Fake Punt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Don't take out the human element! That's the best part of the game!
I have to laugh or I'd go insane...

Seriously... I bet within a year, Boston Dynamics could make a referee that'd be pretty close to any human ref. Give them 3 and we'd have the best officiating of any sport in the world.

I mean, they got robots doing parkour now...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
FWIW McVay said they had video proof that he went inside the numbers and back out, so it was a botched call regardless.

Still no explanation for the Giants, maybe some sort of taunting thing? Doesn’t look like the tackle was anything, and they obviously haven’t explained it and never will.

Onto next week I suppose.

The Rams will get one of those fucking bullshit letters from the league... "err..umm... sorry. The Refs fucked up. Them's the breaks, but yeah, they fucked you. Also, if you talk about how they fucked you, we'll beat your wallet harder than the internet beats a dead horse. Sincerely, The Commish's office"

The dead horse I will beat until I'm simply beating the outline of the long since obliterated carcass... it's time for all refereeing to be automated with human supervision.

If the NFL can't exist without fixing the outcome, then fuck it... let's all watch curling. I don't care, but every week going through this BS is just exhausting.

And the only reason something's not done is because a) for some reason the league fears the NFL refs even though after the 3rd game of replacement refs, they did a good enough job that the ref union settled and got their mostly old, fat asses back on to the field and b) because since 9/11 and that SB36, the NFL wants to have that narrative so that every winner is a feel good story. It's gross.

Who gives a shit about "the human factor" when it comes to officiating. In many sports, especially timed sports, it's all automated with humans supervising any boundary violation. Can anyone say that motorsports or track and field or skiing would be better going back to human timing?

It's just an unbelievably stupid take. "Well, things sucked in the past, so let's keep doing that bullshit... FOR NOSTALGIA!!!"

Fuck all that. Greatest day in the NFL will be when refs are the 2nd line for making calls and most if not all calls are either automated or decided in NY by a PANEL of former senior officials.

Ya know... I used to design workflow for networks as well as physical workflow... I KNOW I could design something relatively easy to implement with SIGNIFICANTLY fewer errors and faster gameplay.

I KNOW.

And I KNOW there are others out there much better than me (maybe not in my prime, but i'm easily 20 years past that in my field).

They still don't even have all full time referees. WTF is that nonsense? Biggest sport in the US and they need part time officials???

Sorry. I'm so fucking done with ANY referees that I'll gladly blast a former East German judge even though they haven't been a thing since '90

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It is a penalty if you don't "report" which covers eligible linemen and there is an "unsportsmanlike" penalty if a player does that... just barely walks on to the field of play and isn't clearly part of a formation. I don't remember when that changed, but it's been quite awhile now iirc.

But that's not what happened.

I still can't figure it out, but it def wasn't Skowronek sneaking on to the field of play. If that was the call, it's completely bogus. You can't sneak on the field while waiving your hands like a madman... that's just not how sneaking works...
Someone said they saw an all 22 view of Skowronek cross the numbers like he's supposed to then go to his sideline spot.

So the refs who are supposed to be watching either weren't, or they were trying to kill the Rams momentum. They never said nor showed any unsportsmanlike penalty on the Giants. It was their way to create a do over, for whichever reason. I think they were covering their ass because they fucked it all up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams will get one of those fucking bullshit letters from the league... "err..umm... sorry. The Refs fucked up. Them's the breaks, but yeah, they fucked you. Also, if you talk about how they fucked you, we'll beat your wallet harder than the internet beats a dead horse. Sincerely, The Commish's office"

The dead horse I will beat until I'm simply beating the outline of the long since obliterated carcass... it's time for all refereeing to be automated with human supervision.

If the NFL can't exist without fixing the outcome, then fuck it... let's all watch curling. I don't care, but every week going through this BS is just exhausting.

