Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
How about a FB or convert Anderson to FB if he comes back?

McVay needs a 2nd or 3rd pitch to throw when a team takes away his fastball.
I thought that would have been one of those obvious new wrinkles to throw in that Billy Belly wouldn't have tape on, but I guess not.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
There's no way Anderson comes back. He played his way into a feature back role somewhere. A team like Tampa, Philly or Oakland will throw money at him.

The rest:

Joyner is gone. Good riddance
Fowler is gone, someone will pay him. I'm unhappy about this. His stats didn't tell the whole story. I think he stabilized our D really well
Suh is very likely gone unless he's going to continue "Karl Maloning" it trying to get a ring. And even then, I could see him going to Chicago or Kansas City.
Easley will likely re-sign
Shields, we need to bring him back
Mannion probably comes back just because he's familiar with the system
Hill is thankfully restricted
Ditto Brown (cause we're losing CJ)
Triple Ditto Littleton
I don't see a way we're going to let Saffold walk. Which, unfortunately, means we're probably going to overpay him to the tune of something north of what the Lions gave TJ Lang

Brockers is interesting. He'll probably get an extension rather than cut, to make his cap number more manageable. There's no way in hell we let Suh AND Brockers go, though.

There's no way we're letting Peters just walk, paid too much for him. Plus, this team needs to figure out who the hell he is. He was a shutdown number 1, but a headcase in Kansas City. He was on his best behavior here, but clearly regressed for reasons I don't know that anybody understands.

dang

Legend
So in the end it was the OL and EDGE rushing that appears to be the most vulnerable. Retention of what worked and addition of what was lacking thru FA/Draft along with a stud ILB seem to be the biggest needs.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We need to keep Fowler if at all possible. Overpay him if we have to on a one or two year deal, just long enough to find out if our younger edge rushers can replace him or not. We had zero outside rush without him. That won't do next season.

Saffold needs to be re-signed obviously.

Suh was an absolute monster this post-season. And his play in the regular season, although middling in my opinion using the "eye-test" (and in the opinion of most other fans it seems) actually graded out very well according to PFF. I think he is gone, but I certainly wouldn't mind him back. If he leaves we can definitely use that money elsewhere. Not to fussed about whichever direction happens.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Peters, stays he played well down the stretch and it seems wade and MP are finally on the same page
Brockers, or Suh need to stay losing both hurts
Fowler, I would like to see for another year but it will take a longer commitment to keep him
Littleton, is interesting going to have to wait and see what his price is

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marcus Peters isn't going anywhere. Littleton is a RFA. He's staying. My guess is that we give him a first or second round tender. I would bring Saffold back for sure. I would bring Fowler and C.J. Anderson back for the right price. I'd also bring Sam Shields back if he's cheap again. Joyner is gone. I feel no ill will. He just didn't perform well enough this year. Suh is likely gone. I don't think he takes another one year deal. I'd keep Brockers with Suh walking.

As for the others, I'd let them all go (well, I'd let the UFAs go). I would keep Brown if C.J. leaves, though. And I might keep Ethan Westbrooks for the right price.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Its gonna be interesting to see who really believes in the culture McVay and company are trying to create and who just wants the pay check. Personally, i think a few will stay and take a pay cut in order to keep playing on a super bowl caliber team along with a great culture and location.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
7 = Barron cut, he never has earned his contract. We need an ILB with a little more umph and weight on him that isn’t so easily pushed around by linemen and tight ends.

I have read something similar to this in a few other posts. I think that Wade's action's speak louder than words. He covets coverage ability over run-stuffing. The Rams got to the Superbowl with (2) undersized middle LB's. Do you think he is going to change that philosophy now?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
OK just to clarify again, I'm not advocating Brockers being cut. But to pretend it's not a possibility seems naive. Brockers since his being picked has been one of if not my absolute favorite Ram.

With RESPECT!! Naive is thinking Brockers is going to get cut under Sean McVay & what The Rams are building as a organization.

Brockers is a Team Captain & a Leader if this team. He was the first pick under Les Snead !!

He is a class act & a We type Player. I find it a farce , unless he does something stupid in the offseason to embyrhe organization.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Without Suh he's a difference maker. My point is losing both would hurt.

I think that JFM would take Brockers' place on the D-line. And it's a really good class of D-linemen in this year's draft - and that's not even getting to the possibility of future roster cuts that we could take advantage of, like we did with Suh.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As for keeping players, I'd definitely keep Fowler and Littleton. Hell, I'd give Littleton an extension; he's by far our best linebacker, and by far made the most plays in the Super Bowl.

