Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its crossed my mind that Brockers being cut may be a possibility... John Franklin-Myers looks really solid as a rookie...

it would be sad, but I wouldn't be surprised...

Yeah, I'm on the fence with Brockers.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
BTW, I don't think we get a comp pick if we lose Fowler. From everything I read you have to play in 10 regular season games. This was first mentioned in regards to Anderson who only played 2 games with the Rams.

Well, from what I recall, Fowler came here when the Rams were 8-0. So he only played 8 game's.

So might factor into resigning him since they gain nothing if he walks... Of course assuming he does not get grossly overpaid.

Also, Sullivan is on the books now for $6M next year according to Over the Cap website. They added a $2M roster bonus.

So cutting him saves $5M.. So he's gone.

Also thinking Whitworth will be gone or only back if he takes a pay cut.

Rams now listed as only $29.7M under the cap, so they will be looking to clear space to be very aggressive again to get back to the SB while Goff is on his rookie deal one more year.

So at min axing Sullivan and Barron get them back to about $40M... Would not be surprised if their goal is about $50M.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I am curious if the games played is being confused? Is it playing the next year after you leave or is it playing for the team that loses you and whether that qualifies that tean for getting a pick?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I am curious if the games played is being confused? Is it playing the next year after you leave or is it playing for the team that loses you and whether that qualifies that tean for getting a pick?
If the rule is 8 games, then technically Fowler played in 11 games including playoffs? Idk the rule but there is that.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
Im sorry yall i think they value Sullivan too much to release him i dont see him going anywhere

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll leave the cuts and contracts to the professionals. In Wade and Snead I trust. Still too numb to even think about this, but I commend you folks for moving on.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its crossed my mind that Brockers being cut may be a possibility... John Franklin-Myers looks really solid as a rookie...

it would be sad, but I wouldn't be surprised...

I really HATE post like this !! I’ll back Caps caps Michael BROCKERS all day long !!

I could be wrong ?

I really don’t understand the thinking a ALL!!!
He is such team player & is everything McVay is ALL about. I really don’t think some Ram fans just get the culture that is being built.

People that bring up Ogletree,don’t look at Mark Barron. Ogltree could have walked. The Rams got a 4th rd pick in there trade.

Brain Allen or John Meyer/Franklin
Plus one of 6th’s for a 7th.
The Rams just Accumulated a bunch of pics last year.

If you don’t cut Mark Barron & franchise Joyner what does that tell you ?

To me with a weak DL with no size, you cut your DEFENSE LEADER !! PERFECT!!

I love what Brockers brings to The Rams organization. I believe Wade & Sean McVay do as well.Les Snead knows who the first player he ever selected as a GM is !! I’m sure Jevon Demoff has no problem right that check either.Stan understands the investment.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Im sorry yall i think they value Sullivan too much to release him i dont see him going anywhere

Sullivan is a class act. I do know The Rams still have Nearing, Allen, & Blythe still in the roster going into camp. The depth is there at center. -

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
BTW, I don't think we get a comp pick if we lose Fowler. From everything I read you have to play in 10 regular season games. This was first mentioned in regards to Anderson who only played 2 games with the Rams.

Well, from what I recall, Fowler came here when the Rams were 8-0. So he only played 8 game's.

So might factor into resigning him since they gain nothing if he walks... Of course assuming he does not get grossly overpaid.

Also, Sullivan is on the books now for $6M next year according to Over the Cap website. They added a $2M roster bonus.

Rams now listed as only $29.7M under the cap, so they will be looking to clear space to be very aggressive again to get back to the SB while Goff is on his rookie deal one more year.

So at min axing Sullivan and Barron get them back to about $40M... Would not be surprised if their goal is about $50M.
Excellent post! Good observation on the subject of ER Dante Fowler Jr. in looking @ the detailed specifics on a question if DF meets the rule on awarded comp picks (if he signs elsewhere). I agree if DF does not figure in on awarded compensation it might be a bit more positive on DF remaining a Ram in 2019. However, I believe DF will be very active traveling from NFL team to team during FA'cy & DF will be overpaid & get a long term contract by an NFL team other than the Rams.

If both DF & Anderson does not qualify for Comp picks that leaves just 3 UFA's Suh-Joyner & Saffold.

On center, John Sullivan's 2019 cap amounts differ between OTC Over The Cap & Spotrac Cap Tracker.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/john-sullivan-4769/#
https://overthecap.com/player/john-sullivan/1786/

OTC says if Sullivan becomes a cap casualty that this action will have an added Rams cap $$ value of $5.25 million. Since JS was the weak link in the Rams OL in 2018 in pass protection his starting post would be a area that the Rams Org should plan to upgrade this upcoming season. When you consider the added cap $$, JS future as a Ram, under this contract does not look good.

Do you really think the Rams will ask Andrew Whitworth to take a pay cut? I don't. If AW does decide to retire the Rams will have an added cap value of $11.5 mil. If you subtract cap $$ from Sullivan, Whitworth & Barron you would add back over $23 million to the cap of $29.7 mil. gets the Rams back up to over $52 million of available cap space.

If the above were to occur that would force the Rams to tag Saffold.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I could see re-structure with Whitworth.

