to help his QB out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I hate to make a complaint thread after a win, but if y'all bare with me, I think you'll see it's something more. As some have noticed, I've grown a bit frustrated with Sammy over the past few weeks due to his mental miscues. There was one specific play today that I griped about earlier, and I wanted to explain what I saw in hopes people will understand.

On our first drive after half, we had a 3rd and 6 from the Arizona 16. Goff lofted a pass into the end-zone, and unfortunately, nobody was there. It was clear the pass was intended for Watkins. The replay showed Watkins beating Peterson off the LOS badly with a great move when Peterson tried to jam him. Watkins then attempted to run a stutter-and-go while Goff threw the fade. This play forced us to settle for a FG.

I am not privy to the play-call on the play, so this is solely my opinion based on what I know of passing schemes and NFL offenses. It is my belief that Watkins ran the wrong route on the play. The route originally did call for Watkins to run a stutter-and-go, but that was if Peterson played off coverage. If Peterson pressed, my educated (or uneducated) opinion is that Watkins was supposed to convert his route to a fade. This is a pretty typical read that NFL WRs (and college WRs) are asked to make. If the defender comes down and presses you, you convert your route to a go route or a fade route (depending on where you are on the field). Goff threw it as if that was what he expected. It only makes sense because a double move just isn't that effective against a defender in press coverage.

My frustration stems from my belief that if Watkins had run that route based on how badly he beat Peterson off the LOS, he's got an easy TD. I think Sammy still hasn't gotten the offense down fully. I am hopeful that after the bye, he will have everything down and be comfortable.

I do want to make clear that I'm not frustrated with Sammy because I think he's a bad player. It's much the opposite. I have high expectations for him. I think he's one of the five most talented WRs in the NFL. I think he can be a true #1 and difference-maker for us if he gets it all together. He has a rare skill-set. I want to see that guy in our offense. That's why I'm so frustrated he hasn't appeared except for the SF game. I wasn't as high on Sammy coming out of college as a few on the board (*cough* RFIP *cough*), but I still thought he was one of the top talents in that stacked class (I just thought Evans and OBJ were closer in terms of talent to Sammy than some of his biggest fans did).

I still think Sammy is that same guy. He has blazing speed, he can win 50/50 balls, he runs like a HB with the ball in his hands, and he has the strength and agility to be a lethal route runner. I think if he catches up mentally, he can be a game-changer for us over the second half of the year. My hope is that during the bye, Goff and two reliable WRs (Kupp and Woods) will work with Sammy on the offense, and Goff will work with Sammy on building up some chemistry. Our offense is already dominating. Imagine what we could do with Sammy Watkins playing up to his potential. That will open up the deep ball and give us a major target in the red-zone. Also, I'd love for us to get Gerald Everett more involved in the offense in the second half of the season. He's such a talent.
Even still, what what me even madder, is when Watkins didn't go for that deep ball that was almost picked off. You track the damn ball, you adjust, and you try to make a play. It's his overall lack of effort that is so disappointing to me. I'd rather see Thomas, or Reynolds at this point. They will at least play balls out. At this point, I'm done with Watkins and his lack of professionalism.

Maybe there is something to the concussion point. I don't know. I still want to see someone else. Not performing and lack of effort, is what it is. There is no hiding it, on an island,

bluecoconuts

Legend
If I'm Goff and McVay, I spend this entire break focusing on getting Watkins integrated into the playbook and comfortable in this offense. It's just so clear that he's still wondering on what to do on a lot of plays, I remember one in particular where Goff had to physically call Sammy out to get him to motion outside of the framework of the play and it clearly tipped the Cards off and Gurley got stopped for a short gain. Just a little thing, but it's been like that since he got here and Watkins' clear frustration on the field with his lack of targets is only making matters worse.

Watkins is just so talented if he and Goff get on the same page, it will take this offense to an entirely different level. Which is pretty ridiculous considering we're already the highest scoring offense in the league. :eek:

After the season though, I'm taking a good long look if he's a fit for this team. He's probably the only player I could point out right now as not having fully bought into the "we, not me" mentality.

The fact that Kupp has to tell Watkins what to do when Goff audibles is telling how comfortable Watkins is.

I just hope that doesn't mean he walks, because I think with a full off-season under his belt, he'll get it down and be huge for us.

James Otto

Starter
Maybe the Rams and McVay simply don't see Watkins as the type of receiver they want for this offense long term, especially with how they feel about Thomas and Reynolds. Or knowing how much he will cost. This may be as integrated as they want him to be. It's diappointing because I do believe he is an elite talent.

I, personally, am more concerned with Kupp's hands. I assume he'll improve his catch rate as he gets more comfortable to the NFL, but he's dropped alot of catchable passes.

Luckily, on defense, I only see a couple of under-achievers. The primary suspect is #22. Not sure if Barwin and Quinn are the future on the edge. Would really like to see Longacre eating some of their snaps, he's impressive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Going off memory here but I seem to recall a blitz being on during that play and I assumed at the time that Goff threw the fade as the hot adjustment. Not sure if McVay would have that be a hot route, but either way you can tell that Jared thought it was a fade on the call.

I am going to assume the mistake was on Sammy's part. Don't know, probably won't get to find out either. But yeah I agree the guy is clearly just going through the motions. At this point I'm pretty sure the Rams aren't going to try to sign him out the door, and if they do it will be on the affordable offer side so he's probably gone in FA. And he's not going to want to be part of an offense where the ball is spread around so much, as going back to McVay's two year run in Washington you can see that sub-1k yard receivers are the rule.

All that aside, there is a chance he can help us still this season down the stretch. Maybe he'll get used to being part of things. I hope so. Maybe he just doesn't know the offense cold yet. Either way I haven't washed my hands of him just yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I, personally, am more concerned with Kupp's hands. I assume he'll improve his catch rate as he gets more comfortable to the NFL, but he's dropped alot of catchable passes

Kupp's in a bit of a slump. But he's had a couple drops that were great defensive plays too, so he'll be fine. We don't have to sweat a guy with his work ethic IMO.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I appreciate you couching the OP like you did. It didn’t come off as a gripe or vent to me personally. I saw the same thing but I just thought Sammy was trying to get too cute on a fast developing play. It looked like he thought he would have time to stutter step and still be there for the fade. I see what you’re saying though. He misread the read and should have just headed to the corner of the end zone. He didn’t have Petersen beat by much but all he needed to do was get by him and there would have been nothing PP could do about it.

I’m a little frustrated by Sammy as I had really high hopes. But I think the Rams will work on him during the bye and he is going to start making some noise.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There was at least one time yesterday when Goff was flushed from the pocket and Watkins stopped his route and just stood their. Didn't even try to help his QB out.
And this is in a contract year! :eek:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think next game might tells us what we need to know. If he gets a lot more targets then they know they need to get him involved more. But if we see more of the same I gotta think they're not satisfied enough with him at the moment. Which would make me think they won't resign him if he doesn't come cheaper. Face it, his history indicates the "We not Me" mantra is not a strong point with him.

In my opinion I they should work harder to involve him more. He does have that kind of talent and and will be more engaged if he gets the targets. And don't want that trade to be one sided. They gave up a decent corner and lost depth to get a guy like Watkins. You have to at least try to make it work. If not, well, You'll have more money in next year's free agency period.