Saffold, I'd keep...for the right price. If he wants a multi-year deal, I'd let him go. I know that he's stayed healthy the last two years for the most part, but can we really trust a thirty-one-year-old offensive lineman with multiple injury concerns?

I'd try to trade Barron before I cut him. If not, then cut him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With RESPECT!! Naive is thinking Brockers is going to get cut under Sean McVay & what The Rams are building as a organization.

Brockers is a Team Captain & a Leader if this team. He was the first pick under Les Snead !!

He is a class act & a We type Player. I find it a farce , unless he does something stupid in the offseason to embyrhe organization.
You really want to read something I'm not saying here so I'm just going to drop this discussion with you since you can't understand a simple concept.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Something something Alec Ogletree.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Something something Alec Ogletree.

So I guess The Rams will trade Brokers ?
Like they don’t need a DL ? Could happen !
Will see, but not holding my breathe.

—Truth is there is a team that would want M. Brockers for his salary cap. At what trade value I don’t know.

Ogletree was traded because of salary cap space vs value. They ate Barrons contract this season as well as over paying Joyner. They got caught with out any DB’s. Got lucky to trade for Peters & Talib !! Those 2 CB’s are good together. I don’t see Peters getting cut either, who I would say goes before Brokers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Based on the Rams recent approach to free agency I'd assume that they will be looking to maximize top level compensatory picks. That means Suh, Joyner, and Fowler will be evaluated as cost of resigning + lost picks. If the Rams have decided to pursue top level UFAs themselves, that changes the equation a bit.

I'm guessing they plan to continue that strategy through 2020 as well. That likely means they expect to recoup a 3rd or 4th round pick for Peters eventually. If someone were willing to give up a 3rd round pick for him, I guess the Rams would listen, but that would mean they would need to go out and find a starting corner somewhere. It's not so easy to do. I expect that Peters will start one more season and they draft someone with an eye towards 2020.
The best 2 teams in the NFL Rams & Pats were the top NFL teams who stand to be awarded the highest amount in value compensatory picks in the upcoming 2019 NFL Draft. Snead has done outstanding in signing UFA's who are (#1)-Cap Casualties (#2)- Contracts acquired via trade. (both do not count against the comp pick formula). Do we expect Snead to change & go out sign a bunch of UFA's??

Or do we believe Snead will once again have as his goal looking for additional compensatory picks in the 2020 draft ...going about by nonaction during the early first high-cost phase of the FA'cy period. Instead of preying on need positional players who end up as Cap Casualties & trading for needed positions on players who are still under contracts?

Would you think these four below current Rams (who will be 2019 UFA's whose contract had expired) will be the identified as Qualifying UFAs for Comp picks? In 2019 it's estimated he will be awarded 3 (two 3rds & a 7th) for Johnson/Watkins/Davis. I inserted the guesstimated suggested UFA Market Value?

FS-Lamarcus Joyner $10.6 mil a yr. {$APY net'd a 3rd Comp pick in 2018}
DL-Ndamukong Suh $9.3 mil a yr. {$APY net'd a 4th rd Comp pick in 2018}
OG-Rodger Saffold $ 8.1 mil a yr.(estimate) {$APY net'd a 4th Comp pick in 2018}
ER-Dante Fowler $8.0 mil a yr.(estimate) {$APY net'd a 4th rd Comp pick in 2018}
https://overthecap.com/draft/

I do not see UFA CJ Anderson having a sizeable 2019 Market Value. CJ signed with Carolina last yr @ only $1.5 mil. The yr earlier in 2017 CJ signed for $3 mil entering his 5th NFL season as an RB. CJ is now 2 years older as an RB in the NFL & would not be anywhere close to being one of the top 10 UFA RB's available in March & see no high $$$ demand contract & with what has occurred over the last two months with Gurley unknown:shocking: situation...CJ would be an excellent signing.

Rams will have approx. $32.5 million in available cap space. Rams 2019 Rookie Pool approx total cost in cap dollars that the Rams needs to sign its rookies in the summer is only 5.6 mil.

Highly possible Ram Cap Casualties would be WSILB Mark Barron saving $5.25 mil & Marcus Peters saving of $9.1 mil. That would net an additional $14.35 mil, thus giving the Rams close to $41.25 million available in the cap including the rookie crop cost. The only 2 possible pending retirements might be OL'ers Withworth & Sullivan. AW adds $11 mil & JS adds 4.25 mil total $15.25 mil. I hope both of these veteran OL'ers come back for one more season myself.

