FA and Cap Outlook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
View attachment 52254
OL

Havenstein: excellent RT at a great price plus team control.
Edwards: solid OG might even factor into OT plans though only one season left.
Shelton: likely our starting Center for 2022.

Evans: a bit behind the curve for his class, not sure he's good enough but we have another year.
Anchrum: solid depth at OT/OG.
A Jackson: solid depth OT who has shown a lot for his experience level, might have something here.

D Jackson: probably depth at best, undersized meh.
Ealy: bubble guy at best.

Positional outlook: First off I think Whitworth is retired and Corbett and Allen are gone. Neither of the FAs offer anything special that would lead the Rams to retain them. Noteboom looks like solid LT material though the sample size is somewhat small, and is likely to return. So my count is 6 NFL players on this roster, 7 if they retain Noteboom. This insinuates that if they keep Boom they will draft one or two OL for the pipeline.

If they don't keep Boom which is unlikely but possible then the roster size of 6 and only Hav being paid means they're making a run at a FA for the LT position or maybe the interior. And whether that happens or not we're talking more fresh blood for the pipeline.

Depth Chart (Noteboom retained in FA):

LT: Noteboom / A Jackson
LG: Edwards
C: Shelton / DRAFT
RG: Evans / Anchrum
RT: Havenstein / DRAFT

Notes: in this depth chart there is more consistency with the group but less room to improve next season. I am of the mind that improvement will be desired so not sure this gets it done.

Depth Chart (No FAs retained):

LT: A Jackson

Notes: in this depth chart if they don't retain Boom they will add a FA who upgrades the OL. It would likely be a LT like Armstead as the target, however if they really like A Jackson it might be an interior add.
I think Noteboom re-signing is a given because teams other than us don't realize how good he is because Whitworth's kept him on the bench. That being said, Rams fans who pay attention know this guy has been really good when given the opportunity.

Both Allen and Corbett should be priorities but I wouldn't overpay. Neither one are superstars but they're perfect for this offense. The key to a good OL or at least our OL has been consistency and staying the course. You change 3/5 of that OL in one offseason and we could be looking at a massive Superbowl hangover next season.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I wouldn't throw much money at all towards Allen, or Corbett. They've been issues the last 6-7 games and a major reason why we couldn't get the run game going quite a few times.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
View attachment 52254
OL

Havenstein: excellent RT at a great price plus team control.
Edwards: solid OG might even factor into OT plans though only one season left.
Shelton: likely our starting Center for 2022.

Evans: a bit behind the curve for his class, not sure he's good enough but we have another year.
Anchrum: solid depth at OT/OG.
A Jackson: solid depth OT who has shown a lot for his experience level, might have something here.

D Jackson: probably depth at best, undersized meh.
Ealy: bubble guy at best.

Positional outlook: First off I think Whitworth is retired and Corbett and Allen are gone. Neither of the FAs offer anything special that would lead the Rams to retain them. Noteboom looks like solid LT material though the sample size is somewhat small, and is likely to return. So my count is 6 NFL players on this roster, 7 if they retain Noteboom. This insinuates that if they keep Boom they will draft one or two OL for the pipeline.

If they don't keep Boom which is unlikely but possible then the roster size of 6 and only Hav being paid means they're making a run at a FA for the LT position or maybe the interior. And whether that happens or not we're talking more fresh blood for the pipeline.

Depth Chart (Noteboom retained in FA):

LT: Noteboom / A Jackson

Notes: in this depth chart there is more consistency with the group but less room to improve next season. I am of the mind that improvement will be desired so not sure this gets it done.

Depth Chart (No FAs retained):

LT: A Jackson

Notes: in this depth chart if they don't retain Boom they will add a FA who upgrades the OL. It would likely be a LT like Armstead as the target, however if they really like A Jackson it might be an interior add.

One thing I would like to see which could affect the above is a re-imagining of our running game. One of the things I have noticed throughout the playoffs and even in the regular season is that there are simply too many instances of our backs getting stuffed in the backfield almost as soon as they get the ball. I don't know if it's the zone blocking scheme or what, but I suspect it's something to do with how our guys block and how our running plays are designed.

I would really like to see our OL become some serious road-graders, like the Hogs for the Redskins in the 80's or the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys of the 90's (or even the Rams OL of the mid/late 80's). Those lines could push around most defensive lines and you almost never saw their backs get stuffed in the backfield. We need to do something different, because while I respect the Bengals DL, we should have been able to run on them last night and we simply couldn't.

