Frustration with Sammy Watkins and Other Thoughts Heading into the Bye

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate to make a complaint thread after a win, but if y'all bare with me, I think you'll see it's something more. As some have noticed, I've grown a bit frustrated with Sammy over the past few weeks due to his mental miscues. There was one specific play today that I griped about earlier, and I wanted to explain what I saw in hopes people will understand.

On our first drive after half, we had a 3rd and 6 from the Arizona 16. Goff lofted a pass into the end-zone, and unfortunately, nobody was there. It was clear the pass was intended for Watkins. The replay showed Watkins beating Peterson off the LOS badly with a great move when Peterson tried to jam him. Watkins then attempted to run a stutter-and-go while Goff threw the fade. This play forced us to settle for a FG.

I am not privy to the play-call on the play, so this is solely my opinion based on what I know of passing schemes and NFL offenses. It is my belief that Watkins ran the wrong route on the play. The route originally did call for Watkins to run a stutter-and-go, but that was if Peterson played off coverage. If Peterson pressed, my educated (or uneducated) opinion is that Watkins was supposed to convert his route to a fade. This is a pretty typical read that NFL WRs (and college WRs) are asked to make. If the defender comes down and presses you, you convert your route to a go route or a fade route (depending on where you are on the field). Goff threw it as if that was what he expected. It only makes sense because a double move just isn't that effective against a defender in press coverage.

My frustration stems from my belief that if Watkins had run that route based on how badly he beat Peterson off the LOS, he's got an easy TD. I think Sammy still hasn't gotten the offense down fully. I am hopeful that after the bye, he will have everything down and be comfortable.

I do want to make clear that I'm not frustrated with Sammy because I think he's a bad player. It's much the opposite. I have high expectations for him. I think he's one of the five most talented WRs in the NFL. I think he can be a true #1 and difference-maker for us if he gets it all together. He has a rare skill-set. I want to see that guy in our offense. That's why I'm so frustrated he hasn't appeared except for the SF game. I wasn't as high on Sammy coming out of college as a few on the board (*cough* RFIP *cough*), but I still thought he was one of the top talents in that stacked class (I just thought Evans and OBJ were closer in terms of talent to Sammy than some of his biggest fans did).

I still think Sammy is that same guy. He has blazing speed, he can win 50/50 balls, he runs like a HB with the ball in his hands, and he has the strength and agility to be a lethal route runner. I think if he catches up mentally, he can be a game-changer for us over the second half of the year. My hope is that during the bye, Goff and two reliable WRs (Kupp and Woods) will work with Sammy on the offense, and Goff will work with Sammy on building up some chemistry. Our offense is already dominating. Imagine what we could do with Sammy Watkins playing up to his potential. That will open up the deep ball and give us a major target in the red-zone. Also, I'd love for us to get Gerald Everett more involved in the offense in the second half of the season. He's such a talent.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
If I'm Goff and McVay, I spend this entire break focusing on getting Watkins integrated into the playbook and comfortable in this offense. It's just so clear that he's still wondering on what to do on a lot of plays, I remember one in particular where Goff had to physically call Sammy out to get him to motion outside of the framework of the play and it clearly tipped the Cards off and Gurley got stopped for a short gain. Just a little thing, but it's been like that since he got here and Watkins' clear frustration on the field with his lack of targets is only making matters worse.

Watkins is just so talented if he and Goff get on the same page, it will take this offense to an entirely different level. Which is pretty ridiculous considering we're already the highest scoring offense in the league. :eek:

After the season though, I'm taking a good long look if he's a fit for this team. He's probably the only player I could point out right now as not having fully bought into the "we, not me" mentality.

jap

Legend
We did get Sammy rather late. It would have been nice if Les had settled the deal with the Bills months earlier so Sammy could have progressed in the new offense at the same speed as the other fly guys. I'm hoping Robert takes his ex-Bills teammate under his wing and they work out some extra training sessions with Jared so we can start exploding in the second half of the season.

Luckily, our London game happened just before our bye week (Week Eight) so the general temporal discombobulation suffered by other teams following London games will not affect us in Week Nine. Sully and other Horns who got nicked up have two full weeks to bounce back. The Giants games are always physical so we better be ready to knock horns with the G-men after the bye.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We did get Sammy rather late. It would have been nice if Les had settled the deal with the Bills months earlier so Sammy could have progressed in the new offense at the same speed as the other fly guys. I'm hoping Robert takes his ex-Bills teammate under his wing and they work out some extra training sessions with Jared so we can start exploding in the second half of the season.

