FA and Cap Outlook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Here is the issue, the NFC has a better path to the Super Bowl Von, and nobody truly wants to play in Green Bay...Freezing the Reason!
Rams cannot pay $18m/yr but they can provide fun in the sun, a run it back roster and incomparable Sofi palace accommodations. Rams Nation would be so blessed to get a full year of Donald/Miller.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Njoku, Schultz and brown for KC getting the franchise tag so far.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Von is teasing a DEN return.

IF he leaves, we traded a 2nd and a 3rd for 2/3 of a season and he was pivotal in our SB win.

But, damn, that'd hurt.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good input from everyone.

My crystal ball says that Allen, Corbett are gone because the Rams don't pay IOL and will replenish internally. Whit will retire. Boom will be re-signed and everyone will complain it's too expensive.

The overall FA money and emphasis will lean more towards the offense over the defense because prime AD & Ramsey are still the foundation that allows you to experiment around them. I don't see Von returning because he'll be very unaffordable. They'll plug guys in there and hope to get more production from Lewis, Garrett or maybe a vet castoff from elsewhere. I could see a mid level FA splash at CB. I think DWill is gone. They'll draft more DB's and more EDGE guys and continue to coach them up like they've done.

Stafford is beyond middle-aged in football years so you have to act accordingly and take advantage of that and keep the pantry full of weapons. Kupp, Woody & OBJ will be a thing this year. I don't see Higbee getting cut yet, unless the Rams get a shot at bringing in a new vet elite"ish" Left Tackle and they need the money. They'll spend and/or move future assets to secure LT for sure because Stafford.

Basically, i think Von & Higbee are the big wild cards as to whether or not the Rams have to make sacrifices to make the '22 roster work, as well as future rosters. As a side, i think if the Rams had come up short in the Super bowl, they no doubt bring Von back to try again.

IMO Stafford will be the one major contract restructure that will basically allow the Rams to keep the offense together.

JMO based on how the Rams have done things in the past, coming off of a championship season and where they are now. I'm enjoying all the opinions and analysis folks. The offseason sure does feel shorter with a Lombardi trophy in hand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Had they not won a SB, there would be more pressure to bring Miller back, but now I don't see us overpaying for him.

Go get another ring chasing rental, like Melvin Ingram. He would do well here. He made a big improvement to KCs D after he signed there mid-season. Can't see why he wouldn't do the same here.

MachS

Hall of Fame

IF he leaves, we traded a 2nd and a 3rd for 2/3 of a season and he was pivotal in our SB win.

But, damn, that'd hurt.
Yea I saw that today and it pissed me off. But he played lights out down the stretch and is going to make a LOT of money. I personally think he is our most important FA to resign, given how he takes pressure off AD. I'd rather release or trade Floyd to keep Von if we could. This could be a negotiating ploy, but it could potentially hurt us signing our FAs. Best case scenario is Whit retires and we resign Noteboom for cheaper than Whit so we get savings at LT. Then we probably only sign one of Corbett/Allen. But IDK If Von wants 20M per year that could be too rich for us. That is why I was against signing Floyd who has a $20M cap hit this year. $20M for an OLB who is not elite is so insane to me. He's a very good player but OLBs of Von's caliber are the ones who should be making $20M. That contract might have handcuffed us in negotiations with Von because can we spend $40M on two OLBs?? With AD set to get a huuuuge raise?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Yea I saw that today and it pissed me off. But he played lights out down the stretch and is going to make a LOT of money. I personally think he is our most important FA to resign, given how he takes pressure off AD. I'd rather release or trade Floyd to keep Von if we could. This could be a negotiating ploy, but it could potentially hurt us signing our FAs. Best case scenario is Whit retires and we resign Noteboom for cheaper than Whit so we get savings at LT. Then we probably only sign one of Corbett/Allen. But IDK If Von wants 20M per year that could be too rich for us. That is why I was against signing Floyd who has a $20M cap hit this year. $20M for an OLB who is not elite is so insane to me. He's a very good player but OLBs of Von's caliber are the ones who should be making $20M. That contract might have handcuffed us in negotiations with Von because can we spend $40M on two OLBs?? With AD set to get a huuuuge raise?
Von certainly helped take the pressure off AD, but also AD took the pressure off Von. When Fowler was here, AD still played well. It's a tricky situation.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And people thought we’d get him for $10m a year which is less than the franchise tag.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Von certainly helped take the pressure off AD, but also AD took the pressure off Von. When Fowler was here, AD still played well. It's a tricky situation.
Very true but Von is a different level of rusher..hes truly elite and was elite for years before ever playing next to AD. AD has never played with anyone like him. Not to mention how Von helped bring out AD's voice and leadership which we haven't really seen before this year. Any OLB will put up stats and sack numbers playing next to AD. But Von can be counted on to win when it matters most, on those critical downs in critical moments. I mean look at the playoffs. Whereas if Floyd went to another team away from AD he would have like 4 sacks a year. Same with Fowler. There's just levels to this shit and I dont think we should let Von walk out the door IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