Ram65

Legend
I wish I knew or better yet I wish the Rams know how to improve the offensive line. For the most part, when it mattered they pass protected well. They just didn't open up enough holes in the run game. I think McVay was overly confident at times with five-man WR sets which allowed defenses to tee off on the line.

Taking a quick look at PFF grades surprisingly Allen graded out the best of the three interior linemen by a wide margin. I know PPF is the best evaluator but, they do get to watch more tape than most.

Coleman in limited time was way behind the others

There seem to be communication problems early on and the McVay overconfidence with too long of pass patterns. I can't explain the complete collapse of the run game blocking. With Noteboom likely to take over at LT I think they need a mauler somewhere on the line as he and the others are better pass blockers than run blockers.

For a few years, I have held out that it was ok for the Rams to pass up improving the offensive line. I think it's time they do. I'm just not sure how.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't throw much money at all towards Allen, or Corbett. They've been issues the last 6-7 games and a major reason why we couldn't get the run game going quite a few times.
Corbett is playing somewhat out of position, I believe. Is he not best at LG? But I agree, neither is worth big money, IMO. You can never have enough capable linemen, especially that can play multiple positions. I would keep Corbett if feasible but would not overpay. Again, not worth top dollar IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing I would like to see which could affect the above is a re-imagining of our running game. One of the things I have noticed throughout the playoffs and even in the regular season is that there are simply too many instances of our backs getting stuffed in the backfield almost as soon as they get the ball. I don't know if it's the zone blocking scheme or what, but I suspect it's something to do with how our guys block and how our running plays are designed.

I would really like to see our OL become some serious road-graders, like the Hogs for the Redskins in the 80's or the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys of the 90's (or even the Rams OL of the mid/late 80's). Those lines could push around most defensive lines and you almost never saw their backs get stuffed in the backfield. We need to do something different, because while I respect the Bengals DL, we should have been able to run on them last night and we simply couldn't.
I agree and I think run game improvement is on the offseason plan. It has to be.

They upgraded the pass game and got the championship but the run game faltered badly. Guys leaving in FA insinuates retool. Seems like improvement there is the focus, or should be.

Rams won't fall into the trap of "let's run the same team back." Because that won't work IMO.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I agree and I think run game improvement is on the offseason plan. It has to be.

They upgraded the pass game and got the championship but the run game faltered badly. Guys leaving in FA insinuates retool. Seems like improvement there is the focus, or should be.

Rams won't fall into the trap of "let's run the same team back." Because that won't work IMO.

As much as I'll miss Whitworth, I'm kind of glad that he's retiring because it will almost necessitate a retool. I think we let Corbett walk as well, which further add to that necessity.

jjab360

Legend
They're also major parts of a Super Bowl caliber OL and part of why our pass protection has been so good over the course of the season.

All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. One weak link on the OL and everything can fall apart offensively. If we had started someone like Bobby Evans the entire season we're likely not sitting where we are right now.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

What you are asking for is not beyond our ability, although getting the front office to apply resources here has been a struggle.

I'm sure you recall last season when half this board was frantic for drafting OL players as early in the draft as possible. We all watched in astonishment as Creed Humphrey was left on the board while we went with TuTu Atwell, even a small trade down could have gotten us Quinn Meinerz ... and with each pick thereafter no offensive lineman was taken at all in 2021 until some smart soul snatched Alaric Jackson from the remnants of the UDFA heap. For 2020, the Rams only drafted one player, and that with our absolute last pick in the 7'th round, the 250'th player overall, Tremayne Anchrum. The 2019 draft brought us 2 offensive linemen, Evans & Edwards, in the 3'rd & 5'th rounds respectively. Evans has been a jag and Edwards mostly mediocre in an OG role, but at least a reliable starter. Both become eligible free agents following the 2022 season. So I'd say by necessity that the Rams will draft IOL during our next draft, although they've certainly surprised us before, and just how high they are willing to move up to secure quality talent, well ... who knows.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
They're also major parts of a Super Bowl caliber OL and part of why our pass protection has been so good over the course of the season.

