Fake Punt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Oh that was a great fake by Hekker

I usually hate fakes by players but (sorry Hecker) punters are not real players so....
I'll take me some Hekker any day - especially after laying out Cliff Avrill in Seattle :zany1:
Hekker laying it down!
We won't talk about cowering in fear, later....

Tano

Legend
Skow is even pointing at the ref that he came in before the play started

And then I watched the play itself - there was no unsportsmanlike conduct on the Giants that I could see

And no other flags came in except the one the original ref threw

Attachments

• 1634999150797.jpeg
    1634999150797.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 46

Tano

Legend
There was a roughing Hekker on another play where he got the academy award for best fake of getting hit by a player

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I guess their penalty could have been on the sideline when they were bitching about the play? I hate that there was no explanation at all from the refs. Seems there was no good reason and they don't want to talk about it.

Tano

Legend
I guess their penalty could have been on the sideline when they were bitching about the play? I hate that there was no explanation at all from the refs. Seems there was no good reason and they don't want to talk about it.
Problem with that reasoning is that the Giants penalty would be a dead ball foul whereas the Ram penalty was a live ball foul.

So they would have backed up the Rams 15 yards and then move the Rams up 15 yards with a first down for the Rams.

A dead ball foul does not offset a live ball foul.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere...but, was there ever an explanation of the off-setting penalties on the fake punt?

Quoting the OP.

89 posts later… we’re still talking about the fake punt.

:zany1:

bluecoconuts

Legend

The penalty on the Giants was a coach getting in the way of a line judge during the play.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The penalty on the Giants was a coach getting in the way of a line judge during the play.
It's clear to me that the Rams violated the rule against successful fake punts conducted early in the game on the home field of a downtrodden major market historical franchise opponent under circumstances in which, if the play were allowed, the fans would leave at halftime.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Skow is even pointing at the ref that he came in before the play started

And then I watched the play itself - there was no unsportsmanlike conduct on the Giants that I could see

And no other flags came in except the one the original ref threw

As stated earlier, I think Hekker drew a roughing call on the play.
Giants penalty was on their coaches

Tano

Legend
Okay I see it now

The Giants Head Coach is yelling at the team fake punt while standing right on the edge of the playing field.

That definitely can be called unsportsmanlike conduct.

Still don't like the call though on the Rams.

1635017590133.png

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
ok.

no idea where those guys came up with the roughing call.
Jourdan said the league said the Giants coaches interfered with the refs or were on the field before the play was over… something like that. Sounds like they F’d up and should have picked up the flag, but instead decided to cover up with another fake call.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Still don't like the call though on the Rams.

Call on the Rams is 100% botched, there's no valid explanation.

Ben Skowronek plays that spot on ST normally, so it was a normal substitution that happens every punt, he also came inside the numbers and then back out to his normal spot, Rams have confirmed they have All 22 that show this and sent it to the league. They both recognised the opportunity for the fake and ran it from their normal punt formation. Refs missed Skowronek going inside the numbers and apparently thought he just stepped onto the field and that was it, it was a fuck up, but since the league has banned calling out the refs for that, McVay couldn't expand in the presser, and of course the NFL will never come out and say the right thing so the Refs don't look bad.