But, damn, that'd hurt.
He's not the only edge but I love his game. He's actually physical while also being a nasty edge threat on the rush.

Still there are going to be some other options worst-case. And the draft fwiw is said to have great depth at edge, though I have not looked at them at all. Just started looking at some offensive types so far. Generally good rushers don't drop but never know maybe they can hit on a Lewis type or guy who had some behavior flags or something and drops due to that.

Floyd produces. He is required in this division, to have a strong side edge like him who can contain and thrash TEs. But I do think they will restructure him. He is a key guy for us.

I'd keep him over Von. Simply because he's got a lot of ball left. Von might punch out at any time. But yeah I do want to see a restructure of Floyd and sign Von because then both edges have big physical badasses, plus AD inside.

Oh and btw... If the Rams were to move AD they could still get a shit ton for him. I don't want him traded. Just throwing that out there, given him wanting a contract redo already. If he's a guy who is going to want to be most paid every couple seasons there will be a breakpoint where you want to move him in that business model. But he does seem like he might retire before all that so we'll see.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Man Stafford contract will possibly pay 45 mil per year......wtf?! That plus paying Donald a shit ton more is not going to help us in retaining FAs. Everyone wants their raise after getting a chip. Think we are going to see a lot of losses to FA the way it's looking at the moment.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I'm Stafford right now I'd sign a long and backloaded deal with cheap hits the next few seasons for multiple shots at extending that legacy and resume.

MachS

Hall of Fame
He's not the only edge but I love his game. He's actually physical while also being a nasty edge threat on the rush.

Still there are going to be some other options worst-case. And the draft fwiw is said to have great depth at edge, though I have not looked at them at all. Just started looking at some offensive types so far. Generally good rushers don't drop but never know maybe they can hit on a Lewis type or guy who had some behavior flags or something and drops due to that.

Floyd produces. He is required in this division, to have a strong side edge like him who can contain and thrash TEs. But I do think they will restructure him. He is a key guy for us.

I'd keep him over Von. Simply because he's got a lot of ball left. Von might punch out at any time. But yeah I do want to see a restructure of Floyd and sign Von because then both edges have big physical badasses, plus AD inside.

Oh and btw... If the Rams were to move AD they could still get a shit ton for him. I don't want him traded. Just throwing that out there, given him wanting a contract redo already. If he's a guy who is going to want to be most paid every couple seasons there will be a breakpoint where you want to move him in that business model. But he does seem like he might retire before all that so we'll see.
Edge rushers are so important in this defense. First year we put an elite rusher next to AD we win a super bowl. Defensive line and pass rush dominated against AZ, against Brady, closed out the SF game, closed out the SB. There's no way that happens without Von. Im not trying to shit on Floyd, he's a nice player. But no way should he be making $20M as an OLB. And there's no world where I would keep him over Von. I think Flo has too much dead $ to move anyways so doubt that's an option, but just reinforcing my point that when you pay good players elite money it handcuffs you. If we lose Von because Floyd is making $20M already that is such a travesty.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Im not trying to shit on Floyd, he's a nice player. But no way should he be making $20M as an OLB. And there's no world where I would keep him over Von. I think Flo has too much dead $ to move anyways so doubt that's an option, but just reinforcing my point that when you pay good players elite money it handcuffs you. If we lose Von because Floyd is making $20M already that is such a travesty.

Thats a good debate.

Floyd = Von in run assignment. Slight edge Von. Floyd does all his assignments well, though.

Von > Floyd in pass run. No debate, but Floyd is notch up from Fowler.

Floyd > Von in pass assignment. Floyd covers well for a OLB.

Floyd > Von in age.

Von > Floyd in wisdom.

It goes on.

I think age may trump it all, IMO. Floyd is key in many ways to what this defense wants to scheme up.