Add a year to his deal, cut his base abd give him a bonus that spreads out his hit this year into next year and take the hit next year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If the rule is 8 games, then technically Fowler played in 11 games including playoffs? Idk the rule but there is that.

On "OverTheCap" it states regular season games.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Allen was drafted for a reason last year and as it was he may have been a slight reach as they felt they needed to groom a new starter.

Ram65

Legend
Let's hope Whitworth stays. They could considering adding a year to save cap space.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/

The Rams spent a lot of that cap money on Cooks, Gurley and Havenstein last year. Havenstein only got a 800K signing bonus so they could covert some of his 2019 cap hit to signing bonus saving some space.

There doesn't look like a lot of places to save cap space. Sullivan would be a hard one to cut but, Allen should be ready so that saves some money. I posted possibly keeping Barron at a lower rate but IDK. Thought Brockers was a high cost for production. It's going to be a weird off season with lower draft placement and tough cuts pending.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sullivan is old, but so knowledgable. He helps Goff with line calls, and I know that we'll miss him if he is let go. Brian Allen has not installed confidence in me, as I have seen him get overwhelmed and taken advantage of. In the Super Bowl, Austin Blythe was moved around like a boy and Goff suffered for it, so I don't know if Blythe could hold up under center.we are in a pickle because I don't think Sully is strong enough anymore. We need to draft a stud center who can't be moved.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think restructuring Brockers and Whitworth is in play to free up some cash

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sullivan is old, but so knowledgable. He helps Goff with line calls, and I know that we'll miss him if he is let go. Brian Allen has not installed confidence in me, as I have seen him get overwhelmed and taken advantage of. In the Super Bowl, Austin Blythe was moved around like a boy and Goff suffered for it, so I don't know if Blythe could hold up under center.we are in a pickle because I don't think Sully is strong enough anymore. We need to draft a stud center who can't be moved.
Rams just signed another center Aaron Neary who has been a Ram since the 2017 season began, plus they have the young veteran Austin Blythe who will be 27 & entering his 4th season plus Snead 2018 draft selection stout 6-1 305 lbs Brian Allen who is 23 yrs old & will enter his 2nd season to go with Sullivan. Looks thick to me.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The 10 game rule applies to next season.
So in CJ case, if he signs elsewhere, the Rams will be eligible to get comp pick consideration as long as he plays in at least 10 games with his new team next year

Update on the 10-week provision: If CJ Anderson signs with another team this winter and is on that team’s roster for 10 weeks, he counts towards a compensatory draft pick for LA. If he signs during the winter and then is released prior to Week 10, he wouldn’t count for LA. https://t.co/PwH0zKwpHc

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 6, 2019

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The 10 game rule applies to next season.
So in CJ case, if he signs elsewhere, the Rams will be eligible to get comp pick consideration as long as he plays in at least 10 games with his new team next year

Update on the 10-week provision: If CJ Anderson signs with another team this winter and is on that team’s roster for 10 weeks, he counts towards a compensatory draft pick for LA. If he signs during the winter and then is released prior to Week 10, he wouldn’t count for LA. https://t.co/PwH0zKwpHc

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 6, 2019

Okay that makes more sense. I was wondering if it was confused with what a "lost player" does the next year.

Then if the Rams have confidence in their own recent draft picks like Obo, Kiser, Joseph-Day, Allen, Kelly, etc... they could lose a few guys and take in some comp picks next year. Which is big for a team that will start having some cap issues.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sam Shields would like to continue playing, and welcome to a return to L.A.
Sunday, Feb 10, 2019

https://www.therams.com/news/sam-sh...ntinue-playing-and-welcome-to-a-return-to-l-a
Cornerback Sam Shields signed with the Rams just over a year ago in March of 2018, after essentially two years out of football due to injury.With Los Angeles also acquiring corners Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters via trade, Shields knew he’d be mostly playing on special teams in 2018 — though he could contribute as a depth piece.

hpmjhmncdkapse8m025b.jpg

That came to be throughout the year, with Shields ending up playing 49 percent of special teams snaps and 34 percent of defensive snaps.But more than that, Shields was able to get through the entire season healthy. And that was a significant accomplishment for the 31-year-old corner.

“Man, it’s a blessing. Just a dream — what I went through, getting to where I got to in the Super Bowl, just the whole season, what I accomplished — not giving up, going through the mental part of it, I beat all odds,” Shields said. “And I feel myself again. I feel like I want to keep going some more.”Prior to the Super Bowl, special teams coordinator John Fassel praised Shields for the way he came in and contributed as a veteran.“I didn’t have any idea what he would be like with his history as a starting corner on a Super Bowl team. A lot of times, you get a 31 or 32 year old and it’s [like], ‘Special teams? I’m past that.’ And gosh he has embraced whatever we’ve asked him to do,” Fassel said. “He has been a great teammate, leader — blessing for me, where we haven’t had a lot of veterans come in and perform on special teams. We usually grow our own Rams on special teams, and then like Cory Littleton, you become a starting linebacker. But I’m almost lost for words what he’s meant on special teams and for our team — just a teammate, leader.”

So as Shields said, he would like to continue playing now that he’s gone through a season healthy. And while he realizes the realities of the NFL, he would welcome a return to L.A. in 2019.“For sure, you know, whatever it takes,” Shields said. “I know how this business is, so if it’s right, it’s right — I’ll be back. But business is business.”