Snead/Demoff have only 2 RFA's that would be mandated a moderate cost contract. LB Cory Littleton approx 2.8 mil. & RB Brown approx 1.9 mil. They have 3 very low cap cost ERFA's in CB's Hatfield & Peterson, WR Hodge.I would suggest Snead resigns OG Saffold @ $8.1 mil APY, CB Shields @ $2.3 mil APY & RB CJ Anderson @ $2.5 mil APY. :bueller:

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Snead/Demoff have only 2 RFA's that would be mandated a moderate cost contract. LB Cory Littleton approx 2.8 mil. & RB Brown approx 1.9 mil. They have 3 very low cap cost ERFA's in CB's Hatfield & Peterson, WR Hodge.I would suggest Snead resigns OG Saffold @ $8.1 mil APY, CB Shields @ $2.3 mil APY & RB CJ Anderson @ $2.5 mil APY. :bueller:

Maybe Fowler ... depending on his open market value. He's the best edge rusher we have right now, and I'm not sure we can roll with E-Bomb and Obo as our top 2 edge rushers right now. If Fowler leaves, we have a hole there we need to fill.

Saffold, who you listed, is an absolute must.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
The best 2 teams in the NFL Rams & Pats were the top NFL teams who stand to be awarded the highest amount in value compensatory picks in the upcoming 2019 NFL Draft. Snead has done outstanding in signing UFA's who are (#1)-Cap Casualties (#2)- Contracts acquired via trade. (both do not count against the comp pick formula). Do we expect Snead to change & go out sign a bunch of UFA's??

Or do we believe Snead will once again have as his goal looking for additional compensatory picks in the 2020 draft ...going about by nonaction during the early first high-cost phase of the FA'cy period. Instead of preying on need positional players who end up as Cap Casualties & trading for needed positions on players who are still under contracts?

Would you think these four below current Rams (who will be 2019 UFA's whose contract had expired) will be the identified as Qualifying UFAs for Comp picks? In 2019 it's estimated he will be awarded 3 (two 3rds & a 7th) for Johnson/Watkins/Davis. I inserted the guesstimated suggested UFA Market Value?

FS-Lamarcus Joyner $10.6 mil a yr. {$APY net'd a 3rd Comp pick in 2018}
DL-Ndamukong Suh $9.3 mil a yr. {$APY net'd a 4th rd Comp pick in 2018}
OG-Rodger Saffold $ 8.1 mil a yr.(estimate) {$APY net'd a 4th Comp pick in 2018}
ER-Dante Fowler $8.0 mil a yr.(estimate) {$APY net'd a 4th rd Comp pick in 2018}
https://overthecap.com/draft/

I do not see UFA CJ Anderson having a sizeable 2019 Market Value. CJ signed with Carolina last yr @ only $1.5 mil. The yr earlier in 2017 CJ signed for $3 mil entering his 5th NFL season as an RB. CJ is now 2 years older as an RB in the NFL & would not be anywhere close to being one of the top 10 UFA RB's available in March & see no high $$$ demand contract & with what has occurred over the last two months with Gurley unknown:shocking: situation...CJ would be an excellent signing.

Rams will have approx. $32.5 million in available cap space. Rams 2019 Rookie Pool approx total cost in cap dollars that the Rams needs to sign its rookies in the summer is only 5.6 mil.

Highly possible Ram Cap Casualties would be WSILB Mark Barron saving $5.25 mil & Marcus Peters saving of $9.1 mil. That would net an additional $14.35 mil, thus giving the Rams close to $41.25 million available in the cap including the rookie crop cost. The only 2 possible pending retirements might be OL'ers Withworth & Sullivan. AW adds $11 mil & JS adds 4.25 mil total $15.25 mil. I hope both of these veteran OL'ers come back for one more season myself.

You be smart like me.:cool:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame

To play devils advocate, Ogletree was all of those (besides sneads first pick) AND just got extended and yet was on his way packing the next season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
To play devils advocate, Ogletree was all of those (besides sneads first pick) AND just got extended and yet was on his way packing the next season.

Maybe to extend Fowler or Suh !! I still think the original post was about Brockers being cut though as well.
I know a lot of things can happen & last season I was shocked at the moves The Rams made. This organization is excellent at making moves right now. We as fans have brought a lot of points to the table but now most of them happen beyond.
— Suh-Peters-Talib & signing Donald,Gurley,Cooks to long term contracts. Being able to keep Barron ?? Dining a guy like CJ Anderson out of knowhere. Trading for Fowler ?? Crazy really to see how moves keep getting made so Easley seeming.