All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. One weak link on the OL and everything can fall apart offensively. If we had started someone like Bobby Evans the entire season we're likely not sitting where we are right now.
I know what you mean. I also think we need to get the running game going again if we want to repeat. Don't want to put it all on Stafford's shoulders again.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Corbett is playing somewhat out of position, I believe. Is he not best at LG? But I agree, neither is worth big money, IMO. You can never have enough capable linemen, especially that can play multiple positions. I would keep Corbett if feasible but would not overpay. Again, not worth top dollar IMO.

Corbett started his career with the Rams at LG in 2019, about midway thru the season while injuries on the OL were piling up. Edwards also entered this baptism of fire close to the same time and for the same reasons, Edwards was placed at RG. Although unannounced, I believe when they switched positions at the beginning of 2020, it was likely because Edwards became a magnet for penalties at LG the season prior. Edwards started the final 10 games of 2019, Corbett the final 7 as he was brought in as a late trade with Cleveland, and of course, the infamous Austin Blythe was moved into the Center position.
I'd favor moving Corbett back to LG and moving Edwards to a back-up role as an OT, but we'd still need to find a way to pay Corbett and acquire a quality starting RG, and as tight as we are with the CAP and the draft, I'm not really sure we can swing it.
jmo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He will still have a cap hit, he will have a base salary. Not like he'll be playing for vet minimum. Maybe a 1 year 10 mill deal with incentives?
I doubt it after a second acl injury on same knee.
He won’t even be ready until October, on the early side.
No one is giving him 10 mil for half a season just off injury.

oldnotdead

Legend
Havenstein's play does not justify his cap number. Everyone is raving about his play but I don't see it. He still gets beat by speed and power and isn't the road grader you want at RT.

Noteboom's play has been on par with Whit's. Retiring isn't going to be an option for Whit. I would expect that Joe will be the starting LT next year.

Allen's play has been improving with experience. He's proving to be a good center.

Edwards continues to be the weak link on the OL. If anyone is out of position it's him. No sand, poor technique needs to strengthen and gets overpowered.

You can't overpay for the OL and IMO Corbett is a serviceable OG. He needs to improve his technique but he's serviceable.

Draft or sign a FA OG to replace Edwards and draft an OG to develop behind Corbett. Continue to develop Blanton as a true blocking TE. This is Carberry's first year with these guys and his OL has shown marked improvement. That said it's still a work in progress. The problem with the run is only partially at OG. Too many missed blocks or failure to push the DL off the LOS in short yardage. Not all of the problems in the run attack are due to a lack of road grading interior OL. The Rams need to decide exactly what kind of run attack they want. I still say if Sean insists upon staying with a power run scheme he needs a true FB. Using Benny Sko isn't working because it's too slow to consistently pull him from outside to make a wham block. Also, too many OLBs know that is his role and will simply follow Benny to the POA as he pulls. It's an obvious read. If you are going to run a power run game then damn it do it right which means a FB. Your FB is your bulldozer.

Lorenzo Neal was one of the best true FBs I've seen. He was 5'11" about 270-275 lbs with a wrestling background. He understood how to play with leverage against bigger DL and LBs. Juszczyk is a good FB but at 6'1" 250 lbs he's a bit too tall IMO. As you can see Kyle is built like a LB and has that same mentality of playing physically.

Too many runs were stopped because the LBs would fill the holes and Skow was late with his block having to pull so far. Skow isn't a power blocker, that isn't his background. On too many of Skow's blocks he's either late, or simply outmatched. He blocks like a WR which is to impede. A lead block needs to be a road grader.

Allen can provide a double with Corbett, and if they have a good blocking LG they can open the holes on the interior. But the Rams are lacking a road grading lead block to not just impede the MIKE but to blow him off the LOS, Benny Skow isn't going to do that. The ILBs simply fill the A gaps and the run stalls. That is what makes the 49er run attack so consistent It's not just the interior runs that would benefit, but having a true lead blocking FB will benefit the perimeter run game as well.

The run game is inconsistent because McVay isn't as committed to it as he is to the passing game. It's not like a FB will cost draft capital. A mid or late-round pick is all it would cost. Sean's continued lack of true commitment to the run game is the real problem. McVay is too committed to a finesse offense, that when they must play a straight-up in your face style they simply aren't built for it in either personnel or style of play. The 49ers are built to run the ball, control the TOP and don't care if you know they are going to run or not.

IMO McVay is too invested in his 11 personnel and that is a huge part of the problem in the run attack. McVay struggles to protect a lead because he can't transition to a power run attack to run out the clock. His scheme and offensive personnel aren't built for it. You can have both, I've seen it but it requires a commitment to the run just like his pass attack requires an equal commitment. Adding a true FB and a true LG will go a long way in changing the ability to run the ball.

