Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The decision on Sully will be about us getting more physical up the middle on the OL. When Sully played well this line could dictate the run, when he couldn't they struggled. Now granted Blythe struggled too in the Super Bowl, but overall I think one of the biggest questions with this team is its ability to dictate the run.

Going younger at Center is going to happen I think. Also think right now the Rams are going to do what they can to get Saff to return. It's entirely possible this is our OL next year:

LT: Whit (extension)
LG: Saff
C: Allen
RG: Boom
RT: Havenstein

The thing with Saff is I can't see them actually improving in physicality if he leaves in FA. If he does...

LG: Boom
RG: Blythe
RT: Havenstein.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The decision on Sully will be about us getting more physical up the middle on the OL. When Sully played well this line could dictate the run, when he couldn't they struggled. Now granted Blythe struggled too in the Super Bowl, but overall I think one of the biggest questions with this team is its ability to dictate the run.

Going younger at Center is going to happen I think. Also think right now the Rams are going to do what they can to get Saff to return. It's entirely possible this is our OL next year:

The thing with Saff is I can't see them actually improving in physicality if he leaves in FA. If he does...

Don't disagree with the concept of getting stronger up the middle for the run, and replacing Sully (age). I'm not sold on Allen as a starter, and Blythe causes me nightmares when I remember how he was killed by bigger, stronger men in the Super Bowl.It was demoralizing to me to see him manhandled like that and has always been a fear of mine when knowing how small an Olineman he is.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I’ve got a big problem with the “when he’s motivated” part.

In fact, it really pisses me off. And for $14 million? Geez...

This draft is reportedly loaded with players that can replace the “regular season” Suh, and for a helluva lot less than his $14 million, too.

No brainer. Suh’s gone.

Unfortunately, we are not lodes with picks. We can’t create more holes than we have the ability to fill.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The Rams 2019 OL will have a new look. Kromer stands to loose either 1 or 2 of his starters. Sullivan weakness is in pass protection but is not consistent in his run blocking either in 2018. Rams are in good condition IF it's mandated that the center post be upgraded & generally improved overall.

Blythe is younger 26 & entering his 4th NFL season. AB has ton of center playing time in college & with the Colts & Rams. AB skills & talents are better served playing center than RG. AB size 6-2 1/2 298 lbs also fits the OC post better too. I would also stress the fact that AD is highly smart & more than capable now of making the proper calls that are needed.

I would hope that Kromer pushed to have AB start @ OC from the initial spring OTA's summer TC & preseason. AB will also be entering his last season under Rams contract. Snead & Mcvay need to have a full season with AB @ OC to fully determine his future here as the Rams starting center pass 2019 season. If the Rams lose Saffold then Sullivan may be retained as the backup OC in 2019. Snead has enough young talent under contract to still field a decent OL with the two holes @ both OG posts. Brian Allen(LG/RG/OC), Jamil Demby (RG/LG/RT), Joe Noteboom(LT/LG), Darrell Williams(RT/RG) & Aaron Nearly(LG/OC) all of whom can start @ both OG posts in 2019.

Without Sullivan & Saffold
Whitworth 6-7/330 / Noteboom/ Murphy
Noteboom 6-5/321 / Allen/ Neary
Blythe 6-2/298 / Allen/ Neary
Demby 6-5 330 / Allen/ Williams
Havenstein 6-8/330 / Williams/ Murphy

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
i would really like to see Allen beat out Blythe
train
IMO, It will be hard for Brian Allen to beat out Austin Blythe @ the starting center post due to the lack of starting experience in the NFL.

Allen, who would most likely be more involved in fighting for the open OG positions @ RG & LG. Allen stands a better chance to win a starting post in his 2nd season @ OG. However, after that experience is obtained as a starter @ OG then he would offer up a better fight @ OC in 2020.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately, we are not lodes with picks. We can’t create more holes than we have the ability to fill.
Actually, we are pretty good for picks.

After the comp picks are formally announced we will have the following picks (by round):
1 3 3 4 5 6 7.