And the only reason something's not done is because a) for some reason the league fears the NFL refs even though after the 3rd game of replacement refs, they did a good enough job that the ref union settled and got their mostly old, fat asses back on to the field and b) because since 9/11 and that SB36, the NFL wants to have that narrative so that every winner is a feel good story. It's gross.

Who gives a shit about "the human factor" when it comes to officiating. In many sports, especially timed sports, it's all automated with humans supervising any boundary violation. Can anyone say that motorsports or track and field or skiing would be better going back to human timing?

It's just an unbelievably stupid take. "Well, things sucked in the past, so let's keep doing that bullshit... FOR NOSTALGIA!!!"

Fuck all that. Greatest day in the NFL will be when refs are the 2nd line for making calls and most if not all calls are either automated or decided in NY by a PANEL of former senior officials.

Ya know... I used to design workflow for networks as well as physical workflow... I KNOW I could design something relatively easy to implement with SIGNIFICANTLY fewer errors and faster gameplay.

I KNOW.

And I KNOW there are others out there much better than me (maybe not in my prime, but i'm easily 20 years past that in my field).

They still don't even have all full time referees. WTF is that nonsense? Biggest sport in the US and they need part time officials???

Sorry. I'm so fucking done with ANY referees that I'll gladly blast a former East German judge even though they haven't been a thing since '90
The league won't give up the control needs to sell those huge TV deals. Automation in football is 21 years overdue. They have to know that. But I don't think some calls could be made with computer programs. Like the call against Van for blocking in the back on a pass play. It was a questionable call I know but how does that happen without a few refs on the field if its legit.same with holding.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The league won't give up the control needs to sell those huge TV deals. Automation in football is 21 years overdue. They have to know that. But I don't think some calls could be made with computer programs. Like the call against Van for blocking in the back on a pass play. It was a questionable call I know but how does that happen without a few refs on the field if its legit.same with holding.

Well, look at self driving cars for an example. They still aren't as good as humans yet. But give them time.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

If we can do this

which up until a few years ago was as science fiction as PsychoHistory...

Then we can do robot refs. It's not as hard as folks think. Landing rockets tail first? THAT's hard. Robot refs? Huge step down in difficulty. Heck, you could still have humans with tons of sensors on players, the ball (RFID tags weigh almost nothing) and all lines coupled with 8k cameras at 120fps to allow AI with human supervision to make close calls. Heck, they can use wireframe technology on players using partial lines to determine when a knee is down in the pile to determine more accurately the spot of the ball.

Oh and for those who think this is futurism... FIFA is looking into it and World Team Tennis is already deploying robots to make line calls. Other sports are looking into it as well.

It's coming.

There's also this article about some grad students from Boston College that analyzed over 4 MILLION pitches and revealed that 1 in 5 pitches was called INCORRECTLY.

I hate NFL referees, but there's a special place in hell for MLB umpires...

Bottom line is that the NFL will probably be the last sport to incorporate them because a) it's too easy to notice when a computer deviates from a pattern and b) if they started treating all calls and players equally, they might deviate from the narrative and we can't have that... which is fucking stupid because it's a tacit admission that they can't even cheat without fixing it so that it's easier to cheat.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
If we can do this

Then we can do robot refs. It's not as hard as folks think. Landing rockets tail first? THAT's hard. Robot refs? Huge step down in difficulty. Heck, you could still have humans with tons of sensors on players, the ball (RFID tags weigh almost nothing) and all lines coupled with 8k cameras at 120fps to allow AI with human supervision to make close calls. Heck, they can use wireframe technology on players using partial lines to determine when a knee is down in the pile to determine more accurately the spot of the ball.

Oh and for those who think this is futurism... FIFA is looking into it and World Team Tennis is already deploying robots to make line calls. Other sports are looking into it as well.

It's coming.

There's also this article about some grad students from Boston College that analyzed over 4 MILLION pitches and revealed that 1 in 5 pitches was called INCORRECTLY.

