For those who want to remake the O-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My choice would be Ruiz. 3 year starter at Michigan which runs an NFL type offense. I've watched his tape. No one pushes him back off the snap, exactly what the Rams OL needs.

One of these guys will be there at 52.

All of us who love the Offensive Line covet Ruiz, he could go earlier than 52, but would be music to our ears, if Ruiz is indeed donning horns.
1580655325228.png

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Allen is just too small. There are at least 4 guys coming out in the draft that are starting material. Tyler Biadasz (Bad-Ass) will be gone before Rams can pick at #52. But Creed Humphrey 6-5 320, Cesar Ruiz 6-4 319 and 3 yr starter, Darryl Williams 6-2 315, all could come in and startand be bigger up the middle. Allen and Blythe both are second level centers that tend to get pushed back into the pocket.

My choice would be Ruiz. 3 year starter at Michigan which runs an NFL type offense. I've watched his tape. No one pushes him back off the snap, exactly what the Rams OL needs.

Amen.

I forget which game it was but I saw Allen standing next to one of the opposing team's DTs and Allen appeared to be almost a JV sized player in comparison.

Allen might be quick enough to get to MLB's but that advantage vanishes when an opponent's DT is consistently roaming around in the Ram's backfield.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brian Allen is 6-2, 303 lbs, with 32.5" arms, which is prototypical of Centers. As pointed out he gets to the second level better than both Sullivan and Blythe. In most blocking situations if they run a power gap scheme that is exactly what they will need to do with him. In pass blocking, he's better than both Sullivan and Blythe. The grass is always greener thinking is not what they need right now. BTW the guy getting consistently pushed into the pocket was Blythe and he couldn't pull worth a damn. He's too slow and can't block on the second level at all which was part of the run game issue.

BTW they also have Coleman Shelton who is also a C who has been on the team through last season. I don't see them spending draft capital on a center. They need depth at OG and OT but late-round pick type players for depth.

Centers aren't OG size they generally are smaller to allow them to pull, get to the second level and to have leverage against NT's. John Sullivan is 6'4" and played at 310 with 31.5" arms and nobody thought he was too small. IMO bigger doesn't mean better. How quickly a rookie center can adjust to the NFL has more to do with the system he comes from than his metrics.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Having invested so much previous draft assets & now copious amounts of Rams salary cap funds in a pure pocket passer who needs to be able to step up & throw his beautiful accurate darts........the Rams selection of a much more talented center makes perfect sense but so does a LT.

The current Ram 2020 starting LT prospects @ this time are few, unproven & untested (Evans & {PUP}Noteboom). Not good! The UFA LT market lacks any real talent but one & Colts AC is 32 & threatening retirement to secure a big payday, the rest of UFA's with any once of talent are way past their prime.

The Rams OC post is in somewhat better condition in comparison to options, plus the 2020 UFA OC market is also much larger & more talented.

If I were making this selection @ #52 I would be considering the best pass blocking pure LT available over a center. If the Rams went LT & then OC with picks #52 & #84 I would be delighted.

Last edited:

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I like the guys we have now except for Demby. He needs to be cut. I agree with those wanting to bring in competition for OC and LT. Allen didn't look promising but it could be a different story next season. If Allen wins the starting OC job then great if he gets beat out that's fine too. I still want to see what Noteboom can do at LT but they definitely need a backup plan.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Brian Allen is 6-2, 303 lbs, with 32.5" arms, which is prototypical of Centers. As pointed out he gets to the second level better than both Sullivan and Blythe. In most blocking situations if they run a power gap scheme that is exactly what they will need to do with him. In pass blocking, he's better than both Sullivan and Blythe. The grass is always greener thinking is not what they need right now. BTW the guy getting consistently pushed into the pocket was Blythe and he couldn't pull worth a damn. He's too slow and can't block on the second level at all which was part of the run game issue.

BTW they also have Coleman Shelton who is also a C who has been on the team through last season. I don't see them spending draft capital on a center. They need depth at OG and OT but late-round pick type players for depth.

Centers aren't OG size they generally are smaller to allow them to pull, get to the second level and to have leverage against NT's. John Sullivan is 6'4" and played at 310 with 31.5" arms and nobody thought he was too small. IMO bigger doesn't mean better. How quickly a rookie center can adjust to the NFL has more to do with the system he comes from than his metrics.

No junk in the truck to anchor vs the Whiners or Hawks... Allen was an major fuck up
wembley-stadium-london-uk-27th-oct-2019-national-football-league-los-angeles-rams-versus-cinci...jpg

Allen & Demby need to be off the roster, including the PS!!!!

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Allen is just too small. There are at least 4 guys coming out in the draft that are starting material. Tyler Biadasz (Bad-Ass) will be gone before Rams can pick at #52. But Creed Humphrey 6-5 320, Cesar Ruiz 6-4 319 and 3 yr starter, Darryl Williams 6-2 315, all could come in and startand be bigger up the middle. Allen and Blythe both are second level centers that tend to get pushed back into the pocket.

Matt Hennessey and Netane Muti are other great options, and they'll be available later (third round).