So essentially, we were down a second rounder, but have an extra third. With the depth of this draft, with no trades, we should come out of it with a starter, two or three rotational guys, and more depth.

I'm not upset with that at all.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

After the comp picks are formally announced we will have the following picks (by round):
1 3 3 4 5 6 7.

So essentially, we were down a second rounder, but have an extra third. With the depth of this draft, with no trades, we should come out of it with a starter, two or three rotational guys, and more depth.

Yeah seven picks in a seven round draft is good not sure where the narrative comes from.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO, It will be hard for Brian Allen to beat out Austin Blythe @ the starting center post due to the lack of starting experience in the NFL.

Disagree Boni. Allen's tough, he' s a scrapper and he's also smart. He is going to start at either Center or OG for us next year IMO. He's had plenty of time to learn the ropes under a very good OL coach, he'll be ready to rock and roll next year.

Blythe might have experience at Center but he's been a better OG than he ever was snapping the ball.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Looks like Sam Shields wants to stay in horns. Article on NFL.com today

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ields-beat-all-odds-now-wants-to-remain-in-la

Around the NFL
Sam Shields 'beat all odds,' now wants to remain in L.A.

0ap1000000236552.jpg

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Feb. 11, 2019 at 07:47 a.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 11, 2019 at 08:15 a.m.
Sam Shields' return to football after missing almost two full seasons due to concussion issues flew under the radar most of the 2018 season as he helped the Los Angeles Rams make it to the Super Bowl.

Now that he's returned, the 31-year-old cornerback isn't thinking about retirement.

"Man, it's a blessing. Just a dream -- what I went through, getting to where I got to in the Super Bowl, just the whole season, what I accomplished -- not giving up, going through the mental part of it, I beat all odds," Shields told the team's official website. "And I feel myself again. I feel like I want to keep going some more."

Shields was one of just four Rams players to have previously played in a Super Bowl before the 13-3 loss to the New England Patriots. Spending his first seven years with the Green Bay Packers, where he won a Lombardi Trophy as a rookie, Shields played just one game in 2016 and missed all of the 2017 campaign.

The veteran signed in L.A. last offseason to provide depth. He played a significant role as the Rams dealt with an injury to Aqib Talib during the middle portion of the 2018 slate. When the Rams CB trio of Talib, Marcus Peters and Nickell Robey-Coleman was healthy, Shields was relegated to special team's duty. Shields didn't play a single defensive snap during the playoffs, while taking part in 55 special teams plays, per Next Gen Stats.

Without a contract for 2019, Shields would like to remain in L.A., if the Rams can fit him in their plans.

"For sure, you know, whatever it takes," Shields said. "I know how this business is, so if it's right, it's right -- I'll be back. But business is business."

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

1 3 3 4 5 6 7.

How are we getting two 3rd round compensatory picks?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TruJ and Watkins.. may get another one for safety (white dude, name slips my mind)
Cody Davis nets us a 7th, we almost had another for Carrier.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
i would really like to see Allen beat out Blythe
train

Allen, who would most likely be more involved in fighting for the open OG positions @ RG & LG. Allen stands a better chance to win a starting post in his 2nd season @ OG. However, after that experience is obtained as a starter @ OG then he would offer up a better fight @ OC in 2020.

Allen will get a shot. I think it will be for Sullivan. Both Sullivan and Blythe have had some trouble so both will be challenged. Hard to keep Sullivan at his cap hit and lesser play but, hard to let him go with line calls a veteran leadership. They didn't draft Allen as a backup though. I could see the Rams having competition for both spots.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Disagree Boni. Allen's tough, he' s a scrapper and he's also smart. He is going to start at either Center or OG for us next year IMO. He's had plenty of time to learn the ropes under a very good OL coach, he'll be ready to rock and roll next year.

Blythe might have experience at Center but he's been a better OG than he ever was snapping the ball.
I am not being negative on Allen. Just think Allen will be a better prospect at one of the open OG posts than Blythe.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I openly wonder if Allen's height could be an issue moving fwd, despite his wrestling background.