Bottom line is that the NFL will probably be the last sport to incorporate them because a) it's too easy to notice when a computer deviates from a pattern and b) if they started treating all calls and players equally, they might deviate from the narrative and we can't have that... which is fucking stupid because it's a tacit admission that they can't even cheat without fixing it so that it's easier to cheat.

Can't protect ballerina Brady if everything is fair and equal.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to laugh or I'd go insane...

Seriously... I bet within a year, Boston Dynamics could make a referee that'd be pretty close to any human ref. Give them 3 and we'd have the best officiating of any sport in the world.

I mean, they got robots doing parkour now...

when will these robots be competing against humans in the ninja warrior shows?

seriously, that's one of the most terrifying video's i've ever seen. can you imagine once governments have these things on the streets. it will be carnage for human rights for the human race.

TexasRam

Legend
Unsportsmanlike conduct.

I think what the ref was trying to say is … Hey that’s not fair. Your team is good and they suck so that’s not good sportsmanship to do a fake punt.

But he didn’t use his words.

In all seriousness how in the hell do you not have a man covering Sko there. At a minimum you should have an assistant coach watching and notifying the head coach to call a timeout if there is an alignememt problem.

Watch closely right after the 3rd down sack forcing the punt and you can see Giants coach Judge saying “watch for the fake, watch for the fake!”

So how does Sko not covered even happen. It’s mind blowing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If we can do this

It's coming.

Agreed. The perfect example is holding call and ignoring holds. They can shut down a drive on either side of the ball. Take out the human element and they lose control

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I gathered it was not a called fake punt - just something Hekker moved to when no one covered Ben out there. But I'm just guessing.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
No. It was planned. That’s why the ST coach was so hot about the call.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If we can do this

It's coming.

You had me at the two Falcon 9 boosters landing in synchronicity.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

seriously, that's one of the most terrifying video's i've ever seen. can you imagine once governments have these things on the streets. it will be carnage for human rights for the human race.

Was thinking similar things. Haven’t these people seen any of the hundreds of movies that portrait how bad this will go???

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Was thinking similar things. Haven’t these people seen any of the hundreds of movies that portrait how bad this will go???
It always starts so innocently...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
FWIW McVay said they had video proof that he went inside the numbers and back out, so it was a botched call regardless.

Still no explanation for the Giants, maybe some sort of taunting thing? Doesn’t look like the tackle was anything, and they obviously haven’t explained it and never will.

Onto next week I suppose.
I cannot recall him talking that way about the refs in the past. Maybe he's tired of being fucked. Or perhaps I just selectively am not recalling him being critical of them.

Not to mention wars being mostly fought by those things, you could exterminate cities with a pushbutton command. It's gonna get ugly it always does when tech flips shit. Oh and...

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever." -Orwell

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

There is no avoiding the AI revolution, it's coming no matter how some feel about it.
This is a 'We the People' nation, and how we vote will determine if our government is allowed to use this technology against our own best interests. Get complacent and George Orwell will be a prophet, ... although properly regulating how it's used to advance our standard of living will guide us to a new future life model.
Refereeing a game with AI is not exactly like Stallone going all Judge Dredd on the players, it just brings more accuracy & fairness for everyone involved.
So whether this is the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning, it's really up to all of us to participate in making government our bitch, and not vice versa.
jmo.

Last edited:

JustMe

Rookie
Name
Just Me
just seen this tweet. Maybe explains offsetting penalties?

McGaughey says Rams punter “Johnny Hekker deserves an Academy Award” for drawing the roughing the punter penalty on Giants’ Cam Brown late #Giants

Tano

Legend
just seen this tweet. Maybe explains offsetting penalties?

McGaughey says Rams punter “Johnny Hekker deserves an Academy Award” for drawing the roughing the punter penalty on Giants’ Cam Brown late #Giants
Oh that was a great fake by Hekker

I usually hate fakes by players but (sorry Hecker) punters are not real players so....