I've also seen mocks where Biadasz drops and Humphrey rises, and if he does, we should take Biadasz without hesitation.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams have a simple philosophy of not signing a player long term to their last contract, that is why they did not sign Saffold, plus the Rams felt Noteboom would hold down the LG position and be ready to slide over to LT in 2020.

You can't factor in injuries, however, IMO, Brian Allen was an epic fail even compounding that he fell on Noteboom and injured him, going from Allen to Blythe was a major improvement and I hope the Rams plan on drafting a Center and keeping Allen on the bench.

As to Noteboom I felt all along he was a better Tackle then Guard and hopefully, the injury won't affect him moving forward. Believe me I liked Saffold too and I felt he was great in the locker room as well, but now, it's time to see what happens in 2020.

No doubt . The thing that got me was Sullivan being released.

When I was lucky enough to go to that Chargers fans only exhibition game. I was something cool.

-McVays first year. He made sure he game Tru Johnson a hug. It was how he was going to be on the sidelines or before games. The defense & offense were split on sides. I was yelling & screaming three seats up around the 50 yard line.The Rams sideline. No one really around me. There was a young coaches wife in front with kids for a little bit. I was respectful. Started when she left
& things were getting started.

Well The starters first came to the sidelines. Andrew Withworth was on far left & Sullivan joined him.They were the Vets The Rams have never had in awhile.

Saffold was pissed & I had screamed at him during a play he messed up on. He kneeled one one leg bummed at himself & was not sure how to handle it. He needed space in a sense to get his focus straight.
Jared Goff came off the sidelines & went start to Whitworth & Sullivan there. Goff taking full leadership with the Veterans!!
Havenstien & Brown went to the right side of where Roger Saffold was. It was pretty cool to watch how this bond of The Big 5 started.
Whitworth said what the meaning of lossing Sullivan was, as well as Roger Saffold. It just the way Mcvay went about cutting Sullivan that sucks. Never forget that bad Super Bowl holding call, especially not knowing it was his last NFL game.

What Sullivan meant to the whole offensive line was priceless. He to me was the glue. Whitworth being the big strong pillar supporting the main foundation.

I want Whitworth back & think he will be back. Not just because of his play, but what he means to The Rams Organization.

Noteboom needs a full season to recover & just gives him more time to learn from one of the best.
Jared Goff was the liaison brought Corbett to Whitworths house on Thanksgiving.Just the little things.
Goff & Allen has there gaming. That was more of a vertial reality.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Say what you want . It’s interesting to see what direction The Rams go this off season??

Attachments

• 1580749139407.png
    1580749139407.png
    395.8 KB · Views: 90

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tyler Biadasz (Bad-Ass) will be gone before Rams can pick at #52.
I don't like to get too into the grass on who will go when because frankly I am so often wrong prognosticating that. But that said if you watch his games and compare his play vs the other centers Biadasz will go after some of them in this draft.

IMO Rams probably wouldn't take him at 52. There are just too many options on a stacked board there who are better. The story in the draft will be Biadasz is falling, but IMO it will just be the teams drafting him after guys who had better film.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Your defense of Allen is notable. And I do agree he is a plus puller from the Center position, as well as the size thing mainly being a fan concern. Truth is centers can be smaller and do just fine.

But the problem here is that the Rams cannot afford to give him the job again. He's going to need to win it if he will be our starting center. And tbh even if the Rams luck out and get Ruiz there's a chance Allen could win that job because players are human beings and some of them work hard and actually improve, and a coaching staff isn't like fans they're not gonna throw a guy in the garbage because he didn't play well early in his career.

Rams will work his deficiencies, which was mainly strength and hand technique and particularly in pass pro. He'll compete for the job. And we'll see from there. I am certainly not writing him off just like I'm not writing off other guys who struggled last season, but I do think competition is required. And I would like to see a leader added to this interior group because Sully's loss was noteworthy there.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Your defense of Allen is notable. And I do agree he is a plus puller from the Center position, as well as the size thing mainly being a fan concern. Truth is centers can be smaller and do just fine.

But the problem here is that the Rams cannot afford to give him the job again. He's going to need to win it if he will be our starting center. And tbh even if the Rams luck out and get Ruiz there's a chance Allen could win that job because players are human beings and some of them work hard and actually improve, and a coaching staff isn't like fans they're not gonna throw a guy in the garbage because he didn't play well early in his career.

Rams will work his deficiencies, which was mainly strength and hand technique and particularly in pass pro. He'll compete for the job. And we'll see from there. I am certainly not writing him off just like I'm not writing off other guys who struggled last season, but I do think competition is required. And I would like to see a leader added to this interior group because Sully's loss was noteworthy there.

compete & cross train. The Rams have there offensive lineman already on the roster. Who will make it is another story.

dang

Legend
I want Whit for another year then add him to the coaching staff. I gotta believe he will stay with the Rams if they make him a reasonable offer but he cannot break the bank. Maybe $9-$10 m for another year?

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

Agreed. There were so many breakdowns, right across the line, it was difficult to work out who had blown their assignment. Then Demby joined the line and it got even worse. Allen needs to work on his leverage/technique but has physical tools to work with.

I don’t see many FAs who could come in and solidify our line. So a trade might be needed. Of course, that might mean we give up a pick and our chance to draft Ruiz in the process