For those who lament no 1st rounder means despair

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Jason Smith and Alex Barron were 1st rounders that the Rams had totally wasted on the Offensive Line.

Rams just got to keep drafting OL every year and develop them. It's trash-in, trash-out and see which OL picks make it on the team.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Always a crap shoot tho....We got a sure fire, star #1 overall with those first rounders. If we believe Snead will make moves to acquire talent on the oline whether we made the Ramsey deal or not, those #1 picks would be mid round to late #1 picks.

We got a steal.

we all thought the Petters trade was better then a crap shoot to but later we find he doesn't fit bums system. there is also the contract worries. ramesy knows he kind of has some leverage because of what we gave up for him. we have to sign him or this is one of the worst trades in history. plus he could have an career ending injury.
i'm not saying this was a bad trade just saying we won't know for a few years. because its a crap shoot both ways.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
we all thought the Petters trade was better then a crap shoot to but later we find he doesn't fit bums system. there is also the contract worries. ramesy knows he kind of has some leverage because of what we gave up for him. we have to sign him or this is one of the worst trades in history. plus he could have an career ending injury.
i'm not saying this was a bad trade just saying we won't know for a few years. because its a crap shoot both ways.
Well, a career ending injury can happen to anybody. But as far picking a rookie and guarantee that player will play at an elite level....or if he will do it immediately, is the biggest crap shoot. Ramsey has done it this league at an exextremely high level. As for the money and picks, that's a Demoff problem.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Of course you can find a great player at any position in rounds other than the 1st. The success rate just goes down. Picks by round have different values. Otherwise just trade all your round 1-6 picks and corner the market on 7th round picks. Or trade all your draft picks and rely on undrafted free agents. Some times they pan out also.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No worries Maxie, I know you have faith in Les Snead to find the diamonds in the rough.View attachment 32065
I have faith that Snead is at least as good as every above average GM in the NFL and that he has a reasonable shot of hitting on OL prospects.

At this point I got my fingers crossed that a couple of the new guys shows enough in next 7 weeks to be confident that they can be solid starters next year.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Of course you can find a great player at any position in rounds other than the 1st. The success rate just goes down. Picks by round have different values. Otherwise just trade all your round 1-6 picks and corner the market on 7th round picks. Or trade all your draft picks and rely on undrafted free agents. Some times they pan out also.
I appreciate your statement.

there is also the element to the draft that the talent level doesn’t drop off linearly. There is usually a select group of freaky guys in the top 12-15 players, then you get a drop off where anywhere from the mid to late first round all the way to the top of the 3rd round where they are very similar in quality.

look at WRs like MThomas, Kupp, JuJu, they were all drafted after the first round. And have outplayed many first rounders.

I think it’s easier with OL, except maybe LTs.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I appreciate your statement.

there is also the element to the draft that the talent level doesn’t drop off linearly. There is usually a select group of freaky guys in the top 12-15 players, then you get a drop off where anywhere from the mid to late first round all the way to the top of the 3rd round where they are very similar in quality.

look at WRs like MThomas, Kupp, JuJu, they were all drafted after the first round. And have outplayed many first rounders.

I think it’s easier with OL, except maybe LTs.

Yes but still you can trade down your 1st rounders and pick up an extra third say. They have a lot of value. That is why Jacksonville wanted two of them and most teams balked at ponying up. Not to mention the 5th year option.

And is Ramsey a sure thing? Heck we have not even signed him long term. Not to mention Ramsey is a bit of a wild card emotionally. Jags suspended him for basically threatening a reporter.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Yes, you can strike gold in the later rounds. Problem is we have to strike gold 3+ times.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right now it looks like next year's 1st round pick will be in the top 15 . Probably a little different than Snead and McVay thought they would be giving up for Ramsey .

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Yes but still you can trade down your 1st rounders and pick up an extra third say. They have a lot of value. That is why Jacksonville wanted two of them and most teams balked at ponying up. Not to mention the 5th year option.

And is Ramsey a sure thing? Heck we have not even signed him long term. Not to mention Ramsey is a bit of a wild card emotionally. Jags suspended him for basically threatening a reporter.
Good point about value of high picks in trading down. The Pats always do it.

There are no sure things in the NFL. Luck was supposed to be a sure thing. Future HOFer. He’s out of the league after playing 5 years.

Ramsey is a better risk than a couple of mid to late first round draft picks. That’s what I believe.

We’ll sign him even if we have to let Fowler, Littleton, and Johnson walk.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Good point about value of high picks in trading down. The Pats always do it.

There are no sure things in the NFL. Luck was supposed to be a sure thing. Future HOFer. He’s out of the league after playing 5 years.

Ramsey is a better risk than a couple of mid to late first round draft picks. That’s what I believe.

You may be right. We will see. I just think if you trade two 1s and a 4th you have at least agreed to an extension in principle.

Ram65

Legend
Two first-rounders and the money to pay Ramsey could go a long way to getting the Rams offensive line back in order. Just saying.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Hey, the best Rams draft in yrs was 2017 with the first pick taken in the 50's in round two.

So yeah, of course you can have a good draft without a number one pick.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Agreed that Rams are all-in on Ramsey. They will pay him no matter what. Can’t spend two 1st round picks and then not lock up the marquee player ya traded for.

I agree Ramsey is a better value talent-wise than two mid/late first rounders. My concern is with the cap... are Rams painting themselves in a corner with a top-heavy roster of high-paid superstars, leaving not enough $ for mid-tier players?

As for losing all three of Fowler, Littleton, and Johnson, that would be a tough pill to swallow. (At least we have another year to wait on JJ).

Snead is gonna have tough decisions to make this coming offseason. Gotta think major sacrifices will be made in order to free up FA money for the OL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can definitely find a quality interior OL in 2nd or 3rd round.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
We can definitely find a quality interior OL in 2nd or 3rd round.
Yes we can, but will we? Or will we continue to draft marginal offensive line talent in the fourth and fifth rounds with the expectation that Kromer can turn them into quality starters? None of that has worked out so far.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

not saying this was a bad trade but if you look at it as we gave up two firsts and a 4th and possibly a player or two due to cap it is at the very least questionable. if it was such a good deal why didn't a team with more cap space out bid us. I do hope we did make a great trade just not as sure as some of you are.