Also, trying to run a power inside run attack without a FB leaves the Ram RBs open to taking too much punishment. McVay learned nothing from Gurley's experience. Let a bigger back like a FB take that punishment. Sony's 3-4 yard runs will become 8-10 yard plays. McVay's lack of commitment to the run attack, i.e. getting the right personnel to run a power scheme because he's too afraid it will tip the play is foolish. Just look at the Shottenheimer offense run by the Chargers with Tomlinson and Neal. With Neal their play action looked totally convincing. The LBs had to honor it.

The bottom line is that the OL is only partially the problem in the run attack. This team is only 1 good LG and a FB away from being able to run the ball consistently.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
IMO McVay is too invested in his 11 personnel and that is a huge part of the problem in the run attack.
Well, with Woods and OBJ coming off ACL's (assuming they invest in OBJ), he may be forced to run more 12 personnel and tweak his scheme a bit. If he takes a little more of the SF run scheme, and pair that with Stafford and a good defense, they could be better next year as long as they don't have a SB hangover.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll create the cap room we need with restructures and extensions. We'll keep most of our guys. I don't see us chasing any big FA names. We'll try to get comp picks again. I expect we'll consider some possible cuts from other squads. And there might be a vet or two who wants to come here to ring chase.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Havenstein's play does not justify his cap number. Everyone is raving about his play but I don't see it. He still gets beat by speed and power and isn't the road grader you want at RT.
Havenstein is one of the best RTs in football. I don't know how you don't see it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams in solid salary cap shape to make a run at a repeat in 2022​

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 15, 2022
1644971410886.png

At first blush, the Rams would appear to be heading into the 2022 season in rough salary cap shape, with current contracts that put them over the 2022 cap before they sign a single free agent. But in reality, the Rams can easily get under the cap for the upcoming season, without cutting anyone.

The Rams could create more than $70 million in cap space with simple restructures, via OverTheCap.com. That means they can take players’ current 2022 base salaries, which hit the entire 2022 salary cap, and convert most of that money into signing bonuses, with cap hits that are spread out equally over all the remaining years of the players’ contracts.

The Rams have several players who have big 2022 salaries that can be converted into signing bonuses: Just six players (Matthew Stafford, Jalen Ramsey, Cooper Kupp, Leonard Floyd, Robert Woods and Aaron Donald) have deals that could be restructured to create more than $60 million in cap space.

And while the Rams do have a lot of expensive players under contract in 2022, that’s a good thing, as it shows that they’re not at risk of losing many key players in free agency. Von Miller is the top player from the Super Bowl roster who will become a free agent next month, and the Rams can certainly create enough cap space to pay Miller to re-sign.

The biggest loss for the 2022 Rams may be Odell Beckham Jr., who tore his ACL in the Super Bowl. Beckham is a free agent, but whether he re-signs with the Rams or not, there’s a good chance he’ll miss the entire 2022 regular season because of his knee.

In the long term, the Rams may have some trouble sustaining their roster, given that they traded away their next two first-round draft picks for Stafford and traded away this year’s second- and third-round picks for Miller. And if Donald retires, that would be a huge loss for their roster. But as far as the salary cap is concerned, the Rams are in fine shape.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah IMO the Rams need Stafford to take a discount. At least in terms of his cap hit in specific years, but hopefully he's past the ego requirement of being the most paid. 9 is chasing rings. So maybe just maybe he's learned enough and is financially secure enough to allow for that.

Dilfer mentioned that btw and I thought he had a great interview with Eisen. Say what you want about Dilfer, might be a bad QB but he's a very knowledgeable analyst and is perceptive too which not all these guys in the media are.

He also mentioned that the OL is your offensive consistency, not your skill guys. Which I think is astute in today's highlight age of media madness. Game to game it's the bigs as he says that do that for you. We saw this with the Rams, where a winless November led to McVay balancing his call sheet. I mean even in that Super Bowl he got mid-20s carries, when there was nothing going at all. To me that speaks to him ensuring the OL is not being teed off on, allowing them to fire off a bit and keeping the Bengals playing the run game. In fact that late Akers carry was another good example of that.

So going forward. Does McVay think he's got enough up front? It is going to make this offseason very interesting.