First Practice News and Reports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I know it's only one day but...

STOCK UP:

1) Mike Thomas

Thomas made the only notable play during the Rams short 7 on 7 period (the day was mainly 11 on 11) when he took a short slant from the left side of the field to the right side of the field, turning the corner, and finding the sideline before being pushed out of bounds for a 30+ yard gain. He doesn't have jets, but he isn't slow. He also made a nice grab in WR drills and looked like a man among boys with the 3s.

2) EJ Gaines

Gaines is arguably the most forgotten man on the Rams D. He showed up to play today covering the slot and outside with no notable completions and came up in run support (albeit w/o pads).

3) Mo Alexander

Has no physical limitations to play free, lets just hope he can progress mentally. There weren't many downfield throws, so I don't want to give the impression he's locked up a starting spot or anything. But he didn't do anything to hurt his case today and filled up nicely in run support, giving Todd a nice pop in the hole coming all the way from his safety position.

STOCK DOWN:

1) Temmarick Hemmingway

As I've said its only day 1, but Hemmingway showed today why he fell in the draft. He is a raw project, who if developed has the physical gifts to be a great TE. That's a big IF however (see Fendi Onobun). He had a ball ripped from his hands by a DB in 7 on 7 and had a CB hit him from behind on a short curl, causing him to drop the ball as well. Hemmingway will need to shine on ST, because he doesn't provide much else currently that the Rams lack at TE.

2) Eric Kush

Had 2 bad snaps to Goff in 11 on 11 in the span of a few plays. The first was a shotgun snap that hit Goff in the feet and the second looked like a bad exchange from under center, however it looked like Kush didn't get the ball all the way to Goff.

Fun Tidbit: I loved how after 11 on 11 (practice was over) Goff was seen taking multiple reps with Kush from both under center and in the shotgun to work on perfecting their exchange.
Day one or not, it's hard to not get excited about Mike Thomas or any WR making plays.
Cooper already playing with the 1s and Thomas having a good day makes my day.

Non Rams fans may not know who Gaines is, but Rams fans certainly know who he is. A healthy Gaines will make JJ a forgotten Ram.

Lack of depth at Center is a concern for me. I know little about Kush. Raney was in play for the position last year, but his routine chop blocking has been eliminated from the league.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Thanks to you and DrRam etc for all the reports. :cheers:

My question is what % of the offensive plays are coming out of the shotgun vs under center?
I'm not a big fan of the offseason whispers about the offense going more towards a shotgun-based philosophy. IMO running Gurley regularly out of the shotgun is going to be a big mistake. Hoping to get some reports on this pretty simple question going forward from you guys.
I'd say about half and half maybe 2/3 shotgun and 1/3 under center. There were also a handful of plays run out of the pistol. There were a fair amount of plays with a fullback as well. Still, more vanilla plays with few reads down the field, mostly underneath stuff. I'm sure I'll see a lot more at the scrimmage at the coliseum next Saturday.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
You talk about the lack of TE's onbThe Rams.
--Justice Cunningham is going into his 3rd season & he is listed as a 2nd stringer behind Harkey & ahead of Hemmingway. That in it's self tells me a little bit.
-- How did Tyler Higbee look ? Reports he was looking good today. Then there is Benson Browne who is listed as 3rd string.
Harkey and Cunningham were almost exclusively on the field as FBs on day 1. I don't recall seeing either line up in-line ONCE. It's Kendricks/Higbee/Hemmingway currently.

Higbee looked solid. No drops and looked quite nimble. Again, only day 1, so few downfield shots, but he looks as advertised.

Don't recall seeing Bowe out there much so can't report on him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Harkey and Cunningham were almost exclusively on the field as FBs on day 1. I don't recall seeing either line up in-line ONCE. It's Kendricks/Higbee/Hemmingway currently.

Higbee looked solid. No drops and looked quite nimble. Again, only day 1, so few downfield shots, but he looks as advertised.

Benny as a fullback, now that is a little twist.

Oh Justice, nevermind, my bad.

Last edited:

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Surprised to see Cooper over Marquez with the first team.
We know it's bound to happen, I just didn't expect to see it on the first day of camp.
I think I actually got that backwards. They were rotating Marquez and Cooper in with the 1s and 2s with Marquez getting the most snaps with the 1s, but Pharoh did get some snaps with the 1s

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wouldn't be opposed to that wrinkle in our offense though
I recently saw a picture of him, and he looks to have put on 10 - 15 pounds lean muscle mass. (Justice)

Yeah, Benny and Todd in on third downs, and goal line plays, could be real interesting.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
One thing that sucks about them being in LA is I have to wait until 530 to hear any practice updates :banghead:

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I recently saw a picture of him, and he looks to have put on 10 - 15 pounds lean muscle mass. (Justice)

Yeah, Benny and Todd in on third downs, and goal line plays, could be real interesting.
Justice looks a little quicker and looks, as you said, to be in great shape. Forgot to mention in my notes that rookie RB Aaron Green (#36) had a nice run to the left side for 30+. Justice was leading the way blocking 30 yards downfield for him and looked quicker than I remember.

Also Benny is sporting a new number if people didn't hear (#23).

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Is there another open practice today ? Anyone going ? Reporting ?

Yes, today at 3;30 again. I"m planning on going but I'll probably be busy taking photos and won't be able to report too much. Besides, how can i remember all those players numbers?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Benson Browne is listed behind Higbee.
Hemingway listed behind Cunningham.
Just the depth chart right now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Justice looks a little quicker and looks, as you said, to be in great shape. Forgot to mention in my notes that rookie RB Aaron Green (#36) had a nice run to the left side for 30+. Justice was leading the way blocking 30 yards downfield for him and looked quicker than I remember.

Also Benny is sporting a new number if people didn't hear (#23).
I caught a few glimpses of Green, and he flashed.

Dick84

The problem, I think, in getting excited about Green is that I would *expect* him to flash in a non-contact environment.
Problem, I've read, is that he doesn't run with any power and tries to bounce everything outside.
We'll see.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yes, today at 3;30 again. I"m planning on going but I'll probably be busy taking photos and won't be able to report too much. Besides, how can i remember all those players numbers?

You just take notes with the numbers and go back and look up who was who later. Put the camera down and pick the pencil up as often as you can.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
One thing I am sure of: Fish and Greg Robinson are determined to expose Goff to every look a defense can throw at him. The kid is in for a rough first week while he adjusts to it.

Remember barring injuries this is possibly a top 5 defense and one of the most varied and unpredictable in the league. When the kid does get comfortable watch out!
God I hope you meant Greg Williams and not Greg Robinson. :shocking:

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Pencil? What's that? Are they still used?

I'm thinking of using the voice memo feature on my phone. I'll just have to remember to do it!

It's hell getting old.