First Look: Raiders at Rams / Joint Practices

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

First Look: Rams wrap up preseason home slate hosting Raiders​

The Rams are set to host the Raiders on Saturday at SoFi Stadium for their second preseason game – and final home game of the preseason – culminating a busy week that will also include a pair of joint practices with Las Vegas. Kickoff in Inglewood, Calif. is scheduled for 7 p.m. pacific time, with the contest being televised locally on KABC-7 and nationally on NFL Network (subject to local blackouts).

In advance of the contest, here is your first look at Rams-Raiders:

Notable Raiders additions

Signed DT Gerald McCoy to a one-year deal on Aug. 4: The 33-year-old McCoy missed all of last season due to a torn quadriceps injury sustained during training camp with the Cowboys, but the setback is providing plenty of motivation for him.

Signed RB Kenyan Drake to a two-year deal in March: Drake is a familiar name to the Rams, having spent the last one and a half seasons with the Cardinals. After his one-year tender signed last season via the transition tag expired, Drake was brought into Las Vegas to complement star running back Josh Jacobs.
Top performers in 2020

QB Derek Carr completed 348 of 517 pass attempts for 4,103 yards and 27 touchdowns, against only nine interceptions.

Jacobs led the Raiders' backfield with 273 carries for 1,065 yards and 12 touchdowns, also chipping in 33 receptions for 238 yards in the passing game.

TE Darren Waller led Las Vegas' receivers with 107 receptions for 1,196 yards and nine touchdowns.

S Jonathan Abram's 86 total tackles paced the Raiders defense, while S Jeff Heath led the secondary with three interceptions.

On special teams, K Daniel Carlson made 33 of 35 field goal attempts and 45 of 47 extra point attempts, while P A.J. Cole III averaged 44.1 yards per punt.

Early storylines to watch, and what they mean for the Rams

Getting the run game going seems to be at the top of Rams head coach Sean McVay's mind this week, as the 2.4 yards per carry averaged by the Rams' running backs against the Chargers left more to be desired, in his eyes.

"The run game, it was sloppy. It wasn't very good. It didn't look clean," McVay said after Monday's practice. "There were a couple opportunities, but for the most part, I didn't think it was very good."

There were moments where individual players "did a nice job," McVay explained, but the lack of continuity – there were "a lot of guys that haven't gotten those full-speed reps before" – was evident.

"There might be a certain block or a certain angle, or the way that we're fitting a block based on where the back's landmark is that wasn't in unison," McVay said.

Las Vegas' defense is led by new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, who spent the previous four seasons with the Chargers. That tenure was highlighted by the Chargers finishing with the NFL's No. 9 run defense in 2018, though it also finished 31st in 2017 and 18th in 2019 and 2020.

Ultimately, it presents a chance for the Rams to fine-tune their ground attack against a different scheme.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone going?

Besides GOOD HEALTH… What does everyone want to see in this one?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Was just checking game times for pre season gm's this week and my Lord, look at the difference in listed ticket prices. SoFi is twice as much as most and ten times as much for other venues. It's a shiny new state of the art building and all, but im sorry that's ridiculous. It's a nosebleed preseason ticket. That ain't gonna rebuild a hardcore fan base.
Capture.JPG

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Uh - who cares?
You’re a Rams fan - root for ’em.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Yeah RBs LBs and OL especially Evans and our backup center. I just we come out healthy

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Was just checking game times for pre season gm's this week and my Lord, look at the difference in listed ticket prices. SoFi is twice as much as most and ten times as much for other venues. It's a shiny new state of the art building and all, but im sorry that's ridiculous. It's a nosebleed preseason ticket. That ain't gonna rebuild a hardcore fan base.
View attachment 47347

Just another reason why I moved outta state this year.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
View attachment 47347

That's the secondary market presumably? LA/SoCal based Raiders fans will want to see their team. Nothing to worry about.

I got gouged this morning for tix for the London games. Jags Vs Dolphins, £94 for face value tickets and they weren't even the dear ones. That's like $150 per seat! Ah well, good excuse for a trip to London for the weekend anyway.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The epic TE duel...

Have to figure Harris sits this one out and we get Hopkins last stand vs What can Blanton do? and Dont forget about me Markway

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Run the damn ball, hopefully, the run blocking will be better and Matt Gay can convert on several extra points. Defense had its moments against the Chargers again be nice to just run the football and see some better blocking at the point of attack limiting penetration.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Have to think they will want to see if Perkins is worthy of a roster spot.
OL should be a huge test for anyone wanting a job in that group. I think that might have been the most critical McVay has ever been that I can remember.

Apparently high prices and masks are normal for LA. Hard pass, the game is on tv.

Psycho_X

Legend
Focusing on oline and any rookies that might be playing. Hoping Rochelle and Brown 3 gets playing time despite their injuries but not sure that'll happen. Oh and Perkins, really want to see more from Perkins. I hope we can hang on to him somehow this season.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking forward to better OL play, RBs getting closer to 4 ypc, and some snaps from the young guys in defense.

(No idiot Charger fans throwing Drinks)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Like most of us i'll be zeroing in on the RB's and OL.

I'll be curious to see if Carberry makes OL personnel adjustments, or whether he trots out the same players at the same positions.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO the OL issues weren't so much who was playing, it was a matter of execution. From what McVay said it was primarily a blocking execution issue. Remember, before this year these guys were "coached" by Kromer and his half-assed job is on display. It takes more than a couple of weeks of practice to get it down. Carberry has installed the whole gamut of blocking schemes not just outside zone. He's installed both outside and inside zone, gap, and power schemes. This is the OL's first real exposure to the last two blocking schemes. It was clear to me that the OL was the problem in the run game. It may not be as good as it could be but it should be better now that they have actual game film to review.

If there are going to be changes I hope it's in the secondary. Orr runs a 4.8, Olumba runs a 4.6, Harris times at 4.8, and only Hall has CB speed at 4.38. JR Reed has decent speed at 6'1" running a 4.5, but he's basically a safety. Expecting Harris to not get outrun in man coverage was unrealistic. Because of McVay's restrictions, Morris is basically limited to straight zone, i.e. drop, read and react style of play. With the speed of the Raiders receivers that's about all, they can do. Only Hall matches up.

I also expect no Jacob Harris so Blanton and Markway and Mundt should be playing TE. Akers, Haydel, and Koski should be the WRs. I think we might see Funk and Jones for one or two series but I see them getting pulled after that and Anderson and to a lesser extend Calais getting the carries.

One thing most haven't mentioned is how STs looks improved already. I think Hekker will be the punter as IMO Bojorquez is going to be the punter this season.

IMO this is a big game for Okoronkwo who must separate himself from the other edge rushers. Right now Lawler is making his push to be the early-down DE in rotation with Hollins.

Ram65

Legend
Jacob Harris could use more reps. He hasn't played much football overall so get him some PT. T Jack is hurt too so he probably sits.

I guess the running game gets the eyes. This week I'll look more at the O Line.

Return game and kicking game.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Have to think they will want to see if Perkins is worthy of a roster spot.
OL should be a huge test for anyone wanting a job in that group. I think that might have been the most critical McVay has ever been that I can remember.

Apparently high prices and masks are normal for LA. Hard pass, the game is on tv.

Yeah I want to see Perkins get 1st quarter action. I think the kid is the real deal tbh. We'll see tho.

Yeah now mask are mandatory again in LA, I was gonna try to get tix for this game but $150 for nose bleed seats, lack of security, and now I have to mask up? Yeah I'll stay home and make myself some popcorn.