Luckily, our London game happened just before our bye week (Week Eight) so the general temporal discombobulation suffered by other teams following London games will not affect us in Week Nine. Sully and other Horns who got nicked up have two full weeks to bounce back. The Giants games are always physical so we better be ready to knock horns with the G-men after the bye.
im pretty sure every team in the london game get a bye the week after

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
said the same thing when I watched the replay. I have no clue why in the world he would stutter after already beating the press. and while not fully knowing the offense yet could be his issue thus far this season, IMO theres no excuse for that play there. thats a JV mistake, not an NFL mistake.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Whenever Goff audibles pre snap Watkins is still the one guy(mostly) that needs help getting set.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, he biffed that route for sure. Here's hoping they get on the same page over the bye.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Scary good to think how effective this offense would be with a fully integrated Sammy Watkins.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Agree with everything on Watkins. It's frustrating to see at least one instance in every game where the ball goes sailing into an empty space where Watkins is supposed to be. I've watched him run wrong routes and I've watched him just give up on the route. Maybe the coaches need to sit down with him and go over the video of these "hiccups" and let Sammy figure out why he doesn't see more targets. Too severe?

An observation I've made about another receiver is this: any time Austin heads to the right side on a jet sweep or a quick sideline pass, he takes the three or four yards before contact and steps out of bounds. I understand that he doesn't want to take more punishment than necessary, but, just once, I would love to see him plant that right foot and juke back to the inside. Of course, the next time he's out there, he gets blown up, but I would still love to see him put that shadow of a doubt back into the defenders thoughts.

And Mr. Woods...keep doing that thing you do.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I read that play the same way and came to the same conclusion. I think Sammy needs more time in the system it is the subtleties that take a bit to master. He is blocking well and as long as he does not get frustrated with the process he will be a factor down the stretch.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Whenever Goff audibles pre snap Watkins is still the one guy(mostly) that needs help getting set.

This and I think it's the major issue. When asked when he was acquired Watkins stated, it would not take him long to get acclimated to the offense, but I disagree. Add in that Goff trusts Woods & Kupp and IMO, Watkins seems not to be on the same page as Goff so with the bye week, one can hope that Watkins improves in this area and is able to be freed up more and the Rams hit more big plays down the field.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
This and I think it's the major issue. When asked when he was acquired Watkins stated, it would not take him long to get acclimated to the offense, but I disagree. Add in that Goff trusts Woods & Kupp and IMO, Watkins seems not to be on the same page as Goff so with the bye week, one can hope that Watkins improves in this area and is able to be freed up more and the Rams hit more big plays down the field.
Wilkins said it would take him a week and a half to grasp the offense. :thinking:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

I can remember questioning it when he commented that he'd have it down in about a week or so - I thought it would take longer, as long as he keeps working with McVay, Yarber and Goff he'll get there.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Agree with everything on Watkins. It's frustrating to see at least one instance in every game where the ball goes sailing into an empty space where Watkins is supposed to be. I've watched him run wrong routes and I've watched him just give up on the route. Maybe the coaches need to sit down with him and go over the video of these "hiccups" and let Sammy figure out why he doesn't see more targets. Too severe?

An observation I've made about another receiver is this: any time Austin heads to the right side on a jet sweep or a quick sideline pass, he takes the three or four yards before contact and steps out of bounds. I understand that he doesn't want to take more punishment than necessary, but, just once, I would love to see him plant that right foot and juke back to the inside. Of course, the next time he's out there, he gets blown up, but I would still love to see him put that shadow of a doubt back into the defenders thoughts.

And Mr. Woods...keep doing that thing you do.
Since when have we devolved into such delicate flowers that we can't handle it when someone explains what we're doing right or wrong? No, that's not too harsh, and I think that kind of talk would do him good. When you stop hearing constructive criticism and your role starts diminishing is when you ought to be concerned. At least that's how I take it.

fearsomefour

Legend
Noticed that a couple of times yeaterday....after the audible him asking the WR next to him.....or coming in to Goff. I assume for clarification.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wilkins said it would take him a week and a half to grasp the offense. :thinking:
There is a difference between knowing the O and being in the same page with sight/line adjustments. The playbook is also changing all the time I'm sure. Not worried about Watkins at all.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Look, its taken the whole team 6 weeks of the regular season to really start jelling in all three phases of the game. We've seen all 3 have problems. This Cards game is the 1st where they all really played well at the same time.

Just saying, lets give Sammy a break, he's the last piece of the O puzzle that was the last to be added and he hasn't had the TC or pre-season everyone else has had.

He'll be fine with more time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I find puzzling is that he didn’t have issues with learning the system or being accustomed to it in the first 3 games when he had 13 catches on 14 targets for 200 yards and 2 td.
What did that concussion contain amnesia as well? Just doesn’t seem the same player since imo